PDA

View Full Version : Life Considering buying an Airstream

NewChief
01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Just found a 24' Airstream on Craigslist for $2500. We're considering grabbing it. I have a feeling at that price that it's junked on the inside, but I kind of like the idea of refurbishing it, anyway.

Anyone have experiences with them? Anything I should look out for as far as structural integrity?

chefsos
01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Could be that it's an old one, as opposed to being trashed. There are a lot of really old Airstreams still on the road.

Bwana
01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Just found a 24' Airstream on Craigslist for $2500. We're considering grabbing it. I have a feeling at that price that it's junked on the inside, but I kind of like the idea of refurbishing it, anyway.

Anyone have experiences with them? Anything I should look out for as far as structural integrity?

Phin, it's something every man needs to do at least once, kind of like a boat. Go for it.

NewChief
01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Phin, it's something every man needs to do at least once, kind of like a boat. Go for it.

With our kids, it just seems like the best way to actually get out and see some of the country. We used to do "hard core" camping, but that's just not as much fun when you've got a 2yo and 4yo. We figure an Airstream would get us through the next 10 years or so of traveling around with the family and "camping." Also, we have a perfect spot next to our (rather small and cramped) house for it, and we could use it as a guest room when we have company.

NewChief
01-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Could be that it's an old one, as opposed to being trashed. There are a lot of really old Airstreams still on the road.

Yeah, the information on it is sort of sketchy at the moment. We're waiting to hear back from the guy on whether it's still available or not. $2500 is a pretty damned good price, though, and we could put a lot of work into it and still recoup costs, I think.

Bwana
01-21-2010, 08:38 PM
and we could use it as a guest room when we have company.

Heh, the perfect hang for the mother in law! :D

stumppy
01-21-2010, 08:40 PM

Speaking of boats. You can't be traveling all over the country without having a good dependable, economical, fishing boat at the ready. Just think about how many rivers and lakes you'll be able fish if you have the proper equiptment. A guy could spend...say.........$500 on a nice little rig that would be perfect for someone in your situation.

PM me, I have just what you need.:D Boat, motor and trailer.

Simply Red
01-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Airstream is a dope brand, it's very comparable to that of Tumi luggage and leather goods and their stand in that (very different) industry/niche. They can take a light beatin'.

NewChief
01-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Speaking of boats. You can't be traveling all over the country without having a good dependable, economical, fishing boat at the ready. Just think about how many rivers and lakes you'll be able fish if you have the proper equiptment. A guy could spend...say.........$500 on a nice little rig that would be perfect for someone in your situation.

Haha. I've owned way too many boats growing up on a lake. We had about 16 at one time: 8 canoes, 1 kayak, ski boat, bass boat, 2 sailboats, barge, and a paddle boat. I'm also watching my mother-in-law live the boat insanity currently, since she moved onto a lake. The only boat I'll own, these days, is one that I power myself.

Two happiest days in a boat owner's life? The day he buys it, and the day he sells it.

chefsos
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, the information on it is sort of sketchy at the moment. We're waiting to hear back from the guy on whether it's still available or not. $2500 is a pretty damned good price, though, and we could put a lot of work into it and still recoup costs, I think.If you're handy: fixing electrical (there's 110v as well as 12v systems in there), brake and wheel bearings, water lines, and woodwork items are doable.

If you get the chance to look at it though, you want to check for signs of rain leaks, appliance failures (especially fridges), or holding tank leakage. Those can get expensive.

MahiMike
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a winnebago my tenant left behind for rent. No title, no questions...) Just have to drive it from FL.

boogblaster
01-21-2010, 08:54 PM
They used to be good units .. guess they still are ....

Bwana
01-21-2010, 09:04 PM

See the problem is, I would be on it in a heartbeat if I lived in western Montana. Around here, all you have is three lakes in the area that you can drag a boat into. I don't like fishing any of them to be honest. (To many swing'n dicks on every lake) That's why I own two big balzy ATV's, a Yamaho 660 and a Polaris 850. I can get way in the hell back into the mountain lakes with my fly rods, not see anyone all day and slay the fish all day long. The only issue there is, there are a lot of Grizzly's back in a lot of my prime areas, but I don't go back there without a lot of fire power "just in case."

Rain Man
01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
My wife rolls her eyes and thinks I'm way uncool about it, but I really, really want to buy one of those and travel the country.

UteChief
01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Go see it, get some pics. I'd love an airstream some day.