PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gannon Talks Chiefs, Raiders At The Super Bowl

T-post Tom
02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Meh...slow news day...

Gannon Talks Chiefs, Raiders At The Super Bowl

While I was "working" down on South Beach yesterday afternoon at a celebrity flag football game, my partner down here at the Super Bowl, Big Blue Shoe from Stampede Blue, was able to catch up with a few of the Sirius NFL Radio guys, including former Kansas City Chiefs QB Rich Gannon.

(Side note: Do me a favor and click this link to head to Stampede Blue because BBS did us a big favor by asking some Chiefs related questions to Mr. Gannon. Plus he's got a lot of good stuff up from the Super Bowl as well.)

First off, we all know what we would ask Gannon if we got the chance - Marty Schottenheimer starting Elvis Grbac over Gannon in the 1997 playoff game against the Broncos.

And that's what BBS asked.

Gannon had gone 5-1 down the stretch and a lot of folks (including myself) thought he should have gotten the nod over Grbac, who was out with injury, in the playoff game.

Marty had said you don't lose your job to injury.

"It was really hard to kind of sit there, particularly in ‘97. Because, I think I’d played in the last seven games where we were 6-1 or something. We were really on a roll, and then to step aside. But, then you realize you don’t get many chances in this business, particularly when you go 13-3 and have homefield advantage at Arrowhead for two games with a chance to go to the Super Bowl. It was hard."

That's one of the reasons Gannon said he actually preferred his time in Oakland versus Kansas City. It wasn't so much about the team and the people involved, but the fact that Oakland was his team.

"I think I enjoyed the Oakland experience more from the standpoint that it was finally my team when I got the chance. I played in Kansas City, but under Marty [Schottenhiemer] it was never really my team."

Mr. Gannon is actually currently right across the hall from me filming NFL Sirius Radio.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/2/4/1292808/gannon-talks-chiefs-raiders-at-the

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Who could blame him? The Chiefs were never his team. Although they should've been........................

Bane
02-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Who could blame him? The Chiefs were never his team. Although they should've been........................

Yep.I watched that game and was so pissed......:shake:

chiefs1111
02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
screw Elvis Grbac. one of the worst moves King Carl ever made

Bane
02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
screw Elvis Grbac. one of the worst moves King Carl ever made

One of way too many.:shake:

FAX
02-04-2010, 10:40 PM
I can still recall the all consuming anger I felt when Marty let Grbac play that game. A totally irresponsible move on Marty's part. I understand the whole, "you can't lose your job due to injury" deal, but it was clear that Gannon was on a roll. Crazy, crazy decision, that one was. Unforgivable, really.

FAX

cdcox
02-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Carl made the right decision in getting rid of Gannon.

He could have made one more by dumping Grbac at the same time.

Couple of losersacks.

chiefs1111
02-04-2010, 10:42 PM
hell,i am surprised Carl didn't trade for Jim Druckenmiller the way he liked useless 49er qb's

POND_OF_RED
02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
God I hated Grbac. I hate that we still have to be reminded of him every game to by that one fan that insists on dressing up like Elvis still. Makes me sick. You'd think he'd get a new outfit by now. :evil:

TEX
02-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I can still recall the all consuming anger I felt when Marty let Grbac play that game. A totally irresponsible move on Marty's part. I understand the whole, "you can't lose your job due to injury" deal, but it was clear that Gannon was on a roll. Crazy, crazy decision, that one was. Unforgivable, really.

FAX

Yep. I remember saying at the time that all Marty had to say was Grbac was losing his job because Gannon was playing BETTER than Grbac had played before he was injured. End of story. But NOOOOOOOOO, Marty just couldn't do that. So, he'll never even get to a Super Bowl now, much less win one. For a team that has made some horrible decisions over the years, that's the ONE I'll NEVER get over..:shake:

FAX
02-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Yep. I remember saying at the time that all Marty had to say was Grbac was losing his job because Gannon was playing BETTER than Grbac had played before he was injured. End of story. But NOOOOOOOOO, Marty just couldn't do that. So, he'll never even get to a Super Bowl now, much less win one. For a team that has made some horrible decisions over the years, that's the ONE I'll NEVER get over..:shake:

It's a clear case of principle overriding practicality ... to the detriment of all.

I understand where Marty was coming from, but it was patently obvious that Grbac wasn't getting it done whereas Gannon was producing. I wonder if, in retrospect, Marty would do it again.

FAX

BIG K
02-04-2010, 10:54 PM

FAX

IIRC, the defense had went like ten straight games leading to the playoffs without allowing a second half touchdown, (NFL record) and the offense was scoring more average points per game than at any time in the franchise history. The move to start gRBAC proved to me without question that Petersons and Schotts pride clouded their judgement. If they started Gannon and we won the Superbowl, they would have had to admit that they failed in identifying Gannons talent before they went shopping for a new QB.

I remember reading an article in the offseason of 97' when Neil Smith became a fa that he had said those two individuals pride would keep them from ever winning a SB.

EPIC FAIL!!

T-post Tom
02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey kids...anyone want one of these? It's a "sports superstar" collectible. ROFL

http://www.billssportscards.com/footslu/97grbac.jpg

stevieray
02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey kids...anyone want one of these? It's a "sports superstar" collectible. ROFL

http://www.billssportscards.com/footslu/97grbac.jpgwith mismatched jersey numbers...fitting.

you noobs have no clue the size of the meltdown that decision created back in the day...epic...

T-post Tom
02-04-2010, 11:15 PM
with mismatched jersey numbers...fitting.

you noobs have no clue the size of the meltdown that created back in the day...epic...

beyond epic really. peterson hate hit record levels.

KcMizzou
02-04-2010, 11:16 PM
It's a clear case of principle overriding practicality ... to the detriment of all.

I understand where Marty was coming from, but it was patently obvious that Grbac wasn't getting it done whereas Gannon was producing. I wonder if, in retrospect, Marty would do it again.

FAXI'd hope not. I don't believe the man's a moron.

And more importantly, hindsight is 20/20.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Yep. The confidence level he helped build with that team as the season ground on can not be denied. Does anyone here really believe that team walked on to the field that day in the same head space they had two weeks before? Give me a fucking break.
Fuck you Carl. Fuck you in the ass.

Yep.I watched that game and was so pissed......:shake:

One of the darkest days in franchise history.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-04-2010, 11:27 PM
IIRC, the defense had went like ten straight games leading to the playoffs without allowing a second half touchdown, (NFL record) and the offense was scoring more average points per game than at any time in the franchise history. The move to start gRBAC proved to me without question that Petersons and Schotts pride clouded their judgement. If they started Gannon and we won the Superbowl, they would have had to admit that they failed in identifying Gannons talent before they went shopping for a new QB.

I remember reading an article in the offseason of 97' when Neil Smith became a fa that he had said those two individuals pride would keep them from ever winning a SB.

EPIC FAIL!!

You recall correctly.

Goldmember
02-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Another reason why Gannon should have been the choice was the weather. There were artic-like conditions at Arrowhead and Gannon could have used his elusiveness to run the ball for first downs to keep drives going, something immobile Elvis Dumbass couldn't.

02-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Yep.I watched that game and was so pissed......:shake:Hell, who wasn't?

ROYC75
02-05-2010, 12:09 AM
:grr: The thought of that game makes me ill !

HemiEd
02-05-2010, 12:13 AM

Agreed, but Grbac was taller.

Chiefspants
02-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Grbac not only stole Gannon's job, but his people's award as well.

http://jeffpearlman.com/?p=2080

kcfanXIII
02-05-2010, 12:30 AM
iirc, didn't elvis come back for week 17 and have a terrible day against the saints before starting that game against the donkeys?

BigMeatballDave
02-05-2010, 02:11 AM
its stupid decisions like this is the reason marty has not shit. fuck marty.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
02-05-2010, 02:14 AM
iirc, didn't elvis come back for week 17 and have a terrible day against the saints before starting that game against the donkeys?it wasn't good. I was pissed going into that play off game cuz I knew what was gonna happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Over-Head
02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Gannon to the Raiders was probably the nicest thing anyone ever did for Al. :clap:

As for the game Elvis lost. Hell they kinda looked like the Bills benching Flutie for Brad (million dollar arm) Johnson

Warrior5
02-05-2010, 07:55 AM
its stupid decisions like this is the reason marty has not shit. **** marty.
Posted via Mobile Device

No wonder Marty is mad all the time...

beach tribe
02-05-2010, 08:00 AM

FAX

Gannon was clearly the better QB, and i was furious when they let Grbac play.
That "you don't lose your job to injury" shit was ridiculous.

I guess Tom Brady should have given Drew Bledsoe his job back once his lung healed up.

beach tribe
02-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Gannon to the Raiders was probably the nicest thing anyone ever did for Al. :clap:

As for the game Elvis lost. Hell they kinda looked like the Bills benching Flutie for Brad (million dollar arm) Johnson

Yep. First time I've ever agreed with a Raiders fan.

Man, we have made some stupid, stupid, stupid moves the last 20 years.

Pioli may not have done everything right so far (NOBODY hits on every move), but i hope the JA size blunders are over. Lord I pray.

Nzoner
02-05-2010, 08:48 AM

FAX

I've posted this many times MR Fax but according to radio reports at that time there was quite a loud argument overheard between Marty and Carl on who would be starting and Carl's ego won out.

2 years later when Marty was doing ESPN's NFL Live a like situation was going on with another team that I cannot recall but I'll never forget Marty saying and I paraphrase,"do not mess with the chemistry you have going no matter what kind of pressure you're under."

Jack
02-05-2010, 09:08 AM
It will always be my belief that Gannon would have beaten the donks just on pure chemistry alone.

I think that if that game was replayed a hundred times with grbac, the results would be the same.

Earthling
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Two things come to mind when I think of gannon and grbac..

Grbac spiking the ball on 4th and goal during a game...from the 1 or 2 yd line.

Gannon getting the MVP for Pro bowl 2 consecutive years after going to Raiders.

Still makes me shake my head on their decision to start Grbac.

Cannibal
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
www.kcgannonfan.com

Over-Head
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Yep. First time I've ever agreed with a Raiders fan.
Bet ya feel all dirty now don't ya :evil:

Demonpenz
02-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Rob Johnson, Brad Johnson is a super bawl winnar dude!