PDA

View Full Version : Football Sports and Politics Collide: CBS urged to scrap Super Bowl ad with Tebow

Stinger
01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Not sure which forum to put this in so I thought to start it here but if it needs moved please feel free to move it.........

CBS urged to scrap Super Bowl ad with Tebow, mom

By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer Jan 25, 6:07 pm EST

NEW YORK (AP)—A national coalition of women’s groups called on CBS on Monday to scrap its plan to broadcast an ad during the Super Bowl featuring college football star Tim Tebow and his mother, which critics say is likely to convey an anti-abortion message.

“An ad that uses sports to divide rather than to unite has no place in the biggest national sports event of the year—an event designed to bring Americans together,” said Jemhu Greene, president of the New York-based Women’s Media Center.

The center was coordinating the protest with backing from the National Organization for Women, the Feminist Majority and other groups.

CBS said it has approved the script for the 30-second ad and has given no indication that the protest would have an impact. A network spokesman, Dana McClintock, said CBS would ensure that any issue-oriented ad was “appropriate for air.”

The ad—paid for by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family— is expected to recount the story of Pam Tebow’s pregnancy in 1987 with a theme of “Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life.” After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim, who went on to win the 2007 Heisman Trophy while helping his Florida team to two BCS championships.

The controversy over the ad was raised Sunday when Tebow met with reporters in Mobile, Ala., before beginning preparations for next weekend’s Senior Bowl.

“I know some people won’t agree with it, but I think they can at least respect that I stand up for what I believe,” Tebow said. “I’ve always been very convicted of it (his views on abortion) because that’s the reason I’m here, because my mom was a very courageous woman. So any way that I could help, I would do it.”

Thirty-second commercials during the Super Bowl are selling for $2.5 million to $2.8 million. Gary Schneeberger, a spokesman for Focus on the Family, said funds for the Tebow ad were donated by a few “very generous friends” and did not come from the group’s general fund.

Schneeberger said he and his colleagues “were a little surprised” at the furor over the ad.

“There’s nothing political and controversial about it,” he said. “When the day arrives, and you sit down to watch the game on TV, those who oppose it will be quite surprised at what the ad is all about.”

The protest letter from the Women’s Media Center suggested that CBS should have turned down the ad in part because it was conceived by Focus on the Family.

“By offering one of the most coveted advertising spots of the year to an anti-equality, anti-choice, homophobic organization, CBS is aligning itself with a political stance that will damage its reputation, alienate viewers, and discourage consumers from supporting its shows and advertisers,” the letter said.

However, Schneeberger said CBS officials carefully examined Focus on the Family’s track record and found no basis for rejecting the ad.

“We understand that some people don’t think very highly of what we do,” Schneeberger said. “We’re not trying to sell you a soft drink—we’re not selling anything. We’re trying to celebrate families.”

The idea for the ad came from an employee in Focus on the Family’s film department, Schneeberger said, and the Tebows “were thrilled” when it was proposed to them. The Tebows, including Tim, have been outspoken in discussing their Christian faith and their missionary work.

All the national networks, including CBS, have policies that rule out the broadcast of certain types of contentious advocacy ads. In 2004, CBS cited such a policy in rejecting an ad by the liberal-leaning United Church of Christ highlighting the UCC’s welcoming stance toward gays and others who might feel shunned by more conservative churches.

CBS was criticized for rejecting that ad—and perhaps might have worried about comparable criticism from conservatives if it had rejected an ad featuring such a charismatic and well-known figure as Tebow.

CBS noted that it had run some advocacy ads in recent months, including spots taking conflicting sides in the debate of a national health care overhaul.

Terry O’Neill, the president of the National Organization for Women, said she had respect for the private choices made by women such as Pam Tebow but condemned the planned ad as “extraordinarily offensive and demeaning.”

“That’s not being respectful of other people’s lives,” O’Neill said. “It is offensive to hold one way out as being a superior way over everybody else’s.”

A national columnist for CBSSports.com, Gregg Doyel, also objected to the CBS decision to show the ad, specifically because it would air on Super Sunday.

“If you’re a sports fan, and I am, that’s the holiest day of the year,” he wrote. “It’s not a day to discuss abortion. For it, against it, I don’t care what you are. On Super Sunday, I don’t care what I am. Feb. 7 is simply not the day to have that discussion.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-tebow-superbowlad&prov=ap&type=lgns

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Shouldn't it read "A national coalition of Whores" want the ad scraped?

jspchief
01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Awesome.

"Don't have an abortion, cause you might have the next football jesus"

RJ
01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Daface, do you want to move this to DC now or later? This one could get ugly real fast.

morphius
01-26-2010, 09:27 AM
So it is now, Women should have choice, just as long as that choice is abortion?

jspchief
01-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Maybe pro-choicers could counter with an add from a mother of a crack baby that was the result of a rape. :)

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Awesome.

"Don't have an abortion, cause you might have the next football jesus"

LMAO

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 09:30 AM
plans with Kyle Farnsworth and his endess supply of hangers has been placed on hold as well

Bane
01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
plans with Kyle Farnsworth and his endess supply of hangers has been placed on hold as well

:clap:
rep

Rooster
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
So it is now, Women should have choice, just as long as that choice is abortion?

That's what it sounds like.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Don't agree with the message or intent of the commercial, however I strongly disagree with the censorship of NOT allowing the group to buy airtime.

jspchief
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Don't agree with the message or intent of the commercial, however I strongly disagree with the censorship of NOT allowing the group to buy airtime.I don't blame a company for not wanting to polarize it's customers.

ChiTown
01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Don't agree with the message or intent of the commercial, however I strongly disagree with the censorship of NOT allowing the group to buy airtime.

This

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 09:43 AM
instead of buying airtime maybe they can help feed the babies that weren't aborted.

Consistent1
01-26-2010, 09:46 AM

This

Phobia
01-26-2010, 09:48 AM
The Women's Center, undaunted by CBS's decision to air the FOTF Tebow ad, managed to scrape enough funds to run a counter-commercial immediately after the Tebow spot is shown.

The sport is rumored to be a one-second still of Todd Marinovich.

Phobia
01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't blame a company for not wanting to polarize it's customers.

Heh. Then they should stop showing the evening news or anything having anything to do with politics.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Thankyou condoooooooooms

mikey23545
01-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't blame a company for not wanting to polarize it's customers.

At least unless they polarize them with the "right" kind of message, huh?

mikey23545
There is nothing more intolerant than a tolerant liberal...

'Hamas' Jenkins
Heh. Then they should stop showing the evening news or anything having anything to do with politics.

The evening news is nothing but infotainment and has been for years. It's insultingly stupid, but it's not polarizing.

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Thankyou condoooooooooms

c:\time machine
c:\Time Machine\gochiefs parents having sex
Moving C:\Time Machine\users\Demonpenz\Condoms\ to....
c:\Time Machine\ Gochiefs Parents having sex

'Hamas' Jenkins
There is nothing more intolerant than a tolerant liberal...

Great.

Here come the typical douchebags.

Just move this dumb fucking shit to the cesspool and get it over with.

You're not going to convince anyone to think anything about abortion that they don't already believe.

KCUnited
They should counter with a pro-abortion message showcasing footage of Jordan Black pass protecting.

eazyb81
01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Heard this on the local sports radio station up here on the east coast, I was surprised at how they were all so against it. I don't see what's wrong, it's not like he's promoting satan worship in a commercial.

jspchief
01-26-2010, 10:00 AM
At least unless they polarize them with the "right" kind of message, huh?They are in the business to make money. They make more money by making all of their customers happy than by making half of their customers happy and half of them mad.

My personal view on abortion has nothing to do with my opinion on this.

People like to throw out words like censorship, but the reality is it is smart business to not run abortion ads (pro or anti) during the freaking superbowl. Talk about missing your demographic... next thing you know they'll have Ashley Simpson singing in the Orange bowl halftime show.

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
What a waste of $2.5M.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2010, 10:03 AM
What a waste of $2.5M.

The Planned Parenthood commercial is a little more interesting. Colt McCoy throws passes to crack babies, but they can't get their arms up in time.

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
What a waste of $2.5M.

they signed ankiel?

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2010, 10:09 AM
they signed ankiel?

ROFL

Talking about abortions...

jjjayb
01-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Terry O’Neill, the president of the National Organization for Women, said she had respect for the private choices made by women such as Pam Tebow but condemned the planned ad as “extraordinarily offensive and demeaning.”

“That’s not being respectful of other people’s lives,” O’Neill said. “It is offensive to hold one way out as being a superior way over everybody else’s.”

Really? This ad is demeaning? Give me a break you touchy feely butthurt douchebag.

-King-
01-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Mike florio is predicting that the type of shit that tebow is about will rub a lot of people the wrong way in the NFL. Preaching may work in college, but in the NFL, he could quickly end up on the wrong side of his teamnates.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevieray
01-26-2010, 10:14 AM
they're offended by something being defended?

makes sense.

POND_OF_RED
01-26-2010, 10:20 AM
They should make a commercial where people are walking around with an open mind and not wanting to fight you for their beliefs. Then at the end of the commercial it has the virgin mary sitting in an abortion clinic crying. Then it would just say "If Mary would have had the technology we have today, there wouldn't be so many retards." The commercial would obviously be in cartoon form as to not take anything away from the fairy tale.

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
They should make a commercial where people are walking around with an open mind and not wanting to fight you for their beliefs. Then at the end of the commercial it has the virgin mary sitting in an abortion clinic crying. Then it would just say "If Mary would have had the technology we have today, there wouldn't be so many retards." The commercial would obviously be in cartoon form as to not take anything away from the fairy tale.

And here...we...go.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/234/c/3/Here_we_go_joker_ref_pic_by_sullen_skrewt.jpg

whatsmynameagain
01-26-2010, 10:27 AM

post of the year, rack em!
Posted via Mobile Device

RJ
01-26-2010, 10:27 AM
The nice thing about this thread is that there is something for almost everyone to be offended about.

RaiderH8r
01-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Really? This ad is demeaning? Give me a break you touchy feely butthurt douchebag.

If a woman wants her cunt scraped more than a mechanic's knuckle that's her business but the thing that comes with that is me being a better human being than her because I am morally superior because I haven't...you know...killed a baby.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 10:28 AM
If you want to oppose abortion then whatever, do as you wish. Picket, protest, make commercials, just don't firebomb people or do the kind of rabble rousing that would make a psycho like mikey want to do so.

However, Tim Tebow commodifying himself as why you should oppose abortion? How humble and Christ-like of him.

Brock
01-26-2010, 10:29 AM
This thread should have swallowed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
If a woman wants her cunt scraped more than a mechanic's knuckle that's her business but the thing that comes with that is me being a better human being than her because I am morally superior because I haven't...you know...killed a baby.

I doubt anything you'd make could be classified as human, anyway. Bonobo? Maybe.

jspchief
01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
However, Tim Tebow commodifying himself as why you should oppose abortion? How humble and Christ-like of him. Jesus wears a "what would Tebow do" bracelet

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2010, 10:31 AM

ROFL

You win the thread.

RaiderH8r
01-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I doubt anything you'd make could be classified as human, anyway. Bonobo? Maybe.

You sure about that? Your mom keeps calling me about taking a paternity test.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 10:45 AM

http://i30.tinypic.com/11l1kc9.jpg

blaise
01-26-2010, 10:50 AM
They are in the business to make money. They make more money by making all of their customers happy than by making half of their customers happy and half of them mad.

My personal view on abortion has nothing to do with my opinion on this.

People like to throw out words like censorship, but the reality is it is smart business to not run abortion ads (pro or anti) during the freaking superbowl. Talk about missing your demographic... next thing you know they'll have Ashley Simpson singing in the Orange bowl halftime show.

I doubt it'll cost CBS a dime in negative publicity. Not unless they contunue running it during prime time shows on a weekly basis.

Cannibal
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Politics (left or right) should not be injected into the SB period.

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I am just sayin....when whores abort babies...they are committing murder and going to hell. People don't get pregnant on accident.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
I am just sayin....when whores abort babies...they are committing murder and going to hell. People don't get pregnant on accident.

Plus, the Tooth Fairy doesn't leave them a dollar under the pillow, and the Easter Bunny will give them nothing other than dried Peeps.

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Plus, the Tooth Fairy doesn't leave them a dollar under the pillow, and the Easter Bunny will give them nothing other than dried Peeps.

There is no need to describe it. Like I said....going to hell.

POND_OF_RED
01-26-2010, 10:58 AM

:rolleyes: Because I'm sure everytime you've had sex you were just thinking of it as a reproduction process. Give me a break.

Pushead2
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM

:)

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:00 AM

jspchief
01-26-2010, 11:02 AM
I am just sayin....when whores abort babies...they are committing murder and going to hell. People don't get pregnant on accident.We get it. You're edgy and are trying to troll... just because it didn't work the first time, it doesn't mean anyone missed your post. It just means no one cares.

dirk digler
01-26-2010, 11:03 AM

wtf?

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 11:09 AM
I know some woman who had abortions and they were sorry but now they are on the right track for salvatins. All apart of God's Plan I suppose. Sometimes it's better not to questions God's ways.

HC_Chief
01-26-2010, 11:09 AM

IMHO hell has nothing to do with it. It is an abhorrent act. There are alternatives; most notably adoption.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I know some woman who had abortions and they were sorry but now they are on the right track for salvatins.

Are salvatins a low salt cracker?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:13 AM

Made with unleavened bread.

Also, widely available, given that they are cooked by the hundreds of thousands of children currently available for adoption.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2010, 11:14 AM
If you want to oppose abortion then whatever, do as you wish. Picket, protest, make commercials, just don't firebomb people or do the kind of rabble rousing that would make a psycho like mikey want to do so.

However, Tim Tebow commodifying himself as why you should oppose abortion? How humble and Christ-like of him.

And so it was that the line was drawn in the sand. Hamas never forgave Tim Tebow after that day. He had a memory like an elephant, and though Brett Favre would soon be gone, the mantle would pass to Tebow.

Hamas will hunt Tebow for 20 years. As he hunted Favre. Every flaw will be magnified, every mistake schadenfreuded. And on the day when Tebow's failure is complete - as Favre's unmistakably was this past Sunday - Hamas will be there. Grinning. Remembering the day Tebow tried to tell the world not to kill babies.

Tebow's day will come. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, perhaps not five years from now. But it will come. Oh, yes. Events have been set in motion now that cannot be reversed.

One day, Tebow's failure will be complete. And Hamas will make an abortion joke.

jidar
01-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Meh.

I would rather not see ads during the Superbowl that I wouldn't want to talk about at work, and politics (and religion) at work is a big no-no imo.

On the other hand... **** it. I don't really care.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
And so it was that the line was drawn in the sand. Hamas never forgave Tim Tebow after that day. He had a memory like an elephant, and though Brett Favre would soon be gone, the mantle would pass to Tebow.

Hamas will hunt Tebow for 20 years. As he hunted Favre. Every flaw will be magnified, every mistake schadenfreuded. And on the day when Tebow's failure is complete - as Favre's unmistakably was this past Sunday - Hamas will be there. Grinning. Remembering the day Tebow tried to tell the world not to kill babies.

Tebow's day will come. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, perhaps not five years from now. But it will come. Oh, yes. Events have been set in motion now that cannot be reversed.

One day, Tebow's failure will be complete. And Hamas will make an abortion joke.

And mail him a coupon for a Shop Vac.

JD10367
01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
She always brings me what I need
Without I beg and sweat and bleed
When we're alone at night
Waiting for the call
she feeds my skin

Sixteen and on the run from home
Found a job in Times Square
Working live S&M shows
Twenty-five bucks a f**k
And John's a happy man
She wipes the filth away
And it's back on the streets again

Spreading the disease
Everybody needs
But no one wants to see

Father William saved her from the streets
She drank the lifeblood from the Saviour's feet
She's Sister Mary now, eyes as cold as ice
He takes her once a week
On the altar like a sacrifice

Spreading the disease
Everybody needs
But no one wants to see

Religion and sex are power plays
Manipulate the people for the money they pay
Selling skin, selling God
The numbers look the same on their credit cards
Politicians say no to drugs
While we pay for wars in South America
Fighting fire with empty words
While the banks get fat
And the poor stay poor
And the rich get rich
And the cops get paid
To look away
As the one percent rules America

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
She always brings me what I need
Without I beg and sweat and bleed
When we're alone at night
Waiting for the call
she feeds my skin

Sixteen and on the run from home
Found a job in Times Square
Working live S&M shows
Twenty-five bucks a f**k
And John's a happy man
She wipes the filth away
And it's back on the streets again

Spreading the disease
Everybody needs
But no one wants to see

Father William saved her from the streets
She drank the lifeblood from the Saviour's feet
She's Sister Mary now, eyes as cold as ice
He takes her once a week
On the altar like a sacrifice

Spreading the disease
Everybody needs
But no one wants to see

Religion and sex are power plays
Manipulate the people for the money they pay
Selling skin, selling God
The numbers look the same on their credit cards
Politicians say no to drugs
While we pay for wars in South America
Fighting fire with empty words
While the banks get fat
And the poor stay poor
And the rich get rich
And the cops get paid
To look away
As the one percent rules America

Pat Boone?

Mr. Plow
01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
This one went south pretty fast.....off to DC?

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
sheeeees a brick and I'm drowning slowly

Hammock Parties
01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
And mail him a coupon for a Shop Vac.

You could always get him to autograph your coathanger.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
sheeeees a brick and I'm drowning slowly

Oh Iiiiii ha uhhhhh I'm still alive.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
You could always get him to autograph your coathanger.

It'd be easier to have him sign a bag of rock salt.

JD10367
01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Pat Boone?

If you don't know that's Queensryche, you should be ashamed.

But it could be Pat Boone, if it was the "heavy metal" version.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_l9bwiu7Xteg/SCVojSimT2I/AAAAAAAAALM/--eA0HYMYjc/s320/pat_boone_in_a_metal_mood.jpg
http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pat-boone1.jpg

RaiderH8r
01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
:rolleyes: Because I'm sure everytime you've had sex you were just thinking of it as a reproduction process. Give me a break.

I do but they don't always let you PIIHB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
If you don't know that's Queensryche, you should be ashamed.

But it could be Pat Boone, if it was the "heavy metal" version.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_l9bwiu7Xteg/SCVojSimT2I/AAAAAAAAALM/--eA0HYMYjc/s320/pat_boone_in_a_metal_mood.jpg
http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pat-boone1.jpg

My second guess was Michael W. Smith.

Third: Toby Keith.

Then again, given that there haven't been any recent terror attacks to commercialize for profit, maybe my third guess should have been Elvis during his gospel/Demerol phase.

CaliforniaChief
I find two things interesting about this:

1. Groups like Planned Parenthood are complaining about how this is a poor use of money when they have been recipients of the last failed bloated stimulus plan, where we were forced to spend more of our grandchildren's money to subsidize what they do. How Family Research Council chooses to spend their money is up to them since it was completely funded by private donations. The fact that they're getting so much publicity and attention before the ad even airs shows that maybe it's more effective than you think.

2. Feminist groups getting upset about this is laughable. They consider this offensive, but if Danica Patrick wants to dry hump her car in the name of GoDaddy.com, or Kim Kardashian wants to literally perform sex acts on a Carl's Jr. salad, that's not offensive to women? I have no problem at all with either of the above examples but isn't that a little strange?

Baby Lee
The Women's Center, undaunted by CBS's decision to air the FOTF Tebow ad, managed to scrape enough funds to run a counter-commercial immediately after the Tebow spot is shown.

The sport is rumored to be a one-second still of Todd Marinovich.

Or just have Justin Timberlake break in live and shove a coat hanger up Tebow's mom's gavootch.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM
2. Feminist groups getting upset about this is laughable. They consider this offensive, but if Danica Patrick wants to dry hump her car in the name of GoDaddy.com, or Kim Kardashian wants to literally perform sex acts on a Carl's Jr. salad, that's not offensive to women? I have no problem at all with either of the above examples but isn't that a little strange?

It would be strange if they didn't find it offensive, but they do.

Go sit in the corner.

CaliforniaChief
01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
It would be strange if they didn't find it offensive, but they do.

Go sit in the corner.

Then where's the outcry to pull those ads? I just don't see it.

Baby Lee
01-26-2010, 11:41 AM

<div><object width="480" height="365"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9hfbj&related=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9hfbj&related=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="365" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9hfbj_tosh0-extreme-salvia-challenge_fun">Tosh.0 - Extreme Salvia Challenge</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/wiredset">wiredset</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/fun">See more comedy videos.</a></i></div>

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM

No, but it IS the purpose of it, isn't it? Bottom line you can take all the precautions you want, but at the end of the day it's about makin babies.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Then where's the outcry to pull those ads? I just don't see it.

The best barometer to check for how feminist groups generally feel on such issues? NOW.

Look at the quote from the spokesperson for NOW in the OP.

CaliforniaChief
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Hamas, I must be missing something. The only quote I saw in the OP from NOW was this:

I'm not seeing an outcry about other ads that demean women...unless I'm missing something.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Hamas, I must be missing something. The only quote I saw in the OP from NOW was this:

I'm not seeing an outcry about other ads that demean women...unless I'm missing something.

Couple of things:

1) You associated some women's groups with all women's groups. They aren't monolithic
2) If you do want to play an LCD-type game with women's issues in regards to feminism, NOW is generally (not always, but generally) the best place to look. They view this ad as "offensive and demeaning".

Similarly, there are numerous other ads, shows, etc. that have aired over the years that have shown women operating in what feminists call "the male gaze", and they have been consistently skewered by feminists for doing so.

If interested, read Laura Mulvey's "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema".

RJ
01-26-2010, 11:58 AM

Probably because it didn't get as much publicity as an ad about abortion featuring Tim Tebow. But look it up, they've complained about the Go Daddy ads.

Personally, I don't like the Go Daddy ads. They're not something I want my daughter to see. I also don't like the idea of political ads airing during the game. But I won't lose any sleep over either. It's still a free country, at least for now.

CaliforniaChief
01-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Couple of things:

1) You are associated some women's groups with all women's groups. They aren't monolithic
2) If you do want to play an LCD-type game with women's issues in regards to feminism, NOW is generally (not always, but generally) the best place to look. They view this ad as "offensive and demeaning".

Similarly, there are numerous other ads, shows, etc. that have aired over the years that have shown women operating in what feminists call "the male gaze", and they have been consistently skewered by feminists for doing so.

If interested, read Laura Mulvey's "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema".

I agree with number 1. But the same has to be said for pro-life organizations. Family Research Council for one has always condemned people who break the law by firebombing clinics or threatening doctors who perform abortions. To have people lump them in with extreme groups who do such detestable and hateful things is not accurate.

I hope you're right on #2...again, I'm not personally offended by much of anything I see on TV because I believe that they have the right to air the ads if they buy the airtime and comply with FCC rules. The UCC ad should have aired, IMO. But I just think if groups are going to rate ads on offense, they need to be consistent.

Braincase
01-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Make a commercial critical of abortion, and you're going to get castigated. Make an HBO made-for-TV movie promoting abortion rights, and you get Emmys, Golden Globe, NAACP Image, and National Educational Media Network awards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_These_Walls_Could_Talk). Adapt a pro-choice John Irving novel into a pro-choice movie, and you get two academy awards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cider_House_Rules_(film)).

FishingRod
01-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Networks get paid to show commercials. The content of the commercial does not in my way of thinking have anything to do with the morality or lack there of, of the network. This is just as stupid and spineless of them to worry about offending the more liberal viewers as it is when they cave in to pressure from conservative groups. I don't like censorship.

Rausch
01-26-2010, 12:01 PM

DON'T DO IT!:cuss:

journeyscarab
01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
“If you’re a sports fan, and I am, that’s the holiest day of the year,” he wrote. “It’s not a day to discuss abortion. For it, against it, I don’t care what you are. On Super Sunday, I don’t care what I am. Feb. 7 is simply not the day to have that discussion.”

Meanwhile its totally cool to run ads for mens' E.D. issues featuring old dudes visiting their doctors or sitting in bathtubs in the middle of a field?? How many Go Daddy commercials do we need tucked in between the E.D. and I pee too much commercials??

JD10367
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
There are many good points in this thread. When it comes to what networks will and won't air, it's hypocritical for sure. They'll air those ED commercials, but noe anti-abortion or PETA. :shrug: But, the bottom line is, they're not public TV stations so they're free to air what they want, I guess.

RJ
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
The Super Bowl is not a place for the abortion issue.

The Super Bowl is a place for beer, boobs, trucks, salty snacks, Viagra and erections lasting more than four hours.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Make a commercial critical of abortion, and you're going to get castigated. Make an HBO made-for-TV movie promoting abortion rights, and you get Emmys, Golden Globe, NAACP Image, and National Educational Media Network awards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_These_Walls_Could_Talk). Adapt a pro-choice John Irving novel into a pro-choice movie, and you get two academy awards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cider_House_Rules_%28film%29).

Juno?

Rausch
01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Juno?

Eh, I'm thinking that if even YOU think your kid doesn't deserve to live, odds are, you're probably right...

jspchief
01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Meanwhile its totally cool to run ads for mens' E.D. issues featuring old dudes visiting their doctors or sitting in bathtubs in the middle of a field?? How many Go Daddy commercials do we need tucked in between the E.D. and I pee too much commercials?? "Totally cool"? I don't really want to see ED or prostate ads either. But at least the argument could be made for targeting a demographic.

But it's not difficult to guess where the above topics fall on the flammability list compared to abortion, religion, or politics, for most people. Call it pushing the envelope, but there will always be the risk of pushing too far, which this ad certainly runs the risk of doing.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. If someone wants to waste their money, who am I to tell them not to. Do they really think someone is going to change their mind over the issue of abortion just because of a Tim Tebow commercial?

KJROD20
01-26-2010, 12:36 PM
All I can think about is Tebow in front of the camera going: "I've won 2 national championships, a Heisman trophy, AND I survived an abortion, bitches."

MikeMaslowski
01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
My wife cries weekly about our abortion. We were kids, we were stupid and scared, we will never forgive ourselves.

jspchief
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
t.m.i.

Rausch
01-26-2010, 12:46 PM
My wife cries weekly about our abortion. We were kids, we were stupid and scared, we will never forgive ourselves.

http://static.houseofnintendo.com/houseofnintendo.com/imgname--wha_ign_gives_mega_man_9s_graphics_a_3---50226711--picard-headesk.jpg

MikeMaslowski
01-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Ok....better let the cat out before this gets ugly.

Didn't really happen, saw that quote in an abortion pamphlet.

sorry, bring the neg rep.

dirk digler
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
The Super Bowl is not a place for the abortion issue.

The Super Bowl is a place for beer, boobs, trucks, salty snacks, Viagra and erections lasting more than four hours.

Thread over

Rausch
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

http://nicedeb.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/whatever-you-moron-posters1.jpg

Bearcat
01-26-2010, 12:52 PM

ROFLLMAO

dirk digler
01-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Don't worry about it. It is not nearly as stupid as what Garcia dumbfuck posted

Sully
01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I bet Terry Tate: Office Linebacker is pissed he won't be in the commercial.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Post of the year right here.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM

LMAO You know what? You can have the keys back. The place is tainted for life after this post.

mlyonsd
01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. If someone wants to waste their money, who am I to tell them not to. Do they really think someone is going to change their mind over the issue of abortion just because of a Tim Tebow commercial?

This.

PunkinDrublic
01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Isn't that nice of the liberal media to allow a right wing hate group to advertise on one of it's stations.
Posted via Mobile Device

PunkinDrublic
01-26-2010, 01:12 PM
For all we know Tim Tebow might have a few hanger scars he's not telling us about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Isn't that nice of the liberal media to allow a right wing hate group to advertise on one of it's stations.
Posted via Mobile Device

Times are tough, you can't turn down business.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, it's all for the money. Those assholes don't care about enforcing our way of life on everyone else. /Average Right Wing Nut Job

Sully
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I would imagine a commercial like this is less about changing minds, and more about reaching people who have never really explored their stand on the subject.

Pushead2
01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
For all we know Tim Tebow might have a few hanger scars he's not telling us about.
Posted via Mobile Device

:spock:

teedubya
01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
This thread is an abortion. Kill it with fire.

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Good thing none of your mamma's aborted you. Don't reply. Just think about it.

Brock
01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Good thing none of your mamma's aborted you. Don't reply. Just think about it.

Actually, you may need to think about the logical fallacy you just posted.

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Actually, you may need to think about the logical fallacy you just posted.

LOL

Chiefnj2
01-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I would imagine a commercial like this is less about changing minds, and more about reaching people who have never really explored their stand on the subject.

And the Super Bowl is a great forum for self awareness exploration.

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
damnit I wish I would have snapped a picture but I saw a pumper sticker that said something like. "pro choice babies don't get to vote" and I put a sticky note that said "because they are dead...duh"

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
that would be sweet if the commercial told you during halftime go to channel 14 to find out more and hear testimonials. Then you turn to that channel and It Cage Match between Undertaker and big show for the Intercontential belt.

CaliforniaChief
01-26-2010, 02:06 PM
And the Super Bowl is a great forum for self awareness exploration.

Actually it is from a marketing perspective. You have an enormous audience of people who are probably not as steeped in political opinions and are more persuadable.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually it is from a marketing perspective. You have an enormous audience of people who are probably not as steeped in political opinions and are more persuadable.

Maybe Al Gore should buy some air time and push the global warming agenda.

CaliforniaChief
01-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Maybe Al Gore should buy some air time and push the global warming agenda.

Have you watched TV over the past 5 years? They've been pushing it for years.

fan4ever
01-26-2010, 02:13 PM
This whole thing boils down to "I object to anyone running ads that try and promote people to think differently than me, because those people aren't as open-minded as me".

The irony is stiffling.

PunkinDrublic
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Honey put down that coathanger there may be a future heisman winner coming out of that cave of yours. Go fish that baby out of the dumpster we may have a future first rounder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cannibal
01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I have to wonder if everyone that wants Streisand, Gore, Hanks, Garoffolo to STFU also want Dennis Miller, the cunt from Everybody love Raymond, Kurt Warner and now Tim Tebow to STFU???

Brock
01-26-2010, 04:06 PM
that would be sweet if the commercial told you during halftime go to channel 14 to find out more and hear testimonials. Then you turn to that channel and It Cage Match between Undertaker and big show for the Intercontential belt.

ROFL

blaise
01-26-2010, 09:40 PM
I have to wonder if everyone that wants Streisand, Gore, Hanks, Garoffolo to STFU also want Dennis Miller, the **** from Everybody love Raymond, Kurt Warner and now Tim Tebow to STFU???

Yeah, because hypocrisy is only a fault of the right. I'm sure if this ad were slanted liberal all the liberal reaction would be exactly as it was now, huh?

|Zach|
01-26-2010, 09:42 PM
CBS is free to run what they want on their network and the people for or against that are free to voice their opinion on the matter.

Seems like everything is working out swimmingly. Come what may...