PDA

View Full Version : For all the hate Taylor Mays gets..

Mecca
01-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Didn't the senior bowl show that he does what he's asked to do?

At SC he played deep middle and punished guys, at the senior bowl Mike Nolan was talking to him about playing the ball and baiting a QB and what do you know, he does it and gets a pick.

I feel confident in saying that Mays will be a MUCH better pro than collegian, and could still end up being a top 10 pick.

It just goes to show that you can be used in a way that diminishes some of what you can do.

Titty Meat
01-31-2010, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't say I hated Taylor Mays but I was skeptical whats wrong with that? And yes today changed my opinon about him. I'm still not sure he's a #5 pick.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-31-2010, 01:01 AM
People can call me nuts, but I still say Mays has the nicest career of any safety drafted this year. I've already stated just exactly what I think he can do, I won't continue to drive that point home.

Mecca
01-31-2010, 01:04 AM
I think the fact that he made more plays in the senior bowl than he did in an entire season just shows he was doing what the coaches asked him to do.

I guess there is a such thing as being to coachable.

Basileus777
01-31-2010, 01:06 AM
I think it's a good demonstration of how Mays has the potential to be a much better pro player than he was in college.

Mecca
01-31-2010, 01:08 AM
I think it's a good demonstration of how Mays has the potential to be a much better pro player than he was in college.

I've said for several years, the way he was used in college was a waste of a lot of his natural talent and he would likely end up a better pro in terms of production.

Just blows my mind to see that, and just his pure natural ability and have some question if he's even worth a 2nd rounder or "oh he should play LB".

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2010, 01:09 AM
I don't know how you can hate on someone who is a dead ringer for Taimak from Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon.

Titty Meat
01-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Is he black or mixed? Not that it matters I was JW.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Is he black or mixed? Not that it matters I was JW.

He's Samoan.

BryanBusby
01-31-2010, 01:20 AM
I've said for several years, the way he was used in college was a waste of a lot of his natural talent and he would likely end up a better pro in terms of production.

Just blows my mind to see that, and just his pure natural ability and have some question if he's even worth a 2nd rounder or "oh he should play LB".

I'd be thrilled if he somehow fell into the 2nd round for the Chiefs on draft day.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2010, 01:21 AM
Mays will go in the top half of the first round unless he fails a drug test or runs an awful time at the combine.

Mecca
01-31-2010, 01:27 AM
Mays is one of the few guys that if he posts a 4.4 it will be disappointing since everyone thinks he can do a 4.3

ChiefsCountry
01-31-2010, 02:04 AM
Mays will be a linebacker/ laz

Mecca
01-31-2010, 02:13 AM

I came to this realization long ago that Laz and Chiefnj will basically hate players because I like them, especially if they are from SC.

Last year NJ loved saying Maualuga sucked and was overhyped repeatedly, we see how that worked out.

|Zach|
01-31-2010, 02:19 AM
I don't know how you can hate on someone who is a dead ringer for Taimak from Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon.

ROFL

BossChief
01-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I got to say it, Mays really impressed me.

I would still take McClain or Berry if all three were on the board, but he is back in the conversation in my eyes.

Mr. Laz
01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
People can call me nuts, but I still say Mays has the nicest career of any safety drafted this year. I've already stated just exactly what I think he can do, I won't continue to drive that point home.
well your name is "nuts" afterall

Mr. Laz
01-31-2010, 09:56 AM

i like to suck dick /ChiefsCountry

keg in kc
01-31-2010, 10:01 AM
i like to suck dickWe all knew that years and years ago, but it's healthy for you to finally let it out, man.

Mr. Laz
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
We all knew that years and years ago, but it's healthy for you to finally let it out, man.
nice (mis)quote edit :clap:

keg in kc
01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
I gotz mad skillz.

Sully
01-31-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't hate Mays at all. I actually really like him, and what he brings. And I haven't made it all the way through the game, yet. But what worries me is the missed tackle in the box, where he was going for the kill shot and lowered his head and whiffed. The INT was nice, but also a dumbass throw by the QB, throwing a deep ball down the middle against a Cover 1. I don't think that INT showed much.

Mr. Laz
01-31-2010, 10:16 AM
I gotz genital warts
sorry to hear that, but TMI

wow ... that is fun. PBJ

keg in kc
01-31-2010, 10:20 AM
sorry to hear that, but TMI

wow ... that is fun. PBJIt's not as impressive when you have to actually edit text. True masters only edit by omission. :shake:

I could have genital warts, you know. I've never had an outbreak, never seen any but there's no way to test it on a guy. It's possible to be a carrier and never ever even know.

Strange but true.

That's your weekly ChiefsPlanet medical update.

acesn8s
01-31-2010, 10:24 AM
I came to this realization long ago that Laz and Chiefnj will basically hate players because I like them, especially if they are from SC.

Last year NJ loved saying Maualuga sucked and was overhyped repeatedly, we see how that worked out.Yep! He sucked....

the beer down.

B_Ambuehl
01-31-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't dislike him, but I dislike the reason for the hype around him. He's a perfect example of how people outside of football can turn myth into reality. He's a product of draftnicks and other idiots who think size and straight line speed are all that makes a player great - and that's all he's ever been. In reality according to his own teammates he wasn't even as good on the field as Kevin Ellison, who got zero hype whatsoever. His instincts are definitely not first rate, he misses tackles, he lacks agility, and his chest thumping attitude about himself is at a level that his play never has been.

Having said that, he still might end up being a decent player. But catching one gift INT in an all=star game that was thrown right to you doesn't say much.

Saul Good
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
But what worries me is the missed tackle in the box, where he was going for the kill shot and lowered his head and whiffed.

Yep. That's his MO. We had a guy like that named Bernard Pollard. The difference is that Pollard actually made plays every now and again.

Mecca
02-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Without Mays I'm not sure Kevin Ellison would have had much of a career at SC, he got to play rover while Mays covered the middle alone.

Here's something you need to be aware of with Mays, he showed just by doing what Nolan told him to do that he is very coachable and simply does what the coaches ask of him.

And Mays is nothing like Pollard, I'm sorry that's a horrible comparison.

Chiefnj2
02-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Last year NJ loved saying Maualuga sucked and was overhyped repeatedly, we see how that worked out.

Which is why I was the only poster on this board who said Clay Matthews was worth a top 20 pick? I liked Matthews the most of the USC linebackers. He would have been a great addition to KCs 34. People on this board were talking about Maualuga as a top 10 pick. NFL teams agreed with me and he was a 2nd rounder. Did he play well? Yes, but so did Laurinaitis who many people, like you, said was just a pile jumper.

Seriously, my thoughts on players have nothing to do with you. I don't care about you. I think you're a fake and phony who copies most your 'insight' from Scott Wright and a few others.

BossChief
02-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Without Mays I'm not sure Kevin Ellison would have had much of a career at SC, he got to play rover while Mays covered the middle alone.

Here's something you need to be aware of with Mays, he showed just by doing what Nolan told him to do that he is very coachable and simply does what the coaches ask of him.

And Mays is nothing like Pollard, I'm sorry that's a horrible comparison.

in line with how he doesnt wrap up and goes for the kill shot, he is very much like Pollard. He showed that again in the first quarter when he missed two tackles by not wrapping up and Mayock even said it was a thing bad teammates do. He is much faster, but the way he plays as an intimidator, Mays plays like a much faster Pollard.

Selling that int as some great play is very foolish, Pollard would have made that pick. The ball was thrown right into the deep middle with total disregard as to what coverage was ran.

Mays is a very fast Pollard in many ways.

BTW Pollard had 4 ints on the year and 7 passes defended, most of them against one of the best qbs OAT

Sfeihc
02-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Mecca, I agree with your take on Mays. My questions is, after teams work him out and meet with him could he be in play at 5 because Seattle @ 6 would make some sense? I know Seattle has major needs like a QBOTF and a LT but with PC as franchise czar who knows?

bowener
02-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Mecca, I agree with your take on Mays. My questions is after teams work him out and meet with him could he be in play at 5 because Seattle @ 6 would make some sense. I know Seattle has major needs like a QBOTF and a LT but with PC as franchise czar who knows?

I know less than Mecca on Mays, but from what I have seen and read about the guy is that once any team interviews him and watches him workout they are going to fall in love with him. I do not think it is out of the question that he could go in the top 10 still. I would be elated if the Chiefs got Berry or Mays, and as Mecca pointed out, Mays does what he is asked, which if the Chiefs feel he is able to do what they want, I do not see it as a reach at 5 for him. It will be tough for any team to ignore his physical abilities and stats, and once word of mouth spreads around the coaching circles that he is bright and easy to coach (PC has said this many times before) he will jump back into the conversation as a top 10 pick (especially with some players falling, hopefully all LT prospects that were projected to us... as well as Bradford as a viable top 10 QB).

Chiefnj2
02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Graham would be a better pick at 5 than Mays.

BigChiefFan
02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Hello, the contention was, he was worthy of our top 5 pick. Picking him with the 5th overall pick would be insane.

Mecca
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Seattle has 2 first round picks in the top 20 so odds are he'll end up there.

Also for a guy that had 5 INT's in his college career and everyone questioning if he could get any coming up with one in the senior bowl is a big deal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2010, 05:22 PM
You know what the bullshit is?

Derrick Johnson is a tremendous physical talent who doesn't take coaching, and people bitch about him lacking discipline all the time.

Taylor Mays is a tremendous physical talent, does what he's told in the scheme, and people bitch about him only doing what he's asked.

:facepalm:

RustShack
02-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Graham would be a better pick at 5 than Mays.

JFC

RustShack
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Mays is like the USC Linebackers while Berry is like Curry. Same situation.

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Mays is like the USC Linebackers while Berry is like Curry. Same situation.

No Berry blows Curry out of the water as a prospect. Not even close to the same situation.

RustShack
02-01-2010, 07:27 PM
No Berry blows Curry out of the water as a prospect. Not even close to the same situation.

And if Curry were in this years draft and Berry in last years everyone would be saying Curry blows him away.

DeezNutz
02-01-2010, 07:41 PM
And if Curry were in this years draft and Berry in last years everyone would be saying Curry blows him away.

Who?

Dude, the same people who were voicing the opinion that Curry was over-hyped the loudest are almost the same people saying that Berry is a ricockulous prospect.

This isn't some blind, random bullshit. Berry is a sick fucking pro prospect.

And McClain is solid but not elite.

RustShack
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Mays will be a better Safety than Berry.

DeezNutz
02-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Mays will be a better Safety than Berry.

It's possible. The latter is a better prospect, but the former is extremely gifted.

Titty Meat
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Who?

Dude, the same people who were voicing the opinion that Curry was over-hyped the loudest are almost the same people saying that Berry is a ricockulous prospect.

This isn't some blind, random bullshit. Berry is a sick ****ing pro prospect.

And McClain is solid but not elite.

Terrence Cody is better than Berry.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Actually, McClain is slowly becoming Curry on this board.

If you are savvy when drafting LBs, you can get 90% of the production of really good prospects later in the draft.

LBs are like RBs: They are easy to find, and it's easy for them to step in and make a quick impact.

For me, I'd much rather wait until the middle rounds and take a Micah Johnson than take a McClain w/ a first rounder.

You aren't going to find an impact player like Mays, Berry, etc. in the middle rounds at safety as easily as you'll find an impact LB in those same rounds.

philfree
02-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Didn't the senior bowl show that he does what he's asked to do?

At SC he played deep middle and punished guys, at the senior bowl Mike Nolan was talking to him about playing the ball and baiting a QB and what do you know, he does it and gets a pick.

I feel confident in saying that Mays will be a MUCH better pro than collegian, and could still end up being a top 10 pick.

It just goes to show that you can be used in a way that diminishes some of what you can do.

May's stock seems to have gone down during Sr Bowl week everywhere except Chiefs Planet. Huh....

PhilFree:arrow:

Blick
02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Actually, McClain is slowly becoming Curry on this board.

If you are savvy when drafting LBs, you can get 90% of the production of really good prospects later in the draft.

LBs are like RBs: They are easy to find, and it's easy for them to step in and make a quick impact.

For me, I'd much rather wait until the middle rounds and take a Micah Johnson than take a McClain w/ a first rounder.

You aren't going to find an impact player like Mays, Berry, etc. in the middle rounds at safety as easily as you'll find an impact LB in those same rounds.

Where are these impact LB's in the middle rounds in previous years? I don't see any LB's that are on the level of middle round drafted safeties like Kerry Rhodes or Adrian Wilson. Edit: Lance Briggs, maybe.

I also disagree that LB's are like RB's. I agree that LB is one of the positions on defense that is easier to come in and make an impact right away. But, you can't find impact LB's past the top 3 rounds as easily as you can RB's...and it's not even close.

For me, Mays' performance in the Senior Bowl doesn't erase an entire college career of not doing anything. Talk about the scheme and what he was asked to do all you want, but a guy with that kind of athleticism at the college level should be making more plays...bottom line.

OnTheWarpath15
02-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I also disagree that LB's are like RB's. I agree that LB is one of the positions on defense that is easier to come in and make an impact right away. But, you can't find impact LB's past the top 3 rounds as easily as you can RB's...and it's not even close.

Impact like Ray Lewis? No, that's unlikely.

But a damn solid player?

You bet.

Danelle Ellerbe, UDFA
Antwan Barnes, R4
Clint Session, R4
DeMeco Ryans, R2
Freddie Keiaho, R3
Kirk Morrison, R3
Trent Cole, R5
Michael Boley, R5
Lance Briggs, R3
Cato June, R6

Just to name a few.

Blick
02-02-2010, 05:10 PM

But a damn solid player?

You bet.

Danelle Ellerbe, UDFA
Antwan Barnes, R4
Clint Session, R4
DeMeco Ryans, R2
Freddie Keiaho, R3
Kirk Morrison, R3
Trent Cole, R5
Michael Boley, R5
Lance Briggs, R3
Cato June, R6

Just to name a few.

You just made my argument for me. Plus, a lot of those guys are outside LB's.

OnTheWarpath15
02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
You just made my argument for me. Plus, a lot of those guys are outside LB's.

Who the fuck expects to get a player like Ray Lewis in the 4th fucking round?

DeezNutz
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Terrence Cody is better than Berry.

Thank you, Scott.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Where are these impact LB's in the middle rounds in previous years? I don't see any LB's that are on the level of middle round drafted safeties like Kerry Rhodes or Adrian Wilson. Edit: Lance Briggs, maybe.

For me, Mays' performance in the Senior Bowl doesn't erase an entire college career of not doing anything. Talk about the scheme and what he was asked to do all you want, but a guy with that kind of athleticism at the college level should be making more plays...bottom line.

I didn't say "impact player". I said they can make an impact quickly. The words impact may be in both phrases, but they do not carry the same meaning.

An example: The last three years in the draft, Mecca and I both complained that the Chiefs used their late round picks on guys like Jake O'Connell, Mike Merritt, etc.

Had they taken the LBs we wanted, we'd have a LB corps with Wesley Woodyard, Dannell Ellerbe, and Brandon Siler.

Pro Bowlers? No. But they are all damned solid players and will give you a huge chunk of what McClain could give you at five.

This happens every year.

Want some better examples:

London Fletcher: UDFA
Antonio Pierce: UDFA
Stewart Bradley: Late Round 3
Larry Foote: Very end of Round 4

MLB is the easiest position to find on the defense.

Saccopoo
02-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Who the **** expects to get a player like Ray Lewis in the 4th ****ing round?

I'd have figured you would.

You think you can get Pro Bowl offensive linemen then, so why not linebackers?

OnTheWarpath15
02-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I'd have figured you would.

You think you can get Pro Bowl offensive linemen then, so why not linebackers?

Find one post where I've said anything resembling that.

I have said, however, that you can get solid OL in the later part of the draft, just like you can LB's. And FWIW, you can find PB linemen, but you shouldn't expect it to happen regularly.

Hamas just added to my list of LB's.

As far as OL are concerned, here you go:

John Sullivan, R6
Jason Spitz, R3
Jason Brown, R4
Scott Mruczkowski, R7
Nick Hardwick, R3
Scott Wells, R7
Dan Koppen, R5
Ben Hamilton, R4
Chris Kuper, R5
Nick Kaczur, R3
Chris Kemoeatu, R6
Sean Locklear, R3
Jacob Bell, R5
David Diehl, R5

Again, just to name a few.

Mecca
02-02-2010, 06:11 PM
RB's, LB's and OL, if you can't find starters there after the 3rd round your franchise is destined to fail, you will never have an entire team of 1st thru 3rd round picks.

Saccopoo
02-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Find one post where I've said anything resembling that.

I have said, however, that you can get solid OL in the later part of the draft, just like you can LB's. And FWIW, you can find PB linemen, but you shouldn't expect it to happen regularly.

I was just giving you a little crap. I know that there are diamonds in the rough on every team, at every position. And you can find solid players at every position later in the draft. The point I'm trying to make with this Okung thing is that after Suh, Berry and Gresham (and yes, he is "elite", or at least he was before the injury), I don't think it matters who the Chiefs take, whether it be Okung (LT or RT), McClain or whathaveyou. To take Okung is no different than taking McClain, and I wanted to point out that it might be more pertinent or relevant of a pick in that he plays a position of greater relevance anyway, even if that position is RT.

People can scream and holler all they want about "you can get a RT later in the draft" but that can be applied to any and all positions - as you and Hamas are in the process of showing.

Now, you simply might think that a certain player is overrated (or dislike anyone and everyone because they played in a particular conference like a lot of people around here do with the Big 12 for whatever oddball reason), and that's fine, but to disparage a guy because he plays RT, G, C and then say it's okay to pick a 3-4 MLB with a top five doesn't make much sense. At least to me anyway.

DeezNutz
02-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Finding talented players later in the draft should be easier for the Chiefs because we're being directed by the four-time NFL Executive of the Year.

OnTheWarpath15
02-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Finding talented players later in the draft should be easier for the Chiefs because we're being directed by the four-time NFL Executive of the Year.

LMAO

WildTurkey
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM

But a damn solid player?

You bet.

Danelle Ellerbe, UDFA
Antwan Barnes, R4
Clint Session, R4
DeMeco Ryans, R2
Freddie Keiaho, R3
Kirk Morrison, R3
Trent Cole, R5
Michael Boley, R5
Lance Briggs, R3
Cato June, R6

Just to name a few.

anytime you can get a leader of the middle of you're defense with a second rounder you're doing well... Ryans is a hell of a LBer who gets no attention because he plays in Houston

RustShack
02-02-2010, 11:05 PM

And with the help of Dick Haley.

WildTurkey
02-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree with the OP in that Mays will be a much better pro than collegiate... I think his talents will be used better in an NFL defense especially with those measurables

DeezNutz
02-02-2010, 11:13 PM
LMAO

And with the help of Dick Haley.

Yes and yes.

No shit. We've paid for a high-performance car. Now let's see it in action.

No fucking excuses. I'm expecting a home run this April.

If we're all scratching our heads after the draft, thinking it sucked, we all better be proven dead fucking wrong come this fall. It's no longer an "evaluation year."