PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here actually give a crap about the Wunderlich?

TigerPig
01-18-2010, 01:29 AM
I think a good Wunderlich is pretty much irrelevant. I will say it wouldn't be good to get something really low on it, but I'm thinking too high can be bad, too. A good QB feels his way around the pocket and senses the open player. A QB who is a good at quick analysis is still going about it the wrong way. It shouldn't be a thought out process, it should be instinctual, beyond thought.

I'm admitting right now I've never played QB, and I am not an expert at the position. But if Peyton Manning got a 28/50 while Ryan Leaf got a 27, and Dan freaking Marino (I think a top three QB of all time) got a 14, then its obviously irrelevant IMO.

What are your thoughts?

Mecca
01-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Depending upon the position yea it's important.

I guarantee you if Marino was in today's draft he'd fall and would be pegged as a dipshit hothead.

BossChief
01-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Marino did fall.

The Dolphins were the second last pick in the first round iirc.

Or are you saying he would fall further than that?

Mastashake
01-18-2010, 04:12 AM
I know what a wunderlich is, but how do you test someone's football skills with a test that doesn't mention football?

TigerPig
01-18-2010, 04:22 AM
I know what a wunderlich is, but how do you test someone's football skills with a test that doesn't mention football?

That's what I'm talking about! Why do people care how quickly a person can figure out math problems? He needs to find an open receiver, not balance his checkbook!

tyton75
01-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Its a good way to peg a retard... other than that, mostly irrelevant.. even for QB

redsurfer11
01-18-2010, 08:47 AM
What was Jamarcus Russells score? Vince Youngs?

keg in kc
01-18-2010, 12:33 PM
It's another factor to weigh, sure. I'd say you should at least consider intelligence when you're looking at a player. And a low score might indicate other (mental) problems that could impact their success as a pro.

CoMoChief
01-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Not really unless someone is just completely stupid.

Wilson8
01-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Wonderlic Test - Some of the questions involve math or problem solving but some of the questions are just common sense. The NFL combine needs some type of IQ test and this works as well as any other.

Speaking of football and intelligence...safety Myron Rolle that took a year off studying at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship is coming back to football. He will be in the Senior Bowl in a couple of weeks.

googlegoogle
01-18-2010, 03:38 PM
pacman

Mr. Laz
01-18-2010, 04:03 PM
only if their score is really,really high or really,really low

really high can mean a smart guy, especially valuable for QB's

really,really low is not good either

RippedmyFlesh
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Means nothing to me.
I'll bet rudi nicewanger kicked ass on his.

RippedmyFlesh
01-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Marino did fall.

The Dolphins were the second last pick in the first round iirc.

Or are you saying he would fall further than that?
marino fell because of rumors of him :bong:

Brock
01-18-2010, 06:05 PM
It's no less important than psychological testing.

Chris Meck
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Marino fell because of questions about his knees. Which, by the way, were crap his whole career. I have no idea how he managed to play that long on them. He had pretty much zero mobility by age 30. Sumbitch could throw though!

I think the test has merit...as a PART of getting a three dimensional idea of WHO an athlete is. I would not take a QB with a low wunderlich, Marino or no. I think the days of not real bright QB's are over. The game is too complicated now.

DJ's left nut
01-18-2010, 08:19 PM
It's something to consider.

There's no perfect formula for finding a viable NFL player, as such any information that gives you a broader picture is worth having.

It's not something I'd place above game tape or combine results, but it could certainly serve to break ties.

Mastashake
01-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Marino fell because of questions about his knees. Which, by the way, were crap his whole career. I have no idea how he managed to play that long on them. He had pretty much zero mobility by age 30. Sumbitch could throw though!

I think the test has merit...as a PART of getting a three dimensional idea of WHO an athlete is. I would not take a QB with a low wunderlich, Marino or no. I think the days of not real bright QB's are over. The game is too complicated now.

Probably because of Joe Namath. He did well with bad knees.

I understand a QB needing to be smart, but I don't understand how this test equals being smart on the field. If it were questions about football it would make sense. Football is visual, not written or auditory. Maybe if it were a visual test, like with slides of pictures flashed for .1 seconds and then they have to tell you what it was. Or do something like finding an object in a picture in a low amount of time (like a Where's Waldo).

RustShack
01-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Theres some busts with high scores and good ones with low scores. It matters to an extent, but not nearly as much as people think.

acesn8s
01-19-2010, 03:49 PM
That's what I'm talking about! Why do people care how quickly a person can figure out math problems? He needs to find an open receiver, not balance his checkbook!It isn't about doing math as much as it is about solving problems quickly. A good player will figure out how to overcome a problem during a game (i.e. Peyton Manning). The test will hopefully show that a player cannot perform such tasks (i.e. Vince Young)

Ralphy Boy
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM

JR = 24
VY = 16

Good article on quite a few scores:
link (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=61&f=3972&t=3012998)

Can't find Cassel's score.

pkane
01-19-2010, 03:59 PM

JaMarcus got a 24 Vince Young got a 16 (6 on his first try)

To list a few others

Matt Leinart-35
Alex Smith- 40
Kellen Clemens-35
Ben Roethlisberger-25
Ryan Fitzpatrick-50 highest you can get

So I don't think the score translates well to success on the field.

pkane
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
IMO if they are going to have this type of test they should test for is football knowledge and rules.

pkane
01-19-2010, 04:23 PM
JR = 24
VY = 16

Good article on quite a few scores:
link (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=61&f=3972&t=3012998)

Can't find Cassel's score.

I believe only the players that get invited to the combine take the test. I am assuming that Cassel didn't participate in the combine.

Dave Lane
01-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I do and really even the proper spelling of the Wonderlic I find mildly important. Especially QB its a indicator, DL really doesn't matter much. See ball? Get ball works for them.

Pablo
01-19-2010, 04:44 PM
No. I don't care. You want your QB to be intelligent; but you don't need a fantastic score on a glorified IQ test to be able to make great decisions and/or passes.

MoreLemonPledge
01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

Seriously, you have to be incredibly dumb or lazy to not do well on this.

Pablo
01-19-2010, 05:43 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

Seriously, you have to be incredibly dumb or lazy to not do well on this.I've taken it before. I think I missed one question; but then again, you don't exactly have to be a genious to play football.

I'd rather be able to run a 4.3 40 and jump out of the building than get a 50 on that test and be talking about football on CP.

pkane
01-19-2010, 09:53 PM
I do and really even the proper spelling of the Wonderlic I find mildly important. Especially QB its a indicator, DL really doesn't matter much. See ball? Get ball works for them.

I hate doing this since it is ticky-tack shit, but since you took time out of your day to try and be an ass and spell Wonderlic right I might as well be an ass too and tell you if you are going to call someone out, make sure your shit is in order too.

DaKCMan AP
01-20-2010, 07:12 AM
For certain things, yes. I want my CBs to be dumb and score low. I want my offensive linemen to score high and QBs to score mid-to-high.

Dave Lane
01-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I hate doing this since it is ticky-tack shit, but since you took time out of your day to try and be an ass and spell Wonderlic right I might as well be an ass too and tell you if you are going to call someone out, make sure your shit is in order too.

Its a bit different to have a a versus an but if you are creating a thread to discuss a topic at least spell what its about correctly. I didn't really care but said it was "mildly important" at least if you are starting a thread about it. Glad you could get your .02 cents in.

pkane
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Its a bit different to have a a versus an but if you are creating a thread to discuss a topic at least spell what its about correctly. I didn't really care but said it was "mildly important" at least if you are starting a thread about it. Glad you could get your .02 cents in.

I agree with you. Like I said it was ticky tack shit. Glad you got your 2 cents in also.

Saccopoo
01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
No.

Sincerely,
Jeff George

milkman
01-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Wonderlic Test - Some of the questions involve math or problem solving but some of the questions are just common sense. The NFL combine needs some type of IQ test and this works as well as any other.

Speaking of football and intelligence...safety Myron Rolle that took a year off studying at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship is coming back to football. He will be in the Senior Bowl in a couple of weeks.

Pat Haden was a Rhodes Scholar.

Just sayin'.

Garcia Bronco
01-21-2010, 12:49 PM
That's what I'm talking about! Why do people care how quickly a person can figure out math problems? He needs to find an open receiver, not balance his checkbook!

BEcause it tests how quickly you can logically solve a problem which is fucking key to professional football.

Dave Lane
01-21-2010, 02:14 PM
BEcause it tests how quickly you can logically solve a problem which is ****ing key to professional football.

Amen, I'd like to know Montana's score I'll bet it was up there. That was his real gift. He could read a progression like no one else.