penguinz
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
One of the worst half time shows ever.

Buck
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Hardly.

beach tribe
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Not a big fan but.......Not really, no. I've seen much worse. I was at the Pro Bowl, and my God, THAT was the worst half time show ever.

TrebMaxx
02-08-2010, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't say the worse but is was poor.

Gracie Dean
02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
It was okay, but they were a little off. Pete must have been drinking

L.A. Chieffan
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
i was pissed they didnt smash their instruments. bullshit

blaise
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Tommy was glad he was deaf, dumb and blind when it came on.

KCUnited
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Made Springsteen look like Kid Rock.

beach tribe
It was okay, but they were a little off. Pete must have been drinking

"They're a 135 years old" Of course they were off. Roger Daltry has fried his vocal chords like a strip of bacon, and they are still better than 9 out of the 10 crap bands that are out today.

Donger
I think they did fine for a collection of geriatrics.

blaise
Chevy Chase thought they looked old.

Garcia Bronco
02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Peter Townsend sucks.

Donger
02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Peter Townsend sucks.

Hide your young.

Extra Point
02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
The commercials were terrible, but the HT show was passable, considering that Townsend probably had to get jump started prior to the show. They had to cut out a lot of the program. Nice payroll for 10 or so mins of tunes, I guess. I got what I paid for.

RJ
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I think they sounded pretty good considering half the original band is dead.

wild1
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Tommy was glad he was deaf, dumb and blind when it came on.

ROFL

Inspector
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I kept looking for the nipple display.

Have they done away with that now?

Fish
02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Why did they keep showing shots of the drummer that nobody knew? The one that was 84 years younger than the rest of the band....

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
The Who is one of my all-time favorite bands. I have long and loudly proclaimed them the Greatest Rock Band in History. I am a Who homer to the max.

Yeah, the guys were, uh, "ragged." I totally expected that. It would've been better if they had simply shown concert footage from 1973 or 75. I still enjoyed seeing them; I'm glad they got the "honor" of the SB (I seriously doubt Yes or Genesis will). I thought the stage design was fantastic. That alone, IMO, kept it from being one of the worst halftime shows ever.

siberian khatru
Why did they keep showing shots of the drummer that nobody knew? The one that was 84 years younger than the rest of the band....

Zak Starkey, son of Ringo.

siberian khatru

And the other half just looks and sounds that way.

tyton75
02-08-2010, 11:21 AM
the Stage design was cool.. but it almost just looked like they pulled a couple of drunk old geezers out of the stands and gave one a Mic and the other a guitar

kstater
02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Abe Vigoda appeared twice last night. Once in a commercial, once singing at halftime.

JD10367
02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
"They're a 135 years old" Of course they were off. Roger Daltry has fried his vocal chords like a strip of bacon, and they are still better than 9 out of the 10 crap bands that are out today.

Look up "hyperbole" in the dictionary. I would rather see a current hip band that actually sounds good. Hell, I'd rather have an old 70s/80s band that actually sounds good.

I know they're old. I appreciate that they can still walk around without needing a Hoverchair and an Emergency Alert Necklace and Depends. That doesn't mean they're still any good. I can appreciate an 80-year-old woman who was once a beautiful Playboy centerfold, but that doesn't mean I want to ogle her coochie NOW.

There are plenty of "old guys" who can still carry a tune and play a note. Eric Clapton. Jeff Beck. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons of Kiss. Aerosmith. Yes. Rush. Roger Waters. Ian Anderson and Martin Barre of Jethro Tull. Paul McCartney. Elton John. You can go on and on.

The bottom line is, The Who sounded like shit. Daltrey was out of tune, Townsend played like he was drunk (for crissake he was hitting his guitar at odd points when he wasn't even supposed to), and they basically were awful. A Who cover band would've sounded more like The Who than they did.

Now, how much of that can be attributed to age, and how much to alcohol or simply bad soundboard people, we don't know. Maybe they couldn't hear themselves; the Super Bowl doesn't exactly provide the endless practice time and well-oiled roadie team that a traveling band has.

I love The Who. But I won't knobslobber them just because they USED to sound good. They don't give brownie points to musicians for what they used to sound like. If you can no longer sing and no longer play, then save us the ear pain and don't try.

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 11:23 AM
the Stage design was cool.. but it almost just looked like they pulled a couple of drunk old geezers out of the stands and gave one a Mic and the other a guitar

Quick story: In 73 at the Cow Palace, Keith Moon passed out on stage. The band asked the audience, "Can anybody here play drums?" Some young guy in front said "I can!" and they brought him up and he finished the set with Pete coaching him. He did OK.

BigRedChief
02-08-2010, 11:23 AM
the Stage design was cool.. but it almost just looked like they pulled a couple of drunk old geezers out of the stands and gave one a Mic and the other a guitarthere was a vegas betting line of who would fall and break a hip first?

Fish
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Zak Starkey, son of Ringo.

I'll be damned..... thanks...

I thought he was just some young douchebag with bad hair stealing camera time from the old fellas....

Mr. Laz
02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
One of the worst threads ever

JD10367
02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Quick story: In 73 at the Cow Palace, Keith Moon passed out on stage. The band asked the audience, "Can anybody here play drums?" Some young guy in front said "I can!" and they brought him up and he finished the set with Pete coaching him. He did OK.

And then he exploded into flames? /SpinalTapMode

blaise
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
They're only half as painful to watch as the CBS studio halftime show.

Bearcat
Since it was pre-recorded, they should have just taken the songs from their albums. ;)

JohninGpt

You're right, they would have sounded better if the other half were new also.

Reaper16
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
They should just rotate Prince and Tom Petty for the next ten years and be done with it. Those were the only good halftime shows that I can even remember.

L.A. Chieffan
02-08-2010, 11:28 AM
They should just rotate Prince and Tom Petty for the next ten years and be done with it. Those were the only good halftime shows that I can even remember.

i guess its just coincidence that they also have a reputation of putting on the best live shows as well

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Well at least they avoided the irony of playing "My Generation," and have Daltrey sing Townshend's line, "Hope I die before I get old."

Alton deFlat
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
The Who is one of my all-time favorite bands. I have long and loudly proclaimed them the Greatest Rock Band in History. I am a Who homer to the max.

:thumb:

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Tom Petty kicked some serious ass. :rockon:

DMAC
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
That drummer sucked.

You think they could have found SOMEONE with at least an 1/8 the energy of Moon.

Looked like me playin rock band drums...

Reaper16
02-08-2010, 11:36 AM
That drummer sucked.

You think they could have found SOMEONE with at least an 1/8 the energy of Moon.

Looked like me playin rock band drums...
Anyone who can play expert drums on Rock Band would have better played "Don't Get Fooled Again" than that drummer.

talastan

Yeah, the guys were, uh, "ragged." I totally expected that. It would've been better if they had simply shown concert footage from 1973 or 75. I still enjoyed seeing them; I'm glad they got the "honor" of the SB (I seriously doubt Yes or Genesis will). I thought the stage design was fantastic. That alone, IMO, kept it from being one of the worst halftime shows ever.

I'm a huge Genesis fan and I'd love to see them get a SB, though the guys probably would look ragged as well. Not to mention Phil may not be up to playing drums again for some time with his recent surgery. It would awesome though. Got to see them in 07 on their reunion tour in Chicago. Great lights and show.

beach tribe
Look up "hyperbole" in the dictionary. I would rather see a current hip band that actually sounds good. Hell, I'd rather have an old 70s/80s band that actually sounds good.

I know they're old. I appreciate that they can still walk around without needing a Hoverchair and an Emergency Alert Necklace and Depends. That doesn't mean they're still any good. I can appreciate an 80-year-old woman who was once a beautiful Playboy centerfold, but that doesn't mean I want to ogle her coochie NOW.

There are plenty of "old guys" who can still carry a tune and play a note. Eric Clapton. Jeff Beck. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons of Kiss. Aerosmith. Yes. Rush. Roger Waters. Ian Anderson and Martin Barre of Jethro Tull. Paul McCartney. Elton John. You can go on and on.

The bottom line is, The Who sounded like shit. Daltrey was out of tune, Townsend played like he was drunk (for crissake he was hitting his guitar at odd points when he wasn't even supposed to), and they basically were awful. A Who cover band would've sounded more like The Who than they did.

Now, how much of that can be attributed to age, and how much to alcohol or simply bad soundboard people, we don't know. Maybe they couldn't hear themselves; the Super Bowl doesn't exactly provide the endless practice time and well-oiled roadie team that a traveling band has.

I love The Who. But I won't knobslobber them just because they USED to sound good. They don't give brownie points to musicians for what they used to sound like. If you can no longer sing and no longer play, then save us the ear pain and don't try.

I don't even like the Who, but they were way better than "current hip" new ones who suck the penis that played at the Pro Bowl.

They are just giving the who their curtain call that they always give all the old guys who were big at one point.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of Plant, and the last time I heard him, he sounded like Daltry.
I agree they sounded like crap, but I'm sure you would have been much happier with maroon 5.

DMAC
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Anyone who can play expert drums on Rock Band would have better played "Don't Get Fooled Again" than that drummer.

ROFL I just read that it was Ringos son. That explains it.

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
BTW, I thought The Who sounded pretty good. Then again, I have a serious soft spot in my heart for their music.

Was very disappointed that Townsend didn't go ballistic at the end of the set and stick his guitar through the bass drum...........

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm a huge Genesis fan and I'd love to see them get a SB, though the guys probably would look ragged as well. Not to mention Phil may not be up to playing drums again for some time with his recent surgery. It would awesome though. Got to see them in 07 on their reunion tour in Chicago. Great lights and show.

I would've loved to see that tour, but I live in Florida and they didn't come further south than Washington, D.C. I can't believe they didn't play at least Atlanta.

They had to take the music down a key to accommodate Phil's voice, but I've seen video of that tour and they otherwise looked and sounded good. I doubt they'll tour again ... maybe a one-off here or there, but it's not looking good for the HOF because of Phil's back.

At least I've got the box sets to keep me happy for a long time. Those are awesome.

beach tribe
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Well at least they avoided the irony of playing "My Generation," and have Daltrey sing Townshend's line, "Hope I die before I get old."

LOL. I think they did play that.

kstater
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c6Io05fTLSg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c6Io05fTLSg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCqgtb3Nby4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCqgtb3Nby4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 11:42 AM
LOL. I think they did play that.

Pinball Wizard, Baba O'Riley, Who Are You, See Me Feel Me and Won't Get Fooled Again.

BigChiefFan
02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Have some respect for a band that actually stayed true to rock.

cdcox
02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Pinball Wizard, Baba O'Riley, Who Are You, See Me Feel Me and Won't Get Fooled Again.

Right at the end of the first half, before they took the stage, they played the original recorded version of My Generation with a photo montoge going from the early '60s through at least the '90s. It was a promotion for the up coming halftime show, I think.

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Right at the end of the first half, before they took the stage, they played the original recorded version of My Generation with a photo montoge going from the early '60s through at least the '90s. It was a promotion for the up coming halftime show, I think.

Ah, got it. I think I was in the kitchen then. :thumb:

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 11:48 AM

Sadly, with Entwistle dead, I can no longer listen to any version of Boris the Spider.......

cdcox
02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I also learned for the first time ever that it's "supple wrist" not "soulful wrist".

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I also learned for the first time ever that it's "supple wrist" not "soulful wrist".

Really?

JD10367
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I agree they sounded like crap, but I'm sure you would have been much happier with maroon 5.

There are 1000 current bands you can choose from. I would've been much happier with any other band that actually sounded tight and had energy.

Quick example. Here's the playlist from my local alt-rock station. Throw darts and pick three, and I'm sure they would've sounded a whole lot better and had a lot more energy. (And this is just an alt-rock station; there are a lot more classic rock, heavy metal, whatever...)

Airborne Toxic Event
Alice In Chains
Beastie Boys
Beck
Blink 182
Cage The Elephant
Chevelle
Coldplay (yes, even them)
Crash Kings
Dave Matthews Band
Fall Out Boy
Finger Eleven
Flyleaf
Foo Fighters
Franz Ferdinand
Green Day
Incubus
Jet
The Killers (and I f**king HATE them)
Kings of Leon
Linkin Park
MGMT
Manchester Orchestra
Marilyn Manson
Metric
Muse
The Offspring
Panic At The Disco
Paramore
Passion Pit
Pearl Jam
Phoenix
The Raconteurs (or The White Stripes even)
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Rise Against
Shiny Toy Guns
Silversun Pickups
Stone Temple Pilots
Switchfoot
Taking Back Sunday
Them Crooked Vultures
Third Eye Blind
Weezer
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
30 Seconds To Mars

L.A. Chieffan
02-08-2010, 11:52 AM
nickelback wouldve been waaay better

blaise
02-08-2010, 11:53 AM
There are 1000 current bands you can choose from. I would've been much happier with any other band that actually sounded tight and had energy.

Quick example. Here's the playlist from my local alt-rock station. Throw darts and pick three, and I'm sure they would've sounded a whole lot better and had a lot more energy. (And this is just an alt-rock station; there are a lot more classic rock, heavy metal, whatever...)

Airborne Toxic Event
Alice In Chains
Beastie Boys
Beck
Blink 182
Cage The Elephant
Chevelle
Crash Kings
Dave Matthews Band
Fall Out Boy
Finger Eleven
Flyleaf
Foo Fighters
Franz Ferdinand
Green Day
Incubus
Jet
Kings of Leon
Linkin Park
MGMT
Manchester Orchestra
Marilyn Manson
Metric
Muse
The Offspring
Panic At The Disco
Paramore
Passion Pit
Pearl Jam
Phoenix
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Rise Against
Shiny Toy Guns
Silversun Pickups
Stone Temple Pilots
Switchfoot
Taking Back Sunday
Them Crooked Vultures
Third Eye Blind
Weezer
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
30 Seconds To Mars

They're not worried how they sound. They're worried they'll get up there and do or say something stupid. They don't want politics, wardrobe malfunctions, etc at halftime.

beach tribe
02-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Airborne Toxic Event
Alice In Chains
Beastie Boys
Beck
Blink 182
Cage The Elephant
Chevelle
Crash Kings
Dave Matthews Band
Fall Out Boy
Finger Eleven
Flyleaf
Foo Fighters
Franz Ferdinand
Green Day
Incubus
Jet
Kings of Leon
Linkin Park
MGMT
Manchester Orchestra
Marilyn Manson
Metric
Muse
The Offspring
Panic At The Disco
Paramore
Passion Pit
Pearl Jam
Phoenix
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Rise Against
Shiny Toy Guns
Silversun Pickups
Stone Temple Pilots
Switchfoot
Taking Back Sunday
Them Crooked Vultures
Third Eye Blind
Weezer
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
30 Seconds To Mars

I like almost all of those bands, and I get you're point, but the thread states that it was the worst show ever.

Oh, you liked Timberlake, and JJ better. You should have just said so.

beach tribe
02-08-2010, 11:55 AM

LMAO.

talastan
02-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I would've loved to see that tour, but I live in Florida and they didn't come further south than Washington, D.C. I can't believe they didn't play at least Atlanta.

They had to take the music down a key to accommodate Phil's voice, but I've seen video of that tour and they otherwise looked and sounded good. I doubt they'll tour again ... maybe a one-off here or there, but it's not looking good for the HOF because of Phil's back.

At least I've got the box sets to keep me happy for a long time. Those are awesome.

Yeah the show was great! I just wish that the big five (Gabriel, Hackett, Banks, Collins, and Rutherford) would play a reunion show. I've heard that Gabriel wants to play the entire Lamb lies down on Broadway musical with a more modernized stage setup. That would be freaking incredible!! But you're right IMO with Phil's back I don't see it happening possibly ever. :shake:

Goldmember
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
The commercials were terrible, but the HT show was passable, considering that Townsend probably had to get jump started prior to the show. They had to cut out a lot of the program. Nice payroll for 10 or so mins of tunes, I guess. I got what I paid for.

Super Bowl halftime performers don't get paid for their performance, just some travel and other costs. They reap the rewards of being exposed to billions of people around the world. McCartney's music sales went up 250% after his performance.

JD10367
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I like almost all of those bands, and I get you're point, but the thread states that it was the worst show ever.

Oh, you liked Timberlake, and JJ better. You should have just said so.

At least Janet had nice tit.

kstater
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM

If by passable, you mean survived w/o breaking a hip, yes it was passable.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I think the last watchable halftime was several years ago with Aerosmith/Kid Rock/Nelly

MMXcalibur
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Lady Gaga should be headlining the next Super Bowl.

FAX
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I thought the old bastards did great. Of course, I like the band and have for a long time.

Daltry sounded good considering his age and, although Townsend missed some notes, he's never sung or played lead worth a damn, so you expect that. Besides, Townsend has achieved almost mythical status as a writer ... he's earned the right to play and sing whatever the hell he wants and he'll never give in to karaoke performances.

My main beef was that their songs are long and should stay that way ... not shortened into a medley.

FAX

jidar
02-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Really? My wife and I loved it and we aren't really even fans of the band.

In HD the laser light show and fireworks looked phenomenal and the band played some big hits. Great halftime show imo.

the Talking Can
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
never been a fan of zombie karaoke...

Bugeater
02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I thought they did great for a couple of old guys, much better than some wannabe pop star lip-syncing bulllshit.

DMAC
02-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Not that I am a big fan, but I would LOVE to see a Foo Fighters halftime show.

Dudes know how rock on stage.

Molitoth
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I thought the light show was amazing.

Bearcat
02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I thought they did great for a couple of old guys, much better than some wannabe pop star lip-syncing bulllshit.

I guess old rock star lip-syncing is still better than young pop start lip syncing... perhaps we can combine the two so we can have some decent music and boobs to stare at... is that too much to ask?

Gracie Dean
02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I would love to see Chicago or Earth Wind and Fire or even Rascal Flatts

Gracie Dean
02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I guess old rock star lip-syncing is still better than young pop start lip syncing... perhaps we can combine the two so we can have some decent music and boobs to stare at... is that too much to ask?

they didn't lip sync. They were off key in live action

DMAC
02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I would love to see Chicago or Earth Wind and Fire or even Rascal Flatts:facepalm:

Bearcat
02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
they didn't lip sync. They were off key in live action

I've read in a couple of places that it was pre-recorded, and there were a couple of pretty bad errors... not delays, but flat out not saying what was recorded.

Slainte
02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Lady Gaga should be headlining the next Super Bowl.

You pretty much have to be irrelevant for a decade or so before you're asked to headline a SB halftime. With a few obvious exceptions. And Jackson-Timberlake did that no favor...

Bugeater
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't believe it was lip-synced, and trust me I was watching pretty closely.

Bugeater
02-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I've read in a couple of places that it was pre-recorded, and there were a couple of pretty bad errors... not delays, but flat out not saying what was recorded.
I always understood it was the norm to pre-record them, but everything I was seeing was consistent with what I was hearing, I also heard Pete eff up a few times and hit strings he wasn't supposed to. If it was indeed live then they deserve a lot of credit for as good as they did, I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to pull that off.

penguinz
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I do not see how anyone could defend the performance. They looked older than they are and it was just embarrassing. The last song the lip syncing was off quite a bit at times.

Cannibal
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Townsend sucked ass. He needs to hang it up.

Reerun_KC
02-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I am very thankful I missed that joke of a Halftime show... The Who? R U freaking serious?

Frosty
02-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Actually, it was an ad for Flo TV.

Bugeater
02-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I am very thankful I missed that joke of a Halftime show... The Who? R U freaking serious?
Maybe you would enjoy something more like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e5YPiBx9MJs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e5YPiBx9MJs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cannibal
02-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Say what you will about Michael Jackson, but he was a performer.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TK0dhanq-Lo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TK0dhanq-Lo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bearcat
02-08-2010, 01:29 PM
I always understood it was the norm to pre-record them, but everything I was seeing was consistent with what I was hearing, I also heard Pete eff up a few times and hit strings he wasn't supposed to. If it was indeed live then they deserve a lot of credit for as good as they did, I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to pull that off.

The worst I saw is in the video below.. start at about 2:40. I agree though, it has to be very difficult to pull of live, and it's not like you're going to lip sync unless you have a good reason to do so... I didn't think it was nearly as bad as some are saying, but I'd rather see that than boy band crap, and I'm not even that old.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCqgtb3Nby4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCqgtb3Nby4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

luv
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
I would love to see Chicago or Earth Wind and Fire or even Rascal Flatts

At the Super Bowl?

Bugeater
02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
The worst I saw is in the video below.. start at about 2:40. I agree though, it has to be very difficult to pull of live, and it's not like you're going to lip sync unless you have a good reason to do so... I didn't think it was nearly as bad as some are saying, but I'd rather see that than boy band crap, and I'm not even that old.
Ah, didn't see that it had been posted, I'll have to take another peep at it. Joe had it cranked up (naturally) and I thought it sounded pretty damn good.

FAX
02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Carry on, haters. Pete Townsend is the poster child for "who gives a f*ck?". I have every faith that he would enjoy the critical posts a great deal.

I look at it this way; Pete Townsend kicked Abbie Hoffman's ass right off the stage at Woodstock when Abbie decided to give an impromptu sermon to the kids. For that reason alone, Townsend deserves our respect and we should let him play as long as he likes and wherever he likes.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't believe it was lip-synced, and trust me I was watching pretty closely.

The vocals and Pete's guitar were the only "Live" aspects of the Who's the performance.

The rest of the show was pre-recorded. Zak did a great job of "playing" the drums because there were edits requested by the NFL hours before the game began.

That being said, The Who kicks ass and are extremely relevant today.

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Carry on, haters. Pete Townsend is the poster child for "who gives a f*ck?". I have every faith that he would enjoy the critical posts a great deal.

I look at it this way; Pete Townsend kicked Abbie Hoffman's ass right off the stage at Woodstock when Abbie decided to give an impromptu sermon to the kids. For that reason alone, Townsend deserves our respect and we should let him play as long as he likes and wherever he likes.

FAX

"The next fucking person that gets on the stage gets fucking killed!"

Slainte
02-08-2010, 01:49 PM
The Who kicks ass and are extremely relevant today.

Yes they did back in the day, but no they aren't.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes they did back in the day, but no they aren't.

Uh, considering the fact that WGFA has been the theme song of the number television show of the past decade, along with being the theme song of two other Top 20 television shows of the past decade, I think we can consider them relevant.

Besides selling out concert venues all over the world and releasing new music.

Bugeater
02-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Heh yeah, complete lip-sync fail @ 2:47. Strange considering with how out of sync Pete and Roger appeared to be with each other on the vocals, if it was prerecorded I would've thought it would sound a lot better than it did, the fact that it sounded choppy at times sure made me think it was live. If that's all the better they could do even with prerecording the show then yeah, put me in the epic fail camp.

Bugeater
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
The vocals and Pete's guitar were the only "Live" aspects of the Who's the performance.

The rest of the show was pre-recorded.
I wondered about that as well as the keyboards sounded flawless, but like I said at the 2:47 mark it sure looks like there were words being sung that weren't coming out of Roger's mouth.

dirk digler

The rest of the show was pre-recorded. Zak did a great job of "playing" the drums because there were edits requested by the NFL hours before the game began.

That being said, The Who kicks ass and are extremely relevant today.

That is interesting I couldn't even tell but then again i wasn't really paying very close attention. Why do they pre-record?

Inspector
Abe Vigoda appeared twice last night. Once in a commercial, once singing at halftime.

ROFLROFL

Bugeater
02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
That is interesting I couldn't even tell but then again i wasn't really paying very close attention. Why do they pre-record?
The more 'live' it is, the more things there are that can go wrong, which is the last thing you want on that big of a stage.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I wondered about that as well as the keyboards sounded flawless, but like I said at the 2:47 mark it sure looks like there were words being sung that weren't coming out of Roger's mouth.

The background vocals were pre-recorded. I'd have to closely watch the video but it could have been a broadcast slip, which is very common.

The reason why the shows can't be "Live" is because there was just a football game going on and just a few minutes after they'd leave the stage, there's a football game going on.

The time it would take to properly mic and set up a stage to play for 80,000 people in an arena just doesn't exist in that environment.

Tom Petty wasn't live last year and only McCartney's vocals were live the year before.

It's all due to logistics.

Slainte
02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Uh, considering the fact that WGFA has been the theme song of the number television show of the past decade, along with being the theme song of two other Top 20 television shows of the past decade, I think we can consider them relevant.

Besides selling out concert venues all over the world and releasing new music.

Their music is popular in the culture today, yes, but when was that music--those theme songs-- recorded?

What is the latest Who studio album? What current musicians have said they're influenced by this new material? How are the reviews for this new product in the relevant trade mags?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be an ass....

Are the Who more or less relevant as Roger Waters, John Fogerty, Boston, Rolling Stones, etc...are today?

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Their music is popular in the culture today, yes, but when was that music--those theme songs-- recorded?

What is the latest Who studio album? What current musicians have said they're influenced by this new material? How are the reviews for this new product in the relevant trade mags?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be an ass....

Are the Who more or less relevant as Roger Waters, John Fogerty, Boston, Rolling Stones, etc...are today?

I don't want to turn this into a "my favorite band" thread because The Who aren't my favorite band.

But to say they're not relevant when I've given you clear reasons why they're relevant is absurd. Theme songs, sold out concert venues worldwide, new releases and playing the Super Bowl makes them relevant.

How about the MTV tribute to The Who in 2008? Are you going to tell us that The Who wasn't relevant to Pearl Jam or The Foo Fighters?

I don't think it's necessary to argue this point: If you don't like them or they're not relevant to your life, that's fine. But stating they're not relevant is just plain silly.

Hydrae
02-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Townsend sure was having a hard time with that jacket. ROFL

Donger
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Tool should play at halftime next year. That would be interesting.

Slainte
02-08-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't want to turn this into a "my favorite band" thread because The Who aren't my favorite band.

But to say they're not relevant when I've given you clear reasons why they're relevant is absurd. Theme songs, sold out concert venues worldwide, new releases and playing the Super Bowl makes them relevant.

How about the MTV tribute to The Who in 2008? Are you going to tell us that The Who wasn't relevant to Pearl Jam or The Foo Fighters?

I don't think it's necessary to argue this point: If you don't like them or they're not relevant to your life, that's fine. But stating they're not relevant is just plain silly.

I'm actually a fan, big time...esp Townshend.

We're at odds at the point we're each trying to make. No probs, tho.

At least we don't have to argue the relevancy of Payton Manning, do we?...

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Tool should play at halftime next year. That would be interesting.

Maynard would never "lower" himself into playing such a bourgeois affair as the Super Bowl.

dirk digler
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
The more 'live' it is, the more things there are that can go wrong, which is the last thing you want on that big of a stage.

I guess though these guys have played live their entire lives so I guess I don't get it. Rock bands are supposed to play live mistakes and all that is why it is awesome.

DaneMcCloud
At least we don't have to argue the relevancy of Peyton Manning, do we?...

Absolutely not

:D

Donger
Maynard would never "lower" himself into playing such a bourgeois affair as the Super Bowl.

That's why it would be interesting.

Donger
02-08-2010, 02:13 PM
So the Who's performance wasn't completely live, and it STILL sounded like that?

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I guess though these guys have played live their entire lives so I guess I don't get it. Rock bands are supposed to play live mistakes and all that is why it is awesome.

There is absolutely no way to move a stage out onto the middle of a football field, run sound checks, monitor checks, in-ear checks, line feeds to the networks, etc. and have a band play a set, all in the span of 20 minutes.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
So the Who's performance wasn't completely live, and it STILL sounded like that?

I didn't hear any issues, musically speaking. Roger hit some clunkers - big deal.

At least his vocals weren't auto-tuned.

RJ
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
The Super Bowl is all about Big.

The Who, Stones, U2, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson, McCartney, Springsteen......they're all Big. Your favorite band that is so much better than The Who isn't Big and won't be doing any Super Bowl shows.

Incidentally, at New Orleans in 1970, the halftime performer was Carol Channing and the theme was a tribute to Mardi Gras.

And then there was Up With People. Those shows almost made me hate white folks, and that would have been difficult for me.

Donger
02-08-2010, 02:18 PM
I didn't hear any issues, musically speaking. Roger hit some clunkers - big deal.

I missed the first song (Pinball Wizard) but just watched and listened to it. It sounded like Pete and Roger were singing different songs in parts.

dirk digler
02-08-2010, 02:20 PM
There is absolutely no way to move a stage out onto the middle of a football field, run sound checks, monitor checks, in-ear checks, line feeds to the networks, etc. and have a band play a set, all in the span of 20 minutes.

I guess that is true.

Thig Lyfe
02-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Beastie Boys

This needs to happen.

Thig Lyfe
02-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Also, I know the suits would be too scared of controversy for this to happen, but Kanye West is pretty much perfect. All of his live performances already look like they should be SB halftime shows anyway.

stevieray
02-08-2010, 02:28 PM

no kidding...that crap gets on my nerves.

dirk digler
Since the wardrobe incident they have went all old people.

Next year should be Kanye West and Enimem :D

Bugeater
I don't mean hitting the wrong note or something like that, I'm talking more like a technical glitch. If something like that happens at a concert, only a few thousand people see it and the concert may get delayed a bit. If it happens during the Super Bowl the whole world sees it and there isn't time to fix anything. Plus there's the whole thing about it being logistically impossible anyway as Dane mentioned.

jAZ
02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
One of the worst half time shows ever.

Two words: Carol Channing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_halftime_shows)

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm actually a fan, big time...esp Townshend.

We're at odds at the point we're each trying to make. No probs, tho.

At least we don't have to argue the relevancy of Payton Manning, do we?...

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/rock_honors/_2008/

In case you haven't seen that show, it's awesome.

I had a ticket but couldn't go. Pearl Jam and the Foo's were incredible.

Frazod
02-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Since the wardrobe incident they have went all old people.

Next year should be Kanye West and Enimem :D

Maybe they could pummel each other to death with their microphones.

teedubya
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed The Who. They were FAR from the shittiest halftime show ever.

Sure they are old... but they brought as much thunder as they could bring.

Color me impressed.

dirk digler
02-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Maybe they could pummel each other to death with their microphones.

LMAO

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed The Who. They were FAR from the shittiest halftime show ever.

Sure they are old... but they brought as much thunder as they could bring.

Color me impressed.

Can believe those fuckers are both ~65?

I was impressed:clap:

FAX
02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I think the difference of opinion is derived (partially, at least) by the fact that, for some people, it's all about the single, halftime performance. Was it perfectly executed? If not, they suck.

But, The Who fans will cut them some slack because, for them, watching The Who perform is like reading a page from rock & roll history. They recognize The Who as a landmark band whose influence on the current iteration of the rock genre runs so broad and so deep, it can no longer be easily isolated. I hesitate to use the description, "artistically significant" to describe a rock group, but if ever applied, it does in this case. I happen to be one of those people who recognize their contribution as vitally important to the maturity of rock. That's why, to me, it's just enjoyable and cool to see them perform even though, at their age, I don't expect "Live At Leeds".

FAX

teedubya
02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Can believe those fuckers are both ~65?

I was impressed:clap:

No shit, I almost added that as a byline... I hope to rock that hard in 29 years when Im 65.

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I think the difference of opinion is derived (partially, at least) by the fact that, for some people, it's all about the single, halftime performance. Was it perfectly executed? If not, they suck.

But, The Who fans will cut them some slack because, for them, watching The Who perform is like reading a page from rock & roll history. They recognize The Who as a landmark band whose influence on the current iteration of the rock genre runs so broad and so deep, it can no longer be easily isolated. I hesitate to use the description, "artistically significant" to describe a rock group, but if ever applied, it does in this case. I happen to be one of those people who recognize their contribution as vitally important to the maturity of rock. That's why, to me, it's just enjoyable and cool to see them perform even though, at their age, I don't expect "Live At Leeds".

FAX
:clap:

teedubya
02-08-2010, 02:49 PM
penguinz...

The worst poster ever. (except for his avatar)

Rain Man
02-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I really liked the lights, and thought that part was pretty cool. It seemed like the singers didn't have the power they needed, and my wife and I both wondered whether The Who was still performing live, because it didn't seem like they had a lot of voice. What do I know, though? It was way better than having some rap singer on there.

Mr. Plow
02-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Watched about 3 minutes of it, then decided to get some food. I've never really cared for the halftime shows.

tooge
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Petty was good. U2 was better. Lookup footage of the U2 halftime show in 02 or 03. It was pretty damn good. Prince I could care less for.

Thig Lyfe
02-08-2010, 02:55 PM
It was way better than having some rap singer on there.

Darn those rippity rappers, with their hippin' and their hoppin' and their razzum frazzum Jell-o PUD-DINGGG!

mikeyis4dcats.
at least they quit trying to herd 500 fans onto the field as an audience

Brock
Foo Fighters would be worthy.

DeepPurple
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I really liked the WHO show, I thought they were awesome. I would say the best acts over recent years were Prince, U2 and the WHO last night. Maybe it's because I have many WHO live DVD's, plus Woodstock and a Pete Townshend DVD so I knew what to expect and they fulfilled my expectations.

I thought Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and Paul McCartney were a little too safe and somewhat boring. Aerosmith with some rap group was unwatchable and No Doubt with Shania Twain was just plain hideous. The Rolling Stones were totally lame and Janet Jackson/Timberlake made me sick. Going back more than ten years I can't remember anything outstanding except for Michael Jackson in the early 90's.

Brock
02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
There were times last night when I was wondering what song that is Pete Townshend is playing.

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 03:02 PM

FAX

Preach it, brother.

Jilly
02-08-2010, 03:03 PM
who played last year? I thought it was awful. Was it Aerosmith? Ugh, it was horrible. I didn't think last night's was half bad really, but I like the Who

dirk digler
02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I think next year should be Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
who played last year? I thought it was awful. Was it Aerosmith? Ugh, it was horrible. I didn't think last night's was half bad really, but I like the Who

Bruce Springsteen, stein, stien

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Joe Piscopo FTW!

Mr. Laz
02-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I do not see how anyone could defend the performance. They looked older than they are and it was just embarrassing. The last song the lip syncing was off quite a bit at times.
i don't see how anyone could get so worked up about a halftime performance to feel the need to bitch about it.

Jilly
02-08-2010, 03:12 PM

oh that's right....UGH...

Frazod
02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I didn't even watch it - part of my personal protest against the endless overblown piece of shit the Super Bowl has become. I just watch the game. That's it.

stevieray
02-08-2010, 03:19 PM

FAX
yup, it reminds me of being at the Page/Plant show at Red Rocks and the guy behind me complaining that he came to hear Led Zeppelin.

Mr. Laz
02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
i don't care what any of you screeching bitches say, listening to The Who at 50% is still better than listening to 100% of DJ Pizzle, JZ freshie fresh or any of the other asshats that like to rhyme a bunch of random words with ripped off ... err, sorry "SAMPLED" sound tracks and try and pass it off as music.

Pablo
02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
i don't care what any of you screeching bitches say, listening to The Who at 50% is still better than listening to 100% of DJ Pizzle, JZ freshie fresh or any of the other asshats that like to rhyme a bunch of random words with ripped off ... err, sorry "SAMPLED" sound tracks and try and pass it off as music.Jay Z and/or Beyonce would have put on a much more enjoyable half-time show.

But all that damn rhyming stuff might upset 50+ year olds...

Jilly
02-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Jay Z and/or Beyonce would have put on a much more enjoyable half-time show.

But all that damn rhyming stuff might upset 50+ year olds...

As long as it's not Charles Barkley doing the rhyming, it's cool.

Luke
02-08-2010, 03:31 PM
With the passing of age it is only natural that "Big name" rock bands are becoming fewer. Townsend and Daltry are the remains of the Who most of us old guys grew up listening to and trying to copy playing in garage bands. The list grows shorter every year. Hopefully we will not have to endure an Elton John show.
Myself, I have always been impressed with how tight Billy Joels band is live.

If Grahm Parsons were still around I would like to see the Flying Burrito Brothers, but I would exspect to see Chicago and the We are the world singers next year.

If I were to grade the Who's performance last night I would give the a c.....
meeee

hear meeee
touch meee,
arrrgghh!!!

vailpass
02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Also, I know the suits would be too scared of controversy for this to happen, but Kanye West is pretty much perfect. All of his live performances already look like they should be SB halftime shows anyway.

That sound you hear is revenue running away.

DeepPurple
02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
...but I would exspect to see Chicago and the We are the world singers next year.Actually Chicago and Earth, Wind & Fire toured together about five years ago, and the L.A. show was released on DVD called "Live at the Greek Theater". I highly recommend it for fans of either band.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ZDGDPN4ML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The best kick ass rockers were Grand Funk Railroad, but unfortunately after the 1998 reunion tour they parted ways again.

I'd say the one act that could maybe suit both the old and young might be Pearl Jam.

KCChiefsMan
02-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I would rather have listened to that than most of today's popular bands like nickleback....

Thig Lyfe
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
i don't care what any of you screeching bitches say, listening to The Who at 50% is still better than listening to 100% of DJ Pizzle, JZ freshie fresh or any of the other asshats that like to rhyme a bunch of random words with ripped off ... err, sorry "SAMPLED" sound tracks and try and pass it off as music.

ROFL

DJ Pizzle? JZ freshie fresh?

You are the oldest, whitest man in the world.

FAX
02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I got capped in the ass and I was feeling punky
When the Super Bowl called and wanted my funky
So I gassed the short and called my peeps
I woke em up you know they need they sleeps

And we went down to the Super Bowl
Nearly froze my dick it was so cole
And things got bad, then they got worsen
"Cause the man say there won't be no cursin

So I said screw it let's score some tree
And shoot somebody as long as it's not me
I ain't no sell out. My sh*t is real
So they hired The Who for their Super deal

That pissed me off. I was in a rage
So I went back and jumped up on the stage
I told that Pete guy I'm a star
Then he knocked me loopy with his guitar

I ain't goin back I'll tell you now
The Super Bowl ain't super anyhow
Besides I can't drive down there
'Cause I'm in intensive care

FAX

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
The best kick ass rockers were Grand Funk Railroad, but unfortunately after the 1998 reunion tour they parted ways again.

I love GFR

Pablo
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
ROFL

You are the oldest, whitest man in the world.He forgot all about Snoopy diggity Dog Dog.

Mr. Laz
02-08-2010, 04:11 PM
ROFL

You are the oldest, whitest man in the world.
thanks!!!

:)

DBOSHO
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
jim rome thinks they get a pass just cause theyre old.

aturnis
02-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Better than the '98 thru 2004 halftime shows.

MOhillbilly
02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I love GFR

in

ChiTown
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
jim rome thinks they get a pass just cause theyre old.

Jim Rome is a half-pint douche bag.

RACK ME!!111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

RJ
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM

FAX

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Bravo sir, well said.

Rain Man
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM

Yeah, because there's nothing better during a massive live broadcast with a tight turnaround than having a performer who can never be trusted to do what he's supposed to be doing or to not make an idiotic statement in front of everybody.

DrRyan
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM

This would be a slam to Springsteen. Kid Rock is hands down the worst live performer that I have ever seen.

Deberg_1990
02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I didn't even watch it - part of my personal protest against the endless overblown piece of shit the Super Bowl has become. I just watch the game. That's it.

I miss the days when shows like "In Living Color" would pull halftime gimmicks to steal the audience. Brilliant stuff.

Baby Lee
02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Didn't pay a lot of attention to it, but wasn't it;

The CBS SUperbowl half time show, featuring, the Theme to CBS' CSI, followed by the Theme to CBS' CSI Miami, rounded out with the Theme to CBS' CSI New York?

Maybe next time, they can recruit Charlie Sheen et al to sing 'Man Man Manly Men, ooh-ah-ooohooohh!!!'

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 04:53 PM

They were down here to play a seafood festival last fall. I think two (?) original members were left. Not enough to get me to go. I saw Styx instead (although they have just two left as well, although original bassist Chuck Panozzo made a guest appearance late in the show). They actually were really good.

Foreigner is coming here this spring, and they're down to just Mick Jones.

Hell, even Yes is without Jon Anderson these days.

Cannibal
02-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Jim Rome is a half-pint douche bag.

RACK ME!!111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

Everett should have crushed his skull.

Demonpenz
02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Oddly enough this thread could be merged with the Pervert web page a couple pages back

gblowfish
02-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Super Bowl 45: Lawrence Welk Orchestra does Velvet Underground Tunes!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i48BP1PUoFI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i48BP1PUoFI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Simple Math:

The Who - Keith Moon = Weak Sauce

For example one of their only hits after his death his, "You better, you bet." Compare that to even "Don't Get Fooled Again," which came out ONE YEAR before, and the differences are sickeningly drastic. They lost their soul when Moon died, kind of like Zeppelin did. Only Zeppelin actually realized this and stopped making albums.

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Simple Math:

They never recovered from it.

Kenny Jones, IMO, was the wrong choice to replace him. In the early 90s they played with Simon Phillips, who I thought was a much better fit (plus, he already was one of my all-time favorite drummers).

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Peter Townsend sucks.

Your mother sucks.

Heard to beat.

Or, or, watching Townsend shove a guitar up that singer from Nickelback's annoying ass.

This.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 05:31 PM
They lost their soul when Moon died, kind of like Zeppelin did.

I don't agree with this statement, at all.

Pete Townshend IS The Who.

Without HIM, they would cease to exist.

He is their creative force and a true musical visionary.

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't agree with this statement, at all.

Pete Townshend IS The Who.

Without HIM, they would cease to exist.

He is their creative force and a true musical visionary.

This is like saying Jimmy Page IS Led Zeppelin, and it wouldn't matter if they had Bonham or not.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
This is like saying Jimmy Page IS Led Zeppelin, and it wouldn't matter if they had Bonham or not.

Page didn't write every piece of music or every lyric. Page didn't demo every single song in his home studio, playing all the instruments himself, then let the band "add their thing".

I don't think you know much about Pete Townshend.

And Led Zeppelin could have easily survived the death of John Bonham.

They chose to disband instead of continuing to work together.

Furthermore, Jimmy Page has been auditioning singers to replace Robert Plant for the past 18 months because he wants to do a worldwide tour as Led Zeppelin.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Didn't pay a lot of attention to it, but wasn't it;

The CBS SUperbowl half time show, featuring, the Theme to CBS' CSI, followed by the Theme to CBS' CSI Miami, rounded out with the Theme to CBS' CSI New York?

Maybe next time, they can recruit Charlie Sheen et al to sing 'Man Man Manly Men, ooh-ah-ooohooohh!!!'

Corporate synergy, baby.

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Page didn't write every piece of music or every lyric. Page didn't demo every single song in his home studio, playing all the instruments himself, then let the band "add their thing".

I don't think you know much about Pete Townshend.

And Led Zeppelin could have easily survived the death of John Bonham.

They chose to disband instead of continuing to work together.

Furthermore, Jimmy Page has been auditioning singers to replace Robert Plant for the past 18 months because he wants to do a worldwide tour as Led Zeppelin.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on composition and not enough on performance. Its quite possible for two different musicians to play the same exact piece of music and sound entirely different than each other.

I don't understand how you can listen to The Kids are Alright, then hear Face Dances and not hear a difference. The earlier stuff with Moon was just better.

And replacing Robert Plant would be a FAIL of beyond epic proportions. They've been smart enough to treat the group as a whole to this point. I don't know why they'd stop now, other than for money.

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
BTW, does anyone remember this? LOL

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/12/1041990179285.html

Donger
02-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Just as Stan Ridgway was Wall of Voodoo.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I think you are putting too much emphasis on composition and not enough on performance.

And I think that you don't have a clue as to you're talking about.

The Who without Pete Townshend would absolutely cease to exist.

Its quite possible for two different musicians to play the same exact piece of music and sound entirely different than each other.

And it's just as easy to find people that emulate that same musical performance perfectly.

If Townshend "made a mistake", it was by not choosing someone who could easily emulate Keith Moon's style, which by the way, Zak Starkey does just fine.

I don't understand how you can listen to The Kids are Alright, then hear Face Dances and not hear a difference. The earlier stuff with Moon was just better.

That's your opinion. And BTW, it's called growing and changing.

Not many artists care to stay in the same vein for decades on end, especially artists like Townshend.

And replacing Robert Plant would be a FAIL of beyond epic proportions. They've been smart enough to treat the group as a whole to this point. I don't know why they'd stop now, other than for money.

How about for the love of that music? Page toured with the Black Crowes a few years back and they played many songs from the Zeppelin catalog, but Jimmy wants to put the band back together. Plant has no intention of touring with Zeppelin, so he's looking for alternatives. Big deal.

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 06:05 PM
And I think that you don't know what you're talking about.

The Who without Pete Townshend would absolutely cease to exist.

If Townshend "made a mistake", it was by not choosing someone who could easily emulate Keith Moon's style, which by the way, Zak Starkey does just fine.

That's your opinion. And BTW, it's called growing and changing.

Not many artists care to stay in the same vein for decades on end, especially artists like Townshend.

How about for the love of that music? Page toured with the Black Crowes a few years back and they played many songs from the Zeppelin catalog, but Jimmy wants to put the band back together. Plant has no intention of touring with Zeppelin, so he's looking for alternatives. Big deal.

This is futile. A band is a GROUP. You can replace people and that's all fine and good. But the music DOES suffer. And a drummer is a CRUCIAL part of a band. Just because someone doesn't sing doesn't mean they can't be replaced. Even the bassist provides a unique sound. Look at Flea.

I cannot disagree with you enough about musicians being plug and play. That's insanity, even if they are not part of the creative process.

And you can't get Led Zeppelin back together, because Led Zeppelin is a group. If half of the people are no longer in the group, well, then its not really Led Zeppelin, is it? Call it something else.

cdcox
02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I cannot disagree with you enough about musicians being plug and play. That's insanity, even if they are not part of the creative process.

Steely Dan disagrees.

penchief
02-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Super Bowl 45: Lawrence Welk Orchestra does Velvet Underground Tunes!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i48BP1PUoFI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i48BP1PUoFI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ha! The Velvet Underground kick ass! Another one of my all-time favorites. The Welk Orchestra was really jamming on that song.

penchief
02-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Simple Math:

For example one of their only hits after his death his, "You better, you bet." Compare that to even "Don't Get Fooled Again," which came out ONE YEAR before, and the differences are sickeningly drastic. They lost their soul when Moon died, kind of like Zeppelin did. Only Zeppelin actually realized this and stopped making albums.

Although I think Keith Moon is the greatest drummer that ever lived I don't know if you can blame last night on his absence. I saw them live at the Cotton Bowl in the late eighties and it was the best concert I'd witnessed up to that point. They tore the house down.

As far as how their music changed after Moon died, I think a lot of that has to do with the natural evolution of a song writer as they get older and want to experiment with differnt things. Everybody goes through it. For instance, David Bowie is putting out great music to this day but it doesn't sound much like Space Oddity or Changes or Ziggy or any of his other earlier stuff.

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
All right, I'll end it with this.

What other drummer would put dynamite in his bass drum and set it off at the end of the concert, sending shrapnel everywhere? What other drummer would receive fellatio while giving an interview. What other drummer would has reportedly damaged around a half a million dollars worth of hotel furniture (and that's in the 70s!)

When you have someone around like that, it makes the playing environment different. How different do you think that concert last night would have been if Moon were back there? Do you think he would have done something crazy like try and make the amplifiers explode?

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
This is futile. A band is a GROUP. You can replace people and that's all fine and good. But the music DOES suffer.

Bullshit.

So are you telling me orchestras around the world "suffer" when a player is replaced? Are you telling me that there aren't guitarists, drummer, bassists, pianist, et al, capable of faithfully reproducing a piece of music perfectly?

If so, you are completely ill-informed.

And a drummer is a CRUCIAL part of a band. Just because someone doesn't sing doesn't mean they can't be replaced. Even the bassist provides a unique sound. Look at Flea.

So, big deal? Are you telling me that NO ONE in the world can play like Flea or Keith Moon? THAT'S insanity.

More bullshit. If you don't think there are capable musicians worldwide to fill in any genre, you shouldn't be having this conversation because you're completely in the wrong.

And you can't get Led Zeppelin back together, because Led Zeppelin is a group. If half of the people are no longer in the group, well, then its not really Led Zeppelin, is it? Call it something else.

If Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page's creation (Page did produce those albums, BTW) and if Jimmy Page owns the name, then Jimmy Page can do whatever he wants with Led Zeppelin.

Members of "legendary" bands are routinely replaced for touring conditions and in some cases, albums. Most of the time, the fans don't even notice and/or care.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
All right, I'll end it with this.

What other drummer would put dynamite in his bass drum and set it off at the end of the concert, sending shrapnel everywhere? What other drummer would receive fellatio while giving an interview. What other drummer would has reportedly damaged around a half a million dollars worth of hotel furniture (and that's in the 70s!)

When you have someone around like that, it makes the playing environment different. How different do you think that concert last night would have been if Moon were back there? Do you think he would have done something crazy like try and make the amplifiers explode?

Clearly, you have a Keith Moon obsession, which invalidates any objectivity you may have on the subject.

kstater
02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Clearly, you have a Keith Moon obsession, which invalidates any objectivity you may have on the subject.

What do YOU know about the music industry?

memyselfI
02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Well they should be running out of top tier British Invasion bands here very soon. Unless they can get Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd to reunite then they should probably start trying to locate talent from the 80s and beyond.

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Well they should be running out of top tier British Invasion bands here very soon. Unless they can get Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd to reunite then they should probably start trying to locate talent from the 80s and beyond.

Or if they're going to do what Dane suggested, get Paul and Ringo back together, throw in Noel Gallagher and some bassist, and call it the Beatles. :rolleyes:

memyselfI
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
As far as the Who itself. They are not the same band not because they are old but because they are missing 50% of what made them great in the first place. The reason the Rolling Stones can still do a decent live show is because they are pretty much the same band they've been for 35+ years.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Or if they're going to do what Dane suggested, get Paul and Ringo back together, throw in Noel Gallagher and some bassist, and call it the Beatles. :rolleyes:

Hey, I didn't "suggest it", I merely reported it.

Get your facts straight.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM

:shrug:

LMAO

memyselfI
02-08-2010, 06:34 PM

Nonsense. They are also missing half of their band. They can call it WTF they like but it won't be the Beatles. Thank God, Robert Plant has realized this about Led Zeppelin.

Brock
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Plant is irreplaceable.

dirk digler
02-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Members of "legendary" bands are routinely replaced for touring conditions and in some cases, albums. Most of the time, the fans don't even notice and/or care.

I don't know about that Dane. If I hadn't bought Kiss tickets so quickly I wouldn't have after I learned it was only half Kiss.

IMVHO some of this legendary bands aren't the same with different people...of course if one dies you can't help that.

But then again maybe you are right, most people are suckers.

dirk digler
02-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Plant is irreplaceable.

yep

siberian khatru
02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Although I lean more toward Dane in this debate, it's also my opinion that Moon's absence changed the group dynamic. Of course Pete was always going to be the creative force in the band, but HOW those songs were delivered mattered, too.

This is purely opinion, of course, but I just don't think Face Dances and It's Hard were very good Who albums, and that has little to do with Pete growing as an artist. His solo work around that time -- Empty Glass and Chinese Eyes -- IMO was far superior.

Why didn't this translate to The Who? Perhaps because Daltrey was never comfortable with Jones. Maybe Townshend's Who stuff lacked that chaotic energy that Moon provided, whereas his solo stuff didn't need it. Interestingly, Simon Phillips played drums on much of that solo stuff, not so much Jones. But like I said, I'm a Phillips fan.

Maybe if they had hired someone other than Jones, Daltrey would've been more comfortable and those early-80s Who albums would've been better. Or maybe there was no replacing Moon, period. Or maybe those Who albums are very good and I'm just full of shit.

Anyway, that's just one 30-plus years Who fan's opinion. Disclaimer: I do not have experience in the music industry, and your mileage may vary.

Earthling
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Troublemaker! :D

stevieray
02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Tommy?
Quadrophenia..?

...these works alone makes Townsend a musical genius.

The Who almost weren't..Daltrey got kicked out of the band in the early years.

Deberg_1990
02-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Still one of the freakiest movies ive ever seen:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxfPIe2qqxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxfPIe2qqxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Tommy?
Quadrophenia..?

Have you heard the "The Lifehouse" demos? They're amazing.

Also, VH-1 Classic routinely shows "Classic Albums", one of which is "Who's Next". It's a trip to hear Pete talk about the process of writing, demoing and recording that album because it almost made him go mental. Seriously.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Although I lean more toward Dane in this debate, it's also my opinion that Moon's absence changed the group dynamic. Of course Pete was always going to be the creative force in the band, but HOW those songs were delivered mattered, too.

This is purely opinion, of course, but I just don't think Face Dances and It's Hard were very good Who albums, and that has little to do with Pete growing as an artist. His solo work around that time -- Empty Glass and Chinese Eyes -- IMO was far superior.

Why didn't this translate to The Who? Perhaps because Daltrey was never comfortable with Jones. Maybe Townshend's Who stuff lacked that chaotic energy that Moon provided, whereas his solo stuff didn't need it. Interestingly, Simon Phillips played drums on much of that solo stuff, not so much Jones. But like I said, I'm a Phillips fan.

Maybe if they had hired someone other than Jones, Daltrey would've been more comfortable and those early-80s Who albums would've been better. Or maybe there was no replacing Moon, period. Or maybe those Who albums are very good and I'm just full of shit.

Anyway, that's just one 30-plus years Who fan's opinion. Disclaimer: I do not have experience in the music industry, and your mileage may vary.

There are so many reasons why The Who albums after Moon's death didn't go over well with the public. Punk rock changed the landscape (although most people agree that The Who was THE first punk band), the New Wave of British music (both synth & metal) as well as MTV all contributed, not to mention the "Hair Metal" bands from the Sunset Strip.

Music changed radically in 1979 and that carried over throughout the decade of the 80's. People wanted to have fun and party and bands like The Who were on the outside looking in.

I think that would have happened regardless of Moon's death because the feeling worldwide was much different from 1965 -1975 than in 1982.

stevieray
02-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Have you heard the "The Lifehouse" demos? They're amazing.

Also, VH-1 Classic routinely shows "Classic Albums", one of which is "Who's Next". It's a trip to hear Pete talk about the process of writing, demoing and recording that album because it almost made him go mental. Seriously.

thanks for the heads up.

RJ
02-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Tommy?
Quadrophenia..?

My opinion and nothing more, but I don't think rock music has ever created anything better than Quadrophenia. Lots of better known stuff, but nothing better.

Donger
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM

:spock:

Friendo
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I recommend renting the "Amazing Journey" DVD for anyone too young to really know what this group was about. their last really good performance imo, was the tribute to NY, (still had JE at that time.) They pretty much sucked last night, but like Dane (I think) said, it was a long overdue "Overture" to one of the greatest bands in rock history. (greatest imo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjA_RtsBfAo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RhBYt41k20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUlUOvVSm5M&feature=related

chiefscafan
02-08-2010, 11:45 PM
but they didn't do behind blue eyes one of thier most famous songs I was disapointed

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't know about that Dane. If I hadn't bought Kiss tickets so quickly I wouldn't have after I learned it was only half Kiss.

Well, KISS is different, IMO.

Tommy Thayer is Ace on his best night, every night. He's a very good player and solely responsible for the KISS rebirth in the 90's. And he's a good dude.

Eric is a much more talented drummer than Peter Criss, hands down. No argument. Besides his countless session work, Eric has played for Black Sabbath, Badlands and more. You won't find a better drummer.

Both wear the makeup of their predecessors, so enjoy!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Tommy Thayer is Ace on his best night, every night. He's a very good player and solely responsible for the KISS rebirth in the 90's. And he's a good dude.

Eric is a much more talented drummer than Peter Criss, hands down. No argument. Besides his countless session work, Eric has played for Black Sabbath, Badlands and more. You won't find a better drummer.

Eric and Tommy are great musicians, but I'll never stop be addicted to the original vibe.

FAX
02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I know it's time for this thread to die, but this is how I remember them and thought I would share. This performance is far from perfect, but it's rock & roll perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE&feature=related

FAX

DeepPurple
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
"Grand Funk Railroad"...They were down here to play a seafood festival last fall. I think two (?) original members were left. Not enough to get me to go. I saw Styx instead (although they have just two left as well, although original bassist Chuck Panozzo made a guest appearance late in the show). They actually were really good. Foreigner is coming here this spring, and they're down to just Mick Jones. Hell, even Yes is without Jon Anderson these days.

Mark, Don & Mel was Grand Funk, although they added a permanent keyboard player Scott Frost around 1974. However, as with most bands there is always one key member, and that was Mark Farner the guitarist and vocalist.

In the 70's the band ran into some financial problems and somewhat like Ted Nugent, Mark became ultra-American and also born again and swore off all drugs.

Jump ahead to 1997 and the three original members reform to tour and release live CD's and videos. I happen to talk at great length with the guy that runs Mark's website and merchandise a few years ago. He said that Mark's teenage son, who was living with his ex-wife, had become a problem. So Mark decided to take his son along on the 1998 tour to keep him under his wing. He worked as a roadie and guitar tech. Prior to Mark agreeing to resume the band, he made Don and Mel promise they would never do any drugs.

I saw the band in July 1998 in Columbia, MD outdoor in front of 10,000 and they were great!! Sometime shortly thereafter, somewhere on the road, Mark happened to enter Mel's room only to find Mel and Mark's son partaking a joint. Well, everything hit the fan and the reunion was over.

So since 1998 Mark Farner has been touring as a solo act and Mel and Don have been touring as Grand Funk with Bruce Kulick filling in. Not exactly the ideal situation.

As for Foreigner, I have the new Live DVD from this past summer in Europe and Kelly Hansen from the 80's band Hurricane is the singer. I was a bit skeptical about him replacing Lou Gramm, but they really didn't have a choice, Lou's voice is horrible, I have the DVD from their last tour with him. Anyway, Kelly is fantastic and sounds exactly like Lou.

DeepPurple
02-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Have you heard the "The Lifehouse" demos? They're amazing...

You probably already know this, but the Pete Townshend DVD "Psychoderelict: Live in NY" contains a live performance of the Lifehouse show. It's with actors just like a rock opera, he also does some of his solo hits and Who hits, it's pretty long. It's probably more for the die-hard Who fan, because the casual listener has many great Who Live DVD's to choose from.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 03:14 PM

You have no musical soul. As long as the sound is made there is no loyalty...

You have to work in the music industry or something out in Hollywood. This sort of, "Do whatever it takes to make the music," bit fits right in. What you're saying makes perfect sense when you're looking at deadlines, contracts, and the like.

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2010, 03:21 PM
You have no musical soul. As long as the sound is made there is no loyalty...

LMAO

The search is over: I think we've found Chiefsplanet's biggest jackass.

You have to work in the music industry or something out in Hollywood. This sort of, "Do whatever it takes to make the music," bit fits right in. What you're saying makes perfect sense when you're looking at deadlines, contracts, and the like.

You don't have a fucking clue.

None.

Zilch.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 03:23 PM
LMAO

The search is over: I think we've found Chiefsplanet's biggest jackass.

You don't have a ****ing clue.

None.

Zilch.

You make me laugh. You know your insults would have a lot more sting if you actually didn't stay in a constant state of PMS. Use your words carefully and they will be much more effective.

Consistent1
02-09-2010, 03:25 PM
The bottom line is that if you get two other dudes it ain't Hall and Oates no more.

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2010, 03:26 PM
You make me laugh. You know your insults would have a lot more sting if you actually didn't stay in a constant state of PMS. Use your words carefully and they will be much more effective.

Again, your opinions on this subject are completely and utterly incorrect and worthless.

And as for the personal shit, again, you don't have a fucking clue.

Halfcan
02-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Exactly!

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Again, your opinions on this subject are completely and utterly incorrect and worthless.

As are yours. :-)

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
As are yours. :-)

Wrong again, Douchetard.

BTW, which dupe are you again?

dirk digler
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM

Oh I am not arguing they aren't great musicians they both had very good solos. I was just excited when I got the pre-sale notification that it was KISS reunion tour so I thought it would be all 4. Oh well it still was a good show.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Wrong again, Douchetard.

BTW, which dupe are you again?

Its funny how in your head you MUST feel like you are smarter than me and know more than me. You only post negative, "I disagree, you f*cktard," statements. That makes you come across as really insecure and/or bitter.

Okay, I'll tell you what. I don't know anything, you're the smartest man alive. Does that make you happy?

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Oh I am not arguing they aren't great musicians they both had very good solos. I was just excited when I got the pre-sale notification that it was KISS reunion tour so I thought it would be all 4. Oh well it still was a good show.

Ah, I see.

They got rid of Ace a few years back and Peter was off the tour, IIRC, last decade.

I guarantee that you saw a show that was superior to the shows in the 90's featuring Ace & Peter.

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Its funny how in your head you MUST feel like you are smarter than me and know more than me. You only post negative, "I disagree, you f*cktard," statements. That makes you come across as really insecure and/or bitter.

Okay, I'll tell you what. I don't know anything, you're the smartest man alive. Does that make you happy?

No, you're just a fucking jackass.

First, you tell me that I have no "musical soul". You know, I'm not going to reveal my identity on this forum but you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Secondly, all you've provided is conjecture - no facts.

When told that musicians all over the world are routinely replaced without missing a beat or a note, you have no response. You probably don't even know that some of your very favorite records of all time don't have a single "band member" on the recording - that an overwhelming majority of records have studio session players on drums, bass and guitars.

You assaulted my character and proceeded to bring absolutely nothing to the conversation and apparently, you're not smart enough to figure out that you're clueless.

And for that, you can go fuck yourself.

Demonpenz
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Limp Bizkit's behind blue eyes was a thrilling tribute

Easy 6
02-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Look, i know ALL about the bands impact on rock, i definitely like a few songs & own some classic vinyl of theirs yada yada... but this was atrocious, with a capital Roshus.

Lazily rehearsed, 0. energy slop, not helped in the least by drummer Dingo... the sloppiest, laziest, college 'funk-jazz' band slop i've ever witnessed seriously, for this kind of national stage... it sucked fat arse, poorly planned & executed. Atleast a Dave Grohl type drummer would have given them some spine.

Without the technoglitz, the whole stadium would have stood silent & bored, an awkward moment in history to be looked back on in tittering shame... 'Up With People'.

No Great sounds from any quarter = FAIL, the Who can live on in history...

JD10367
02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
If that halftime show was even partially prerecorded, that makes it even worse. I mean, the whole reason they prerecord it is so it sounds BETTER. It sounded like shit.

Then again, frankly, the young Who probably would've told the NFL execs to go f**k a stick if they were asked to lip-sync. The fact that the AARP version agreed to do it in the first place is a pretty sad point.

So you had a bunch of old guys who can't sing, can't hear, and can't play, who sounded half drunk, weren't in sync with each other, and weren't in sync with the prerecorded portions.

Yeah. Awesome. Better than 9 out of 10 current bands, my f**king ass.

If the NFL can't let the halftime show be live, they should just scrap it altogether. Seriously. What's the point of it? The fans don't like it, the people in the stadium don't care, the players certainly despise the half-hour wait... just PLAY F**KING FOOTBALL.

Or let the halftime show be live. However you have to do it. I don't give a shit if that means one long cord and a 15-minute Joe Satriani guitar solo. That would still be preferable to lip-syncing. JMO.

Brock
02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
You probably don't even know that some of your very favorite records of all time don't have a single "band member" on the recording - that an overwhelming majority of records have studio session players on drums, bass and guitars.

Any surprising examples of this?

whatsmynameagain
02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
If that halftime show was even partially prerecorded, that makes it even worse. I mean, the whole reason they prerecord it is so it sounds BETTER. It sounded like shit.

Then again, frankly, the young Who probably would've told the NFL execs to go f**k a stick if they were asked to lip-sync. The fact that the AARP version agreed to do it in the first place is a pretty sad point.

So you had a bunch of old guys who can't sing, can't hear, and can't play, who sounded half drunk, weren't in sync with each other, and weren't in sync with the prerecorded portions.

Yeah. Awesome. Better than 9 out of 10 current bands, my f**king ass.

If the NFL can't let the halftime show be live, they should just scrap it altogether. Seriously. What's the point of it? The fans don't like it, the people in the stadium don't care, the players certainly despise the half-hour wait... just PLAY F**KING FOOTBALL.

Or let the halftime show be live. However you have to do it. I don't give a shit if that means one long cord and a 15-minute Joe Satriani guitar solo. That would still be preferable to lip-syncing. JMO.

it wasnt that bad. the best part is they didn't have the fake fans rush the field. i liked that the most.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Any surprising examples of this?

LMAO

Well, Tommy Lee didn't play on the "Feelgood" record. It was Mickey Curry.

Alec John Such never played a single bass note on any Bon Jovi record.

No member of Warrant besides Jani Lane played on their first album. The guitars were cut by a monster player named Mike Slamer.

Joey Kramer is only on half of one of the Aerosmith records. Steve Ferrone plays on the other songs.

On the KISS release, "Revenge", my old pal Kevin Valentine tracked all the drums. He was originally in Donny Iris.

Most people know this but Ry Cooder played on the majority of tracks on "Sticky Fingers", the Stones best record ever. There have been disputed accounts from Keith but I heard directly from the engineer that Ry appeared on nearly every track.

Kenny Aaronoff from John Cougar's band plays on all kinds of hit records throughout the 80's & 90's.

The list is pretty endless.

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2010, 12:03 AM
i heard lars didnt do jack shit on ...and justice for all.

but that was a while ago.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 12:17 AM
i heard lars didnt do jack shit on ...and justice for all.

but that was a while ago.

That, I don't know about. I was still in KC at the time and I've never run into anyone with knowledge of those sessions.

But in speaking with someone who was there while the Black Album was recorded, I can tell you that they had to do so many drum edits due to Lars' timing issues that they actually had to go back and re-hit a majority of the cymball crashes because they were cut off.

His playing was that bad and out of time.

Frazod
02-11-2010, 12:19 AM
It wouldn't surprise me the members of Poison weren't even in the same state when their studio stuff was recorded. God they suck live.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 12:20 AM
It wouldn't surprise me the members of Poison weren't even in the same state when their studio stuff was recorded. God they suck live.

Oh, they suck in the studio, too.

But believe it or not, C.C. Deville (Bruce is his real name) is a Julliard graduate!

Frazod
02-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Oh, they suck in the studio, too.

But believe it or not, C.C. Deville (Bruce is his real name) is a Julliard graduate!

Somehow I doubt if they use him on their brochures. When we saw them last summer (opening for Def Leppard, who were very good) he was the absolute weak link. God he was terrible, and shitty guitar work just ruins that kind of music. Of course, the guy probably hasn't been sober since 1980.

I've seen Poison three times (always playing with another band/bands I actually want to see) and they've been really bad twice and just passable once. I really don't ever want to see them again.

Jethopper
02-11-2010, 08:45 AM

Is this good or bad?

Brock
02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
LMAO

That one kind of surprises me. I always thought Tommy Lee was a pretty great drummer.

Easy 6
02-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Wow, thats a definite surprise... whats the deal?

Consistent1
02-11-2010, 09:51 AM
He was prolly just too fucked up at the time to actually bother playing and all that shit.

Brock
02-11-2010, 09:52 AM
A lot of them don't surprise me because they had no talent (Warrant), and others don't surprise me because they were strung out on drugs (Stones).

Easy 6
02-11-2010, 09:53 AM

I saw them twice on the RATT/Poison tour, once at the Hannibal, Mo riverport ampitheater & once in Peoria.

Gotta say both shows rocked, both bands were awesome, especially in Hannibal... and of course the vast array of cooter was beyond description :D.

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 09:59 AM
The Yes-specificity of this will not interest many people, but the story perfectly fits with Dane's point.

In 1991 Yes released an album called "Union" that sort-of combined material from the then-split 2 Yes camps -- the Trevor Rabin Yes (aka Yes West) and Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe (ABWH). Thing is, they didn't record together, the album basically just threw songs from both sides together and called it Yes.

Anyway, it came out later that even the ABWH stuff wasn't, well, ABWH. The producer, Jonathan Elias, used session musicians to take the place of Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman without their knowledge and consent. Fans felt cheated, and Howe and Wakeman were livid (Wakeman calls the album "Onion" because he says it makes him cry).

Here's part of an interview with Elias that explains his side, which I find plausible. Again, you don't really have to be a Yes fan to appreciate the rock n roll intrigue and machinations and gossip involved:

JE: There was no material. Basically, what there was was Steve [Howe] was working on a solo album [later released as Turbulence] and he brought in some things. Jon [Anderson] brought in one or two faint ideas. The problem is they hated each other so much at that point. I couldn't get Jon and Steve to sit down in a room together without me and the only way that Steve would do anything is to wake up and get very stoned and he was no good for the whole day after that. So we would sit down and try to write a few chords and here are my sort of kid pop idols and they couldn't string three chords together without fighting about what they were. And that was just putting Jon and Steve together, and constantly Steve would be badgering me about how he hated Jon's lyrics and how Jon had no good ideas. And Jon would say to me, 'Oh, Steve's just so washed out and Asia was such a horrible thing—look what it did to him.' You had Rick Wakeman who… all he wanted to do was get out there in the mix. And Rick had three or four parts that he would play, the same thing on everything. I would bring a Hammond organ in—he wouldn't touch the Hammond. He said, 'That's old-fashioned.' Not realising… well, he's so out of touch—what good would it have done had he played? I couldn't get these guys to sit down and write material without other people being in the room because of the social reasons. They had just been on the road for so many years and they probably had so many episodes with each other. Half of them couldn't really play any more. I mean, it was really sad. They were just sloppy and tired and old.

If interested, there's more juicy stuff here: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/iv/jeinterview.htm#p2

Frazod
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I saw them twice on the RATT/Poison tour, once at the Hannibal, Mo riverport ampitheater & once in Peoria.

Gotta say both shows rocked, both bands were awesome, especially in Hannibal... and of course the vast array of cooter was beyond description :D.

Well, I'm glad you caught them on good nights. I caught them on a good night once. The time I saw them when they were decent was about seven years ago, when I saw them with Dokken, Cinderella and Slaughter. Cinderella blew everybody else off the stage, though. Damn they were great.

Easy 6
02-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Well, I'm glad you caught them on good nights. I caught them on a good night once. The time I saw them when they were decent was about seven years ago, when I saw them with Dokken, Cinderella and Slaughter. Cinderella blew everybody else off the stage, though. Damn they were great.

That sounds like a pretty damn good ticket, yeah, Cinderella definitely has real chops, no tricks needed. Saw them back in the day with Bulletboys & hahahaaa Winger in Peoria & the result was exactly the same as your show.

Keifer came down from the ceiling sitting at a grand piano... awesome. Its funny you mention them, i've been wanting to go buy Night Songs for weeks now, think i'll do that today on my day off. Killer album, no frills blues rock.

MoreLemonPledge
02-11-2010, 10:16 AM
The Who are one of the most overrated artists of all time.

penchief
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
The Who are one of the most overrated artists of all time.

I know that's only an opinion but I disagree wholeheartedly.

Frazod
02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
That sounds like a pretty damn good ticket, yeah, Cinderella definitely has real chops, no tricks needed. Saw them back in the day with Bulletboys & hahahaaa Winger in Peoria & the result was exactly the same as your show.

Keifer came down from the ceiling sitting at a grand piano... awesome. Its funny you mention them, i've been wanting to go buy Night Songs for weeks now, think i'll do that today on my day off. Killer album, no frills blues rock.

I'd easily rank them in the top three or four bands I've ever seen live. I've heard Keifer had (has?) some problems with his vocal chords that has kept them from touring.

Easy 6
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I'd easily rank them in the top three or four bands I've ever seen live. I've heard Keifer had (has?) some problems with his vocal chords that has kept them from touring.

Yeah, i remember reading something like that a while back & IIRC he or maybe it was the bassist? had a major stroke brought on by Rick James levels of coke abuse.