PDA

View Full Version : Misc Ammo Question

Frazod
02-06-2010, 11:13 PM
How much does .45 ammo go for in Missouri? I traded my 9mm Glock for a .45 Beretta Mini Cougar tonight. This is my first .45, and while I'll pick up at least a box tomorrow, I know it'll be outrageous, especially up here in the Peoples Republik of Illinois. I figure I'll stock up next time I'm back home.

cdcox
02-06-2010, 11:16 PM
The ammo is a heck of a lot cheaper than your choice in targets.

Bane
02-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Right around 50 cents a round.I got 300 rounds of 230 gr fmj for $145 a while back.Wasn't price shopping,just needed some to shoot on a spur of the moment outing.

Frazod
02-06-2010, 11:22 PM
The ammo is a heck of a lot cheaper than your choice in targets.

The refrigerator still works, actually. :)

Al Czervik
02-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Paid about 30 bucks for a box of Hollow Points last month....

Frazod
02-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Right around 50 cents a round.I got 300 rounds of 230 gr fmj for $145 a while back.Wasn't price shopping,just needed some to shoot on a spur of the moment outing.

Damn, that's pricy. I really don't shoot all that much anymore (I hate indoor ranges), but if I did I'd probably look into reloading my own.

Bane
02-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Damn, that's pricy. I really don't shoot all that much anymore (I hate indoor ranges), but if I did I'd probably look into reloading my own.

Well I have a Ruger P95 that I shoot most of the time.I only shoot the 45 on occasion.That price is high I'm sure.I honestly have only bought .45 ammo one other time.My buddy gave me a bunch when he sold me the gun.I'd much rather shoot the P95.

Frazod
02-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Well I have a Ruger P95 that I shoot most of the time.I only shoot the 45 on occasion.That price is high I'm sure.I honestly have only bought .45 ammo one other time.My buddy gave me a bunch when he sold me the gun.I'd much rather shoot the P95.

Yeah, I have a .38 that I'll probably stick with for recreational shooting, but I definitely need to run some rounds through the new .45 to get a feel for it. I can't remember the last time I shot one.

Here's my new baby, BTW. :bang:

L.A. Chieffan
02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
50 cents a round....jesus fuck

petegz28
02-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Range ammo will cost you around $18-$20 for a box of 50

Bwana
02-06-2010, 11:49 PM
50 cents a round....jesus ****

ROFL

Try buying rounds for a .454 or a .500. 50 cents a pop is nothing.

Congrats on stepping up to a .45 Tim.

Bane
02-06-2010, 11:50 PM
50 cents a round....jesus ****

Well I stopped at a local gun store and just grabbed some,I'm sure it can be found cheaper.Like I said I shoot that gun very rarely and only stopped where I did cause it was a last minute thing.

Bane
02-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I have a .38 that I'll probably stick with for recreational shooting, but I definitely need to run some rounds through the new .45 to get a feel for it. I can't remember the last time I shot one.

Here's my new baby, BTW. :bang:

That's sweet!:thumb: I've had a few Glocks,and Berettas in the past,but I really like Ruger hand guns.

Frazod
02-06-2010, 11:54 PM
ROFL

Thanks. This is a good choice for a home defender and I think I'll have more fun shooting it. I traded my Glock 26 to a friend who is looking for something smaller for conceal/carry, so we're both happy.

Do you reload, BTW? If so, how much do you think it would cost to get all the equipment?

Bane
02-06-2010, 11:56 PM
ROFL

Hell yeah I bet.My 30.06 ammo usually is right at $1 a round,depending on gr and brand.

Mr. Kotter
02-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Another Frig given you enough grief, eh? :p

Or is it another appliance this time? Deep freezer or Washer, maybe? :hmmm:

Frazod
02-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Another Frig given you enough grief, eh? :p

Or is it another appliance this time? Deep freezer or Washer, maybe? :hmmm:

All the appliances fear me now. They give me no trouble. :evil:

TrebMaxx
02-07-2010, 12:59 AM
You can find some that is a bit cheaper.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=32

Frazod
02-07-2010, 01:06 AM
You can find some that is a bit cheaper.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=32

Thanks. Have you used either of these brands?

TrebMaxx
02-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks. Have you used either of these brands?
Yep, no problems.

Frazod
02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Yep, no problems.

Sweet. Sounds like the way to go. Thanks again.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Frazod,

I recommend upgrading to a .50 caliber Barrett or M2 and using the Mk211 Raufoss round.

It will go through over 1" of solid steel fridge.

TrebMaxx
02-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Frazod,

I recommend upgrading to a .50 caliber Barrett or M2 and using the Mk211 Raufoss round.

It will go through over 1" of solid steel fridge.

ROFL

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 04:15 AM
I load my own for <$5 a box. If you shoot much, you should invest in a reloading press.

Winchester in the White Box FMJ is generally the cheapest factory ammo. It is around $20 for 50 rounds and around $30 for 100. You can find it at Walmart. Sometimes gun shops will go to Walmart and buy them, then mark them up in their store.

Keep in mind, sometimes steel cased ammo (like some Wolf ammunition posted above) is very hard on some guns. Winchester White Box is brass.

Your new pistol uses a rotating locking-mechanism that is pretty unique. The only pistols I've seen that use it are other Beretta/Stoeger pistols.

old_geezer
02-07-2010, 06:39 AM
The local Wal-Mart where I work sells Winchester 100 round value boxes for $34.97 (230 gr. FMJ) and Federal boxes of 50 for $16.97 (also 230 gr, full metal jacket). Great for target shooting and it doesn't hurt at all to get the employee 10% off. :D The self defense ammo costs more but when you're counting on it to save your life it's worth it. I use Speer Gold Dot hollow point myself, but there are several good self defense loads out there. Just find one that feeds reliably through your gun. My weapon of choice right now is a Glock 30 (compact .45 cal). I like to make big holes. :)

Consistent1
02-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Don't you fellers feel kinda jobbed when you pay all that cash for ammo and can't even legally take someone out with it. I know I would.....

Bwana
02-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks. This is a good choice for a home defender and I think I'll have more fun shooting it. I traded my Glock 26 to a friend who is looking for something smaller for conceal/carry, so we're both happy.

Do you reload, BTW? If so, how much do you think it would cost to get all the equipment?

No I don't reload. I just buy a lot of different kind of ammo, incluing VERY hot ammo for bear country. Not the kind of stuff you go plinking with. I have a lot of friends who reload, but it's never been my thing.

Bane
02-07-2010, 08:39 AM
No I don't reload. I just buy a lot of different kind of ammo, incluing VERY hot ammo for bear country. Not the kind of stuff you go plinking with. I have a lot of friends who reload, but it's never been my thing.

Mine either but my brother loads his own ammo.:hmmm: Maybe I'll look into it a bit more.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-07-2010, 08:59 AM
That's sweet!:thumb: I've had a few Glocks,and Berettas in the past,but I really like Ruger hand guns.

The first handgun I ever bought was a Ruger .44 Mag "Super Blackhawk" revolver with a 10 1/2 " barrel. Bought it when I was 13. I've got numerous Rugers and never had any problems with any of them.

The last 5 years I've carried a Kimber "Custom II" .45 . Probably on of the best handguns made.

Go to www.cabelas.com if you want bulk ammo. You can get 1200 rds of winchester 230 grain for $520. Be patient though, I,ve had some on backorder for 3 weeks.

Bane
02-07-2010, 09:03 AM
The first handgun I ever bought was a Ruger .44 Mag "Super Blackhawk" revolver with a 10 1/2 " barrel. Bought it when I was 13. I've got numerous Rugers and never had any problems with any of them.

The last 5 years I've carried a Kimber "Custom II" .45 . Probably on of the best handguns made.

Go to www.cabelas.com if you want bulk ammo. You can get 1200 rds of winchester 230 grain for $520. Be patient though, I,ve had some on backorder for 3 weeks.

Well you know it's just like with anything else,you grow to like what you're comfortable with I guess.I just like the way the Ruger feels,and have grown very accustomed to their hand guns.

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Mine either but my brother loads his own ammo.:hmmm: Maybe I'll look into it a bit more.

I have had two guys reload for me at various points in my life. The first one loved to reload shotgun shells. We would go bird hunting 6-7 days a week. One day, I shot one of his reloads at a grouse and rather then a BOOM, there was a pop Noise and BB's came rolling out of the end of my shotgun. There was still some wads stuck in the barrel. The day of hunting over, letting Rich reload my shells was over as well.

The other circumstance involved rifle rounds. Another friend had all the stuff to reload and he told me if I bought the dies, he would reload my rounds. I had a .340 Weatherby mag and I would damn near have to take out a second loan on the house to shoot the power stick. I went out and bought the stuff and he reloaded a bunch of rounds for me. He had also relaoded a bunch of rounds for his .338. We went up to the range to try them out and all started out well, nice and accurate. Things took a turn for the worse on about his 6th or 7th shot.

BOOM! I looked over and his barrel was split in half and looked a lot like this: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NbizDZq5rug/0.jpg

He had put in to much powder and it smoked the gun. I took one look at that and said, "the hell with this." I decided at that point, I would either buy high end factory rounds, or reload myself.

Bane
02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I have had two guys reload for me at various points in my life. The first one loved to reload shotgun shells. We would go bird hunting 6-7 days a week. One day, I shot one of his reloads at a grouse and rather then a BOOM, there was a pop Noise and BB's came rolling out of the end of my shotgun. There was still some wads stuck in the barrel. The day of hunting over, letting Rich reload my shells was over as well.

The other circumstance involved rifle rounds. Another friend had all the stuff to reload and he told me if I bought the dies, he would reload my rounds. I had a .340 Weatherby mag and I would damn near have to take out a second loan on the house to shoot the power stick. I went out and bought the stuff and he reloaded a bunch of rounds for me. He had also relaoded a bunch of rounds for his .338. We went up to the range to try them out and all started out well, nice and accurate. Things took a turn for the worse on about his 6th or 7th shot.

BOOM! I looked over and his barrel was split in half and looked a lot like this: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NbizDZq5rug/0.jpg

He had put in to much powder and it smoked the gun. I took one look at that and said, "the hell with this." I decided at that point, I would either buy high end factory rounds, or reload myself.
Well thats usually my thing,I have found many times with ammo,you get what you pay for.Theres nothing wrong with going a little cheaper to plink with or just pop off,but I tend to be picky with my "functional" ammo.
Man that would so piss me off if that happened to my 30.06.:banghead:

RNR
02-07-2010, 09:25 AM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NbizDZq5rug/0.jpg

That is what happens when someone sticks their finger in the end of the barrel. He should have just surrendered~

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:27 AM
The first handgun I ever bought was a Ruger .44 Mag "Super Blackhawk" revolver with a 10 1/2 " barrel.

LMAO

I got one of those when I was 13. I will never forget my first shot with that *&%#@ gun. BOOM, the thing rolled back and the hammer caught me across the kunckle on my right thumb and split it wide open. My Dad was with me and I'll never forget the look in his eyes. He had this "WTF were you thinking buying that hand cannon" look on his face. I ran the rest of the box through it before going home, but I always hated that gun after the first shot. I have owned several other .44's, Smith's, Redhawks, Colts, and a lot bigger hand guns, but I have never had one catch me like that. I wasn't ready for the "roll action" that the Blackhawk has.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-07-2010, 09:37 AM
LMAO

I got one of those when I was 13. I will never forget my first shot with that *&%#@ gun. BOOM, the thing rolled back and the hammer caught me across the kunckle on my right thumb and split it wide open. My Dad was with me and I'll never forget the look in his eyes. He had this "WTF were you thinking buying that hand cannon" look on his face. I ran the rest of the box through it before going home, but I always hated that gun after the first shot. I have owned several other .44's, Smith's, Redhawks, Colts, and a lot bigger hand guns, but I have never had one catch me like that. I wasn't ready for the "roll action" that the Blackhawk has.

Clint Eastwood was your Idol too then !

Too bad your first experience was negative. that's a really great gun. I'll bet yours had the 7 1/2" barrel ??

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:42 AM
On a side note, my next toy is going to be a .500 S&W. I have a .454, but I want to own one of these .500 thunder sticks/grizzy smackers, at least once.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Tom_500_nightfiring.jpg/300px-Tom_500_nightfiring.jpg (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/File:Tom_500_nightfiring.jpg)

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/STmonster_1103A.jpg

http://www.ozarkguns.com/Revolvers/smith_revolver_files/swg163504a.jpg

Bane
02-07-2010, 09:45 AM
On a side note, my next toy is going to be a .500 S&W. I have a .454, but I want to own one of these .500 thunder sticks/grizzy smackers, at least once.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Tom_500_nightfiring.jpg/300px-Tom_500_nightfiring.jpg (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/wiki/File:Tom_500_nightfiring.jpg)

Thats just crazy!:bang:
I read an article on those a few years ago.Nice gun,but not at all in my ball park.

rockymtnchief
02-07-2010, 09:45 AM

I've been eyeballing that bad boy too.

Over-Head
02-07-2010, 09:47 AM
ROFL

Try buying rounds for a .454 or a .500.
But not all of us mere mortals feel the need to strap a fuggen cannon to our hip

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Clint Eastwood was your Idol too then !

Too bad your first experience was negative. that's a really great gun. I'll bet yours had the 7 1/2" barrel ??

It did have a 7 1/2 barrel on it. I wouldn't have an issue with it now, but I wasn't ready for it at the time. I had fired a S&W .44 before shooting the Blackhawk and it had a lot different kick, so I wasn't ready for it at the time. Thumb healed nicely, lesson learned..... :doh!:

Bane
02-07-2010, 09:49 AM
But not all of us mere mortals feel the need to strap a fuggen cannon to our hip

I'm there with ya.I'm just fine and dandy shooting my Ruger P95.I'm not so down with the dirty harry weaponry.ROFL

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:52 AM

I have a Glock 20 for meth monkey's, but I like something a little bigger in the event I run into something nasty and hairy in the mountains, that's in a bad mood. I want to be able to kill it, rather than piss it off and becomes its dinner. :eek:

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm there with ya.I'm just fine and dandy shooting my Ruger P95.I'm not so down with the dirty harry weaponry.ROFL

It all boils down to what you're shooting at.

This:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LfuSegYb4AM/Sja1OO7ul4I/AAAAAAAAALc/nM3bM5lepow/s400/BeavisTheMethHead.jpg

or this:

http://warriorforjesus.com/images/madgrizzlybeara.jpg

Bane
02-07-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a Glock 20 for meth monkey's, but I like something a little bigger in the event I run into something nasty and hairy in the mountains, that's in a bad mood. I want to be able to kill it, rather than piss it off and becomes its dinner. :eek:

Yeah no doubt,can't blame ya there.

ChiTown
02-07-2010, 09:57 AM
It all boils down to what you're shooting at.

http://warriorforjesus.com/images/madgrizzlybeara.jpg

My business partner just bought a 4" barrel .50 Cal S&W for just that. He goes fishing in Alaska every year. He had a close encounter last year, and said he wasn't going back unless he had one of those to protect himself.

Over-Head
02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
What do RnR and I have to do to convince you that Raider fans are harmless????:eek:

Bwana
02-07-2010, 10:02 AM
My business partner just bought a 4" barrel .50 Cal S&W for just that. He goes fishing in Alaska every year. He had a close encounter last year, and said he wasn't going back unless he had one of those to protect himself.

If I get in a jam like that, I want something that's going to lay it out. It's not like a guy is going to use the .500 for every weekend target shooting. I will be using it for one thing and that's to drop a pissed of bear or moose.

Bwana
02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
What do RnR and I have to do to convince you that Raider fans are harmless????:eek:

ROFL

Bane
02-07-2010, 10:03 AM

No no no!!! Its the Donkhole fans in the mountains we want to kill!:shake:
ROFL

chiefforlife
02-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I just got a Ruger P94, .40 cal. Anyone had any experience with .40 cal? I've never had nor shot one.

Bane
02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
I just got a Ruger P94, .40 cal. Anyone had any experience with .40 cal? I've never had nor shot one.

Yes.I had a Glock .40 before,nice gun.I'm actually looking at the Ruger P94s myself.

Bwana
02-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Yes.I had a Glock .40 before,nice gun

I have as well, it was a nice gun.

RNR
02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes.I had a Glock .40 before,nice gun.I'm actually looking at the Ruger P94s myself.

My son just bought one yesterday~

Bane
02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I have as well, it was a nice gun.

The one I had was the compensated model.Was a little strange at first,but it shot very nice.

Bane
02-07-2010, 10:23 AM

I never had a problem with mine.Shot it regularly,kept it clean,and it never let me down.

petegz28
02-07-2010, 10:23 AM

I have a Beretta .40 and I love it. Get compliments on it all the time and everyone I have let shoot it has nothing but good things to say about it.

old_geezer
02-07-2010, 10:24 AM

From my experience the .40 cal Glock I have produces more "snap", or felt recoil, than the .45 that I carry for everyday protection. I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag with 7 1/2 barrel that is a little uncomfortable for me to shoot too often, and an older Ruger Vaquero .44-40 that I absolutely love to shoot. :D

chiefforlife
02-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow, great feedback guys. I cant wait to shoot it now. Thanks.

Bane
02-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Wow, great feedback guys. I cant wait to shoot it now. Thanks.

Sometimes I'm surprised and impressed with the feedback from some of the guys here.:D

Bwana
02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I've been eyeballing that bad boy too.

Well hell, perhaps we need to hook up and hit one of the sporting goods stores at the same time and they will give us a better deal? Let me know if you get serious, because I'm going to pick one up within the next couple of months. Do you have a concelled weapons permit? I love my CWP, because I can walk right in, buy the gun and walk right out, no waiting period.

On a side note, I see they make 700 gr hard cast bullets for that thing...damn!

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-07-2010, 10:43 AM

I bought a P94 back in 94. The 40 is an excellent round and I would favor it as personal protection just behnd the .45. The 40 will give you better penetration than a 45 but not the knock down. they say when your hit with a 45 its like someone hitting you with a sledgehammer as hard as they can.

Over-Head
02-07-2010, 11:01 AM
No no no!!! Its the Donkhole fans in the mountains we want to kill!:shake:
ROFL
THIS!!!!!

Over-Head
02-07-2010, 11:03 AM
At least your packen! :thumb:
With our damn gun laws thanks to "gunt Campbell" when she was in power the best I got is a broken sling shot and a pea shooter :cuss:

Over-Head
02-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Do you have a concelled weapons permit?
In Canada??ROFL
Just get me:
Jesus autograph,
1 pint of blood from the blessed virgin her self,
sign over the birthrights to your first born,
and
10 Chickens teeth.

Come up with that list and you might get the application to fill out for one IF your lucky.

rockymtnchief
02-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Well hell, perhaps we need to hook up and hit one of the sporting goods stores at the same time and they will give us a better deal? Let me know if you get serious, because I'm going to pick one up within the next couple of months. Do you have a concelled weapons permit? I love my CWP, because I can walk right in, buy the gun and walk right out, no waiting period.

On a side note, I see they make 700 gr hard cast bullets for that thing...damn!

Yup, I've had my CCW permit for 8 years. I love going in, laying down my cash, and walking out with my pistol 15 minutes later. Plus, I sometimes walk in the local business's after being in the sticks and forget that I still have my Ontario SP-1 under my coat. I may be forgetful, but I'm legal.

I'm probably waiting until Fall to buy anymore guns. I'm thinking of getting a new 4-wheeler and maybe a small travel trailer this summer. I like your idea, though. Maybe I'll change my mind.:evil:

Radar Chief
02-07-2010, 11:18 AM
You'll like the .45 ACP round for home protection. It's a man stopper and also my choice for family protection.

rockymtnchief
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I bought a P94 back in 94. The 40 is an excellent round and I would favor it as personal protection just behnd the .45. The 40 will give you better penetration than a 45 but not the knock down. they say when your hit with a 45 its like someone hitting you with a sledgehammer as hard as they can.

I love my .45. I have a Kimber Utra Carry II for carrying and I bought a High Point for a "tackle box" gun.

But, I have been pretty intrigued by 10mm's lately. I might consider one sometime down the road.

For the Beretta lovers, have you tried the Taurus? I picked up a PT92 for $200 (unfired) and ran 300 rounds through it beautifully. Then turned around and sold it for $375 to a buddy.

Radar Chief
02-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I love my .45. I have a Kimber Utra Carry II for carrying and I bought a High Point for a "tackle box" gun.

But, I have been pretty intrigued by 10mm's lately. I might consider one sometime down the road.

For the Beretta lovers, have you tried the Taurus? I picked up a PT92 for $200 (unfired) and ran 300 rounds through it beautifully. Then turned around and sold it for $375 to a buddy.

I'm jealous. That's what I want for my CCW but they aren't exactly giving those away.

doomy3
02-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Where'd you find a Taurus for $200?

dtebbe
02-07-2010, 11:27 AM
So after reading the Marvin Harrison story I had to go in to my local gun shop and see just what the hell a FN Five-Seven was... Just image an overgrown .17HMR and put 20+1 in a pretty much full size composite frame.

They actually had a used one for $850, no way I would shell out that kind of coin for one.

Now, on the other hand they had a VERY lightly used Glock 36 that I may have to go pick up tomorrow. It was like new $399.

Friggin' ammo has gotten expensive as hell! I stocked up about 8 years ago and haven't bought any since then.. this thread made me look and :doh!: holy shite!

DT

rockymtnchief
02-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm jealous. That's what I want for my CCW but they aren't exactly giving those away.

I love the gun, but I don't know if I'd pay that price again. I used to have a lot more cash to play with back then. But it's a beauty, for sure!

Where'd you find a Taurus for $200?

A couple years ago a store in Billings had them in an add for $245. The add was supposed to say $425. My buddy got there as soon as they opened and bought it. The store immediately pulled them from the shelf and informed everyone of the misprint. A month later, after getting layed off, he sold it to me to make some fast cash.

rockymtnchief
02-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Friggin' ammo has gotten expensive as hell! I stocked up about 8 years ago and haven't bought any since then.. this thread made me look and :doh!: holy shite!

DT

Most of my ammo is 3+ years old. Every once in a while I'll buy a box or two from the local guy to give him some business. When I still had the 9mm it took 2 months to get a single box. I could get +P immediately, but that was about it.

tmax63
02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I reload for everything I own except for rimfires and 410's. I've been reloading for 20 years give or take and have never had a problem with any round I have ever made. It's not something that you take lightly though because if you do screw up you can end up with a barrel that looks like that. have been pricing components for 45acp for a buddy and can come up with a price of about $15-18 a box for plinking material or $25 a box for a HP home defense type load. Dies are $35-40.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Fraz, I used to shoot a lot of the aforementioned WWB, but my Walmart never has them in stock. So I use CCI Blazer .45acp, the aluminum cased stuff is $15-17 or so on sale nowdays and their brass cased is about a dollar higher. It's pretty good range ammo, has always gone boom for me. A couple more I like for the money, Prvi Partisan (Serbian) , Sellier & Belloit (Czech), Magtech (Brazil) are reloadable brass cased and the steel cased Wolf stuff - but my current range is down on Wolf so I have to use brass there. Wolf Gold is brass cased ammo, but it's just re-boxed Prvi Partisan, the PP is cheaper. Most of these I can still find for under $20 a box most of the time, and if you buy bulk/on sale the price can get pretty reasonable. It will NEVER be as cheap as shooting 9mm. Just the price we pay for being the cool guys, I suppose.
I don't like to reload (similar story to Bwana) but I have pals who do. I give them my used brass and they buy me a 6 pack now and then or a box of ,17hmr in exchange, we're both happy.
I buy a lot of my ammo on the web, I figure the shipping costs are about what I'd spend driving around trying to find stuff in stock. If they can't deliver to your address in Chicago (thank you, Mayor Daly) let one of us know back here. One of us could take delivery for you prior to a trip back. But if you go to Columbia when you're here, you might want to just buy online from Midway and pick it up yourself at their shipping dock.

John Moses Browning (PBUH) designed the .45acp to kill bad guys w/hardball. The mo' bettah stuff really is mo' bettah at opening up bigger holes, but I never feel undergunned w/a .45 and FMJ ammo. Those are still pretty big old holes and should get the job done.

Here are some online ammo dealers I've done bidness with and like:
AIM surplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com/)
ammunition to go (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/)
Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/)
Doubletap (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_34&products_id=156)
Ammoman (https://www.ammoman.com/) bulk orders, price includes shipping
Georgia Arms (http://georgia-arms.com/45acp.aspx?page=2&size=30)

Some of the web dealers require you to fax or email a copy of your driver's license for their records, be aware up front. Hope you like your new gun, I've heard good things about it.

Frazod
02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks everybody for the responses.

BOCF, I don't live in Chicago, I'm in the suburbs, so Comrade Daley's psychotic gun laws don't apply to me (at least not at home). As long as I can provide a picture of my FOID card I can order ammo on line. I will check out those links.

Another question I have - looks like I might have a problem picking up spare magazines, as the Mini Cougar is no longer manufactured. Any recommendations where to look for stuff like that?

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 12:52 PM
CDNN closes out a lot of magazines, worth downloading their online catalog for a looksee. Midway and Brownells are also worth a check. I'll get some links up for you in 2 shakes

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 12:57 PM
cdnn (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html)

brownell's (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=9/Products/Magazines)

You can also check w/Meg Gar and Pro Mag, who make replacement magazines for a lot of guns (and make the mags for a lot of gunmakers, for that matter). Plus, the Cougar in various forms may be be manufactured by different company now, there's something rattling in my head that they're teamed with EAA or Trangfolia or maybe it's the Israeli IMI for some deals. Might do some research, could be they're still making your magazine for another model that is your gun with a new label. That happens a lot w/euro pistolas.

Bwana
02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Yup, I've had my CCW permit for 8 years. I love going in, laying down my cash, and walking out with my pistol 15 minutes later. Plus, I sometimes walk in the local business's after being in the sticks and forget that I still have my Ontario SP-1 under my coat. I may be forgetful, but I'm legal.

I'm probably waiting until Fall to buy anymore guns. I'm thinking of getting a new 4-wheeler and maybe a small travel trailer this summer. I like your idea, though. Maybe I'll change my mind.:evil:

Sounds good, let me know......

Frazod
02-07-2010, 01:02 PM

You can also check w/Meg Gar and Pro Mag, who make replacement magazines for a lot of guns (and make the mags for a lot of gunmakers, for that matter). Plus, the Cougar in various forms may be be manufactured by different company now, there's something rattling in my head that they're teamed with EAA or Trangfolia or maybe it's the Israeli IMI for some deals. Might do some research, could be they're still making your magazine for another model that is your gun with a new label. That happens a lot w/euro pistolas.

Thanks! :thumb:

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Mini Cougar review (http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Beretta_Mini_Cougar.htm)

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I wasn't so far off - it's Stoeger (http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/cougarb_071807/) in Turkey instead of IMI, but they're still being made. Stoeger is a subsidiary of Beretta, just a cheaper work force on the same machinery.

Bwana
02-07-2010, 01:15 PM

I always enjoy BOCF's posts on firearms. No only does he know his stuff, but always provides links to a lot of good web pages. I sure like the hard cast doubletap rounds you turned me onto. Those are some nasty hard hitting rounds. :thumb:

Frazod
02-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Awesome - glad to know somebody still make it. Thanks again! :thumb:

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
I'ma quit now, but here's a brand new magazine (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=787105), kinda spendy but downright available. If Midway has 'em for this price, start shopping for a lower price.

Enjoy your new gun!

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Bwana. Those Doubletap hardcast are what I want in bear country. I can't wait for someone to spot a bear in Kansas...I've got a wishlist you wouldn't believe, but I can't justify some of these bangsticks for coyotes. Frazod, anybody who has handguns in Illinois deserves all the help I can give 'em.

Frazod
02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I'ma quit now, but here's a brand new magazine (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=787105), kinda spendy but downright available. If Midway has 'em for this price, start shopping for a lower price.

Enjoy your new gun!

That one's for the Cougar, not the Mini. I'm sure it would work, but look retarded.

Of course, if I get down to the point where I need to use a third clip of ammo for real, I guess I really wouldn't give a shit how aesthetically pleasing the gun looked at the moment. :D

EDIT - never mind, I just realized the eight round clip mine has just has a plastic piece around the end that goes around the base of the clip, and I have a second one in the case. Duh. That is, in fact, the correct magazine.

Frazod
02-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Frazod, anybody who has handguns in Illinois deserves all the help I can give 'em.

Outside of Chicago it's not that bad. The rest of the state does try to cancel out their bullshit - sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don't. There's obviously no conceal/carry, and they are a bit draconian when it comes to transporting, but I'm not really worried about the community I live in ever doing anything to restrict my ownership rights.

Of course, I wouldn't care if they did. You can bet I had my handguns when I lived in Chicago. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Otter
02-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Hey Fraz I was referred to the below site for hydroshock ammo availability and have been using them ever since. About 5 orders now with no problem, good price and selection.

That's about as much as I can vouch for them but prolly worth checking out if they have what you're looking for -

http://www.smokewagongear.com/c-1259-handgun.aspx

Kerberos
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I was looking at these at a gun show in Abilene KS yesterday. Pretty gawdammned impressive looking. They are ALL cylinder since they shoot a 3inch 410 Shotgun shell or a 45 Long Colt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfC7htSAPeE

The picture does not do this gun justice (no pun intended) it is pretty intimidating. 5 shot gun with 3" 410 buckshot. Kick ASS combo</EMBED></EMBED>

Frazod
02-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, I'm off to the range. :bang:

Kerberos
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
BTW .. Frazod

Find some surplus ammo somewhere. You don't mind shooting some ammo that's been sitting for 20 years do ya. :D

When I had the 9mm I bought 5000 rounds of Norinco non-corrosive ammo and I was thinking back then it was around .08 cents a round.

Don't know what it would cost nowadays.

TrebMaxx
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Hey Fraz I was referred to the below site for hydroshock ammo availability and have been using them ever since. About 5 orders now with no problem, good price and selection.

That's about as much as I can vouch for them but prolly worth checking out if they have what you're looking for -

http://www.smokewagongear.com/c-1259-handgun.aspx

They have a pretty good price on the CCI Blazer .45. That is a pretty good round, use it quite a bit. A few cents higher per round than the Wolf. The thing about using steel case rounds is to make sure they have a polymer coating. I've put over 500 rounds through my SA 1911 without problems. For range or plinking it works fine. I keep my home defense mags loaded with Magtech 230 grain.

Kerberos
02-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Don't know what this would cost to ship but it's at .34 a round before shipping.

http://static.luckygunner.com:8080/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x135/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/6/8/682205997_45apc_1_1.jpg (http://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-230-grain-fmj-tula-500-rounds)
45 ACP - 230 Grain FMJ - Tula - 500 Rounds (http://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-230-grain-fmj-tula-500-rounds)

$170.00 As low as: $160.00

<BUTTON class="button add-to-cart-button" onclick="setLocation('http://www.luckygunner.com/checkout/cart/add/uenc/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5sdWNreWd1bm5lci5jb20vaGFuZGd1bi80NS1hY3AtYW1tbz9nY2xpZD1DSjNVX3AtUDRaOENGUVR4REFvZGsx SnFHZyZfX19TSUQ9VQ,,/product/254')" type=submit>Add to Cart</BUTTON>

47 In stock

Ammo Quantity - 500 rounds (50 rounds per box, 10 boxes per case)
Ammo Manufacturer - Tula Cartridge Works
Bullets - 230 grain full metal jacket (FMJ)
Ammo Casings - Boxer primed steel case Learn More (http://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-230-grain-fmj-tula-500-rounds)

TrebMaxx
02-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Don't know what this would cost to ship but it's at .34 a round before shipping.

http://static.luckygunner.com:8080/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x135/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/6/8/682205997_45apc_1_1.jpg (http://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-230-grain-fmj-tula-500-rounds)
45 ACP - 230 Grain FMJ - Tula - 500 Rounds (http://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-230-grain-fmj-tula-500-rounds)

$170.00 As low as: $160.00

<BUTTON class="button add-to-cart-button" onclick="setLocation('http://www.luckygunner.com/checkout/cart/add/uenc/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5sdWNreWd1bm5lci5jb20vaGFuZGd1bi80NS1hY3AtYW1tbz9nY2xpZD1DSjNVX3AtUDRaOENGUVR4REFvZGsx SnFHZyZfX19TSUQ9VQ,,/product/254')" type=submit>Add to Cart</BUTTON>

47 In stock

Ammo Quantity - 500 rounds (50 rounds per box, 10 boxes per case)
Ammo Manufacturer - Tula Cartridge Works
Bullets - 230 grain full metal jacket (FMJ)
Ammo Casings - Boxer primed steel case Learn More (http://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-230-grain-fmj-tula-500-rounds)

.319 cents a round.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6511378&postcount=18

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I reload for everything I own except for rimfires and 410's. I've been reloading for 20 years give or take and have never had a problem with any round I have ever made. It's not something that you take lightly though because if you do screw up you can end up with a barrel that looks like that. have been pricing components for 45acp for a buddy and can come up with a price of about $15-18 a box for plinking material or $25 a box for a HP home defense type load. Dies are $35-40.

You can do WAY BETTER than that.

I use Missouri Bullet Company bullets. http://www.missouribullet.com/
I just pick them up straight from the factory when I am in the KC area to save shipping costs.

185 grain LSWC's are $33.00 per 500.
Winchester Large Pistol Primers are $27.00 per 1000
Winchester 231 Powder is $20.00 per pound (7,000 grains in a pound and my load uses 5.4 grains - that makes about 1,300)
I've never paid for brass. I just pick it up at the range.

That equals 11 cents a round or $5.65 a box.

One other suggestion, if you do reload for .45ACP, I highly recommend getting a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 04:12 PM
One other thing you can try...
I've personally never done it because I load my own, but I have heard good things about this company - http://mastercast.net/amo.htm

You send them your empty brass, and they send you discounted ammunition in return. Its $8.30 for 230 grain round nose. $7.90 for 200 grain LSWC. They have other options as well.

Otter
02-07-2010, 04:26 PM

I don't care if this is a stupid question - is 10mm that much better than 9mm as far as stopping power?

Frazod
02-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Well, I'm off to the range. :bang:

Well, that was fun.

Beretta shoots fine, but I was a bit rusty. I definitely need to hit the range more often.

TrebMaxx
02-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I've personally never done it because I load my own, but I have heard good things about this company - http://mastercast.net/amo.htm

You send them your empty brass, and they send you discounted ammunition in return. Its $8.30 for 230 grain round nose. $7.90 for 200 grain LSWC. They have other options as well.

Nice find! :thumb: Rep worthy!

Frazod
02-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Oh, they actually had Beretta magazines at the gun store. It was a bit more expensive, but I went ahead and bought one just so I won't have to wait.

Not so with the ammo - lowest price was $30 for a box of 50. Fuck that. I'll definitely order the ammo online.

TrebMaxx
02-07-2010, 04:35 PM

I wish they had .223. Feeding my AR is getting expensive.

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't care if this is a stupid question - is 10mm that much better than 9mm as far as stopping power?

YES. Most 9mm loads are 115 grain, 124 grain, or 147 grain. Many people consider the 124 grain load the best. The ceiling on that 124 grain load is about 1220 feet per second (and this falls into the +P designation, so not all 9mm's can shoot it, though most will).

10mm can be loaded from 135 grains all the way up to 200. The "best" defense load is probably the 180 grain, which has a muzzle velocity of 1180ish feet per second.

The 10mm shoots a larger diameter projectile, that is significantly heavier, at the same damn speed. It is sick. The 10mm basically replicates .357 magnum loads that can be shot out of an autoloader.

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 04:37 PM

I noticed Cabela's has that on sale this week. (at least at my local store, I'm assumings its a national thing).

Otter
02-07-2010, 04:42 PM
YES. Most 9mm loads are 115 grain, 124 grain, or 147 grain. Many people consider the 124 grain load the best. The ceiling on that 124 grain load is about 1220 feet per second (and this falls into the +P designation, so not all 9mm's can shoot it, though most will).

10mm can be loaded from 135 grains all the way up to 200. The "best" defense load is probably the 180 grain, which has a muzzle velocity of 1180ish feet per second.

The 10mm shoots a larger diameter projectile, that is significantly heavier, at the same damn speed. It is sick. The 10mm basically replicates .357 magnum loads that can be shot out of an autoloader.

Wow. I've been carrying a 9mm with hydroshock loads for protection. I may have to research this a bit.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 06:01 PM
If this helps...the 10mm is to the .40 caliber what a .357 is to the .38. Pretty much the same lead (bullet) with a longer case holding more powder.

Kerberos
02-07-2010, 06:38 PM

If this helps...the 10mm is to the .40 caliber what a .357 is to the .38. Pretty much the same lead (bullet) with a longer case holding more powder.

In the picture the rounds are as listed here. The 9X25Dillon is a 10MM shell necked down to a 9mm. Guys using it say it has unbelievable velosity.

10MM 9X25Dillon 40CAL 357Sig 9mm

petegz28
02-07-2010, 07:14 PM

No shit! I picked up some range ammo for the Mini-14 and it was $10 for 20 rounds.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 07:38 PM
IF you're going to spend $10/20 for .223, get some of this (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP223HP75&groupid=21). This stuff rocks. They've got range ammo at that link, but I really like this Prvi 75 grain match, goes where it's supposed to.

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
IF you're going to spend $10/20 for .223, get some of this (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP223HP75&groupid=21). This stuff rocks. They've got range ammo at that link, but I really like this Prvi 75 grain match, goes where it's supposed to.

If you have a 1 in 7 barrel twist rate, that "heavier" stuff should shoot really well for you. But if you have a 1 in 12 (or anything similar designed for varmints), those bullets won't stabilize.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-07-2010, 08:29 PM
A valid point, I think mine is 1 in 8, but the gun really likes 'em.

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Yes

Donger
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM

$0.50 for a bullet? Does it do anything special, like play a cute little tune when it's fired or something? Carl Orff's O Fortuna maybe?

Bane
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
$0.50 for a bullet? Does it do anything special, like play a cute little tune or something? Carl Orff's O Fortuna maybe?

Yeah its really neat.You point and squeeze the trigger and whatever is in my sights,ceases to live very rapidly.The rounds I shoot through my Remington 30.06 are right at $1 per round.

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
$0.50 for a bullet? Does it do anything special, like play a cute little tune when it's fired or something? Carl Orff's O Fortuna maybe?

No, it blows large ****ing holes in douche bags. 50 cents = dead douche = sweet deal.

Bwana
02-07-2010, 09:17 PM
YES. 10mm can be loaded from 135 grains all the way up to 200. The "best" defense load is probably the 180 grain, which has a muzzle velocity of 1180ish feet per second.

Try 230 grain.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_25

Bane
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
No, it blows large ****ing holes in douche bags. 50 cents = dead douche = sweet deal.

Yeah like its a big deal to shoot $1 rounds out of a $1,100 gun.ROFL

Donger
02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah its really neat.You point and squeeze the trigger and whatever is in my sights,ceases to live very rapidly.The rounds I shoot through my Remington 30.06 are right at $1 pre round.

I had no idea. I presume that there are some taxes involved?

What does a .22 round cost?

Bane
02-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I had no idea. I presume that there are some taxes involved?

What does a .22 round cost?

You can get 50 rounds just about anywhere for $10 or less.I've seen 500 round boxes on sale for $20 before as well.Depends on how picky you are.I'm not shooting dirt cheap ammo out of a $1000 gun,sorry.

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 09:24 PM
.22 long rifle rounds cost about 3 cents when you buy them in bulk.

Donger
02-07-2010, 09:41 PM
.22 long rifle rounds cost about 3 cents when you buy them in bulk.

So why is a .45 caliber round so much more expensive? Quality of the gunpowder? Higher taxes on the bigger round?

Frazod
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
So why is a .45 caliber round so much more expensive? Quality of the gunpowder? Higher taxes on the bigger round?

Are you seriously asking this?

TrebMaxx
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Plus supply and demand.

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
the .45 caliber round has SIGNIFICANTLY more components. The rounds are constructed entirely different. .22 rounds are rimfire. There is a tiny paste of primer compound that is cheap as heck to manufacture in the rim of the cartridge. .45's are centerfire. They use a more expensive (but significantly more reliable) primer. A typical .22 bullet is 36 or 40 grains. So there isn't much lead at all. A typical .45 round is 230 grains. A .45 isn't twice the size of a .22, it is about 6 times the size. .45 uses more gun powder, more brass, more lead. Throw in the engineering behind any hollow point design, and that drives the cost of .45's up even higher.

There isn't a special tax on higher caliber bullets.

Donger
02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Are you seriously asking this?

Yes. I don't know anything about bullets.

Donger
02-07-2010, 09:47 PM
the .45 caliber round has SIGNIFICANTLY more components. The rounds are constructed entirely different. .22 rounds are rimfire. There is a tiny paste of primer compound that is cheap as heck to manufacture in the rim of the cartridge. .45's are centerfire. They use a more expensive (but significantly more reliable) primer. A typical .22 bullet is 36 or 40 grains. So there isn't much lead at all. A typical .45 round is 230 grains. A .45 isn't twice the size of a .22, it is about 6 times the size. .45 uses more gun powder, more brass, more lead. Throw in the engineering behind any hollow point design, and that drives the cost of .45's up even higher.

There isn't a special tax on higher caliber bullets.

Thanks very much. A very thorough answer.

Bane
02-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Because when you squeeze off a .22 round it pops like popcorn and you may kill a bird, or a cat.When you squeeze off a .45 round the ground shakes and things suffer massive blood loss,blunt force trauma and die.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
The .45acp uses 230 grains of lead, the .22 uses 40 grains (generic rounds) and the amount of powder is proportionally larger, as is the amount of brass involved. Those ingredients cost money, the cost of lead for instance has gone up since the peasants in China all started buying cars w/a battery apiece. There's only so much lead to go around.
There's also some of the old 'what the market will bear' involved, as people who carry a .45 will pay up for good self defense ammo for said .45. This good self defense stuff is 'must fire every time' grade, and costs more, while .22's are often generic ammo for 'plinking'. Designed to make a tin can dance instead of stop a goblin. Failure is acceptable (not embraced, but it happens). QC costs, too.