PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs And Chiefs fans are ignored again...

DJ's left nut
01-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Bill Simmons tries to describe 'tortured' fanbases.

His rules are fairly simple - no titles in 35 years, a series of scarring losses, a truly brutal loss (defined by a single phrase) and a 'rock bottom' point.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100129&sportCat=nfl

HOW THE HELL DO WE NOT MAKE THIS LIST!?!?!?!?

We certainly don't have a title in the last 35 years.

A series of scarring losses? We've got that crap covered in spades. I present to you the 1990s.

Truly brutal losses defined by single phrases? 'Lynn Elliot' and 'No Punts'...his own damn website just wrote a column about Elliot's awfulness and it stems entirely from that game.

Rock Bottom? The last 3 years don't count? We play to win 10 games...out of 48.

Hell, arguably the best player in our franchises' history didn't live to see retirement and our rookie recordholder at RB saw the same fate. Top that crap, Minnesota.

C'mon, let's strafe an inbox here -- http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=feedback/sportsguy

If we're going to get overlooked as a legitimate franchise, we may as well get our due as a truly tortured fanbase.

Reaper16
01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Bill Simmons is a twat.

Pushead2
01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Bill Simmons is a twat.

He is very set in his opinions and isn't open minded as a sports writer. I personally think he is a turd as well as Peter King

Cjanz
01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
...and thus begins the campaign to make our incompetence recognized.

Agent V
01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
...and thus begins the campaign to make our incompetence recognized.

They must KNOW our pain!

MMXcalibur
01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm surprised he didn't put the New England Patriots, Boston Celtics or Boston Red Sox on the list. I mean, holy shit, they haven't won a title in a couple years! The torture!

HemiEd
01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Looks like the Chiefs missed the cut by a year, everyone else on that list has been at least one year longer, to never.

DJ's left nut
01-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Looks like the Chiefs missed the cut by a year, everyone else on that list has been at least one year longer, to never.

His cutoff was 35 years, we don't miss that cut.

Further, the Blazer won one in 78.

We got shafted.

This isn't a celebration of KC's incompetence, it's a recognition of its fans.

RUSH
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I knew the Knickerbockers would be on there. Thank god I'm a Yankee fan.

Mets, Knicks and Chiefs would be torture.

Christofire
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
He did a brilliant job riding the Red Sox to a sweet espn gig. I can do without the whole "I am a conduit for the tortured masses" bit.

FloridaMan88
01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
He should have included the professional sports fans of Kansas City in general, between the Royals/Chiefs.

L.A. Chieffan
01-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I think he's funny. Depsite being a Boston queerbagel

SDChiefs
01-29-2010, 01:19 PM

We got shafted.

My Mariners and Blazers are on the list. My Chiefs and LA Kings should be on the list. Does this mean I should just end it now? FML.

HemiEd
01-29-2010, 01:57 PM

We got shafted.

I stand corrected, read the 35 year part, but excluding the Blazers all have been over 35 and more than the Chiefs.

sedated
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
"Possible factors that could negatively affect this empathetic assessment: success of other teams in the same city (for instance, nobody is feeling bad for Boston Bruins fans after the other three Boston teams won a combined six titles this past decade); lack of media attention; unwavering optimism within the fan base; and steady losing devoid of playoff nightmares (like the Lions or Saints)."

Chiefs were left off for one of these two reasons.

Either he thinks the Chiefs ineptitude didn't get enough media attention, or he doesn't realize how jaded the Chiefs fanbase has become (which is understandable since he is an east-coast, big market guy)