PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Do sports come between you and your significant other?

DiaperBoy27
01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
My girlfriend is getting sick of sitting around all weekend and watching NFL playoffs and college hoops with me.

The only nights I'm not distracted by sports are the nights where there are none on, and other than the "offseason" during the summer (after NBA playoffs and when the Royals become impossible to watch, before NFL preseason), the schedule is pretty packed year-round.

Do any of you get bitched out by your female? How do you handle it?

RustShack
01-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Find someone who enjoys sports.

Gonzo
01-18-2010, 12:27 PM
I hate Jimmie Fallon movies... They really suck.

wild1
01-18-2010, 12:28 PM
You're telling her that she ranks behind football and college basketball, and you don't know why she is upset?

Bugeater
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
She should be happy you're home and not out trying to fuck other women.

OnTheWarpath15
01-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Find someone who enjoys sports.

This.

Our honeymoon was spent in Whistler, BC playing 36 holes of golf a day for a week, then spending a few days in Vancouver.

Hell, our first night in Whistler was Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals when Carolina played Edmonton, and SHE wanted to go watch the game in a locar bar, because she knew the crown would be pro-Edmonton.

keg in kc
01-18-2010, 12:34 PM
The only thing that comes between me and my significant other is a glove.

Abba-Dabba
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM
The TV doesn't give me pussy and it won't suck my dick. Easy decision which to turn off.

DaFace
01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
My wife gets a little tired of it, but she's a casual fan of all the sports that I'm a fan of, so it's usually not an issue.

KJROD20
01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I am a die hard Red Sox fan. My girlfriend has season tickets to the Yankees.

need i say more . . .

KCUnited
01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
I squeezed in an episode of The Bad Girls Club during halftime of the SD v. Jets game, so no.

Mile High Mania
01-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Just reading that... I have no idea why there's friction.

tooge
01-18-2010, 12:46 PM
this is your girlfrind, not your wife. She has no rights.

CoMoChief
01-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Nope.

I like sports. And if theres a game on I want to watch. She can either watch it with me, or I just watch the game regardless.

loochy
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Rephrase the question as this:

Does your significant other come between you and your sports?

Mr. Laz
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
only when we role play "Center and Quarterback" and i pull out too quickly and fumble the snap. :(

Lumpy
01-18-2010, 12:55 PM

I don't make you watch that crap, (nor do I watch that crap). You must be referring to your g/f, eh?

Radar Chief
01-18-2010, 12:57 PM
DVR is your friend, that and having two tv’s. I watch most of my sports in the man cave anyway.

RJ
01-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I make a point of not watching games I don't actually care about - or at least I don't watch them if she wants to do something else or watch something else. I'm also not in favor of watching in another room. I like being with my family.

Basically, you gotta learn to pick your battles. For instance, is watching a Big East basketball game between two mediocre teams that you don't care about on a Tuesday night important enough to you that you're willing to piss off your girlfriend?

If the answer is yes, then maybe you just don't like her all that much.

DiaperBoy27
01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
You're telling her that she ranks behind football and college basketball, and you don't know why she is upset?

I wouldn't say that's the case. Its more the fact that when we are watching TV it always ends up on sports (she knows I love it, so she says "go ahead and watch your game. Please"). Then, after a few hours of it, there's a snide comment like "I HAVE to watch sports to spend time with you". I guess, for me, its more of a guilt situation than being "bitched out".

Frazod
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
My wife is a huge baseball fan, so while she doesn't like football she doesn't give me shit about watching it.

I get more grief about video games than anything else.

Gonzo
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't make you watch that crap, (nor do I watch that crap). You must be referring to your g/f, eh?

That was my vieled attempt at humor via a movie reference there chicken lips....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332047/

GoHuge
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I use to date a girl that wasn't a big sports fan. When she got bored she'd just blow me. Felt bad about continuing to watch, but she told me to sit back and enjoy both. Should have married that one!
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I use to date a girl that wasn't a big sports fan. When she got bored she'd just blow me. Felt bad about continuing to watch, but she told me to sit back and enjoy both. Should have married that one!
Posted via Mobile Device

Meh...
She had bad breath, how is Redrum's mom, anyway?

TrebMaxx
01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
The wife and I have been together some 24 years now. When we were much younger and early in our relationship, I was quite like you as far as sports were concerned. My wife really doesn't like sports so I spent a lot of time in the other room watching what ever game happened to be on at the time. I would usually get some comments on how I would rather watch sports than spend time with her. I looked at that situation and what she was saying made sense, so I started to watch fewer events, like someone else stated only games that really meant something to me. Actually, I think it enhanced not only our relationship but also my enjoyment factor of when there was some type of sporting event that I really wanted to see. Relationships require give and take to make them work. Might want to give it a try.

KCrockaholic
01-18-2010, 01:20 PM
It comes between us at times. She gets really sick of football, especially if its not the Chiefs. She usually gets sick of NFL by week 4 or so, but I have Sunday Ticket, and Sunday's are our day to basically sit and watch every NFL game. I always tell her, if she wants to be with me then putting up with my passion for football will have to be part of it. I think once she really experiences an NFL game live she will become a little more passionate about football. The funny part is that she knows more about the players and football than most guys do just from watching it with me all the time, and telling her stats all the time.

But I do occasionally deal with her watching Desperate Housewives during Sunday Night Football if the game is not important. But basically, because I am such a good guy she puts up with it and knows it will be worth it in the long run.

Reerun_KC
01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
My girlfriend is getting sick of sitting around all weekend and watching NFL playoffs and college hoops with me.

The only nights I'm not distracted by sports are the nights where there are none on, and other than the "offseason" during the summer (after NBA playoffs and when the Royals become impossible to watch, before NFL preseason), the schedule is pretty packed year-round.

Maybe you should go back to dating dudes and leave the chicks alone....

rockymtnchief
01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
My GF will drive two ours to watch the Buccaneers or Devil Rays so she doesn't get too excited if I stay home to watch KC play.

Bwana
01-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Tell her that she is wants more of your time, that you will allow her to make you up various man dishes and fetch you beers during the game. Also tell her, that if she does that well, you may consider her letting her give you a hummer at half time. If she doesn't go for any of that, send her down the road so you can watch your games without having to listen to YAP YAP YAP YAP.

You're welcome

Saulbadguy
01-18-2010, 01:26 PM
My wife cusses like a sailor when ksu is losing, which is often.

patteeu
01-18-2010, 01:30 PM
I basically agree with RJ. My wife might give you a different story, but from my POV she pretended to like the sports I like more when we were dating (same with music) and then after we got married she seemed to like them less and less (she now pretty much hates much of the music I like). There was some amount of conflict over this, but in the end we both realized that we had to compromise. She understands that our main TV is going to be tuned to the Chiefs game any time they play (because that's my top sports love) and I understand that I need to pick and choose what other sporting events I watch. Sometimes I go to games with friends (like Mizzou football games) and sometimes I'll watch a game I'm interested in on one of our other TVs. It helps a lot that we don't usually get Mizzou games at home and that we don't get ESPN (we only have broadcast TV). I watch a lot less college basketball than I used to.

Here are some things that help:

1. Find a girl who really likes the sports you like.

2. Only insist on watching the most important games on the best/only TV in the house.

3. Choose her over some of the less important games, but don't necessarily let her know they were less important.

4. Use the DVR if you have one for some of those less important games.

5. Make enough money or marry a wealthy enough woman so that she can go out shopping when you want to watch the games.

sedated
01-18-2010, 01:36 PM
3. Choose her over some of the less important games, but don't necessarily let her know they were less important.

great advice.

Gonzo
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
If she gives you shit about watching the game, stuff her face full of knuckles.

patteeu
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
great advice.

People tell me I'm "full of it" all the time.

Lumpy
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
That was my vieled attempt at humor via a movie reference there chicken lips....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332047/

I understand that, but how would you know about the plot of the movie unless you watched it? With that being said, I should revise my post and replace the "g/f" w/ "b/f". LMAO

<--------- Lets Gonzo watch whatever he wants. :D

Reerun_KC
01-18-2010, 01:53 PM

:clap:

Sounds like to me Gonzo has alot of experience sleeping on the couch.... I think its time to buy some Kleenex and Jergens stock... Your gonna need both...

ROFL

Starbux37
01-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Nope. Wife came to terms with becoming a sportsfan's widow years ago. She doesn't give me crap about watching sports and will actually tell the kids to leave me alone while they are on. In turn when she ask me to do a "honey-do" I willingly comply without grumbling.

Best part was when my son started playing football and she went to the games. After awhile she started asking questions and now she actually sits and watches with me. She figures if she is going to watch our son play, she should understand what's going on during the game.

kcfanXIII
01-18-2010, 02:02 PM

but that one is pretty good.

Iowanian
01-18-2010, 02:02 PM
My brother was dating a girl who started bitching about his hunting. He told her that he could only guarantee 1 thing, and that was that next year at the same time, he'd be hunting, but her being around to bitch about it wasn't a sure thing.

I'm lucky that brideowanian likes football as much as I do, and we neither one watch basketball. Not an issue, however she did comment that I have watched Band of Brothers enough times that it annoys her.

Lumpy
01-18-2010, 02:03 PM
:clap:

Sounds like to me Gonzo has alot of experience sleeping on the couch.... I think its time to buy some Kleenex and Jergens stock... Your gonna need both...

ROFL

LMAO Nah.

All kidding aside, I watch some games w/ Gonzo. But if it's a game that he's interested in, but I'm not, I find something to do around the house. There were a couple of times that I've interrupted his game watching... but it was in a good way. ;)

Simply Red
01-18-2010, 02:04 PM
The TV doesn't give me pussy and it won't suck my dick. Easy decision which to turn off.

CHYEAH BITCH!

GoHuge
01-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Meh...
She had bad breath, how is Redrum's mom, anyway?

Not his mom. Though his mom must smell like a god damn refugee boat the way people trash on her!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
01-18-2010, 02:05 PM
LMAO Nah.

All kidding aside, I watch some games w/ Gonzo. But if it's a game that he's interested in, but I'm not, I find something to do around the house. There were a couple of times that I've interrupted his game watching... but it was in a good way. ;)

My wife was much like you. It was great.

Simply Red
01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
I am a die hard Red Sox fan. My girlfriend has season tickets to the Yankees.

need i say more . . .

NO, But welcome to the Planet! :clap:

Radar Chief
01-18-2010, 02:09 PM
however she did comment that I have watched Band of Brothers enough times that it annoys her.

Yea, but damn that's a good show.

TrebMaxx
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
... however she did comment that I have watched Band of Brothers enough times that it annoys her.

I am lucky in the Band of Brothers dept. My wife will watch that with me anytime I want.

Inspector
01-18-2010, 02:24 PM
She usually stays in the other room so no, doesn't get between us.

And yeah, the other room is the kitchen. You got it. Uh-huh....

Sure-Oz
01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
No, she loves college football, college basketball, and NFL football, and sports in general even the royals. Hell we are in fantasy leagues together for $$$ It's awesome

Pushead2
01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
next time she complains say hey, It could be worse I could be Chris Brown

RJ
01-18-2010, 02:31 PM

That's it right there. My wife knows I love to watch football, but she doesn't always know for sure which games I really want to see. So when I'm not real interested in my games for the week (I get all the Cowboy and Donx games, so it happens) I'll just "spontaneously" decide to forget football for the day and take a trip to the mall instead, maybe even go see the latest Disney movie our daughter has been asking for. I find this buys good will for the Sundays when I really want it.

El Jefe
01-18-2010, 02:33 PM

My girlfriend doesn't watch any sports, and I don't really care at all. Buckeye football is the only thing I really want to watch. I dont really care if she would rather watch a movie than an NBA, NCAA, or NFL playoff game. If I don't have a dog in the race I really don't care who is playing. I lost my desire to watch NBA a few years ago, NFL I dont really care to watch outside of the Chiefs and "some" Browns action, I dont really follow NCAA Hoops as much as I used to either.

Goldmember
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
When a woman comes out and tells you she is upset about something, she's already moved on emotionally. You're supposed to read her mind and know these things. She probably has a new boyfriend lined up already, but is providing a reason to break up with you.

just kidding of course.