PDA

View Full Version : Science 24 Years ago today

Buck
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mr1TMyxArXk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mr1TMyxArXk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

L.A. Chieffan
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
what is your deal today buck?

JD10367
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
All I see in work is a white square, but I assume you're referring to Challenger. I still remember where I was that day; walking from one class to another in college.

Still pisses me off that we lost all those people and that multimillion-dollar hardware over a f**king rubber o-ring. And supposedly the people who built the thing KNEW it shouldn't fly in the cold weather and were telling NASA that, right up to the launch...

BigVE
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
I remember when this happened very vividly. The launching of the space shuttle was a much bigger deal back then, it was an event of sorts.

MOhillbilly
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
my dad went to huntsville for the teacher in space program.....

Rain Man
01-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I was a senior in aerospace engineering with a goal of working for NASA when that happened. That event shut down the interviewing process for a couple of years, and my dream of living in Florida and doing orbital mechanics and maybe, just maybe, finding a beautiful blonde genie on a beach died on the vine.

Bane
01-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I remember sitting in school watching it as it happened.My teacher had an ape shit fit when it exploded.Damn I can't believe it's been that long.I was 11 so I guess 6th grade maybe....

kstater
01-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I was a senior in aerospace engineering with a goal of working for NASA when that happened. That event shut down the interviewing process for a couple of years, and my dream of living in Florida and doing orbital mechanics and maybe, just maybe, finding a beautiful blonde genie on a beach died on the vine.

You think the opposite would have happened. 7 more openings.

JD10367
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Barbara Eden. Yum.

Ever watch "Dancing With The Stars"? There's a professional dancer from Down Under, her name is Kym Johnson. Very reminiscent of Barbara. :hump:

JD10367
01-28-2010, 03:22 PM
my dad went to huntsville for the teacher in space program.....

There are many people in history who we have no idea how they felt and could never possibly know. Hitler's mom, for example. That poor schmuck who caught that Cubs ball (can't remember the guy's name but he's probably in Witness Protection now). Brad Pitt (f**ked Jennifer Aniston AND Angelina Jolie... bastard!).

Another one of those "we have no idea what it's like to be that person" types is whoever the teacher is who came in 2nd for that flight. To think, how hard and long the process was, and for it to come down to you and McAuliffe, and you lose out... and you're watching the shuttle take off, with a bitter heart, thinking, "I was so close, that could be me".... and then the thing blows up. I mean, what did he feel? Certainly not happy, but... talk about an emotion swing.

Lumpy
01-28-2010, 03:22 PM
what is your deal today buck?

I blame Drew Brees' birthmark.

kepp
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I think I was in 7th grade when it happened. We were eating lunch and listening to it on a radio that a teacher had brought in. The main thing I remember is that, when the radio reported that the shuttle had exploded, one of my best friends started laughing hysterically. No one was ever sure why. He got suspended for a day, I think.

TrebMaxx
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I was on guard duty at the motor pool in Bamberg Germany when this happened. I remember getting a call from HQ's that it just happened.

Buck
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't have any kind of deal, I just happened to remember that it was a week after my birthday.

kepp
01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't have any kind of deal, I just happened to remember that it was a week after my birthday.

Are you of Mayan descent?

Buck
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Are you of Mayan descent?

I am 1/4 Mexican, if that counts.

Rain Man
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I think I was in 7th grade when it happened. We were eating lunch and listening to it on a radio that a teacher had brought in. The main thing I remember is that, when the radio reported that the shuttle had exploded, one of my best friends started laughing hysterically. No one was ever sure why. He got suspended for a day, I think.

I bet Christa McAuliffe gave him a D in spelling in 2nd grade.

RaiderH8r
01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye, and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."
-President Ronald Reagan

http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/speeches/Ronald_Reagan/1.htm

Fish
01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I really wanted to be an astronaut when I was young. I've always been fascinated with the idea of travelling through space. I remember that day, as it was a pretty special event when they would bring the TVs into the classroom for us to watch something. I even wore my space shuttle ring to school that day. My parents got me this little silver ring that had the space shuttle on it, which I actually still have. I always thought I was pretty hot shit on the occasions for when I wore out of the house.

I can remember being so sad and confused when this happened. It really put a damper on my dreams at the time, as for some reason this caused me to lose faith in NASA. But luckily it was soon restored after watching the movie Space Camp....

MOhillbilly
01-28-2010, 03:37 PM
There are many people in history who we have no idea how they felt and could never possibly know. Hitler's mom, for example. That poor schmuck who caught that Cubs ball (can't remember the guy's name but he's probably in Witness Protection now). Brad Pitt (f**ked Jennifer Aniston AND Angelina Jolie... bastard!).

Another one of those "we have no idea what it's like to be that person" types is whoever the teacher is who came in 2nd for that flight. To think, how hard and long the process was, and for it to come down to you and McAuliffe, and you lose out... and you're watching the shuttle take off, with a bitter heart, thinking, "I was so close, that could be me".... and then the thing blows up. I mean, what did he feel? Certainly not happy, but... talk about an emotion swing.

he got cut at 250.

L.A. Chieffan
01-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I blame it on Norv

L.A. Chieffan
01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
steve bartman, and the worst part about it was years later moises alou comes out and says he never wouldve been able to catch it anyways. WAY TO GO MOISES!

Halfcan
sad day I wont ever forget

Buck
he got cut at 250.

Its still had to be a little freaky for him?

MOhillbilly
01-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Its still had to be a little freaky for him?

my dad was stone cold bro.

abit freaky for the rest of us though....

Buck
01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Ahh ok. Thats pretty crazy.

Frazod
01-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I was in the Navy, taking a noon nap when it happened. When I came upstairs to go back to my office, there was a group of guys sitting around watching TV in complete silence with shocked expressions on their faces. On the screen was a shuttle taking off, and I couldn't understand what the big deal was. Then it exploded, and I realized they were watching a replay of it. That was a terrible day. :(

MOhillbilly
01-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Ahh ok. Thats pretty crazy.

in the grand scheme of things not really.

Buck
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
in the grand scheme of things not really.

I know what you are saying, that we all will face death someday, but I can't imagine being a kid in your situation if my Dad was in your Dad's boots.

rockymtnchief
01-28-2010, 03:53 PM
It was the day of my worst hangover. I'd just turned 19 (legal drinking age) and was trying to make it through the day when I saw it on a tv in college. I went from being sick to sad instantly.

MOhillbilly
01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
I know what you are saying, that we all will face death someday, but I can't imagine being a kid in your situation if my Dad was in your Dad's boots.

not like tears were shed.

-King-
01-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Wasn't born yet so I didn't get to experience that. I guess 9/11 is my version of it except about 1000 times worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
01-28-2010, 04:00 PM

No, but its a mindfuck.

-King-
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM

ROFL ROFLROFLROFL I don't know why but you and buck's conversation is cracking me up. Its like he's trying to make it seem sad and your downplaying the whole thing. Dunno why its funny to me
Posted via Mobile Device

MoreLemonPledge
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Wasn't born yet so I didn't get to experience that. I guess 9/11 is my version of it except about 1000 times worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

This. Well, I was born, but I was only 7 months old.

MOhillbilly
01-28-2010, 04:03 PM
No, but its a mind****.

no dude, mind fuck is when you put em in the ground for good an all.

-King-
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
No, but its a mindfuck.

Eh not really /MOhillbilly
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
01-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Anyone know what NASA stands for?

-King-
01-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Anyone know what NASA stands for?

National aeronautics space administration.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
National aeronautics space administration.
Posted via Mobile DeviceOh, I thought it was Need Another Seven Astronauts

-King-
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh, I thought it was Need Another Seven Astronauts

ROFL so wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
ROFL so wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device:D There are other ones out there, but I don't know if I should post them now. I'll probably get flamed for that one.

Buck
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
no dude, mind fuck is when you put em in the ground for good an all.

You and I have a different definition. I'm sure you've been through a lot more shit than me though, so I respect your opinion.