PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Could ChiefsPlanet become the Chiefs site for Scout/Rivals?

jAZ
02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I have been a long-time poster on GoAZCats.com. It started out as a VBForum for Arizona Wildcat fans. I looked for an found it after having become a regular poster here at CP.

During that time, the owner of the site happened to be partners/friends with the son of a local Tucson sports columnist (Tucson's very boring version of jwhit).

Anyway, after a couple years of developing a following through articles and stories posted for free through the message boards, these two were able to take over the arizona.rivals.com from another less well run site.

I've always wondered whether ChiefsPlanet could position itself to do the same, particularly given the limited appeal that WPI seems to have had over the years.

I know Phil had this idea at one time, and couldn't get Kyle on board, which lead to Phil going to WPI briefly, before his fall out there and Clayton took over that "spot".

The biggest reason for success with GoAZCats transition to a Rivals site was that the owner himself had a great connection with Lute Olsen, Miles Simon and as a result, great connections in the AD's office. He was able to regularly break news that others couldn't touch.

They also had exceptionally high standards. If they reported it, it was true.

If they told you something, you could trust their reporting nearly 100%.

Given that we seem to have at least two regulars who have great sources of Chiefs information. I wonder if ChiefsPlanet might position itself to compete with WPI for the Scout contract. Or if some day Rivals might take on the NFL reporting with it's own network of sites.

Curious what the relevant parties here have to say.

big nasty kcnut
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
No cause first it would kill the fun part of this website and there not alot of people be willing to pay to get insider information.

DaFace
02-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm not really a relevant party, but I doubt it would work very well. For one thing, Scout's forum software sucks balls. For another, a lot of what makes CP great is the lack of moderation, which wouldn't fit in very well with a big corporation's TOS. And that's ignoring the fact that Scout wants to make money, which CP doesn't do very well.

JMO.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-03-2010, 02:32 PM
terrible idea.

Scout and Rivals (and more lately ESPNnet) have killed every KSU site I've been on.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
i don't think they would like alot of the alternative conversations that go on.

no Washington D.C
no Picture forum
no poop threads

the Talking Can
02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
f no

like fuck no x 10000

if want any part of that crap i'd go pay for it

jAZ
02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm not really a relevant party, but I doubt it would work very well. For one thing, Scout's forum software sucks balls. For another, a lot of what makes CP great is the lack of moderation, which wouldn't fit in very well with a big corporation's TOS. And that's ignoring the fact that Scout wants to make money, which CP doesn't do very well.

JMO.

That was a critical issue for GoAZCats at the time. They negotiated that the free forum would stay free, and it is still hosted along side the premium site. And they kept the VB portion.

Basically, if the same were done here you'd get:

www.chiefsplanet.com >> chiefs.Scout/Rivals.com front page
forum.chiefsplanet.com >> this forum

Then the Scout/Rivals premium forums would be hosted using the scout/rivals software and rules.

And GoAZCats has an unmoderated setup nearly identical to CP on the free board. Though they have a lot more sub forums given the range of sports, etc.

Bugeater
02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
i don't think they would like alot of the alternative conversations that go on.

no Washington D.C
no Picture forum
no poop threads
No poop, no deal.

jAZ
02-03-2010, 02:42 PM
To be clear, this forum could remain as is, without change.

In fact, the people on the free board at forum.GoAZCats.com mostly don't notice or talk about the Premium board. Those with Premium memberships frequent both boards.

The premium board is MUCH more heavily moderated and I expect the same would be true, but the nature of the premium board is far different and welcomed by those who sign up.

But the relationship did NOTHING to change the free board, and it's thrived over the years.

It's actually a great setup.

jAZ
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
And that's ignoring the fact that Scout wants to make money, which CP doesn't do very well.

JMO.

With the right people running the content side, it should make money. And given the criticism taken by NA at WPI, I get the impression that there are far more capable people here who could run such a site.

I think the real question is does the NFL support such a news model? Given that scout doesn't have every NFL team and Rivals has no NFL coverage, I suspect that's the real issue to be addressed.

Given that Nick seems to still be in business, I guess it's possible even in KC.

Pants
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Judging by Phog.net, I'm going to go ahead and say "No".

jAZ
02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
The one way that the two message boards over lap (and the area that all but mandates the heavy moderation) is when someone take premium news over to the free board. That happens. And people and posts are deleted, people have been banned.

If the news is leaked to another side and then it ends up on the free board, it's left unmoderated. There is only so much you can do.

chefsos
02-03-2010, 04:49 PM
The one way that the two message boards over lap (and the area that all but mandates the heavy moderation) is when someone take premium news over to the free board. That happens. And people and posts are deleted, people have been banned.

If the news is leaked to another side and then it ends up on the free board, it's left unmoderated. There is only so much you can do.Wow. This place would erupt into civil war.

MOhillbilly
02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Wow. This place would erupt into civil war.

his inner woman writes this stuff.

He openly wears capris.

Reerun_KC
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Not only fuck no, but what a fucking stupid moronic Idea...

HELL freaking no!

Hammock Parties
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I know Phil had this idea at one time, and couldn't get Kyle on board, which lead to Phil going to WPI briefly, before his fall out there and Clayton took over that "spot".

You don't even know what the hell you're talking about. Stay in DC.

Anyway, how many times has Kyle tried to set up some sort of writing project at Chiefsplanet only to see it tank? It's not happening.

Nightfyre
02-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Anyway, how many times has Kyle tried to set up some sort of writing project at Chiefsplanet only to see it tank? It's not happening.

How many times has wpi tried to set up some sort of writing thing just to see it tank and/or their press credentials yanked?
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
02-03-2010, 05:21 PM
To be clear, this forum could remain as is, without change.

In fact, the people on the free board at forum.GoAZCats.com mostly don't notice or talk about the Premium board. Those with Premium memberships frequent both boards.

The premium board is MUCH more heavily moderated and I expect the same would be true, but the nature of the premium board is far different and welcomed by those who sign up.

But the relationship did NOTHING to change the free board, and it's thrived over the years.

It's actually a great setup.

There is no way that GoAZ is as freewheeling as this site. If corporate ownership took place, a slow, incremental changing of the guard would take place. And people here would leave.

"Premium" boards. I can't believe people actually pay 10.00 a month to hear a board full of Maude Towne's ask: "What channel is the game on tonight"?

the Talking Can
02-03-2010, 05:24 PM

If the news is leaked to another side and then it ends up on the free board, it's left unmoderated. There is only so much you can do.

what in god's name makes you think this board wants any part of that?

Iowanian
02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
This would be a great way to boost my work productivity.

BigRedChief
02-03-2010, 05:35 PM

JMO.I agree. You get corporate involved, things would change dramatiically. And not in a good way. The way this board is moderated is one big way it seperated itself from the rest of the Chief boards.

jAZ
02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
what in god's name makes you think this board wants any part of that?

I posted that as an acknowledgement of the lone area that would be at issue.

And to be clear, the poster isn't banned from the free boards (ie, here). They are banned from the Premium area. Those who pay for the premium content don't generally have an interest in giving it away for free. So it's a non issue.

No one need be banned from "The Lounge".

Rain Man
02-03-2010, 05:59 PM
his inner woman writes this stuff.

He openly wears capris.

Off topic, but I think capris are not flattering on most women. However, a little part of me is disappointed that there's no equivalent for men, because my calves are one of my best features.

Oh, and I like the board the way it is. I'd prefer not having any bigger organization running the show. Anarchy seems to be a good model.

bevischief
02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
No. We are too cheap we are Chiefs fans...

Halfcan
02-03-2010, 08:47 PM

JMO.

:clap: exactly dead on

Fat Elvis
02-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Posters at ChiefsPlanet actually attend games rather than report from Mom's Musky Loveseat in the Basement.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Posters at ChiefsPlanet actually attend games rather than report from Mom's Musky Loveseat in the Basement.

Do you have a point?

I would love to see Chiefsplanet get off the ground in regards to being a media entity but...hasn't happened. Not even close.

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Do you have a point?

I would love to see Chiefsplanet get off the ground in regards to being a media entity but...hasn't happened. Not even close.In all reality there is no comparison between WPI and ChiefsPlanet. WPI might have had some press credentials, but they have no spice to their board. Most of the time their stories are nothing more than conjecture.

Besides, if anyone wants to see the premium stuff there all they have to do is wait and you eventually post it here. I'm surprised that Athen lets you even post on that site.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Besides, if anyone wants to see the premium stuff there all they have to do is wait and you eventually post it here.

You're fairly ignorant. I never post it here.

Tribal Warfare
02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
REPOST!!!!!!!!!

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 09:41 PM
You're fairly ignorant. I never post it here.

Sure you don't.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Sure you don't.

Why would I?

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Why would I?Because based on common language on this board you are a basement dwelling dweeb.

Once I found out you were part of WPI I stopped visiting the site. Nothing you write can be worth reading based on your performance here.

I don't think this site would go to scout, it would be taking a gigantic step down.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Because based on common language on this board you are a basement dwelling dweeb.

Your logic doesn't make much sense.

I'd share premium stuff here because I'm a basement-dwelling dweeb?

Buck
02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah jAZ, you effin' idiot!

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Your logic doesn't make much sense.

I'd share premium stuff here because I'm a basement-dwelling dweeb?

It's more of your typical full time antics on this board. You don't make much sense. You want to be a respected journalist and you pull some of the most crazy shit I've ever seen on any board. You basically trash around this board and attempt to be respectable on the other, you present a skitzoid personality between the two.

You are a basement-dwelling dweeb because you live in your mothers basement and advertise on the internet for dates. That's just plain nuts.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
It's more of your typical full time antics on this board.

ROFL

Your interpretation of events is rather off.

As is your idea of what I want.

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
ROFL

Your interpretation of events is rather off.

As is your idea of what I want.

I knew you weren't a journalist. Does Athen know that you aren't interested in writing? You are a skitzoid and not much of an example of a likable human being.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I knew you weren't a journalist. Does Athen know that you aren't interested in writing? You are a skitzoid and not much of an example of a likable human being.

How would you know what I am interested in?

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 10:38 PM
How would you know what I am interested in?

You write too much shit with your brain disengaged. Try going back and reading some of the stuff you write, you might be amazed what can be gleaned out of it.

Does Athen read this board? He should to see how his star pupil acts.

Hammock Parties
02-03-2010, 10:40 PM
The fact that you take this shit so seriously says a lot about you.

Taco John
02-03-2010, 10:46 PM
I have been a long-time poster on GoAZCats.com. It started out as a VBForum for Arizona Wildcat fans. I looked for an found it after having become a regular poster here at CP.

During that time, the owner of the site happened to be partners/friends with the son of a local Tucson sports columnist (Tucson's very boring version of jwhit).

Anyway, after a couple years of developing a following through articles and stories posted for free through the message boards, these two were able to take over the arizona.rivals.com from another less well run site.

I've always wondered whether ChiefsPlanet could position itself to do the same, particularly given the limited appeal that WPI seems to have had over the years.

The biggest reason for success with GoAZCats transition to a Rivals site was that the owner himself had a great connection with Lute Olsen, Miles Simon and as a result, great connections in the AD's office. He was able to regularly break news that others couldn't touch.

They also had exceptionally high standards. If they reported it, it was true.

If they told you something, you could trust their reporting nearly 100%.

Given that we seem to have at least two regulars who have great sources of Chiefs information. I wonder if ChiefsPlanet might position itself to compete with WPI for the Scout contract. Or if some day Rivals might take on the NFL reporting with it's own network of sites.

Curious what the relevant parties here have to say.

I sure hope not. That would be a travesty.

Independent sports sites have character, flavor, and some street cred with the fans. That all goes away when you sell out.

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
The fact that you take this shit so seriously says a lot about you.

If I was truly taking this serious I'd be doing what you normally do to people.

It's just too bad to see a life wasted and that seems to be the road you have chosen. I'm retired and have had a full life. good luck with yours.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Gag me with a spoon.