PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Prank goes awry when coach hits blindfolded shot

luv
01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Sorry if repost.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/Video-Prank-goes-awry-when-coach-hits-blindfold?urn=top,215799

Video: Prank goes awry when coach hits blindfolded shot

By Chris Chase

The prank was set up perfectly. A high school girls' basketball coach in Kansas was told he'd win tickets to the Final Four if he hit a half-court shot while blindfolded. The crowd was instructed to scream wildly when his attempt inevitably failed (because, really, that shot is nearly impossible) so the coach would think the shot went in. For an instant ,he'd think he was Final-Four-bound and then the joke would be revealed. There was just one problem, though: He made it.

The students at Olathe High School in Kansas may have picked the wrong foil for the joke. Joel Branstrom, the popular girls' basketball coach at the school, was a walk-on for the University of Kansas basketball team in 1997. Clearly he had the basketball chops to make such a prank risky, at best.

That Kansas team, by the way, was ranked No. 1 headed into the NCAA tournament but lost one game short of the Final Four. Branstrom was hoping he'd finally get to go this year. Instead he received a gift certificate from a Mexican restaurant from students who felt guilty about setting up the prank.

To his credit, Branstrom took the joke in stride. He said he thought something was in the works (initially he feared he was going to get hit with a pie) and figured the crowd would cheer after any shot he attempted. He didn't believe that it actually went in until a good bit after.

One student told USA Today that since this story has gained national attention there have been offers pouring in from people willing to donate Final Four tickets to Branstrom. Maybe his miracle shot won't be unrewarded after all.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3heqhwoqVTE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3heqhwoqVTE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bevischief
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Sucker...
Posted via Mobile Device

googlegoogle
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
i see holes in the bandana.

Hootie
01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
was that like a real short court or something?

Hootie
01-26-2010, 05:26 PM
I think it would be even funnier if they were pranking all of us...

like they set that up and replayed it until he actually made it and then told everyone that it was a prank went wrong so he could get free final 4 tickets from someone who felt bad

that would be the better prank

luv
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I think it would be even funnier if they were pranking all of us...

like they set that up and replayed it until he actually made it and then told everyone that it was a prank went wrong so he could get free final 4 tickets from someone who felt bad

that would be the better prank

That would be one creative way to get free tickets.

Demonpenz
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
we used to pull pranks like this all the time, one time we told a bunch of ladies that we would do her siding for 300 bucks, she thought it was a good deal and cut us a check. We laughed our asses off

Mile High Mania
01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Enh, that's not really a prank... more like an ill-advised prop bet.

L.A. Chieffan
01-26-2010, 06:07 PM
some seriously preppy kids at that school. looks like high school musical in the bleachers

Lzen
01-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Heh. Even Jayhawks walk ons shoot better than MU starters. :D

Dante84
01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
What olathe high school?

there are 4.... East North South and Northwest. I am a product of East.

EDIT - Never mind, Northwest.

Pants
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
It was all over ESPN last night and this morning. Olathe Northwest is not the preppiest school, lol.

88TG88
01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
some seriously preppy kids at that school. looks like high school musical in the bleachers

LOL, especially the kid with the bouncy shoes.

At my school whenever the students planned anything the faculty thought it was an attempt to do something illegal.

Silock
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that everyone from Olathe can hit that shot. It's part of the group of special powers you get when you move across the city lines.

Rain Man
01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
What olathe high school?

EDIT - Never mind, Northwest.

East, North, South, and Northwest?

East?

North?

South?

Northwest?

I want to know how Northwest was named. I want to know how long they deliberated on that name. I want to know what other names were suggested.

Farzin
01-26-2010, 08:07 PM

East?

North?

South?

Northwest?

I want to know how Northwest was named. I want to know how long they deliberated on that name. I want to know what other names were suggested.

Now that you mention it, I've always been curious as to why is it that a majority of Kansas City high schools are named location? Blue Valley West, Olathe East, Spring Hill South, Lee's Summit West, Blue Springs South, etc.

Rockhurst, Blue Valley, Bishop M and Lawrence Free State are the only schools I can think of nearby that are not named by location..

Reaper16
01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
They stole that prank from Collegehumor's Prank Wars series.

POND_OF_RED
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Now that you mention it, I've always been curious as to why is it that a majority of Kansas City high schools are named location? Blue Valley West, Olathe East, Spring Hill South, Lee's Summit West, Blue Springs South, etc.

Rockhurst, Blue Valley, Bishop M and Lawrence Free State are the only schools I can think of nearby that are not named by location..

There are other schools in the same city that came first. Blue Springs High School and Lees Summit High School are both actual schools already. They add the west and south to the school names after that.

Stanley Nickels
01-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Liberty
Leavenworth
Truman
Chrisman
all the KCMO and KCK schools
Ft. Osage

There are a lot that aren't directionals

cdcox
01-27-2010, 12:02 AM
This thread is full of North of the river fail.

Oak Park
Winnetonka
Park Hill

bigbucks24
01-27-2010, 12:20 AM

East?

North?

South?

Northwest?

The problem was that Northwest was built most recently and was north or North. So it was the most northern school and the most western school. I'm sure if they had built them all at the same time, they would have named them differently.

"Bob" Dobbs
01-27-2010, 01:32 AM
What olathe high school?

EDIT - Never mind, Northwest.Explains a lot. LOL I'm actually a product of Olathe High School, back before it was renamed North.

tyton75
01-27-2010, 06:10 AM
This thread is full of North of the river fail.

Oak Park
Winnetonka
Park Hill

Easy.. I'm from Oak Park... although Winnetonka was full of thugs in my time there

Pioli Zombie
01-27-2010, 06:21 AM
In Olathe its always 70 degrees, every shot is made, and cheerleaders don't wear panties. Come back Willie Aames!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
01-27-2010, 06:27 AM
The problem was that Northwest was built most recently and was north or North. So it was the most northern school and the most western school. I'm sure if they had built them all at the same time, they would have named them differently.
Its located near the Mahaffie Stagecoach museum where every year they re-enact a rape of a small indian village.
Posted via Mobile Device

ziggysocki
01-27-2010, 08:34 AM

Yep. And the basketball shot prank wasn't even close to as funny as the tandem skydive with the fake 'pull away' ripcord and panicky instructor. That was one of the funniest (and cruelest) practical jokes of all time... ROFL

Farzin
01-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm aware that not all of them are named by direction, which is why I said a majority are.

kepp
01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Former ku walk-on? He cheated :p

Sofa King
01-27-2010, 08:47 AM

yup. that's the first thing i thought of when i seen it as well..

MOhillbilly
01-27-2010, 08:53 AM

i lol'd at springy springerson.

Stanley Nickels
01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
While making a video about the prank, this reporter made the shot of his life:

WTF??

http://www.break.com/index/reporter-makes-backwards-half-court-shot.html

Stanley Nickels
01-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Longer, more LOL-WUT version:
http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-rob-low-makes-impossible-shot,0,4018624.story

KurtCobain
01-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I hope he gets the tickets.

Buck
01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
I love how Fox 4 KC says "Reporter makes miracle shot too." How the hell were either of those miracle shots?

Ask Mario Chalmers what a Miracle Shot is.

KurtCobain
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Ask Mario Chalmers what a Miracle Shot is.

I would, but I'd feel a little queer chatting it up with a g - ayhawk.