PDA

View Full Version : Trading Down?

KJROD20
01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
How would everyone feel if KC traded down?

Hypothetical: Clausen or Bradford still available, Buffalo trades their #9 plus their 2nd (or a 2nd for 2011) for KCs #5 plus a 4th or 5th, whatever makes the math work. Then KC drafts Anthony Davis or McClain and the opposite of either one of them with the 2nd they get.

Sure there are tons of variables, but the vibe I get here is that the Chiefs need more than just 1 stud at 1 position, so trading down would be the best option, if it's available.

The Franchise
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
If Berry is available at #5.....then I'll be extremely pissed if we trade down....especially for a RT.

bsp4444
01-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I like it. This draft is deep and not especially top heavy.

salame
01-22-2010, 01:36 PM
it's really not that easy to trade down from a top 5 pick

Helmets
01-22-2010, 01:42 PM
5th got traded last year for a QB, but if Berry is there run to the podium.

Nightfyre
01-22-2010, 01:45 PM
If that happens:
1) Mays
2a) Tate
2b) Spikes
2c) Pouncey
3) Kindle

FA:
Dansby, wilfork.

Discuss.
Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
01-22-2010, 01:53 PM
If that happens:
1) Mays
2a) Tate
2b) Spikes
2c) Pouncey
3) Kindle

FA:
Dansby, wilfork.

Discuss.
Posted via Mobile Device

Would be nice, only problem is Spikes, Kindle, and Tate could all be first round picks and also there is no fucking way Wilfork and probably not even Dansby touches the open market.

As for trading down, I would only do it if I was sure McClain would still be there.. but I could settle for Mays.

bsp4444
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
it's really not that easy to trade down from a top 5 pick

HYPOTHETICAL!!!!!!

He offered a possible AND plausible scenario for us to discuss.

RustShack
01-22-2010, 02:08 PM
HYPOTHETICAL!!!!!!

He offered a possible AND plausible scenario for us to discuss.

The problem is Clausen wont be available, and Bradford isn't the type of player you trade up to get.

DrRyan
01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
If Berry is there you take him. If he is not and the Chiefs can make a deal with the Bills for #9 and their second I would pull the trigger.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
i have a hard time thinkin any GM would take a FS/CB higher than 5. they can say what the want to generate hits but i dont see it & its early.

the Talking Can
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
The problem is Clausen wont be available, and Bradford isn't the type of player you trade up to get.

although i think trading down is a pleasant but unrealistic fantasy...it wouldn't shock me at all to see some teams fall in love with Bradford as the draft approaches...

RustShack
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
although i think trading down is a pleasant but unrealistic fantasy...it wouldn't shock me at all to see some teams fall in love with Bradford as the draft approaches...

Teams don't fall in love with guys who aren't talented before the draft, they fall in love with talented guys before the draft.

spanky 52
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
As much as I'd like a trade down for the Chiefs, it's just not going to happen. With the CBA likely to expire, no team is going to trade up to the fifth spot and pay that kind of money, regardless of the player. Your going to see teams try and save as much cash as they can, especially the smaller market teams. We can always hope someone will fall in love with one of the qb's and wants to come up.

the Talking Can
01-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Teams don't fall in love with guys who aren't talented before the draft, they fall in love with talented guys before the draft.

let me rephrase: teams are already in love with him, and will express that love as the draft approaches....his stock may be down due to injury but when they scrutinize this crappy QB class they will find it easy to suppress their doubts...

I'd bet he's a top 10 pick...

Nightfyre
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
The chan gailey - clark hunt hookup. I shudder at the thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saccopoo
01-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Last year, the Jets, in order to move up from the 17th spot to the 5th spot, swapped first rounders, gave up a 2nd rounder and three players.

I could see a team like the Bills doing that, but now that they have Gailey, who was more than willing to soldier on with Thigpen because of the system, might not be all that interested in such a trade.

The Chiefs were rumored to be trying to shop that #3 pick and move down, but couldn't get a bite. I don't see why they wouldn't make a similar move this year as there are once again only two viable "franchise" quarterbacks in this draft. A team needing one is going to have to make a move up to the fifth spot or so to guarantee themselves the opportunity of getting one.

A move to the ninth spot would still give us a chance at a Okung, McClain, Thomas, Bryant type of player, plus additional picks in the second and, say, fifth round which would be invaluable in this draft, where I don't see much difference between a top ten guy and a guy in the second. In fact, I like some of the "second rounders" and beyond more than some of the guys that they are projecting into the first round.

Now that I think about it, Bryant might be a pretty good pick at the #9 spot if they traded down as it's a weak receiver class and he represents the pinnacle of that position this year.

KurtCobain
01-26-2010, 01:24 AM
As for trading down, I would only do it if I was sure McClain would still be there..

this

PhillyChiefFan
01-26-2010, 06:48 AM
If Berry is there you take him. If he is not and the Chiefs can make a deal with the Bills for #9 and their second I would pull the trigger.
Posted via Mobile Device

This. Berry is a playmaker and we desperately need help at S, Mike Brown is horrible.

Rausch
02-03-2010, 07:30 AM
As much as I'd like a trade down for the Chiefs, it's just not going to happen. With the CBA likely to expire, no team is going to trade up to the fifth spot and pay that kind of money, regardless of the player. Your going to see teams try and save as much cash as they can, especially the smaller market teams. We can always hope someone will fall in love with one of the qb's and wants to come up.

Does anyone have a copy of or link to the often talked about "value chart" that teams supposedly go by when trading up/down?

I'd love to see what value we're supposed to get if we traded back in the 10-15 range...

DaKCMan AP
02-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Does anyone have a copy of or link to the often talked about "value chart" that teams supposedly go by when trading up/down?

I'd love to see what value we're supposed to get if we traded back in the 10-15 range...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

Rausch
02-03-2010, 08:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

According to that moving from 5 to 15 would net us: The 15th and 27th picks in the first round

or

Two picks in the lower 3rd of the 2nd round.

I doubt we'd get that value or offer this year but 4 first day picks? And I'd prefer a 15 and 27 over just one top 5. That's just me...

Fat Elvis
02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
If Clausen is still there, you take him. This team needs a franchise quarterback, and it ain't Mark Castle (cp spelling).

You take a franchise QB, if for no other reason, for a purely business decision. This team has no identity, no face- if you will. If Clark wants to stick some asses in those empty seats, you need to give the fans a reason to watch. A real franchise QB, rather than our current $63M bridesmaid, is one way to do that.

This doesn't even factor in the Wies ties....

Mecca
02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
It ain't gonna happen, man.