PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes vs Rolando McClain

Mr. Laz
01-16-2010, 04:16 PM
found an interesting write up about about the two linebackers ... too long to copy paste because of the video evidence the guy uses to show his points.

http://www.universaldraft.com/2009/12/31/lowering-the-boom-lb-brandon-spikes-vs-lb-rolondo-mcclain-sec-championship/

keg in kc
01-16-2010, 04:46 PM
That's one of the more extensive analyses I've ever seen.

DeezNutz
01-16-2010, 07:10 PM
My argument against taking McClain at #5 is that there isn't enough of a drop-off between him and Spikes, assuming the latter is available at the top of round 2. The final paragraph of this piece dovetails to my point:

"To finish, I don’t actually think either of them played very well in the SEC Title game. They both had a couple of impact plays. McClain flashed his excellent ability to get out to the perimeter and make plays as well as showing excellent lane discipline to not allow the Gator’s army of small and lightning quick runners to cut back inside against the grain and pick up big yardage a la Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans. Spikes made a couple of very good plays to disengage in the 2nd quarter on the same drive to make tackles on Ingram and Upchurch respectively, but had back to back to back plays where he was taken out of plays by his inability to get off a block, either between the hashes or on the edge. I think both are relatively sound prospects with some upside. Both have issues that will show up in the NFL – some can be masked be scheme and coaching, others not. With regards Miami, both players make decent sense. McClain could come in and be a captain on the field at ILB alongside Channing Crowder. What you would get is a very solid run defending player, who will generally play mistake free football but, much like Crowder, might not make play after play behind the line of scrimmage. Spikes would be the sort of player who you could be a little more versatile with and line up at either SOLB or WOLB in obvious passing situations as well as manning the ILB spot on regular downs, although you would have concerns that his problematic areas would lead to too many big plays which might have been avoided. I believe there would be less positive plays made at the second level and at the perimeter, although covering a half of the field rather than the entire field might work in his favour when it comes to angles and trying to eliminate his ability to over run a play."

Saccopoo
01-16-2010, 11:21 PM
My argument against taking McClain at #5 is that there isn't enough of a drop-off between him and Spikes, assuming the latter is available at the top of round 2. The final paragraph of this piece dovetails to my point:

I'm not wondering about the drop off between Spikes and McClain. I'm more interested in the separation between those two and guys like Sean Lee and Daryll Washington, and then the difference between those two and guys like Joe Pawelek, Pat Angerer, Jamar Cheney and Micah Johnson.

It's a pretty talented ILB class this year, much like the safeties.

Makes me wonder if we won't actually see a OT like Okung taken with the first pick and then pick up a S and ILB later in the draft.

Wilson8
01-17-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm really looking forward to the NFL draft this year for Kansas City. There is so many different draft possibilities. I'm an optimist but we could see both Eric Berry and Brandon Spikes be available to us. If Berry is gone in the first then Rolando McClain would look great with that first pick and then later draft a safety like Nate Allen from South Florida. If KC goes with an OT with their first pick then maybe we see ILB TCU Daryl Washington being drafted. KC has to improve on starting Corey Mays at ILB and Mike Brown at safety. There are several ways through the draft the Chiefs might do it.

milkman
01-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm not wondering about the drop off between Spikes and McClain. I'm more interested in the separation between those two and guys like Sean Lee and Daryll Washington, and then the difference between those two and guys like Joe Pawelek, Pat Angerer, Jamar Cheney and Micah Johnson.

It's a pretty talented ILB class this year, much like the safeties.

Makes me wonder if we won't actually see a OT like Okung taken with the first pick and then pick up a S and ILB later in the draft.

**** Russell Okung.

Of all the potential first picks for this team, would be the worst possible, and it ain't even close.

Stupid mother****ers.

Willie Lanier
01-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Personally, even surrendering that I may be somewhat biased, I see a HUGE drop off between Rolando and everyone else. Spikes has his strengths (tackling technique, system recognition, above average explosion). I view linebacker as a priority regardless of scheme; every defense needs your Butkus leader... My eyes show me Rolando as Dick, Spikes as a poor man's Takeo Spikes

DeezNutz
01-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Berry, Spikes.

Pretty nice back-to-back selections.

BossChief
01-17-2010, 09:58 AM
I just like the way his personality meshes with what we would need from that pick. The way he talks about the importance of preparation and film study making the difference between the good players and not so good players. This is an interview from before the season:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C43rASAA-KY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C43rASAA-KY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I think he will grow into a Ray Lewis type leader (that is who he says he models his game after in the interview) in the NFL and will help everyone else learn the defense. I know he said he doesnt like doing the whole media thing, but he will be the face of the defense if he is drafted and has a smile like Tomlinsons that will be good for marketing as well.

The only thing that would take him off my pick is if he runs too slow at the combine to warrant that high a pick.

Willie Lanier
01-17-2010, 10:08 AM
"As for Spikes, he’s the more athletic"
(from the afore mentioned article)

I completely disagree, by technical training he may post a superior 40, (I doubt he will) but his functional athleticism (quick twitch burst) pales in comparison. From there factor in Rolando's schematic advantage (film room hours) and work ethic (low risk of injury/ peak physical condition), and at least for me the disparity becomes vast.

All that said, although I would whole-heartedly support the selection of Rolando, I still harbor soft spots for both Eric Berry and Taylor Mays...

Eric's selection would allow another favorite of mine Brandon Graham to be selected with one of the two second round picks (with some luck).

I have little doubt that after the combine the nonsensical fear of Mays' coverage abilities will be assuaged, propelling his draft status back into the mid first

RustShack
01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Chiefs fans who are stupid enough to say we should draft Okung should seriously consider killing themselves or not watching football anymore. Because IF you have watched Okung play, and you've watched Albert play, and you still feel that way then you are literally football retarded.

BossChief
01-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Should we take Ray Lewis? Ed Reed? Reggie White? Chris Johnson?

NAH, lets take John fuggin Tait (Okung)!!!!

JFC, I hope we arent that dumb.

Bowser
01-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Berry, Spikes.

Pretty nice back-to-back selections.

Yes. And throw in Alexander/Shipley with that other 2nd, and you have a first day full of win.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2010, 12:07 PM
People need to understand that each pick does not occur in a vacuum.

Would you rather have McClain and Darryl Stuckey or Eric Berry and Micah Johnson?

You could probably get both for your 1st and 4th round picks.

JRS2
01-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I have noticed that people who use a lot of profanity are usually unintelligent. Have you ever noticed that?

keg in kc
01-17-2010, 11:34 PM
I have noticed that people who use a lot of profanity are usually unintelligent. Have you ever noticed that?Some of us just don't feel constrained by the notion that certain words are somehow "bad". Ooga booga.

CoMoChief
01-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd rather trade down and pick up S Taylor Mays, pick up another 2nd rd pick and a 4th

1. SS Taylor Mays - USC
2. MLB Brandon Spikes - FLORIDA
2. OG Mike Iupati - IDAHO
2. OLB Eric Norwood - S.CAROLINA
3. WR Mardy Gilyard - CINCY
4. WR Denario Alexander - MIZZOU
4. RB Montario Hardesty - TEN
5. OT Chris Scott - TEN
5. QB Max Hall - BYU
6. BPA
7. BPA

milkman
01-18-2010, 10:39 PM
People need to understand that each pick does not occur in a vacuum.

Would you rather have McClain and Darryl Stuckey or Eric Berry and Micah Johnson?

You could probably get both for your 1st and 4th round picks.

Speculation is that Micah Johnson may not be able to work out for teams before the draft, so he may fall even further down the board.

Might be able to pick him up in the 5th or later.

the Talking Can
01-19-2010, 07:30 AM
huge mcclain fan, but conflicted because the more i think about him I think he is a half-notch below a player like Willis, in raw athleticism, though I think we desperately need his intangibles on defense: work ethic, film study, commitment etc....he'd be ideal at 10-15...

need and value are never going to align for us though, as long as we have top 5 picks and refuse to take a QB...

Clausen
Berry
Spiller
Mays/McClain

ModSocks
01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
We have so many holes that they really can't do any wrong as long as they don't go Oline in the 1st. Whether it be McClain, Berry, Mays, Bryant, Suh....it doesn't matter, all would be immediate upgrades for this team.