PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV FOOD,inc is a very interesting film

RNR
01-17-2010, 09:09 AM
I rented this the other night and suggest that anyone who has not watched it should!

bishop_74
01-17-2010, 09:14 AM
So is it a film that shows you all the nasty processing our food goes through, or is it an informative film that sheds light on the industry. I just don't want to watch an animal slasher film.

whatsmynameagain
01-17-2010, 09:18 AM
So is it a film that shows you all the nasty processing our food goes through, or is it an informative film that sheds light on the industry. I just don't want to watch an animal slasher film.

they did a great job of keeping the animal slashing to a minimum. its more about vegetables really, and how the corporations and our gubment is cashing in.

to dc in 5, 4, 3,......
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
01-17-2010, 09:19 AM

And what makes you think "all the nasty processing our food goes through" and "an informative film that sheds light on the industry" are mutually exclusive?

RNR
01-17-2010, 09:21 AM
they did a great job of keeping the animal slashing to a minimum. its more about vegetables really, and how the corporations and our gubment is cashing in.

to dc in 5, 4, 3,......
Posted via Mobile Device

I started to post it in DC. But I really see little argument defending those called out in the movie.

RNR
01-17-2010, 09:24 AM

It is far from a gross out film. It just shows the impact big corporations are having on our food supply. It was very interesting to me and well worth a watch IMO

Skip Towne
01-17-2010, 09:30 AM
What prompted you to rent that film?

boogblaster
01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Yea after my buddy told me bout a soup factory he worked in at arkansas Ill never eat chicken soup again .. stupid hillbillies shittin and pissin in the soup vates .. never again .. BOOG OUTT ....

teedubya
01-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Back in they day there used to be 1000s of Meat processing plants... now there are like 4-5 major ones, according to the film.

Also, the multinational corporations who run most of the food in America... and how everything has corn products in it.

I've watched about half of it... need to watch the second half.

It's pretty eye opening.

RNR
01-17-2010, 09:43 AM
What prompted you to rent that film?

I watched a trailer of it while watching another movie. I was interested in the subject because of the growing number of over weight people I see. I used to think it was because kids now days sit inside playing video games. But it is amazing to me that when I am in public the over weight people out number people who are not. I hear about how diabetes is at epidemic levels in this country. Curiosity lead me to watch it and I now think it is a must see film for everyone. Politics aside this is a very educational film~

Bwana
01-17-2010, 09:45 AM
I watched a trailer of it while watching another movie. I was interested in the subject because of the growing number of over weight people I see. I used to think it was because kids now days sit inside playing video games. But it is amazing to me that when I am in public the over weight people out number people who are not. I hear about how diabetes is at epidemic levels in this country. Curiosity lead me to watch it and I now think it is a must see film for everyone. Politics aside this is a very educational film~

I'm going to check it out. :thumb:

Silock
01-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Good film, if a bit alarmist.

I still buy local free-range meats and local organic produce. I do it because it's better for you, and not because I'm scared of Big Meat and Produce.

JD10367
01-17-2010, 09:49 AM
The corn-syrup people have been fighting back with lame ads of things like two moms talking, and the first one says, "You know what they've been saying about corn syrup," and the other shooting back with, "What, that it's made from corn?" As if that fact makes it good for you. Hey, moonshine can be made from corn, too... let's all drink a gallon of it a day!

Anything free range and/or organic = smaller markets or farm = less processing, less chemicals, less chance for something to be snuck in there to be bad for you. It's akin to going to McDonald's vs. going to a small, well-run, independent restaurant. Common sense.

RNR
01-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Good film, if a bit alarmist.

I still buy local free-range meats and local organic produce. I do it because it's better for you, and not because I'm scared of Big Meat and Produce.

I do not fear anything of the sort. I just think the movie will help people take pause and think about what they are eating. Many like myself shop at major chains and think we are buying healthy food. I plan on doing much more shopping at local farmers markets and buying all of my meat from a local grass fed meat locker from now on~

Silock
01-17-2010, 09:57 AM
I do not fear anything of the sort. I just think the movie will help people take pause and think about what they are eating. Many like myself shop and major chains and think we are buying healthy food. I plan on doing much more shopping at local farmers markets and buying all of my meat from a local grass fed meat locker from now on~

Oh, I know. I'm not scared of the products, but it's appalling what they do to the animals. That one farmer with his own ranch seemed like a cool dude. I'd like to hang out with him.

RNR
01-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Oh, I know. I'm not scared of the products, but it's appalling what they do to the animals. That one farmer with his own ranch seemed like a cool dude. I'd like to hang out with him.
The guy is just trying to make a living as are all shown in the movie. It sheds a bad light on big corps but shows the people are doing what they have to do to survive. I don't blame them one bit and would do the same to feed my family if I had to. It is up to us the consumers to change the demand~

JD10367
01-17-2010, 10:07 AM
The guy is just trying to make a living as are all shown in the movie. It sheds a bad light on big corps but shows the people are doing what they have to do to survive. I don't blame them one bit and would do the same to feed my family if I had to. It is up to us the consumers to change the demand~

Well, I think people are, albeit slowly. I'm on the East Coast, which is probably more progressive about this stuff, but there's certainly a noticable increase in healthier options, even in the local big-box supermarkets. Whole Foods (formerly Bread and Circus around here) has gone from a small, "crunchy-granola" place where the weirdos shop to a large and busy supermarket. Trader Joe's has made inroads. I don't know the numbers, but I'd think people are eating less meat, and healthier choices when they do. Big-box supermarkets now sell organic options in their own small store areas, and intermingle the free-range chicken eggs and growth-hormone-free milk in with the regular selections. None of this is the ultimate solution to turning everyone healthy but, overall, it's probably better than not.

Lzen
01-17-2010, 10:10 AM
I just added this film to my Netflix queue. It is even available as an instant.

On a related note....Has anyone seen the Penn and Teller Bullshit episode on the organic food industry? That is quite eye opening, as well.

Reaper16
01-17-2010, 11:01 AM
The film is important because it brings food politics to the relative mainstream. This importance allows me to overlook the fact that the whole film is basically a rehashing of two books: Fast Food Nation and the decade's most important book, The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Everyone should watch it. Like, it should be required viewing.

whatsmynameagain
01-17-2010, 11:20 AM
i find it interesting how the politics and religion in animal/human cloning vs the politics in genetically engineered fruits and veggies. why people want to fuck with nature is beyond me. the natural processes that we destroy or replace are dnagerous in the long run.
Posted via Mobile Device

RNR
01-17-2010, 11:26 AM
i find it interesting how the politics and religion in animal/human cloning vs the politics in genetically engineered fruits and veggies. why people want to **** with nature is beyond me. the natural processes that we destroy or replace are dnagerous in the long run.
Posted via Mobile Device

The smarter we get the dumber we are I guess~

irishjayhawk
01-17-2010, 11:34 AM
The film is important because it brings food politics to the relative mainstream. This importance allows me to overlook the fact that the whole film is basically a rehashing of two books: Fast Food Nation and the decade's most important book, The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Everyone should watch it. Like, it should be required viewing.

Is FFN worth reading?

Reaper16
01-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Is FFN worth reading?
I never read it. That may be surprising.

irishjayhawk
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
I never read it. That may be surprising.

Yes, yes it is. I figured it was the fictional version of Omnivore's Dilemma, which should be required reading.

whatsmynameagain
01-17-2010, 11:38 AM
The smarter we get the dumber we are I guess~

i had ecoli when i was 3 from chicken i ate at daycare. the story in the movie was almost identical to mine except i lived. my mom could have sued the pants off those bastards but didnt. looking back on it she should have..
Posted via Mobile Device

RNR
01-17-2010, 11:44 AM
i had ecoli when i was 3 from chicken i ate at daycare. the story in the movie was almost identical to mine except i lived. my mom could have sued the pants off those bastards but didnt. looking back on it she should have..
Posted via Mobile Device

That sucks but sadly they most likely would have unleashed their legion of lawyers and buried her in legal fees running her broke. Cool you survived something that could have just as easily killed you~

NewChief
01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, yes it is. I figured it was the fictional version of Omnivore's Dilemma, which should be required reading.

It's actually non-fiction. They chose to make the movie adaptation into fiction in order to give it a narrative (they book is very journalistic in nature and would require a documentary type film).

The book is excellent.

RNR
01-17-2010, 11:50 AM
It's actually non-fiction. They chose to make the movie adaptation into fiction in order to give it a narrative (they book is very journalistic in nature and would require a documentary type film).

The book is excellent.
What did you think about FOOD, inc the movie?

NewChief
01-17-2010, 01:09 PM
What did you think about FOOD, inc the movie?

I haven't gotten to see it yet. I know that it does cover a lot of the same ground as Omnivore's Dilemma. Like Reaper said, I consider it one of the best, more important books of the last 10 years, and it's probably had more impact on the way I, and my family, live our lives than any other book I've read.

stevieray
01-17-2010, 01:18 PM
it will make you both mad and sad.

we've been creating a shit ton of diabetics.

Sure-Oz
01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I saw that on netflix instant in hd, it was pretty informative

RNR
01-17-2010, 01:29 PM
it will make you both mad and sad.

we've been creating a shit ton of diabetics.

It is up to us to turn the tide as we can force change. As they said in the movie we vote three times a day~

Chris Meck
01-17-2010, 01:30 PM
People should be aware of what they're eating and how that affects them. You really are what you eat. Cattle are bought and sold by ground weight. So the idea is to get the cows as heavy as possible. So think about that: How healthy would YOU be if the idea was to get you as heavy as possible?

Which is not even considering the fact that all the hormones they inject them with to reach these weights (like ESTROGEN) remain in the meat, and you eat it.

I try to eat less meat, and eat local/organic/grass fed/free range whenever possible. It does cost more-but it also tastes SO much better than the corporate stuff it's really not even funny.

Reaper16
01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
If America ate better then I suspect it wouldn't spend nearly as much on healthcare.

stevieray
01-17-2010, 01:40 PM
It is up to us to turn the tide as we can force change. As they said in the movie we vote three times a day~

and yet, everytime you drive by mickey d's, the drive thru is packed.

...it's like the wal mart of food.

cdirty
01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
yea i watched it the other nite.

very interesting.

RNR
01-17-2010, 02:11 PM
If America ate better then I suspect it wouldn't spend nearly as much on healthcare.

That is a very safe bet, but then we would start hurting the Pharmaceutical drug cartels that sell us the drugs that don't cure but maintain us and the government will not allow that~

BWillie
01-17-2010, 02:14 PM
If it makes my meat cheaper, I'm all for it.

Lbedrock1
01-17-2010, 03:45 PM
I do not fear anything of the sort. I just think the movie will help people take pause and think about what they are eating. Many like myself shop at major chains and think we are buying healthy food. I plan on doing much more shopping at local farmers markets and buying all of my meat from a local grass fed meat locker from now on~

What you just said is what people should get out of the film. We should all push to help farmers open up there own chain of Grocery stores to keep out the Big Corps from controlling our food supply. Only naturally fed animals in those stores. Big Corps run our Goverment so they dont care about nothing but profits and Im sure they dont feed there families the same stuff they allow to go out to us. Money and health dont mix becasue they will let money rise to the top everytime.

Bowser
01-17-2010, 10:35 PM
My wife has us in a CSA. I give her shit for being a tree hugging hippie sometimes, but the food we get from it really does taste better, imo, and it's without all (or nearly all) of the shit they put on the stuff in the grocery store. We also try to but as much local free range meat as possible, and that meat really does taste different/better.

Bowser
01-17-2010, 10:37 PM
And she recommends watching King Corn, if you enjoyed Food Inc. Very educational on the high fructose corn syrup front.

NewChief
01-17-2010, 11:25 PM
What's crazy to me is how much the food dialog has changed in the last few years. At one time, just mentioning organic (which I'm not a huge fan of... see Pollan's arguments against Big Organic if you want to know why) on a football discussion board would mark you as a fringe wackjob hippie treehugger. Now the whole conscious food movement is reaching into all the different niches of our culture and becoming more and more common.

Reaper16
01-17-2010, 11:27 PM
What's crazy to me is how much the food dialog has changed in the last few years. At one time, just mentioning organic (which I'm not a huge fan of... see Pollan's arguments against Big Organic if you want to know why) on a football discussion board would mark you as a fringe wackjob hippie treehugger. Now the whole conscious food movement is reaching into all the different niches of our culture and becoming more and more common.
And the White House is deaf to it. :(

RNR
01-18-2010, 09:19 AM
And she recommends watching King Corn, if you enjoyed Food Inc. Very educational on the high fructose corn syrup front.

I will check it out~

Easy 6
01-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Yea after my buddy told me bout a soup factory he worked in at arkansas Ill never eat chicken soup again .. stupid hillbillies shittin and pissin in the soup vates .. never again .. BOOG OUTT ....

I had a great uncle who worked in an Oscar Meyer plant back in the 60's-70's & he'd always tell us kids that 'you dont want ANYTHING that comes outta there'.

Rats & roaches got into the mixer? oops, diseased meat? ooops, throw it in anyway...

Lzen
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Wow, just watched this. Very interesting and informative.

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 11:06 PM
And the White House is deaf to it. :(

Obama planted a garden! :harumph:

Reaper16
02-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Obama planted a garden! :harumph:
Yeah, Michelle Obama. She's still cool.

T-post Tom
02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
If it makes my meat cheaper, I'm all for it.

Really? You might want to pay particular attention at 7:11 and what follows:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPaUjEj65MI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPaUjEj65MI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

L.A. Chieffan
02-03-2010, 09:43 AM
I thought it was quite unmemorable actually. No real new information and nothing completely shocking. I do remember that guy who had his own organic farm and was killing the chickens right in front of the camera. That dude was cool, Id go buy my shit from him if I could. Meh, whatever, it couldve been a lot better.

JOhn
02-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I'll agree with what someone said earlier, good movie but a bit alarmist, IMHO.

Several spots that seemed a little over the top BS but had some good info, I'll be even more impressed if it's all true. Which is something I'll research myself.

Also someone said they prefer the Small non-chain restaurant, which is all good IF you really know the place. Most of those are very lax in food safety as compared to the larger places.

And as for the local meat processor, same story. Unless you really know them & the people there I wouldn't trust them as far as I could trow them, and that's from personal knowledge.

just my .02 worth.

loochy
02-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Am I the only one here that wasn't really surprised by what this movie told us? I mean what do you think happens with our food?

Reaper16
02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I thought it was quite unmemorable actually. No real new information and nothing completely shocking. I do remember that guy who had his own organic farm and was killing the chickens right in front of the camera. That dude was cool, Id go buy my shit from him if I could. Meh, whatever, it couldve been a lot better.
Unmemorable with no new information for who? The film exists for people who haven't read any of the literature out there on the subject.

Several spots that seemed a little over the top BS but had some good info, I'll be even more impressed if it's all true. Which is something I'll research myself.

Also someone said they prefer the Small non-chain restaurant, which is all good IF you really know the place. Most of those are very lax in food safety as compared to the larger places.

And as for the local meat processor, same story. Unless you really know them & the people there I wouldn't trust them as far as I could trow them, and that's from personal knowledge.

just my .02 worth.
You're stupid.

T-post Tom
02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Am I the only one here that wasn't really surprised by what this movie told us? I mean what do you think happens with our food?

Some of the content I knew and some I did not. I learned quite a bit from this movie. And yes, some of it was surprising. Quite surprising. For example, I had no idea that Monsanto employed such far-reaching and devious acts against small, individual farmers.

BIG_DADDY
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM

just my .02 worth.

Wow, I sure am glad I don't live where you do.

L.A. Chieffan
02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Unmemorable with no new information for who? The film exists for people who haven't read any of the literature out there on the subject.

I know relatively little on the subject especially compared to people that may work in the food industry or make their living through agriculture yet I gleaned almost nothing from the film other than some specific personal examples. The material, to me, is interesting but the film makers did not present it to me in an interesting manner. My criticism is with the technical aspects of the movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
02-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Really? You might want to pay particular attention at 7:11 and what follows:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPaUjEj65MI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPaUjEj65MI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

It's frightening to consider that most Americans no longer have the ability to feed themselves. They don't have the land to grow their own food, the knowledge, or the desire...

T-post Tom
02-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I know relatively little on the subject especially compared to people that may work in the food industry or make their living through agriculture yet I gleaned almost nothing from the film other than some specific personal examples. The material, to me, is interesting but the film makers did not present it to me in an interesting manner. My criticism is with the technical aspects of the movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Perhaps the documentary filmmakers should have presented the narrator as a biblical figure on a dinosaur. :D

BIG_DADDY
02-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Still haven't had a chance to see this. Anyone have a copy they can burn for me?

Reaper16
02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Still haven't had a chance to see this. Anyone have a copy they can burn for me?
Its available for streaming in HD on Netflix if you have an account with them.

BIG_DADDY
02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
This is the year I am looking forward to getting the mass majority of all our food from small local farms. From meat to fruit and veggies.

BIG_DADDY
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Its available for streaming in HD on Netflix if you have an account with them.

Perfect.

NewChief
02-03-2010, 12:34 PM
This is the year I am looking forward to getting the mass majority of all our food from small local farms. From meat to fruit and veggies.

You joining up with a CSA or just going to hit the farmer's markets?

Lzen
02-03-2010, 01:21 PM

I think Dane can hook you up. ;)

BIG_DADDY
02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
You joining up with a CSA or just going to hit the farmer's markets?

Most everything I did has been from a networking standpoint. I met some people I got my raw milk and natural eggs from who grow organically and have a great place. They do chickens and pigs once a year. Once they know you and your family they eventually feel good enough to refer you to others for what they don't have. They are very protective about who they let in and don't advertise most of what they do at farmers markets. It's taken a year to get where I am at and probably will take another for me to effortlessly get exactly what I want at the right price. It's like being a part of the real food underground. LMAO