PDA

View Full Version : Life Have you ever run out of gas?

RockChalk
01-29-2010, 08:28 AM
I've been driving around for a few days with my gas light on and was just curious if anyone has ever run out of gas before? How long were you stranded? Any cool stories about a random helping you?

I usually cut it pretty close, but have never actually run out. My mom, on the other hand, will never let her car get below a quarter tank. Just wondering how low everyone else lets their gas get.

To borrow from FAX, sorry if Repost :D

seclark
01-29-2010, 08:35 AM
several times when i was a kid(<25 years old)
i always fill up the tank when it gets to 1/4 tank.

does the lawn mowers count?
sec

Bane
01-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Yep.I had a 97 S-10 pickup years ago,and for some reason the gas gauge broke.I would usually try to watch my milage and get gas when I thought I was down to 1/4 tank or so.Well you know how that shit goes,forget to reset the trip meter,or just flat ass forget to even look.Yeah! It happened several times.

kepp
01-29-2010, 08:37 AM
I've run out of gas twice...both times when I was a teenager. One time I had to walk about 5 miles home and the other time some guy picked me up and gave me a ride home. Thinking back on it, I got lucky it wasn't some psycho.

MOhillbilly
01-29-2010, 08:38 AM
ran out of gas on fort street and seen two schmooz and a big ass frog,diffrent time though, but it was a big ass frog.

BigRichard
01-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Back in my younger years I ran out of gas all the time. Just too dumb to pay attention I guess. I haven't done it in probably 10 years though. However, I worry my wife because I run it down to E all the time.

seclark
01-29-2010, 08:41 AM
ran out of gas on fort street and seen two schmooz and a big ass frog,diffrent time though, but it was a big ass frog.

?

MOhillbilly
01-29-2010, 08:44 AM
?

damn close. Maybe went 5# or better.

Lonewolf Ed
01-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Once, and it was right as I pulled into the gas station. I was driving a hunk of junk work vehicle, this old panel truck. The gas gauge didn't work, among a host of other things such as the headlights. There was no A/C at all (except in winter...) and the heater only fogged up the windshield. The "heater" worked best in July and August, that being the engine in the dog hatch compartment right beside me. I put a kitchen thermometer on the dash panel and drove out to a delivery and when I got there, it showed 139 degrees inside that truck. It was 104 outside that day, but when I got out of the truck, I felt a chill for a moment. I really ought to savagely beat my boss, shouldn't I?

blaise
01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Yes. I had a 1979 Buick Electra beater that, when the needle got to that empty line, it immediately stopped. Most cars give you that little grace under the line, but that one didn't. That thing sucked gas. It cost you five bucks just to drive down the street.

Dayze
01-29-2010, 08:55 AM
never ran out of gas, but had to flip the reserve on my fuel on the bike; and had to go another 30 miles for fuel.

gas tank held 4.2 gal (inclusive of .8 gal reserve); and when I fillded up the tank, I put 4.1 gals of fuel or thereabouts. Damn close on that one.

Rausch
01-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Did it once.

The gas gauge went out on my 2nd car.

I figured it out the hard way...

MichaelH
01-29-2010, 09:10 AM
My first car was a 1972 Chevy Nova with a 350 in it and a Holley 4 barrel carb. The gas gauge didn't work. If I didn't pay attention, which happened a lot at 16, it would just quit running.

kc rush
01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Twice.

When I was 17 I had to walk 3 miles home to get my dad's gas can and 3 miles back to the car. Not a big deal, just a waste of time.

When I was 21 I picked up my paycheck from work and was on my way to the bank so I would have enough cash to get gas. I ran out about a block from the bank, so I walked to the bank, cashed my check, walked to the gas station across the street and got a small gas can so I could drive the rest of the way to the gas station.

SCTrojan
01-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Twice. Same story as most everybody else: When I was a kid, I had a '72 VW Bug with a broken gauge. Never had to walk anywhere since I grew up in a small town and there was always someone along quickly to take me to a gas station.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-29-2010, 09:53 AM

I take it you'd been eating shrooms ?

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I used to have a Chevy LUV truck that had a gas guage that lied. And lied a lot.

Bane
01-29-2010, 09:57 AM
I used to have a Chevy LUV truck that had a gas guage that lied. And lied a lot.

That was my first truck.A 81 chevy luv,and the muthafugga was yellow!:facepalm:

MTG#10
01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
I ran out of gas around 1am this morning on I44. Unfortunately I have T-Mobile and reception sucks in certain parts around Springfield...I happened to be in one of those parts. I decided to hoof it to the nearest gas station (about 5 miles) and made it no more than 50 yards from my truck when a nice BMW stopped with four twenty-something blondes inside. They were all playboy material, beautiful faces, perfect tits, asses that you could bounce a quarter off of...you get the idea. "Kitten", the one sitting in the passenger seat, asked me if I needed a ride so I gladly accepted and climbed into the back seat between "Roxy" and "Tiffany". We took the first exit but I was surprised when we passed the gas station. Instead we pulled into a hotel because they said they wanted to show me their room. I didnt have anything else to do so I agreed and we all went in. I'll let you know more when I leave.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I ran out of gas around 1am this morning on I44. Unfortunately I have T-Mobile and reception sucks in certain parts around Springfield...I happened to be in one of those parts. I decided to hoof it to the nearest gas station (about 5 miles) and made it no more than 50 yards from my truck when a nice BMW stopped with four twenty-something blondes inside. They were all playboy material, beautiful faces, perfect tits, asses that you could bounce a quarter off of...you get the idea. "Kitten", the one sitting in the passenger seat, asked me if I needed a ride so I gladly accepted and climbed into the back seat between "Roxy" and "Tiffany". We took the first exit but I was surprised when we passed the gas station. Instead we pulled into a hotel because they said they wanted to show me their room. I didnt have anything else to do so I agreed and we all went in. I'll let you know more when I leave.

Posted via mobile device

Sorry to hear that. Don't worry, things will get better.

ChiTown
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Is it running out of gas if your car stalls, meter is on E, yellow light is flashing, yet you are able to drop it into Neutral and coast downhill into a Gas Station?

MTG#10
01-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear that. Don't worry, things will get better.

I hope so. Unfortunately none of them want to fuck, they all want me to make love to them...

Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
01-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I hope so. Unfortunately none of them want to fuck, they all want me to make love to them...

Posted via Mobile Device

:cuss: Damn them!!!!

GET OUT OF THERE NOW!!!

L.A. Chieffan
01-29-2010, 10:20 AM
no, but my wife has. which pretty much means i'm doing all the work.

Inspector
01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
The first few times I used my elliptical........

HemiEd
01-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Many times, but it has been a very long time since it happened. It used to be no big deal with a carbureted car, but it is now.

Sofa King
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
That was my first truck.A 81 chevy luv,and the muthafugga was yellow!:facepalm:

I had a 1984 Mazda pickup as my first, tannish, rusty color...

still got it, and 3 more! 2 are parts trucks, 2 are running condition.. they suck, but fun to booze cruise with...

MOhillbilly
01-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I take it you'd been eating shrooms ?

stone sober middle of the day.

SAUTO
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
yes but only once in my own car. hell two days ago i ran out in a car that i hadnt driven 50 feet.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
yes but only once in my own car. hell two days ago i ran out in a car that i hadnt driven 50 feet.

Now that's funny !ROFL Sorry.

SAUTO
01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Now that's funny !ROFL Sorry.

all i could do right then was laugh my self. funny thing was that it was here for an oil change. nothing related to fuel or anything.:shake:

Fish
01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Drove a 72 Ford Bronco back in the day. Like 9 gallons to the mile. Gas gauge never worked. Ended up walking quite a few times.

Earthling
01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Ran out of gas in the backwoods once and walked to this old cabin I had passed earlier. Around midnight and lights were on still so I knocked. Thru the window I could see this old timer sleeping in his rocking chair shotgun across his lap. He turned out to be a hell of a nice guy and had a gas can with a few gallons in it he gave me...enough to get to a gas station. He told me to just get his can back to him the next day which I did, filled, and left a 20 dollar bill under the edge. Funny cause that old coot looked meaner than a junkyard dog and prolly was if you were dumb enough to cross him. My kind of guy.

MTG#10
01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Ran out of gas in the backwoods once and walked to this old cabin I had passed earlier. Around midnight and lights were on still so I knocked. Thru the window I could see this old timer sleeping in his rocking chair shotgun across his lap. He turned out to be a hell of a nice guy and had a gas can with a few gallons in it he gave me...enough to get to a gas station. He told me to just get his can back to him the next day which I did, filled, and left a 20 dollar bill under the edge. Funny cause that old coot looked meaner than a junkyard dog and prolly was if you were dumb enough to cross him. My kind of guy.

Did you make sweet love to him?

Frazod
01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Just once. When I would drive from base at Great Lakes to Columbia or Jefferson City in my old Cutlass Supreme, I'd always hit empty around Wentzville, a few miles west of St. Louis. I always stopped at the same gas station. But once I brought a friend back with me, and apparently the weight of an extra person dropped the fuel efficiency just enough, because I ran out of gas just as I got to the exit ramp. Luckily the gas station was only about a five minute walk, but I sure felt stupid.

The person with me was female, and didn't exactly appreciate my theory, either. :D

jjchieffan
01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Several times for me. Once driving across Montana. I passes a gas station with over a quarter tank left in my truck. It drank the gas climbing the mountains. I was just a couple of miles short of a gas station too. I hitched a ride, bought a can and gas, and hitched back.

seclark
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
one time, a buddy and i took mrs sec's car to a hockey game in st. louis. i drove down and had a few beers, so he drove back. what sucked was we'd stopped twice on the way home to grab snacks and coffee, but completely forgot about gas.

about 2am, we were 20 miles from my house and he mentioned that we'd driven a hell of a long way w/o putting gas in the car. well, it was too late to find a place open in nemo, so we just kept going. made it to the bottom of the hill from my house and it died. so, we walked up to the barn and grabbed a can used for the lawn mowers. while we were walking back past the house, he was telling me not to tell mrs sec about running out of gas, because he'd just got into it w/his wife about her always running out of gas. little did we know, mrs sec was standing inside next the an open window listening to us talk. she snitched us out, of course.

sec

MOhillbilly
01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
lol. sec claims theres hockey in st.louis.

you really are a funny guy...ROFL

seclark
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
lol. sec claims theres hockey in st.louis.

you really are a funny guy...ROFL

f@ckin red wings fans...:mad:
sec

DeepPurple
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Only once, I was 25 at the time and had a good excuse. It was my motorcycle and I had forgot that I had switched to reserve before going in a bar.

I was in the bar for about 5 hours and left about midnight and was pretty well lit. I got about two miles when I ran out of gas. It was along a highway, middle of the night and in Florida in July. Hot as hell and muggy and I had to push the bike about a mile. I dropped it a couple of times because besides being drunk and hot, I was on the grassy slope off the edge of the road so I wouldn't get run over. That was the last time that ever happened.

Inspector
01-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I never ran out of gas while in the car but I did pass gas a few times. It's a treat for the grandkids. They love that stuff.

rtmike
01-29-2010, 02:52 PM
I voted one time. But now that I think about it I think it was the fuel pump.

When I drove OTR I ran out one time. Fuel prices had jumped & there were only a few places we were allowed to fuel up at. I got to Portland to deliver & as I got off the freeway at a light the truck died. Lucky for me 5 blocks down the road a good friend worked & brought me 5 gal. to get me going. I had the filter off ahead of time so when he got there it was real quick. I think I was down 20-25 minutes at the most.

I froze up one time too in Nebraska.

googlegoogle
01-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Twice.

When I was 17 I had to walk 3 miles home to get my dad's gas can and 3 miles back to the car. Not a big deal, just a waste of time.

When I was 21 I picked up my paycheck from work and was on my way to the bank so I would have enough cash to get gas. I ran out about a block from the bank, so I walked to the bank, cashed my check, walked to the gas station across the street and got a small gas can so I could drive the rest of the way to the gas station.

ROFL

Cannibal
01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I ran out of gas once when I was a poverty stricken punk in my late teens when I would gamble with the gas gauge vs. my wallet.

Kerberos
01-29-2010, 03:58 PM
I ran out once and who was there with a 5 gallon can when I called?

Dane of course.

Buck
01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Dane McCloud would never run out of gas, what a silly question.

38yrsfan
01-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Gauge hasn't worked for years and the low-gas idiot bulb burned out, never stranded though ... always carry extra.

stlchiefs
01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Yep, in high school I had an old Jeep. The gas gauge shook like an old man's hand. It was always a guessing game trying to figure out how much gas I had. Unfortunately I didn't always win.

Psyko Tek
01-29-2010, 06:11 PM
ran out twice on bikes
one time it was downhill 3 blocks to the gas station
the other it was 2 miles up hill to home

that was a 550 suzi weighed around 800 lbs

good times

chefsos
01-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Yep. I was 20, it was the company car, and it was my first day on the job. I was to drive 40 miles to get some paperwork from our salesman and get it back to the office, as soon as the assistant manager returned with the car.

He came in, parked it (running on fumes, unbeknownst to me), I hopped in and took off. Made maybe ten miles before it sputtered to a halt. Had to walk to a (luckily) nearby gas station to get gas and, *shudder*, call the boss with the news that I'd be very late picking up the papers. I thought he might fire me right there and then, but he chewed out the ass't mgr instead.

I kept my job, but it was definitely not a fun day.

teedubya
01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Never. I'm wise enough to put gas in when it needs it.

KCChiefsMan
01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
yep, back before the days of fuel injection my Toyota would not start if I parked it up a hill too. But I've only ran out of gas once, you learn your lesson.

Mama Hip Rockets
01-29-2010, 08:32 PM
I ran out of gas once right as I was about to turn into the gas station. I had to walk from the parking lot next door and fill up a gas can.

Over-Head
01-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Once in my transport truck, a few times in my car, and the other night on the wife :banghead:

jjchieffan
01-29-2010, 09:45 PM
I ran a deisel water truck out of water once. I was hauling water for the earth movers for the new Branson airport. I knew the fuel was low, but couldn't locate the supervisor. I was working the night shift, and he had the key to the fuel tank. I found the assistant supervisor, he put a stick in the tank and decided I would have enough to make it. I ran out on my way back for the last friggin load. I was close to a gas station, so they pulled me into there, put fuel in it, and after about an hour, it finally started and I took the truck back. SOB boss who was nowhere to be found earlier fired me. I guess I should have told his boss that if he hadn't been hiding out sleeping, I could have got fuel.

bevischief
01-29-2010, 09:54 PM
About a day later after that last bowl of chili...

BWillie
01-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Yes. I had been drinking just enough to be close to the boarder line. Off of Independence avenue. Twas not good. I walked to a gas station, luckily friend saw me. Picked me up. Had to hide out while my car was inspected by a copper on the side of the curb. When he left I high tailed it outta there before the tow truck made it.

BigMeatballDave
01-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah, but not since the early 90s. I dont let my fuel gauge get below 1/4 now.