PDA

View Full Version : Music ***Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread***

rambleonthruthefog
02-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Any fellow planeteers got some GD love? Ever seen em in KC, or anywhere? got a good GD story? Good GD joke? etc.

Jerry died when i was in HS, so i never saw them. Seen Ratdog, Phil&friends, The Other Ones, The Dead w/ Willie Nelson, and DSO. Own a lot of GD music, even have a Space Your Face tattooed on my back. My fav GD moment was at the Darien Lake Center, NY 1998(The Other Ones and one of my very first trips). Don't have one favorite song, but i F'n love when WSP covers Cream Puff War!
http://sunshinedaydream.biz/store/image/oo9q/Stickers_Grateful_Dead_-_Space_Your_Face_Sticker_109.jpg

Demonpenz
02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Knock Knock
who's there
MOVE THIS SHIT TO THE MEDIA CENTER

Bane
02-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Nah.Sorry,I think maybe there one song they put out that I liked,but I can't remember what it was.

NewChief
02-04-2010, 01:51 PM
I have a dancing bear tattooed on my leg from when I was a teenager. It's now douchetastic. I still got love for the Dead, though. Seen more jamband shows than I care to remember. Best Dead show I saw: Charlotte, NC in 1995 with Bruce Hornsby. Second time Unbroken Chain was played live.

rambleonthruthefog
02-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Nah.Sorry,I think maybe there one song they put out that I liked,but I can't remember what it was.

probably touch of gray. its the only song they ever released that cracked the top 10. that was sometime in the mid to late 80's. if not that, than probably casey jones, truckin, or sugar magnolia.

CosmicPal
02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I've been a lifelong Deadhead dating back to the 80's. I've always been fascinated by their music and culture but never really got "it" until I heard one of Jerry's solos and the rest is history.

Seen all the bands you mentioned and been to a couple of Grateful Dead shows- one in '89 I believe it was and another in '95 before they went to Chicago for their last show. :(

Slainte
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I think the "Best Of" album fufills about all my GD needs...

http://www.rhino.com/image/digital-front/:media:cms:images:200912:the-very-best-of-grateful-dead-cover-art-large_1261178696685.jpg

blaise
02-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I saw them 5 times. 4 times in Buffalo and once in Hamilton, Ontario. The four opening acts they had in Buffalo were: 10,000 Maniacs, Crosby Stills and Nash, Steve Miller and Sting.
The first time we went you could stay the night in the parking lot of Rich Stadium the night before the show. There was some real kooky people around there at 3:00 am. We walked by one truck in the night and there was some dude that had to be 300 pounds sitting in a chair, passed out, buck naked.
At that show my friend Shawn drove up and during the night he separated from us. He comes walking back up in the morning, totally polluted, and said, "I shit my pants." Then he went in the truck, locked the doors and puked on himself and passed out. He stayed there for like 6 hours and then came out and went to a porta-potty and somehow cleaned himself up. I think he had spare clothes and he used a jug of water or something. Then he went right back to drinking and made it to the show.
I'm not a big Dead fan, but the shows were a blast.

eazyb81
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Huge fan of the dead, but never had the chance to see them live since they were before my time. My dad has told me plenty of stories, wish I could have made one show.

FAX
02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I know a lot of dedicated Dead Heads and have through the years. One guy I knew from San Francisco followed them for years all over the country and attended every one of their concerts. I, however, have never really gotten into those guys for some reason. It's just one of those jokes I don't get. To me, their music is just kinda ... blah.

FAX

Bane
02-04-2010, 02:02 PM
probably touch of gray. its the only song they ever released that cracked the top 10. that was sometime in the mid to late 80's. if not that, than probably casey jones, truckin, or sugar magnolia.

Yeah that was it,I had to look it up on you tube though to fully remember it.That one is ok.

CosmicPal
02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I think the "Best Of" album fufills about all my GD needs...

No offense, but that's sad. ANY Dead fan will tell you their live shows are the best. Other than American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, the Grateful Dead could never duplicate their energy when playing live and for the most part, their studio efforts were subpar whilest their live shows where sublime.

blaise
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
At all the shows I went to at Buffalo about halfway through they just opened the gates and you could just go in and out without a ticket.
I think the song they played that seemed to get the crowd moving the most was Man Smart, Woman Smarter.

Slainte
02-04-2010, 02:08 PM
No offense, but that's sad. ANY Dead fan will tell you their live shows are the best. Other than American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, the Grateful Dead could never duplicate their energy when playing live and for the most part, their studio efforts were subpar whilest their live shows where sublime.

No offense taken, man. I've never Groked their live stuff and don't understand the whole deadhead-following-around-for-the-entire-tours thing. I do think it's cool in it's uniqueness, though.

To each his own. Myself, I grew up & remain a serious Floyd fan. I don't expect everyone to feel the same as I do...

blaise
02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
No offense taken, man. I've never Groked their live stuff and don't understand the whole deadhead-following-around-for-the-entire-tours thing. I do think it's cool in it's uniqueness, though.

To each his own. Myself, I grew up & remain a serious Floyd fan. I don't expect everyone to feel the same as I do...

I saw them at Yankee Stadium once. That was a good time.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 02:12 PM
One of the greatest days of my life occurred at a Grateful Dead concert. They were playing the old Memorial Coliseum in Seattle around 1994 and there were 30,000 people OUTSIDE the concert in the streets while it was going on.

Lots of drugs, lots of girls, and lots of drugs and girls. I don't even remember half that day, but it was fucking amazing.

CosmicPal
02-04-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm a serious Floyd fan myself too. Actually listening to "A Saucerful of Secrets" right now.

There were a few reasons why the Dead had a huge following of concertgoers and that is they had a different setlist each and every night. Not only that, they improvised their music, so you never heard the same song the same way again. That encouraged folks to want to see them play every night because each night was different.

Slainte
02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I saw them at Yankee Stadium once. That was a good time.

I only saw them once--1987, In chapel Hill, NC during the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. Interesting. Remarkable and memorable, but...no Roger Waters...

:(

rambleonthruthefog
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
At that show my friend Shawn drove up and during the night he separated from us. He comes walking back up in the morning, totally polluted, and said, "I shit my pants." Then he went in the truck, locked the doors and puked on himself and passed out. He stayed there for like 6 hours and then came out and went to a porta-potty and somehow cleaned himself up. I think he had spare clothes and he used a jug of water or something. Then he went right back to drinking and made it to the show.

Holy Sh*t, man!!:spock: I've got a few "show" friends that can never seem to pace themselves as well.

blaise
02-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I only saw them once--1987, In chapel Hill, NC during the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. Interesting. Remarkable and memorable, but...no Roger Waters...

:(

Yeah, when I saw them it was post-Waters, too. Still it was good. You take what you can get I guess.

jspchief
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Went to my first Dead concert in Bonner Springs. Was in high school and went with a bunch of friends because we heard there would be a lot of drugs (knew very little of the music beyond the most "mainstream" songs). Some of us really loved the scene, others weren't really into it. Saw them a few more times... field seats at Soldier field, the wave, acid.

Really loved the concert experience. Wasn't a huge follower of the music but I do have my favorites that bring back good memories.

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Grew up on it, not really a fan. But i do every once in a while stumble on some ol timey tune they did...

Slainte
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm a serious Floyd fan myself too. Actually listening to "A Saucerful of Secrets" right now.

Love the live version from Ummagumma

CosmicPal
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPBLfzTPCDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPBLfzTPCDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

MOhillbilly
02-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Nice sig Cosmic.

NewChief
02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
The whole Dead/Jam/Hippie thing has pretty much shaped my entire life from when I was 16 up to this point (though I did mess simultaneously with the punk deal in my early teen years). I did the whole tour thing for quite a few years. Grew dreadlocks (got a dancing bear tattoo as I admitted earlier in the thread), took way too many hallucinogens, took way too few showers, and basically lived that whole tour rat lifestyle. It was a lot of fun, and I have very few regrets. My main regret is that all my memories from those days are really, really foggy. Sometimes I'll start telling some wild story from the days, and I can't really recall the actual event. I remember the story itself more than the actual event. Sometimes I even wonder if the original event even happened like I "remember" it.

Anyway, my wife and I met at a Jerry Garcia Band show... so yeah... it was a pretty important part in our lives. Hell, most of our group of friends are still people from back in the touring days. Of course, now we're all grown up with kids and jobs... but we still have that common thread in our friendship.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I could totally see you at a Dead concert in a Trent Green snuggie. ROFL

Luke
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I was/am a deadhead since 68, I traveled from mid-missouri to St. Louis Checkerdome the last time I saw them. I remember the 1st 3 songs but, somewhere during Sugar Magnola somboday passed me a hooter. I remember taking 2 hits and coming around at the Boober in Booneville. Ahh, the good old daze....:doh!:

NewChief
02-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I could totally see you at a Dead concert in a Trent Green snuggie. ROFL

That wouldn't even come close to the weirdest shit I used to wear on tour. I went through a skirt wearing phase for a while. My great aunt had some patchwork skirt that she'd handmade for a Pioneer days celebration down in South Arkansas. Somehow, I inherited i t. I freeballed it underneath the thing, too. I'm sure my great aunt was rolling over in her grave.

vailpass
02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Dude they busted out Dark Star!!

Lookin' for a miracle!

Seriously though,
Anyone besides me like a little Rueben & Cherise?

CosmicPal
02-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I was/am a deadhead since 68, I traveled from mid-missouri to St. Louis Checkerdome the last time I saw them. I remember the 1st 3 songs but, somewhere during Sugar Magnola somboday passed me a hooter. I remember taking 2 hits and coming around at the Boober in Booneville. Ahh, the good old daze....:doh!:

Wow...'68!! Damn. You've seen it all.

There were two Grateful Deads- the one before "Touch of Grey" and the one after.

CosmicPal
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Here's an oldie and a goodie for you Luke from 1970

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVsSKuxyaro&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVsSKuxyaro&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rambleonthruthefog
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Another fav GD moment of mine is the 1st Bonnaroo, 2002 in manchester TN. Phil Lesh& Friends played the second to last set before Anastasio. The last song they played was Tennessee Jed. The whole place was going nuts. 10s of thousands just havin a blast.........Aint no place id rather be!

the next year The Dead gave me one of my worst GD moments. Bonnarroo 2003, The Dead are playing the very last set of another epic bonnaroo festival. What do they close the festival out with you ask? thousands of fans screaming for one more song before we have to go back home, and they damn near put me to sleep with an E: of Attics of my live sung by Joan Osbourne. or maybe she sung on china doll. either way they both sucked.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
That wouldn't even come close to the weirdest shit I used to wear on tour. I went through a skirt wearing phase for a while. My great aunt had some patchwork skirt that she'd handmade for a Pioneer days celebration down in South Arkansas. Somehow, I inherited i t. I freeballed it underneath the thing, too. I'm sure my great aunt was rolling over in her grave.

LMAO That's awesome. You're a minimum of 27% hippie.

vailpass
02-04-2010, 03:15 PM
How meany Deadheads does it take to change a lightbulb?
One to actually change it, 2,000 to take pictures of it, and 10,000 to follow it around until it burns out.

rambleonthruthefog
02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
what did the deadhead say after he ran out of drugs?

this music sucks!

NewChief
02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
LMAO That's awesome. You're a minimum of 27% hippie.

The best skirt story I have:

One of my best friends and I decided to detassle corn one summer around Scranton, Iowa. We just knew the campsite we were supposed to go to. So, the two of us go there and set up camp. We're the first two to arrive. We set up camp and then just hang out like we usually did when we were camping.

So, I'm sitting around in my patchwork skirt, no shirt, and playing the banjo. My buddy is wearing overalls with no shirt and a cowboy hat. We're both barefoot. He's working on sewing patches into some of his pants. That's about when the rest of the detassling crew shows up. I'm wearing a skirt. He's sewing.

After a few days of hanging out with the detasslers (who, were themselves quite a motley crew), they finally got up the courage to ask us if the two of us were a couple. ROFL

That was a crazy month. Our final night in the town, the locals closed down the bar for us and threw us a big party. The whole detassling crew ended up stripping down and hanging out in the bar naked (there were chicks and guys).

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
The best skirt story I have:

One of my best friends and I decided to detassle corn one summer around Scranton, Iowa. We just knew the campsite we were supposed to go to. So, the two of us go there and set up camp. We're the first two to arrive. So, I'm sitting around in my patchwork skirt, no shirt, and playing the banjo. My buddy is wearing overalls with no shirt and a cowboy hat. We're both barefoot. He's working on sewing patches into some of his pants. That's about when the rest of the detassling crew shows up. I'm wearing a skirt. He's sewing.

After a few days of hanging out with the detasslers (who, were themselves quite a motley crew), they finally got up the courage to ask us if the two of us were a couple. ROFL

LMAO Were you at least playing the song from "Deliverance" on the banjo when they showed up? I didn't do nearly enough of that kind of thing when I was in my 20's. I'm really regretting it now.

CosmicPal
02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
One of my fondest memories was the July 4th show at Sandstone. It was a blistering 105 degrees that day. We're having a ball. I remember going to the show with about a dozen people, but by the end of the concert I could only find one dude left from our party and ended up riding home with him. He was tripping so bad he didn't realize he was only doing 45MPH down I-435.

The thing that bothered me most about the show was the constant flow of ambulances. They'd pull up on the left side of the venue and everyone can see them. People were passing out from the deleterious heat and suffering from dehydration and everything. It freaked me out when every few moments I'd see an ambulance pull away and then another arriving just a few moments after that one.

CosmicPal
02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
For you, rambleon...

The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics.

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/AGDL/

vailpass
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
what did the deadhead say after he ran out of drugs?

this music sucks!

:D

rambleonthruthefog
02-04-2010, 03:55 PM
For you, rambleon...

The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics.

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/AGDL/

thanks. someone actually gave me a whole book on annotated dead lyrics once. jellyrole has been in the vocab ever since.

Luke
02-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow CosmicPal, thanks for the flashback! Best 6 minutes of the day. I can't believe how young they were back then. Weir and Garcia looked like high schoolers!

Sfeihc
02-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Listening to Sirius Ch. 32 as I type this. Been a Deadhead since 1991. Going to see Furthur next month in Chicago.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-05-2010, 12:15 AM
:facepalm:

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
02-05-2010, 12:25 AM
A friend and I saw GD at sandstone in 91 (my first time seeing them). Parked the car and it was probably less than 5 minutes and we had bought 2 molson beers and 3 hits of acid. What a night, been in love with the band ever since. We ran out of gas on the way back to KC, a guy on a motorcycle stopped and gave my buddy a ride to a gas station and back, which was pretty wild with a head full of acid.