02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Am I drafting as myself or as Pioli?

Dayze
02-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Clausen or McClain.

hmm.

DJ's left nut
02-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Bradford or Clausen; I'd have to look at Bradford's shoulder and a little more tape.

Lean Bradford.

BigCatDaddy
02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Dan Williams

Chiefnj2
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Who is the best player left at their position:

T- Williams or Davis.
WR - Dez "White"
C - Pouncey
G- Iupati
QB - Bradford or Clausen
HB - Dwyer
Jack of All trades - Spiller
ILB - McClain
NT - Cody or Williams
OLB/Pass Rush - Graham
S - Earl Thomas
CB - Haden
TE - Gresham

That's who you are choosing from.

ModSocks
The Chiefs will Take McClain, but lobby hard to trade down.

I would take......That's a hard one...Clausen....McClain....Bryant....Hrmmmm

Clausen.

RedThat
Here is the scenario:

Round 1

St. Louis (1-15) - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

Detroit (2-14) - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

Tampa Bay (3-13) - Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

Washington (4-12) - Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

Kansas City (4-12) -

Who do the Chiefs take?

In this scenario, I would go with rolando mcclain.

The Franchise
02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I would go with Clausen....but Pioli will probably go with McClain.

Blindside58
02-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Look at all of the Mock Draft Boards available and get a consensus of typical players to be chosen between picks 15-25 and find the player with the following description description under Pros: Has a great motor, High Energy and a passion for the game...and under Cons: Hasn't acheived full potential and lacks great size,speed and strength. That is who we will probably take!

Brock
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Best OL available /dumbbells

Taco John
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't think there is any way Pioli is going to draft a QB here. That would be an incredible move.

suds79
Well assuming we couldn't trade down (that would be the hope), I'd say McClain.

Then hope Cody falls to the 2nd. Nab him. Pick up a WR or interior O-line with the other 2nd.

That'd be my vote.

Micjones
McClain.

The Bad Guy
02-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I would probably take McClain, but that would pretty much be a nightmare scenario for me. If the Rams take a QB at 1, that virtually guarantees that Berry is there at 5.

Rams- Claussen
Lions- Suh
Bucs - McCoy
Redskins - Okung.

Taco John
02-01-2010, 12:42 PM
What? Nobody picking Tebow?

Micjones
I would probably take McClain, but that would pretty much be a nightmare scenario for me. If the Rams take a QB at 1, that virtually guarantees that Berry is there at 5.

Rams- Claussen
Lions- Suh
Bucs - McCoy
Redskins - Okung.

Don't think Tampa Bay would have any interest in Berry?

BigChiefFan
Bradford, Bryant, or McClain.

The Bad Guy
02-01-2010, 12:43 PM

I think they'd have far more interest in a penetrating DT than a safety at 3.

The Franchise
02-01-2010, 12:44 PM

I do. If Suh and McCoy go #1 and #2.....the Bucs are taking Berry. And I honestly think that if it comes down to McCoy and Berry.....that the Bucs might lean towards Berry as well.

Fat Elvis
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
If Clausen is there, Weis will lobby for him very hard.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Put me on the Dez Bryant bandwagon...

The gurus were bashing Crabtree last year and didn't have many nice things to say about Maclin or Harvin...

I am not trying to bash anyone here either...out of all the "gurus" I really only take Mecca's opinion as educated but he was really into Heyward-Bey last year (albeit as a late 1st) and he was the worst one of the bunch...

Therefore I'm not buying this spread offense crap with receivers...

We need a playmaker...scouts compare him to Andre Johnson...sign me up.

Micjones
02-01-2010, 12:50 PM

The gurus were bashing Crabtree last year and didn't have many nice things to say about Maclin or Harvin...

I am not trying to bash anyone here either...out of all the "gurus" I really only take Mecca's opinion as educated but he was really into Heyward-Bey last year (albeit as a late 1st) and he was the worst one of the bunch...

We can get Benn or Tate in Round 2.
I just don't think we can go there with the #1.

It's Clausen, McClain or Berry.
Those are the only 3 picks we can make in my mind.

The Bad Guy
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
If Clausen is there, Weis will lobby for him very hard.

Yes, he will. Big time.

He loves Claussen. By then, he should know what he needs to about Cassel and the potential for his long-term success.

Weis has no aspirations of ever being a head coach again. He is going to be our offensive coordinator for as long as Haley is here - if not longer.

If Claussen is sitting there at 5, I think Charlie will be beating the drum.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Berry is my 1a.

I was talking about the scenario presented by Taco John...

I'd rather pass on Bradford and Clausen on the 1st wave...but if one falls a la Aaron Rodgers 2005...sign me up for trading our 2 2nd's for that mid 1st that it would take...

I'm not against hedging our Cassel bet...QB is only the most important position on the field...

Molitoth
02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
The Chiefs are not giving up on Cassel after 1 year, sorry.

Micjones
02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
The Chiefs are not giving up on Cassel after 1 year, sorry.

If they draft Clausen they wouldn't necessarily have to.
He could sit for a year.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
nothing wrong with hedging your bet...

a QB taken after pick 20 is like paying for a decent backup anyways...

Aaron Rodgers is one of the best draft picks I can remember...he was a low priced hedge bet for Brett Favre for three years...then Favre "retires" and all of the sudden the Packers have a new franchise QB after having one for 17 straight years!

Must be nice...

DaWolf
02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
They have way too many holes to draft Clausen with a top 5 pick and let him sit, and also in essence tell your current QB that he's out after 2010. No way you tie up that much money in two QB's considering the situation they're in...

Micjones
02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
nothing wrong with hedging your bet...

a QB taken after pick 20 is like paying for a decent backup anyways...

Aaron Rodgers is one of the best draft picks I can remember...he was a low priced hedge bet for Brett Favre for three years...then Favre "retires" and all of the sudden the Packers have a new franchise QB after having one for 17 straight years!

Must be nice...

How far would he have to slide for you to consider making phonecalls and packaging those two #2's?

Hootie
02-01-2010, 01:03 PM
#17 is worth 950 and our two 2nds are worth 940 on the draft pick value chart...

So that's my answer.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
With our first three picks if we ended up with Clausen/Berry, Bradford/Berry, Clausen/Bryant or Bradford/Bryant I'd be thrilled.

I know McClain is a badass and all but I think you can find LB's all over the draft...I'd rather get a franchise QB and Andre Johnson potential...especially since we have the perfect team for a QB this year...could sit a year and let the whole NFL thing "sink" in while Cassel tries to bounce back...

Worst case scenario is we have a good situation on our hands either way.

DumbHillbillies
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
McClain

Hootie
02-01-2010, 01:08 PM
of course the more I think of it Clausen at #5 would just make a hell of a lot of sense considering Weis just spent 3 years with him...if Weis sells to Pioli that Clausen can be our "Brady"...that might be enough for Pioli to swallow his pride and admit defeat in the Cassel signing (something Carl would never do)...

and in all honesty...if Clausen were to become a true franchise caliber QB...maybe Cassel was a blessing in disguise...we could start comparing Clausen to Sanchez rather than Cassel =)

The Franchise
02-01-2010, 01:08 PM
With our first three picks if we ended up with Clausen/Berry, Bradford/Berry, Clausen/Bryant or Bradford/Bryant I'd be thrilled.

I know McClain is a badass and all but I think you can find LB's all over the draft...I'd rather get a franchise QB and Andre Johnson potential...especially since we have the perfect team for a QB this year...could sit a year and let the whole NFL thing "sink" in while Cassel tries to bounce back...

Worst case scenario is we have a good situation on our hands either way.

Clausen and Berry would make me JIMP.

CoMoChief
02-01-2010, 01:09 PM
If Berry isn't there and we can't trade down, I'd take Claussen. Keep Cassel around and let Claussen ride the pine and learn for 4 yrs like Aaron Rodgers did in GB. Then you trade Cassel to a team that needs a QB. Cassel by that time will have enough QB exp in the NFL and could have a high trade value if he does well.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 01:09 PM
It's a pipe dream but in February we're allowed to have one on occasion...

Hootie
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
If Berry isn't there and we can't trade down, I'd take Claussen. Keep Cassel around and let Claussen ride the pine and learn for 4 yrs like Aaron Rodgers did in GB. Then you trade Cassel to a team that needs a QB. Cassel by that time will have enough QB exp in the NFL and could have a high trade value if he does well.

Uhm...

I'd say 1 year...TWO years max and that's if Cassel plays pro bowl caliber football a la Drew Brees.

Four years?

That's just insane. That can only happen if you take Clausen around pick #20 rather than pick #5...you can't keep $30M guaranteed on the bench for 4 years...

Reaper16
02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Pioli is probably going to take McClain no matter what, even if Berry is available. If it were me as GM in this scenario I'd take Clausen.

HemiEd
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes, he will. Big time.

He loves Claussen. By then, he should know what he needs to about Cassel and the potential for his long-term success.

Weis has no aspirations of ever being a head coach again. He is going to be our offensive coordinator for as long as Haley is here - if not longer.

I sure hope so.

Coogs
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
A quick questiom. Who is The Meat Dragon?

The Franchise
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
A quick questiom. Who is The Meat Dragon?

Hootie
BabygotGrbac

DJ's left nut
02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Uhm...

I'd say 1 year...TWO years max and that's if Cassel plays pro bowl caliber football a la Drew Brees.

Four years?

That's just insane. That can only happen if you take Clausen around pick #20 rather than pick #5...you can't keep $30M guaranteed on the bench for 4 years...

No kidding; his rookie contract would damn near be up before you know what you have.

2010 - spends 8 weeks as third string, finishes the season as primary backup.
2011 - starts season as backup, by week 10 he takes the reigns as starter so we can mercifully end the Cassel disaster in the offseason.

2012 and beyond - actual NFL quarterback under center; much rejoicing.

Coogs
02-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Hootie
BabygotGrbac

:thumb: Thanks

chiefscafan
02-01-2010, 01:38 PM
If that's the scenario the phone would be ringing off the hook for a team wanting to draft a qb. I mean Cleveland, buffalo, SF, Minnesota, etc. They all would want to get a head of Seattle.

I would trade down if not I feel McClain is the pick he could be our leader on D. Then hope one of the three Cody, Williams, or troupe falls to our other picks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2010, 01:39 PM

I wanted us to take Maclin with our third if we didn't draft a quarterback, dumbass.

kepp
02-01-2010, 01:48 PM
We can get Benn or Tate in Round 2.
I just don't think we can go there with the #1.

Give me Benn with one of our R2s and I'm happy.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I wanted us to take Maclin with our third if we didn't draft a quarterback, dumbass.

link?

Just curious. Never saw that.

carlos3652
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Dream scenario if berry is gone.... Trade down picking up an extra 2nd next year or 3rd this year... Picking up McClain in the first, Cody with 2a and if he is gone... Trading either 2nd to get wilfork.... Then pick up bpa with the rest... I want our draft picks to be mostly defense though other than the C and the WR picks in rd 3 through 5
Posted via Mobile Device

The Poz
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
If that's the scenario the phone would be ringing off the hook for a team wanting to draft a qb. I mean Cleveland, buffalo, SF, Minnesota, etc. They all would want to get a head of Seattle.

I would trade down if not I feel McClain is the pick he could be our leader on D. Then hope one of the three Cody, Williams, or troupe falls to our other picks.

I agree. Similar to 2 years ago when Dorsey fell in our lap. The phone will be ringing for either Bradford or Clausen. Seattle will go after one of those two since they have 2 in the first right after KC.

chiefscafan
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
tHanks the poz

Seattle has two picks one of those is gonna be a qb.

Trade down and hope our pick is good enough to get mclain I'm not in favor of drafting another left tackle with our first. Albert is just starting to get it

Nightfyre
02-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Yea, this is an obvious trade down scenario. Trade down, get a second, draft either mays or mcclain in the first round. Then we have a book full of options with three second rounders.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2010, 02:11 PM
link?

Just curious. Never saw that.

4/24/2009

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...2&postcount=24 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5700432&postcount=24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5700432#post5700432)
If we are really going batshit at 3, Maclin makes more sense than Crabtree, a LT, or Curry. He gives you the vertical threat next to Bowe, and he's going to be an All-Pro KR.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Wish we would have taken Maclin/Harvin or Crabtree...

The Bad Guy
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
We couldn't have gone wrong with any of those 3. I really like Crabtree's long-term potential. The guy didn't have a TC, but came in and made a big, big impact.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Wish we would have taken Maclin/Harvin or Crabtree...

You could literally insert the name of about 50 players in that post and it would still be just as true.

BigCatDaddy
02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I can live with McClain. I would like to see us go in and just solidify the middle of the defense. Take McClain, then pkg 2 of the 3 2nd and third round picks and get Dan Williams, then use the other pick on another LB or safety.

We have so many freaking holes, we can atleast try to be solid at some place on the team.

The Poz
02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
tHanks the poz

Seattle has two picks one of those is gonna be a qb.

Trade down and hope our pick is good enough to get mclain I'm not in favor of drafting another left tackle with our first. Albert is just starting to get it

Yep,
If Buff doesn't go for Vick, Favre finally retires or if teams like 'zona, browns, 'phins, panthers or san fran can realize they don't have a legit QB. Any of them are possibilities.
Imagine trading out of #5 spot and ending up with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

OnTheWarpath15
02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Look at all of the Mock Draft Boards available and get a consensus of typical players to be chosen between picks 15-25 and find the player with the following description description under Pros: Has a great motor, High Energy and a passion for the game...and under Cons: Hasn't acheived full potential and lacks great size,speed and strength. That is who we will probably take!

The 10th post closes the thread.

DeezNutz
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM

3/07/09:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5563714&highlight=Maclin#post5563714

I didn't think Maclin was the "smart" pick, necessarily, but he was my #3 after Sanchez and then Raji.

And, sadly, Curry would have been a better selection than Jackson.

BossChief
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
This is a good year to be towards the top of a great draft class.

My dream scenario is to fall back to 8 or 9 and add a second and still get McClain.

As for the OP, If we are stuck there, I would still take McClain. You get nowhere without a good defensive leader and he would be a great one for ten years to build around.

I like the thought of what kind of impact he could have on DJ as well, as that could have much added value. DJ and Rolando as our MLBs would be a good combination. If he could help with preparation and cover up for him at times so can freelance and make plays, that could be a huge addition for us.

DeezNutz
02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
hmm...I don't think this is a great draft class.

But, just like any other year, a team can get good value in the top part of the draft. You just have to be smart.

All of this applied to last year, too.

Chiefnj2
02-01-2010, 02:52 PM
After Suh, McCoy and Berry, it's pretty much a crapshoot from the 4 to 15 spot. They all seem to be equally rated Haden is a good corner prospect, but he's not Revis; McClain is a good ILB prospect, but he's not Willis; Dez is a good WR prospect, but he's not Johnson, etc.

BigMeatballDave
02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
That scenario? Without a trade partner, I'd be OK with just about anything other than OL.

Icon
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Who's the highest rated LSU Tiger? :D

chiefscafan
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
pRobably rb or safety from lsu

YayMike
02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
We give Buffalo #5 = 1700

Buffalo gives us #9 & their 3rd rounder at #72 = 1,350 + 230 = 1,580.

With #9 we could draft McClain or Bryant... plus add a 3rd rounder...

Not that it's going to happen, but i would love that.

ChiefHusker
02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I would take McClain. He has been playing the middle of the 3-4 in Alabama and looks like a sure tackler. Trading down would be ideal, but it is rare.

the Talking Can
02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
my pick: Clausen

fantasy: trade down

Chiefs pick: McClain (but this is starting to seem to consensus-y, i'm sure another name will appear shortly before the draft)

the Talking Can
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
After Suh, McCoy and Berry, it's pretty much a crapshoot from the 4 to 15 spot. They all seem to be equally rated Haden is a good corner prospect, but he's not Revis; McClain is a good ILB prospect, but he's not Willis; Dez is a good WR prospect, but he's not Johnson, etc.

true

which is why a player like Mays or spiller should ideally be considered...

the Talking Can
02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
We give Buffalo #5 = 1700

Buffalo gives us #9 & their 3rd rounder at #72 = 1,350 + 230 = 1,580.

With #9 we could draft McClain or Bryant... plus add a 3rd rounder...

Not that it's going to happen, but i would love that.

why would you love getting screwed in a trade?

DeezNutz
02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Williams is who is going to creep. Right now, Walters has him at #20.

It wouldn't shock me if he were to end up being our man.

Chiefnj2
02-01-2010, 03:50 PM
true

which is why a player like Mays or spiller should ideally be considered...

If you have them ranked in your top 15 then they would be part of your analysis.

RedThat
02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes, he will. Big time.

Hey I'd be for that. I think Clausen is an outstanding talent and Id love to see competition out of the qb position. The only thing that concerns me, and Im trying to view this from a sensible perspective, is Kansas City realistically going to tie up another fat contact into another quarterback?

CoMoChief
02-01-2010, 05:15 PM
IMO all of these teams could use QB help if Bradford/Clausen is available at our pick.

CHIEFS 5 - 1700

PICK# Pts Value
CLE 7 - 1500
BUF 9 - 1350
JAX 10 - 1300
MIA 12 - 1200
SF 13 - 1150
SF 17 - 950
ARZ 26 - 700
MIN 30 - 620

Mecca
02-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I'd take a QB, the Chiefs would take McClain.

CoMoChief
02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I'd pick Berry if he's there.

If he's not there, It'd be extremely hard not to pick up Clausen.

the Talking Can
02-01-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd pick Berry if he's there.

If he's not there, It'd be extremely hard not to pick up Clausen.

you didn't read the thread

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I would pick Clausen, even though I think he is going to St. Louie. McClain would be #2 in that scenario and I wouldn't go crazy if they pick him.

DeezNutz
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I would pick Clausen, even though I think he is going to St. Louie. McClain would be #2 in that scenario and I wouldn't go crazy if they pick him.

What are your thoughts on Spiller, CC? With KC in mind, of course.

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
What are your thoughts on Spiller, CC? With KC in mind, of course.

He will be how Reggie Bush was in the playoff game but full time, not half assing it like Bush IMO. I like him alot, of course I was high on his partner James Davis a year ago.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Clausen or McClain.

hmm.

This.

Coogs
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey I'd be for that. I think Clausen is an outstanding talent and Id love to see competition out of the qb position. The only thing that concerns me, and Im trying to view this from a sensible perspective, is Kansas City realistically going to tie up another fat contact into another quarterback?

Only 28 million was guaranteed. And Cassel is due to receive a healthy roster type bonus next March (or somewhere around March). From what I understand, Cassel could be let go after this season, and we wouldn't be out all that much in all reality.

Sfeihc
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
McClain, Mays, Graham in that order. Each would fill a huge hole in the defense and be a good to Pro Bowl level player for the Chiefs.

Taco John
02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
There's a lot of delusional Chiefs fans who apparently think Pioli is going to admit a mistake and draft a quarterback in round one. I wince every time I see someone in this thread mention Clausen. Folks are just setting themselves up for heartbreak.

Red Dawg
02-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Percy Snow. He's NFL ready.

seaofred
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I think the Chiefs take Dez Bryant at #5 and then take LB Spikes/Weatherspoon at 2A and S Asante at 2B.

Reaper16
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
There's a lot of delusional Chiefs fans who apparently think Pioli is going to admit a mistake and draft a quarterback in round one. I wince every time I see someone in this thread mention Clausen. Folks are just setting themselves up for heartbreak.
Everyone who has said Clausen was saying that is what they would do, not Scott Pioli. You dope.

Taco John
02-01-2010, 09:51 PM
In fairness, the question was "who would the Chiefs take."

You dope. :)

Taco John
02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I think the Chiefs take Dez Bryant at #5 and then take LB Spikes/Weatherspoon at 2A and S Asante at 2B.

I hope that you take Dez Bryant there so that we don't get any ideas on taking him.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I'd be ok with just about anyone other than a LT.

Hootie
02-01-2010, 10:07 PM
(or a DL, of course)

Mecca
02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Brandon Spikes is going to be a guy who people start to question why he's falling...his 40 is going to be really poor.

Saccopoo
02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Anthony Davis, LT; Rutgers

While some people here are utterly delusional (Chiefs taking a qb), I'm assuming that the front office isn't, and that they have watched game film. If they have, Davis is the pick.

Mecca
02-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Well you'll be thrilled when they take McClain then.

salame
02-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Brandon Spikes is going to be a guy who people start to question why he's falling...his 40 is going to be really poor.

do you think he could be like ray lewis?

Mecca
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
do you think he could be like ray lewis?

No not really, Spikes is destined to be a 3-4 thumper at the next level.

We're talking about a guy who may not break 4.8 when he runs.

Saccopoo
02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Well you'll be thrilled when they take McClain then.

I wouldn't mind it. I'd rather have Spikes in the second, as I think he brings a bit more intensity, nastiness and threads the gaps better than McClain, but I wouldn't complain about him if he were picked.

Personally, I'd like to see the Chiefs trade down a couple of times, pick up a 2nd, 3rd and 4th and take Jermaine Gresham at the 18th through 22nd pick, but that's just me. When you can get an elite level player at that spot in the draft, I'm okay with that. (And I think that Suh, Berry and Gresham are the three truly "elite" players in this draft. Lots of really, really good players as well, but these three are the top. Gresham is substantially better than Vernon Davis or Kellen Winslow Jr.)

Mecca
02-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Brandon Spikes may not even go in the 2nd...

Also from a pure prospect standpoint, Vernon Davis is basically the gold standard for TE's.

Saccopoo
02-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Brandon Spikes may not even go in the 2nd...

Also from a pure prospect standpoint, Vernon Davis is basically the gold standard for TE's.

That's why I love the combine. Let's make superstars out of workout warriors!
I am always hoping that the Chiefs will draft the next Kawika Mitchell. (God Bless Carl Peterson.)

I'm not so worried about Spikes timed 40 time. The guy is incredibly instinctive and is at the ball, wherever it may be, ahead of all those other "fast" guys at Florida. And playing the Mike spot in a 3-4 doesn't require an absolute burner anyway. If he's there in the second, I wouldn't hesitate to grab him. I don't know if I'd roll the dice on him being there in the third.

Mecca
02-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Vernon Davis was productive too, he was both.

And it's pretty obvious now that he's put it together and is an absolute monster at the NFL level.

I'm also just saying be a little leery of those SEC LB's that may not be what people think, there have been a few in the past...

salame
02-01-2010, 11:01 PM
No not really, Spikes is destined to be a 3-4 thumper at the next level.

We're talking about a guy who may not break 4.8 when he runs.

I'm confused because I thought Ray Lewis was the perfect 3-4 thumper

jAZ
02-01-2010, 11:02 PM
If Claussen grades out as the highest pick on your board at that point, you take him without question.

salame
02-01-2010, 11:05 PM
If Claussen grades out as the highest pick on your board at that point, you take him without question.

this will never happen man
They might pick up someone late in the draft but Claussen won't be a chief
Maybe we get lucky and he has a HUGE combine and someone wants to move up and get him.

Mecca
02-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm confused because I thought Ray Lewis was the perfect 3-4 thumper

Lewis is shorter and timed in the 4.5's, Spikes can't remotely do that.

Here's how I'll describe Spikes and why he may take a huge nose dive. Look at LSU, annually one of the best Ds in college football, yet recently their LBs have tested very poorly in the 40. Highsmith a few years ago looked like a 4.5 guy on tape, then ran a 4.9 - 5 flat at the combine.
Having decent instincts and being able to flow to the ball close to the LOS can disguise a lack of pure speed.

Spikes is roughly 6'4 which means he has long legs which pretty much assures he will post a pathetic 40, with his legs and weight.

There have been numerous LB's that looked good in games that we thought were fast enough or fast then they couldn't run it in 40's and went undrafted or got drafted super late.

Ali Highsmith went undrafted after people thought he was a 2nd rounder..

I remember a few years back when there were two supposedly fast players from two teams thought to be extremely fast on defense, Earl Everett from Florida and Rufus Alexander... I can't remember what either of these undersized "speedy" LBs ran... but it was far closer to 5.0 than 4.7.. I think they were in the 4.83-4.95 range. Both players went undrafted after being mocked as high as the early 2nd round earlier.

I remember the kid that played next to Ahmad Brooks at UVA, Kai Parham, he was a good player as a thumping MLB, everyone knew he wasn't fast but thought he'd play in the NFL in that role, he posted a 5 flat and didn't get drafted and was never heard from again.

It's something to think about, a LB can take a huge nose dive in the snap of a finger.

salame
02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
so spikes might be like takeo spikes?
well I guess he ran a 4.8

Mecca
02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Takeo Spikes was awesome once, there's a reason he was a top 15 pick...

salame
02-01-2010, 11:13 PM
well who would you compare spikes to?

Mecca
02-01-2010, 11:16 PM
He could be like Spikes is now since he's basically a thumping MLB since he lost all his speed after he blew out his achillies tendon.

All I'm saying with Spikes is he could easily go from being thought of as a borderline 1st rounder to a 5th rounder or even not getting picked, weird shit happens with LB's.

salame
02-01-2010, 11:17 PM
yeah look at mauluga and laurinitis last year

Mecca
02-01-2010, 11:19 PM
How about Dannell Ellerbee not getting picked?

Every year there are LB's everyone had going in the first 3 rounds that fall into the 6th or 7th or don't even get picked.

WildTurkey
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I am hoping against hope that Tampa takes Dez "White" at 3 so Berry falls to us

bigbucks24
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
IMO all of these teams could use QB help if Bradford/Clausen is available at our pick.

CHIEFS 5 - 1700

PICK# Pts Value
CLE 7 - 1500
BUF 9 - 1350
JAX 10 - 1300
MIA 12 - 1200
SF 13 - 1150
SF 17 - 950
ARZ 26 - 700
MIN 30 - 620

You really think Miami is going to trade up in the first round to pick a QB?

salame
02-02-2010, 02:18 AM
I don't think bradford goes really high

Mecca
02-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Bradford is probably going to Washington, if somehow St Louis decides to go QB then we've got 2 QB's in the top 5 most likely.

YayMike
02-02-2010, 07:35 AM
why would you love getting screwed in a trade?

how is that getting screwed? We get the same guy we would have taken at 5 and get an extra 3rd round pick in the process.

the Talking Can
02-02-2010, 07:49 AM
how is that getting screwed? We get the same guy we would have taken at 5 and get an extra 3rd round pick in the process.

you're giving them the pick they want and a 120 point discount....because why?

if they want a QB, they'll pay for it....no reason for us to bend over

YayMike
02-02-2010, 07:58 AM
you're giving them the pick they want and a 120 point discount....because why?

if they want a QB, they'll pay for it....no reason for us to bend over

Let me ask you this, if that was the best offer you had to trade down, or you were forced to keep the #5 pick, what would you do?

Maybe that's not the exact trade but that skeleton is ideal. Maybe they throw in a 3rd next year something to make the points closer to even.

Frosty
02-02-2010, 08:00 AM

Sounds like Brandon Graham

bevischief
02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Who is the best player left at their position:

T- Williams or Davis.
WR - Dez "White"
C - Pouncey
G- Iupati
QB - Bradford or Clausen
HB - Dwyer
Jack of All trades - Spiller
ILB - McClain
NT - Cody or Williams
OLB/Pass Rush - Graham
S - Earl Thomas
CB - Haden
TE - Gresham

That's who you are choosing from.

Any these are upgrades; maybe get a QB desperate team to trade down with…

soundmind
02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
McClain in a heartbeat. That's not even a hard choice.

OnTheWarpath15
02-02-2010, 10:15 AM

We took Tyson fucking Jackson with the 3rd pick last year.

We're way past heartbreak.

Fat Elvis
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
We took Tyson ****ing Jackson with the 3rd pick last year.

We're way past heartbreak.

I'm still pronouncing the "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...." in my WTF exclaimation regarding the Tyson Jackson pick. I really hope I can get the ...cccccckkkkkkkkkk...." pronounced by the upcoming draft. I'd hate to be caught in a cycle of "perma-wtf" due to the Chiefs draft choices year after year.

OnTheWarpath15
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm still pronouncing the "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...." in my WTF exclaimation regarding the Tyson Jackson pick. I really hope I can get the ...cccccckkkkkkkkkk...." pronounced by the upcoming draft. I'd hate to be caught in a cycle of "perma-wtf" due to the Chiefs draft choices year after year.

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
McClain in a heartbeat. That's not even a hard choice.

McClain or Berry both work for us. We can't lose with either IMO.