PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports The Star Spangled Banner

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 11:42 AM
At every sporting event held in America, the Star Spangled Banner is sung. The bigger the event, the bigger the star to sing the National Athem, and the bigger the hack job. These stars have made a habit of destroying the patriotic song by changing how the song is supposed to be sung. During some events, the players are standing around with the look of "WTF" on their faces because the song is so bad. The song should be sung with pride, dignity, and respect. The artists seem to think that the one song that they get to sing in front of a crowd should be rewritten to fit their style instead of them singing the song as it was meant.

The SuperBowl is Sunday and I am already dreading listening to the National Athem because some ovepriced hack job wants to sing like a fool.

Donger
02-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Considering Francis Scott Key borrowed the tune from a British drinking song...

Donger
02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
But, I agree that it's revolting how it is sung sometimes.

seclark
02-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Saulbadguy
02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I suppose yelling "CHIEFS" to replace the brave makes it better, right?

GMAFB, it's just symbolism. Get over it.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Considering Francis Scott Key borrowed the tune from a British drinking song...Yes but have you ever heard it sung like...?

To Anacreon, in Heav'n, where he sat in full glee,
A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
That he their inspirer and patron would be;
When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian --
Voice, fiddle and flute,
No longer be mute.
I'll lend ye my name, and inspire ye to boot...
And, besides, I'll instruct ye, like me, to entwine,
The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's vine.

The news through Olympus immediately flew;
Where Old Thunder pretended to give himself airs --
If these mortals are suffer'd their scheme to pursue,
There's devil a goddess will stay above stairs.
Hark! already they cry,
In transports of joy.
A fig for Parnassus! to Rowley's we'll fly;
And there, my good fellows, we'll learn to ennnnnnnnnnnnnntwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne,

Donger
02-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes but have you ever heard it sung like...?

To Anacreon, in Heav'n, where he sat in full glee,
A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
That he their inspirer and patron would be;
When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian --
Voice, fiddle and flute,
No longer be mute.
I'll lend ye my name, and inspire ye to boot...
And, besides, I'll instruct ye, like me, to entwine,

The news through Olympus immediately flew;
Where Old Thunder pretended to give himself airs --
If these mortals are suffer'd their scheme to pursue,
There's devil a goddess will stay above stairs.
Hark! already they cry,
In transports of joy.
A fig for Parnassus! to Rowley's we'll fly;
And there, my good fellows, we'll learn to ennnnnnnnnnnnnntwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne,

Those words? No. That tune? Yes.

BigChiefFan
02-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Half of them can't remember the words, that's when I just roll my eyes.

KCUnited
02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
The Royals have this guy that plays it on the saxophone every year that damn near creates a tear. He played the Negro League game a couple years ago, and I heard him a few times last Summer. Great way to get the crowd fired up if done right.

alpha_omega
02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Any idea who has been chosen to sing on Sunday?

Donger
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Any idea who has been chosen to sing on Sunday?

Carrie Underwood, it seems.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I suppose yelling "CHIEFS" to replace the brave makes it better, right?

GMAFB, it's just symbolism. Get over it.I can handle eight games a year. But try to show a foreigner that wants to become a citizen how the song is supposed to sung and you would be better off taking them to a third grade parent-teacher meeting.

Bugeater
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
<embed src= "http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_black.swf" quality="high" width="300" height="52" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars= "valid_sample_rate=true&external_url=http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/carllewis.mp3" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> </embed>

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
<EMBED height=52 type=application/x-shockwave-flash pluginspage=http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer width=300 src=http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_black.swf flashvars="valid_sample_rate=true&external_url=http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/carllewis.mp3" wmode="transparent" allowScriptAccess="always" quality="high"> </EMBED>:shake:

Donger
02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
<embed src= "http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_black.swf" quality="high" width="300" height="52" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars= "valid_sample_rate=true&external_url=http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/carllewis.mp3" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> </embed>

Where are snipers when you need them?

OnTheWarpath15
02-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Oh, Carl Lewis.

CoMoChief
02-04-2010, 12:03 PM
The Royals have this guy that plays it on the saxophone every year that damn near creates a tear. He played the Negro League game a couple years ago, and I heard him a few times last Summer. Great way to get the crowd fired up if done right.

He played it on opening day too.

CoMoChief
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Best National Anthem's I've heard:

1. Whitney Houston - no brainer
2. Boyz II Men - they did this acapella. fuckin amazing.
3. Hendrix
4. Jennifer Hudson

Silock
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Lady Antebellum did a fantastic job at the Sugar Bowl, I thought.

Dayze
02-04-2010, 12:08 PM
i heard a quartet of young girls sing it at a baskeball game (via Youtube of course)...it was possibly the coolest version I've heard.

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
here comes the P.C. nuts I guess we are just going to James Earl Jones Speak it everytime

Jilly
02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I think I'd be a helluva star spangled banner singer. I'd get it done, over with, nothing fancy...

although, I know it's our national song, but I think it's a dumb song all in all. I prefer America the Beautiful, it's much prettier and the words are ten times better.

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I prefer my Version

Ohhhh Beautiful for parts of it
Mostly assholes all of it
We got too much shit
but be nice we have nukes
and you saw how we don't give
a fuck about invading countries.
We will buy your shit
if it is cheap enough.
with Liberty and health care for
people with money's
401 k's for all kiss my ass

amen

OnTheWarpath15
02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/kcMYhcOahdBO5sYL34ziXw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/kcMYhcOahdBO5sYL34ziXw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Inspector
02-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd like to hear Kristen May sing it. Wow, what a voice. Girl has got her some pipes.

alpha_omega
02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Best National Anthem's I've heard:

1. Whitney Houston - no brainer
2. Boyz II Men - they did this acapella. fuckin amazing.
3. Hendrix
4. Jennifer Hudson

I know what you are saying, but #3....couldn't Jimi get some love from you for the #1 position?!?!

KCUnited
02-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I like The Who as much as anyone who only mildly likes classic rock, but what's with the foreign band halftime show? Its like all those Cadillac commercials with the Led Zeppelin tunes.

Crashride
02-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I know what you are saying, but #3....couldn't Jimi get some love from you for the #1 position?!?!

I would have to agree that whitney gets the #1 spot. She was amazing.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I like The Who as much as anyone who only mildly likes classic rock, but what's with the foreign band halftime show? Its like all those Cadillac commercials with the Led Zeppelin tunes.because the recent American acts have embarrassed the Super Bowl committee.

CHENZ A!
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Hey! Its Enrico Polatzo!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
02-04-2010, 12:49 PM
At every sporting event held in America, the Star Spangled Banner is sung. The bigger the event, the bigger the star to sing the National Athem, and the bigger the hack job. These stars have made a habit of destroying the patriotic song by changing how the song is supposed to be sung. During some events, the players are standing around with the look of "WTF" on their faces because the song is so bad. The song should be sung with pride, dignity, and respect. The artists seem to think that the one song that they get to sing in front of a crowd should be rewritten to fit their style instead of them singing the song as it was meant.

The SuperBowl is Sunday and I am already dreading listening to the National Athem because some ovepriced hack job wants to sing like a fool.

I'm not even sure why its done. Started during WWII and never ended apparently. It seems totally unnecessary to me and I wish they'd stop doing it but if you are going to do it do a good job.

ClevelandBronco
02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zcgRBkT69L8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zcgRBkT69L8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dottefan
02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I`m guessing you hate it when it sung with some soul right? ...I mean god forbid some one adds their own twist...to a song that was taken from some one esle..gezz...whats more American then taking OUR song and adding your own style to it..stop crying like a little baby.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
I guess being non-patriotic is the hip thing right now, but it is really a shame that one's own selfishness is more important than respect for their own country.

Dottefan
02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I guess being non-patriotic is the hip thing right now, but it is really a shame that one's own selfishness is more important than respect for their own country.

WOW...really? you think Whitney singing it in 91 was Hip Hop..fuck is your problem? ..how is this being selfish..how? ...or is that you just dont like how WE add a little bit of OUR touch to YOUR song..? .well news flash little RUSH..its ALL of OUR song..WE can add OUR own feeling to it just lik YOU can...thats what AMERICA is all about..now go watch FOX news ..I bet they would love this topic.

ClevelandBronco
02-04-2010, 02:02 PM
WOW...really? you think Whitney singing it in 91 was Hip Hop..**** is your problem? ..how is this being selfish..how? ...or is that you just dont like how WE add a little bit of OUR touch to YOUR song..? .well news flash little RUSH..its ALL of OUR song..WE can add OUR own feeling to it just lik YOU can...thats what AMERICA is all about..now go watch FOX news ..I bet they would love this topic.

Who is "we"? Are you a member of Whitney's band or something?

Jilly
02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
WOW...really? you think Whitney singing it in 91 was Hip Hop..**** is your problem? ..how is this being selfish..how? ...or is that you just dont like how WE add a little bit of OUR touch to YOUR song..? .well news flash little RUSH..its ALL of OUR song..WE can add OUR own feeling to it just lik YOU can...thats what AMERICA is all about..now go watch FOX news ..I bet they would love this topic.

WHOA.....something tells me this rage comes from elsewhere, like DC?

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Who is "we"? Are you a member of Whitney's band or something?

drug dealer

Donger
02-04-2010, 02:06 PM

I wasn't aware that the lyrics included even a single, "Yeah!"

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
The PC people are ruining this country, there is going to be a standard way to sing the National Anthiem so it doesn't offend anyone.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
WOW...really? you think Whitney singing it in 91 was Hip Hop..**** is your problem? ..how is this being selfish..how? ...or is that you just dont like how WE add a little bit of OUR touch to YOUR song..? .well news flash little RUSH..its ALL of OUR song..WE can add OUR own feeling to it just lik YOU can...thats what AMERICA is all about..now go watch FOX news ..I bet they would love this topic.Do you sing along when the National Athem is played? You are supposed to. Try singing along to Whitney Houston's version of the Star Spangled Banner. I bet you can't sing with her. I bet the song you try to sing is different from the song that she is singing.

BTW, who is WE? And OUR? WTF is little RUSH? WTF does FOX news have to do with this? Why did your caps lock keep sticking while you were typing?

Donger
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Do you sing along when the National Athem is played? You are supposed to. Try singing along to Whitney Houston's version of the Star Spangled Banner. I bet you can't sing with her. I bet the song you try to sing is different from the song that she is singing.

BTW, who is WE? And OUR? WTF is little RUSH? WTF does FOX news have to do with this? Why did your caps lock keep sticking while you were typing?

ALS (ANGRY LEFTIST SYNDROME)

KC native
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
:popcorn:

KC native
02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm not even sure why its done. Started during WWII and never ended apparently. It seems totally unnecessary to me and I wish they'd stop doing it but if you are going to do it do a good job.

THIS

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I think they should play fightin side of me before every game.

penguinz
02-04-2010, 02:34 PM
It is just a song.

Donger
02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
The PC people are ruining this country, there is going to be a standard way to sing the National Anthiem so it doesn't offend anyone.

Just reading up on this. Until 1968, apparently it had always been sung traditionally.

Yet another reason to dislike the 1960s.

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I remember I almost got into it with some people at arrowhead because my friends and I refuse to remove our stocking hats during the anthiem. Some rednecks try to tell us to take it off. I explained I will continue to wear it as long as we occupy Iraq.

Luke
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I have to admit I cringe and change the channel everytime some new "country artist" sings the Banner. The best version I remember was Billy Joel shortly after 911. He just played and sang it straight. No uber high ending, no long holds, just straight.

38yrsfan
02-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I am in no way a PC, liberal, conservative, whatever labeled box you want to use - I never vote straight party ticket but look at the candidates, poor though the selections may be.

I do however believe that there are some things that have earned the right to be respected by the citizens of this country. That there are customs, standards and emblems that represent the sacrifices that have been made for your freedoms that you enjoy now including pounding away on your keyboard, free and able to say and do what you feel within our social limitations. Think not, then try China.

That is what you need to think about when you claim that respect for these things is being PC, childish, or make comments saying to "get-ovet-it" as if your opinion of denigration is somehow superior. I think not.

Yes, we are free, but the question you should ask yourself is not "Can I do this" but "Should I do this".

IMHO

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I am in no way a PC, liberal, conservative, whatever labeled box you want to use - I never vote straight party ticket but look at the candidates, poor though the selections may be.

I do however believe that there are some things that have earned the right to be respected by the citizens of this country. That there are customs, standards and emblems that represent the sacrifices that have been made for your freedoms that you enjoy now including pounding away on your keyboard, free and able to say and do what you feel within our social limitations. Think not, then try China.

That is what you need to think about when you claim that respect for these things is being PC, childish, or make comments saying to "get-ovet-it" as if your opinion of denigration is somehow superior. I think not.

Yes, we are free, but the question you should ask yourself is not "Can I do this" but "Should I do this".

IMHOWell said.

jspchief
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Is it really Carrie Underwood? She's actually done a few NFL games and Baseball games, and she does an awesome job.

Seems like Faith Hill did a good one.

POND_OF_RED
02-04-2010, 03:50 PM
It's such an old boring song. They should update it. I vote for Brother Ali's Uncle Sam Goddamn. The only problem is I don't know what part would be a good spot to yell Chiefs when I'm drunk.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/46l236O7Iv8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/46l236O7Iv8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Welcome to the United Snakes. Land of the thief. Home of the slave. The grand imperial guard where the dollar is sacred and power is God.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
It's such an old boring song. They should update it. I vote for Brother Ali's Uncle Sam Goddamn. The only problem is I don't know what part would be a good spot to yell Chiefs when I'm drunk.
<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/46l236O7Iv8&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
Welcome to the United Snakes. Land of the thief. Home of the slave. The grand imperial guard where the dollar is sacred and power is God.

are you fuckin retarded? Fuck you & fuck white guilt.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 04:10 PM
<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/46l236O7Iv8&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
Welcome to the United Snakes. Land of the thief. Home of the slave. The grand imperial guard where the dollar is sacred and power is God.Are you trying to make a point? Because I didn't get it.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Are you trying to make a point? Because I didn't get it.

his point is hes tranparent and like women who enjoy soaps likes to be pandered to.

POND_OF_RED
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Are you trying to make a point? Because I didn't get it.

Not at all. It's just a great song. I think it would pump people up before a football game a lot more than some boring old song from 2 centuries ago. I don't understand why changing how the song is sung really matters when the words don't hold much meaning anymore anyways.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Not at all. It's just a great song. I think it would pump people up before a football game a lot more than some boring old song from 2 centuries ago. I don't understand why changing how the song is sung really matters when the words don't hold much meaning anymore anyways.

bullshit.

POND_OF_RED
02-04-2010, 04:20 PM
bullshit.

Are you one of those people who thinks Obama is a socialist?

CoMoChief
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM

He's a Marxist.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 04:23 PM

no, im that motherfucker who thinks your answer was/is 'bullshit'.

POND_OF_RED
02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
All I'm saying is that it's funny how people will stand by the Star Spangled Banner still and then in the next sentence claim that Obama is slowly taking our freedoms away. It makes no sense when the last line of the song specifically says land of the free.

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 04:34 PM
obama hasn't done shit either way LMAO

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 04:41 PM
All I'm saying is that it's funny how people will stand by the Star Spangled Banner still and then in the next sentence claim that Obama is slowly taking our freedoms away. It makes no sense when the last line of the song specifically says land of the free.

talk in circles much?

POND_OF_RED
02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
talk in circles much?

Do you feel like you really live in the land of the free anymore? I know I haven't since the patriot act was signed.

Pablo
02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
obama hasn't done shit either way LMAOReminds me of Dorsey.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Do you feel like you really live in the land of the free anymore? I know I haven't since the patriot act was signed.

wow.

Dave Lane
02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
obama hasn't done shit either way LMAO

This. My complaint is what he's done it what the republicans have blocked.

Dave Lane
02-04-2010, 05:30 PM

If you mean the potential to be abused and then none of us could be free I'm with you . As it stands I don't feel much less free unless I'm flying on an airline.

DaneMcCloud
02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I pretty much think that the Star Spangled Banner blows. I

I'd prefer that "America the Beautiful" was the National Anthem because of its timeless description of our actual country.

ClevelandBronco
02-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Only someone who is wholly uninformed about the PATRIOT Act would say such a foolish thing.

Norman Einstein
02-04-2010, 05:58 PM
i heard a quartet of young girls sing it at a baskeball game (via Youtube of course)...it was possibly the coolest version I've heard.

Cactus Cuties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284

38yrsfan
02-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Ditto on BS ....

Maybe this country is getting to be the way it si because those kind of things don't mean much anymore. Well they should and they still do to many.

stevieray
02-04-2010, 06:12 PM
sung with respect and emotion, it can bring tears to your eyes....something special about seeing players participating in the SB moved by it.

Red Friday about four years ago...My oldest went up to the band at the their break and asked if she could sing..(my wife and I didn't have a clue)..out of nowhere she starts singing the National Anthem and brought everyone to a standstill and received an ovation when she finshed..blew us away...

..most people dont' know there are four verses.

CoMoChief
02-04-2010, 06:55 PM
sung with respect and emotion, it can bring tears to your eyes....something special about seeing players participating in the SB moved by it.

Red Friday about four years ago...My oldest went up to the band at the their break and asked if she could sing..(my wife and I didn't have a clue)..out of nowhere she starts singing the National Anthem and brought everyone to a standstill and received an ovation when she finshed..blew us away...

I saw some dude dressed up like Elvis singing the National Anthem on the field before the Chiefs game. Horribly done. Didn't sound like Elvis at all. Just terrible.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Cactus Cuties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284 Couldn't tell that was a kid at first. Big voice for a munchkin.

acesn8s
02-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Do you feel like you really live in the land of the free anymore? I know I haven't since the patriot act was signed.http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0006.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=sign/sign0006.gif)Really? You are still free to gather with your friends at Arrowhead and watch a game without persecution. You can go to any city in which the Chiefs play watch a game there too. You can get on this board and talk trash about others teams or about your government without persecution. You can still worship whatever bonehead god that you want. You can still petition the gov't, own a gun, vote, etc. without being thrown in jail for it. Yes, you must follow the laws governing all of the above but the alternative is China. Land of the free and the home of the brave enough to sing the Star Spangled Banner correctly.

POND_OF_RED
02-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm not trying to talk shit on America man. I love this country but I just feel like the Patriot Act took a shit on the constitution by using fear. If they can do that I just fear what's to come in the long run. I'll admit right now before this starts a huge political argument that I am pretty naive when it comes to politics. Most of what I know comes from viral videos and not actual research because I don't understand the kind of big picture stuff that most of you DC people do. I just really like that Brother Ali song. Obviously I wasn't serious that it should replace the Star Spangled Banner I just think of the "United Snakes, Land of the thief home of the slave" part when I hear the song. I just hate any form of governing free minded people.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-04-2010, 11:52 PM
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0006.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=sign/sign0006.gif)Really? You are still free to gather with your friends at Arrowhead and watch a game without persecution. You can go to any city in which the Chiefs play watch a game there too. You can get on this board and talk trash about others teams or about your government without persecution. You can still worship whatever bonehead god that you want. You can still petition the gov't, own a gun, vote, etc. without being thrown in jail for it. Yes, you must follow the laws governing all of the above but the alternative is China. Land of the free and the home of the brave enough to sing the Star Spangled Banner correctly.

The alternative is NOT fucking China. That is the dumbest goddamned thing I have EVER seen posted on this message board.
I pledge allegiance to NOTHING motherfucker, and you can kiss my ass with a nice side-order of GO GET FUCKED.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-05-2010, 12:30 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_uDc5tQxmJY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_uDc5tQxmJY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

L.A. Chieffan
02-05-2010, 12:33 AM
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0006.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=sign/sign0006.gif)Really? You are still free to gather with your friends at Arrowhead and watch a game without persecution. You can go to any city in which the Chiefs play watch a game there too. You can get on this board and talk trash about others teams or about your government without persecution. You can still worship whatever bonehead god that you want. You can still petition the gov't, own a gun, vote, etc. without being thrown in jail for it. Yes, you must follow the laws governing all of the above but the alternative is China. Land of the free and the home of the brave enough to sing the Star Spangled Banner correctly.

you are free to sing the national anthem

|Zach|
02-05-2010, 12:47 AM
It is popular torip on the different ways the anthem is sung...and yes there are some bad ones...but I think they are few and far in between.

I know at Arrowhead when I have gone to games I have been impressed more than I have been unimpressed.

Slainte
02-05-2010, 01:43 AM
I pretty much think that the Star Spangled Banner blows. I

I'd prefer that "America the Beautiful" was the National Anthem because of its timeless description of our actual country.

This.

The SSB is an old British pub tune set off with an awful poetic screed about the War of 1812.

America The Beautiful FTW...

POND_OF_RED
02-05-2010, 01:48 AM
America The Beautiful FTW...

This.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghz4_kikLkE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghz4_kikLkE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ClevelandBronco
02-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Great song.

"God shed His grace on thee..."

We can all get behind that, right?

Raiderhater58
02-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Great song.

lol

Norman Einstein
02-05-2010, 07:53 AM
The old addage "My country right or wrong" went by the wayside long ago.

What I find disenheartening is the total disregard of what the words of the national anthem say and mean.

I love America the Beautiful, but I also have a deep respect for the men and women that died along the way that inspired what FSK wrote. The song is hard to sing, many singers can't remember the words and some, like Roseanne showed incredible disrespect for every American that has lost their life for their country.

If you don't like the song, don't listen to it, don't stand for it and don't sing it.

If you actually love the country I don't think it would bother you one way or the other. I really have to question the root of all of the negative comments about the anthem.

Norman Einstein
02-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Great song.

The mere mention of God would cause a shitstorm among ACLU offices.

Warrior5
02-05-2010, 08:03 AM

stevieray: that is awesome. Thanks for sharing that.:clap:

MOhillbilly
02-05-2010, 08:06 AM
The mere mention of God would cause a shitstorm among ACLU offices.

At my kids school they play the national anthem 1st thing in the morning and then say the pledge 'one nation under God' and all.

acesn8s
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM
At my kids school they play the national anthem 1st thing in the morning and then say the pledge 'one nation under God' and all.And the ACLU hasn't raised holy hell over that?

MOhillbilly
02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
And the ACLU hasn't raised holy hell over that?

lol, this area is a republican stronghold in missouri. Some great school systems out in the counties.

Made my heart swell with a pride when i asked the boy whos 5 if he knew it. He proceded to recite the pledge by heart.

Hydrae
02-08-2010, 03:37 PM
During the singing of the national anthem before the game last night I thought about what it would be like if the Chiefs were playing. Do you think a significant portion of the crowd will yell "Chiefs" at the end like they do at Arrowhead? How much controversy do you think that would stir up around the country the next couple of days? ROFL

acesn8s
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
During the singing of the national anthem before the game last night I thought about what it would be like if the Chiefs were playing. Do you think a significant portion of the crowd will yell "Chiefs" at the end like they do at Arrowhead? How much controversy do you think that would stir up around the country the next couple of days? ROFLI would like to find out.