PDA

View Full Version : Life NFT -- Stop acting like Nature Valley Granola Bars are so damned innocent...

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
....Because they're NOT!

http://i49.tinypic.com/11l78k5.jpg

88TG88
02-04-2010, 01:07 AM
oh snap

Johnny Vegas
02-04-2010, 01:54 AM
I think I see Tebow's face in one of the granola bars. So yeah its 100% all natural and innocent.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 01:57 AM
LOL It's a candy bar.

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Silocks been a godsend for all of us, his pointing this out was no exception.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Silocks been a godsend for all of us, his pointing this out was no exception.

Silock helped me gain the knowledge to lose 120lbs in 6 months.

P.S - I've posted this like a dozen times, but you'd be grateful too. Trust me.

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Silock helped me gain the knowledge to lose 120lbs in 6 months.

P.S - I've posted this like a dozen times, but you'd be grateful too. Trust me.

I'm almost entirely dope again, i'd like to take off there>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVK4Vrgphz0

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 02:11 AM
BTW, that's the best music video I've ever seen.

Thig Lyfe
02-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Deep fry that shit.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Rio would be awesome.

MoreLemonPledge
02-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Kashi makes some Honey Almond Flax bars that are decent for you and inexpensive. They taste pretty good, too.

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Kashi makes some bars that are decent and inexpensive. They taste pretty good, too.

ty, noted, yes their cereal is legit. so.

Saccopoo
02-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Dude, from granola bars to the best music video you've ever seen...classic good acid moment. I'm just happy I'm sharing it with you. (Although I turned down a really hot thingamabob tonight just to be here with you. Sacrifices.)

kcxiv
02-04-2010, 02:31 AM
thats what i fuck with Kashi. I have been having to eat alot of whole grain and let me tell ya, it makes bowel movements alot easier. haha. i used to eat pure red meat, but my doctor told me to slow it down some. So i been having to find substitutes. I am down to 1-3 times a week on red meat and not all that much. Its hard, i miss it. :( I do like me some rotisserie chicken with my tapatillo sauce. mmmmm.

Silock
02-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Go red meat or go home! I usually have a steak every day!

Anyway, make your own bars! Oatmeal, chocolate protein powder, sugar-free Jell-O pudding, olive oil and egg whites. You don't even need to make a lot. It ends up being around 100 calories per 2"x2" section, and that's about all you'll need, because it fills you up good.

ChiefJustice
02-04-2010, 03:56 AM
I must be missing something here.

FAX
02-04-2010, 05:21 AM
In these horrible economic times, it's best to make your own as Mr. Silock suggests.

Oats and nuts and grains and seeds and something gooey to make it all stick together ... like glue, or something. Mix it up and bake it until it looks different than it did. Don't eat too soon or you'll granola burn the heck out of your mouth.

FAX

mikeyis4dcats.
02-04-2010, 09:09 AM
serving size 2 bars? that's kind of unusual...

even the serving size of pop tarts is only 1 tart.

Silock
02-04-2010, 09:12 AM
They know you're not going to eat 1 bar. There's nothing IN them.

loochy
02-04-2010, 09:13 AM
serving size 2 bars? that's kind of unusual...

even the serving size of pop tarts is only 1 tart.

That's because 2 skinny little bars are stacked upon each other in a pack.

Furthermore, I don't understand the point of this thread. What's wrong with these bars? They are pretty good...

Consistent1
02-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Don't see what is so wrong with those numbers if you insist on being able to eat that type of stuff while trying to lose weight. Or am I missing something here?

loochy
02-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Don't see what is so wrong with those numbers if you insist on being able to eat that type of stuff while trying to lose weight. Or am I missing something here?

Yeah, for a snacky worthless type of food, 180 calories isn't too bad. But if you are interested in losing weight, shouldn't you not be eating snacky things anyways? Eat something with some real nutritional value...it'll fill you up more and help your body. For example, go chow down on some frozen strawberries or something.

Hammock Parties
02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I eat those all the time. There's nothing wrong with them.

loochy
02-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I eat those all the time. There's nothing wrong with them.

I love them...not for weight loss...I just think they are damn good! I like really like the honey ones and the peanut butter ones.

I do hate how they crumble and make a mess when you bite into them though...and it seems like half the time they've already been crunched up in the little package. I open it and I spill sweet oaty godoness all over the floor. :(

Hammock Parties
02-04-2010, 09:29 AM
I love them...not for weight loss...I just think they are damn good! I like really like the honey ones and the peanut butter ones.

I do hate how they crumble and make a mess when you bite into them though...and it seems like half the time they've already been crunched up in the little package. I open it and I spill sweet oaty godoness all over the floor. :(

They're good for a quick snack when I've eaten hardly anything and I'm running out the door. Good for a quick breakfast with a glass of milk, too.

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 09:36 AM
That's because 2 skinny little bars are stacked upon each other in a pack.

Furthermore, I don't understand the point of this thread. What's wrong with these bars? They are pretty good...

ROFL

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 09:39 AM
umm, well if you're just cruising along w/ a regular diet than, I'm sure there isn't anything wrong w/ them. HOWEVER, if you're on a program (like many of you) they really are loaded w/ sugar. Kashi sounds like a good switch, also, I screwed up by buying 'light' yogurt. It too is loaded w/ sugar. Thank you Jesus & thank you Silock.

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Dude, from granola bars to the best music video you've ever seen...classic good acid moment. I'm just happy I'm sharing it with you. (Although I turned down a really hot thingamabob tonight just to be here with you. Sacrifices.)

you constantly sacrifice for me. And It's noticed, thanks.

loochy
02-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Well here's a REAL bar:

http://donstuff.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/snickers-bar.jpg

Calories 445 (1859 kJ)
.................................................% Daily Value 1
Total Fat................22.2g..............34%
Sat. Fat...................7.9g..............40%
Cholesterol..................8mg.............3%
Sodium....................222mg.............9%
Total Carbs.............55.6g..............19%
Dietary Fiber.............1.6g...............6%
Sugars...................47.7g
Protein....................6.4g
Calcium..................63.6mg

Nature Valley bars have no honor...

http://totallylookslike.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/worfs-forehead-totally-looks-like-snickers-candybar.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 10:30 AM

:spock:

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
any suck anyway, if I am going to eat food in a bar it's going to be a snickers or milky way. Why the fuck try to piss my body and mind off by going oh it looks like a candy bar, it FEELS like a candy bar, oh shit it's wheat soy trash with protein morsels. Hell no, why don't I just fool my body into thinking it's going to get hot tomales and then fuck it over with fruit punch like mike and ikes. For fuck sakes.

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Go red meat or go home! I usually have a steak every day!

Anyway, make your own bars! Oatmeal, chocolate protein powder, sugar-free Jell-O pudding, olive oil and egg whites. You don't even need to make a lot. It ends up being around 100 calories per 2"x2" section, and that's about all you'll need, because it fills you up good.

http://shop.iclv.com/images/The%20China%20Study.jpg

seclark
02-04-2010, 11:02 AM
i made a granola bar this morning before i took my shower.
sec

Silock
02-04-2010, 11:28 AM
http://shop.iclv.com/images/The%20China%20Study.jpg

...is a bunch of crap.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
...is a bunch of crap.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html

Riiiiiight, but the guy who wrote this "criticism" is not full of crap? Despite his links to WAPF and his promotion of a high-fat, high-cholesterol diet? ROFL

Silock
02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Newsflash:

ALL diets are high-fat, high cholesterol diets. If you don't understand why or how that happens, then you really need to go bone up on your biology.

And the criticism is founded on sound scientific research from peer-reviewed studies that you can look up for yourself on pubmed.

Alternatively, you can head over to the Heart Scan Blog and find out for yourself why diets high in fat are, in fact, BETTER for your heart than low-fat diets.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

The idea that we should not be eating anything that comes from animals is patently absurd and flies in the face of millions of years of evolution.

LaChapelle
02-04-2010, 11:50 AM
moderation
/thread

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Newsflash:

ALL diets are high-fat, high cholesterol diets. If you don't understand why or how that happens, then you really need to go bone up on your biology.

And the criticism is founded on sound scientific research from peer-reviewed studies that you can look up for yourself on pubmed.

Alternatively, you can head over to the Heart Scan Blog and find out for yourself why diets high in fat are, in fact, BETTER for your heart than low-fat diets.

The idea that we should not be eating anything that comes from animals is patently absurd and flies in the face of millions of years of evolution.

I look at societies that consume more calories than we do, have much lower cholesterol levels, lower body fat percentages..... and eat a much smaller percentage of meat.

Silock
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I look at societies that consume more calories than we do, have much lower cholesterol levels, lower body fat percentages..... and eat a much smaller percentage of meat.

They consume MORE calories than the US, yet are thinner? Link please. I think you'll find that those societies consume FAR less calories than the average American diet. Weight really boils down to calories in vs. calories out. Americans aren't good at the calorie restriction.

Italians are often quite overweight, yet their incidence of heart disease isn't as high as ours. This is because of all the olive oil they consume, a heart-healthy, good cholesterol promoting, fat-burning . . . fat. Yet they're fat because of all the excess carbohydrates in their diet.

High fat diets are not bad. It's worked for humankind for hundreds of thousands of years. Check out the triglyceride scores and lipid panels of these folks on the Atkins diet, compared to low-fat, high-carb diets. They're better than all the other diets. Why is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 12:07 PM
ty, noted, yes their cereal is legit. so.It looks and tastes like Kibbles and Bits.

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 12:09 PM
They consume MORE calories than the US, yet are thinner? Link please. I think you'll find that those societies consume FAR less calories than the average American diet. Weight really boils down to calories in vs. calories out. Americans aren't good at the calorie restriction.

Italians are often quite overweight, yet their incidence of heart disease isn't as high as ours. This is because of all the olive oil they consume, a heart-healthy, good cholesterol promoting, fat-burning . . . fat. Yet they're fat because of all the excess carbohydrates in their diet.

High fat diets are not bad. It's worked for humankind for hundreds of thousands of years. Check out the triglyceride scores and lipid panels of these folks on the Atkins diet, compared to low-fat, high-carb diets. They're better than all the other diets. Why is that?

black peoples hearts aren't very good because of soul food.

Silock
02-04-2010, 12:14 PM
"Every time I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen. In the goddamn refrigerator. Eatin' up all the food. All the chitlins... All the pig's feet... All the collard greens... All the hog maws. I wanna eat them chitlins... I like pigs feet. "

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
fridays aint never goin be the same!

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Newsflash:

The idea that we should not be eating anything that comes from animals is patently absurd and flies in the face of millions of years of evolution.Omitting fat completely is bad for you. Fat is needed for brain function. However, fat has 9 calories per gram compared to carbs and protein which have 4 calories per gram. Balance is the key. Do not consume too much of any one for an extended period of time.

Silock
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Omitting fat completely is bad for you. Fat is needed for brain function. However, fat has 9 calories per gram compared to carbs and protein which have 4 calories per gram. Balance is the key. Do not consume too much of any one for an extended period of time.

Fat is needed for far more than just brain function. The fact that it contains more calories is relatively meaningless, as having a large number of calories is the entire point of fat as a storage medium for energy. Additionally, 4 calories of protein and 4 calories of carbohydrates serve very different functions, so just striving for "balance" isn't a precise enough prescription.

EDIT: Just to clarify my statement a bit, you can go for an indefinite period of time with little to no carbs, but cannot do so without fats and proteins.

DaFace
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
They give these out at ski resorts for energy. That should tell you they're not designed for weight loss.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Fat is needed for far more than just brain function. The fact that it contains more calories is relatively meaningless, as having a large number of calories is the entire point of fat as a storage medium for energy. Additionally, 4 calories of protein and 4 calories of carbohydrates serve very different functions, so just striving for "balance" isn't a precise enough prescription.

EDIT: Just to clarify my statement a bit, you can go for an indefinite period of time with little to no carbs, but cannot do so without fats and proteins.Is it even possible to realistically eliminate carbs completely?

Silock
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Is it even possible to realistically eliminate carbs completely?

Sure. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's certainly possible if all you eat is meat. You could survive indefinitely on grilled chicken coated in olive oil if you really wanted to. Or bacon. Or steak. Or fish.

FAX
02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
What about ice cream sandwiches, Mr. Silock? They are the same shape as a granola bar, contain protein, and are made with other stuff that is nutritious and builds healthy bodies a bunch of ways.

FAX

Hammock Parties
02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Sugar is carbs, FAX.

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
have you ever had ice-milk, Fax?

Silock
02-04-2010, 12:49 PM
What about ice cream sandwiches, Mr. Silock? They are the same shape as a granola bar, contain protein, and are made with other stuff that is nutritious and builds healthy bodies a bunch of ways.

FAX

I whole-heartedly endorse drinking a great beer, sleeping with beautiful women, enjoying a nice cigar and, of course, ice cream sandwiches.

What's the fun in being healthy without ice cream and other things that make life worth living?

loochy
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
WTF is the deal with everyone hating on red meat these days? Are people not aware that lean cuts are available? Hell, you can eat some white meat that's fatty as hell too. Quit being meat racists.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Sure. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's certainly possible if all you eat is meat. You could survive indefinitely on grilled chicken coated in olive oil if you really wanted to. Or bacon. Or steak. Or fish.I said realistically. Walking back to the meat department of the grocery store you will see something that you want (veggies, ice cream, potato...). Not to mention, valueable nutrition needed is not found in meat (i.e. vitamin C).

Silock
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
WTF is the deal with everyone hating on red meat these days? Are people not aware that lean cuts are available? Hell, you can eat some white meat that's fatty as hell too. Quit being meat racists.

I dunno, man. I don't get it. I get the corn-fed beef thing being potentially bad.

But free-range, grass-fed beef is great for you. It has an excellent fat profile and is high in omega-3 fatty acids.

Silock
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I said realistically. Walking back to the meat department of the grocery store you will see something that you want (veggies, ice cream, potato...). Not to mention, valueable nutrition needed is not found in meat (i.e. vitamin C).

Well, then, realistically, it just depends on your self-control. If you can't avoid potatoes and ice cream, that's not the meat's fault :)

I somewhat agree with the nutrition thing, simply because most meat is farm-raised and won't go through the natural food-chain to get the nutrients.

Still, it's not necessary to have zero carbs in your diet to enjoy the benefits of a low-carb diet. Right now, I get about 10% of my calories from carbs, but they only come in the form of berries (low in sugar and calories), the occasional tomato, and leafy greens like spinach and broccoli (which you can eat a TON of because they're ridiculously low in calories). You can get plenty of great omega-3s and fiber from raw nuts. When I'm not on such a strict diet as I am now, it still rarely gets above 25%, which is still "low-carb."

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2010, 01:13 PM

You endorse the Atkins diet? Dr. Atkins sustained a heart attack which the AHA linked to the Atkins diet. Eating lean meats and low-carb. can make you appear healthy, maintain a healthy weight but still develop heart disease.

Silock
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
You endorse the Atkins diet? Dr. Atkins sustained a heart attack which the AHA linked to the Atkins diet. Eating lean meats and low-carb. can make you appear healthy, maintain a healthy weight but still develop heart disease.

Red herring. Nothing makes one immune to all diseases or physical illness.

Again, the most recent scientific studies show that low-carb, protein and fat-based diets produce the most favorable blood profiles and reductions in arthroscopic plaque. I've posted a couple of links to these studies already in this thread. Can you post yours? I'd like to take a look at them.

FAX
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I whole-heartedly endorse drinking a great beer, sleeping with beautiful women, enjoying a nice cigar and, of course, ice cream sandwiches.

What's the fun in being healthy without ice cream and other things that make life worth living?

That's my preferred form of physical therapy as well, Mr. Silock. In fact, I've been thinking about opening up a clinic to offer these very services to conscientious men concerned with their health and well-being. You know, something for the poor guys who are caught up in that whole eating nutritious foods and regular exercise trap. A kind of "Stop The Insanity" deal.

It's a difficult regimen, of course. You have to make a long-term commitment to change your lifestyle, but the results are worth it.

FAX

NewChief
02-04-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll crosspost this from the Workout/Diet thread:

The basic premise: the author lives for 8 weeks on a specific diet. Along the way he exercises and has a doctor taking blood samples. He also meticulously keeps track of how he feels with a journal. Anyway, it's well worth the read. It doesn't have the definitive answer on diet, but it does provide some insightful, interesting reading:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/201001/diets-fitness-nutrition-wellness-intro.html

FAX
02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
have you ever had ice-milk, Fax?

I once nuzzled the lovely breasts of a lactating Eskimo girl.

Does that count?

FAX

Silock
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
A kind of "Stop The Insanity" deal.

It's a difficult regimen, of course. You have to make a long-term commitment to change your lifestyle, but the results are worth it.

FAX

Shaved heads are a must, then! That is, if you're not already balding.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
You endorse the Atkins diet? Dr. Atkins sustained a heart attack which the AHA linked to the Atkins diet. Eating lean meats and low-carb. can make you appear healthy, maintain a healthy weight but still develop heart disease.Was Dr. Atkins following his own diet?

Silock
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll crosspost this from the Workout/Diet thread:

The basic premise: the author lives for 8 weeks on a specific diet. Along the way he exercises and has a doctor taking blood samples. He also meticulously keeps track of how he feels with a journal. Anyway, it's well worth the read. It doesn't have the definitive answer on diet, but it does provide some insightful, interesting reading:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/201001/diets-fitness-nutrition-wellness-intro.html

I think the best thing that anyone can take away from that is that it's up to each individual to take responsibility for his/her health and do what works best for them.

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Dude, i've eaten it a TON for yrs. It's time for a break.

loochy
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Dude, i've eaten it a TON for yrs. It's time for a break.

As someone said earlier in the thread, moderation is key. You know those goofy health posters that say things like "put a rainbow on your plate for good health"? I think there is truth to that. Eat a little bit of everything (while avoiding obvious bad choices) and I think you'll be ok. Eat a small piece of steak, but have some green veggies and some rye bread with berries for dessert.

I guess I'm just a meat fanboy.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
If I am going to get a bar like the one in the OP, I prefer a fiber bar or a protien bar. I agree with the OP, they are crap.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
As someone said earlier in the thread, moderation is key. You know those goofy health posters that say things like "put a rainbow on your plate for good health"? I think there is truth to that. Eat a little bit of everything (while avoiding obvious bad choices) and I think you'll be ok. Eat a small piece of steak, but have some green veggies and some rye bread with berries for dessert.

I guess I'm just a meat fanboy.

I've got a rainbow in my crock pot right now, and it smells so fucking good.

MoreLemonPledge
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg345/LedZap/EatCrayons.jpg

Simply Red
02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
... and look people, I'm not bashing rainbows here, I happen to love them too, especially cooked properly!