PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous N.F.L. scout compares Western Michigan QB Tim Hiller to Tom Brady

Tribal Warfare
02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Talking pro football: It's no longer a fantasy for OHS grad Hiller (http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4765035)
about 16 hours ago

By AARON DORKSEN

Daily Record Sports Editor

Just as he has done for most years of his life, Tim Hiller made it a point to watch the Super Bowl on TV Sunday night.

Like countless others, Hiller dreamed of playing in the NFL one day -- maybe even getting to the big game.

"A lot of us have thought about it," he said. "I was a big Browns fan growing up and even had a Bernie Kosar jersey from the J.C. Penney's catalog.

"It would be a dream come true to play in the NFL."

It is not a boyhood fantasy anymore when Hiller talks about playing pro football.

After a record-setting career as the quarterback at Western Michigan University, the Orrville High graduate is in the most important year of his athletic life.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pounder played in front of various NFL scouts Saturday in the Texas vs. The Nation Game, which spotlights college seniors. In limited action, he completed 2-of-4 passes for 12 yards including a touchdown.

Hiller will get a much bigger audition when he participates in the NFL Draft Combine, which will be held Feb. 24-March 2 in Indianapolis. All 32 NFL teams will be on hand to scout players there.

Then, judgment day will come in the form of the NFL Draft April 22-24, where most early prognosticators have Hiller being selected in the middle to late stages of the draft.

Hiller isn't concerned right now about what people are predicting for his football future, whether it's good or bad.

"Anybody who knows me knows that I'm a pretty focused person," Hiller said. "I don't get online and read stuff and I try to stay away from watching ESPN.

"I know we didn't have quite the year at Western Michigan we wanted to with a team that was pretty young, but you always hear that scouts find talent. So I'm going to keep working hard and control the things I can control."

L.A. frame of mind

Hiller has gone from game-planning to beat Western Michigan opponents, to mapping out the best way to get ready for the draft combine and the NFL training camp he hopes follows.

In order to help take the next step, Hiller has moved to the Los Angeles area, hired sports agent Carter Chow and undertaken a rigorous training regimen.

"Tim has a lot of pluses, such as his size and intelligence and leadership qualities," said Chow, whose clients include three-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady of the Patriots and Saints head coach Sean Payton.

Asked what Hiller needs to work most on, Chow said, "Every QB has to work on simply refining their craft -- footwork, accuracy, etc."

Chow said one scout mentioned recently that Hiller reminded him of a young version of Brady, who wound up being a steal after New England got him in round six of the 2000 draft out of Michigan.

"That's just one man's opinion, though," Chow said. "Tim has his own game, and we feel he has his own great future ahead of him."

Hiller may not be a pro yet, but pros are all around him and some are working with him directly.

"The Home Depot Center in Carson (Calif.) where I'm training is a great facility," Hiller said. "Pro and college athletes work out there and even some Olympians.

"I'm working with a trainer on very different things than we did at Western Michigan. It's so specific to the combine, things like getting ready for the 225-pound bench press test. They've also brought in a sports psychologist from a university nearby to prepare us to talk to the scouts -- it's all a process."

Hiller has also visited UCLA on occasion, when Carter's father, Norm Chow, is the offensive coordinator. There, Hiller has been able to work on passing drills with other draft prospects from the Bruins, USC and Oregon.

Former BYU and Browns quarterback Ty Detmer has worked with Hiller on his mechanics and footwork. During the Texas vs. The Nation practices, Kosar was the quarterbacks coach.

"Tim had a very good week of practice in El Paso," Carter Chow said.

Hiller may not be in the NFL yet, but it is certainly all around him.

"The workouts and practices have been really great," Hiller said. "Everything is first class where I've trained."

The scouting report

Ask anyone who's followed Hiller's career about his strengths and they'll likely start with two things: Character and intelligence.

Hiller started a Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter at Western and regularly led Bible studies with his fiancee, Michelle, at the campus.

In the classroom, he's never received a grade other than an A. The 4.0 student graduated in just three years with a sales and marketing degree and is just five classes shy of completing his masters in business administration.

That intelligence has carried over to the football field, where Hiller directed a complex offense for coach Bill Cubit at Western. There were ups and downs as a Bronco, as the team went 7-4, 5-7, 9-5 and, finally, 5-7 with Hiller at quarterback.

Hiller's arm strength and accuracy were positives for the Broncos, where he re-wrote just about every passing record there. He's the career record-holder for passing yards (11,329), completions (1,013), attempts (1,607) and touchdown passes (99).

Early in his career Hiller had the luxury of throwing to current NFL players Greg Jennings (Packers) and Tony Scheffler (Broncos), and had a record-setter in Jamarko Simmons after that. However, last season Hiller struggled at times (23 TD passes, 13 INTs, down from 36 scores and 10 picks as a junior) with a young supporting cast around him.

How well his right arm measures up to NFL standards, where windows to complete passes open and close much quicker, will be an important factor at the combine.

Scouts will also be interested to evaluate the mobility of Hiller, who underwent a right knee surgery at the end of his freshman season and a left knee procedure following his junior year. As a senior he admitted that the left knee was not altogether better, but said there are no longer any health issues.

"I have to say I feel 100 percent," said Hiller, who some scouts reported showed good mobility during practices in El Paso this week. "The trainers at Western did a phenomenal job helping me.

"I was able to maintain strength in the left knee last season and have built it up. I feel very fortunate to be healthy at the right time."

Enjoying the ride

Hiller said he's eagerly awaiting the Draft Combine and knows it's a huge opportunity.

"Any time you're in front of scouts, coaching staffs and GMs from every team in the league, obviously that's very important," he said. "The physical tests are important, but so are the interviews we'll be doing.

"Hopefully, I can separate myself from some other guys when it comes time to watch film or draw up plays on the white board. I'm fortunate to have had some great coaching at Western."

With each step of Hiller's athletic career he's remained extremely humble, one more characteristic some team may appreciate.

"It still seems weird to say that I have an agent," said Hiller, who hired Chow when it became apparent he could be drafted into the NFL.

Hiller's parents, Tom and Amy, along with younger brother Matthew, have supported Tim's career in an excited yet unpretentious manner.

"We appreciate the coverage, but don't readers get bored of stories about Tim?" his dad half-jokingly asked at a recent Orrville boys basketball game, before being stopped by several friends for updates on Tim.

Orrville athletic director Kent Smith said people throughout this area are following Hiller's career closely, and rooting him on.

"You'd be proud of anyone in Tim's situation, but he's also such a nice young man and person of character," Smith said.

Added Orrville head football coach Doug Davault, who was an assistant when Hiller was a high school record-setter for the Red Riders: "We're very excited about all that's going on.

"He is working his tail off as everyone would expect," Davault continued. "It's fun for not just Orrville fans, but everyone in the area. I know a lot of people are enjoying following what's going on for him.

"People are setting over-unders -- second round, third, fourth, what? They know he's going to be taken, they just don't know where."

If Hiller is picked, he'd be the first local since fellow Orrville alum Damian Vaughn was drafted in the seventh round by the Bengals in 1998. Vaughn made the team's practice squad and spent time in NFL Europe, but never appeared in a regular-season NFL game.

The last local to play in a regular-season game was Larry Kolic (Smithville, Ohio State) for the Dolphins from 1986-88.

Many variables will occur between now and the NFL Draft, and then training camp and next season's games.

Hiller may or may not be under contract by an NFL team a year from now. But the long odds of a boy watching the Super Bowl making it to the pros suddenly don't look so insurmountable in his case.

The NFL dream is looking more like a reality than ever for Tim Hiller.

RustShack
02-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Get er done Carl!

Mr. Laz
02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Character and intelligence.

Hiller started a Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter at Western and regularly led Bible studies with his fiancee, Michelle, at the campus.

Don't know why people continue to use religion aspects to indicate character. Some the most twisted fuggers in the world surround themselves with religion.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 07:52 PM
-- it's all a process."

He's already been drafted by the Chiefs but just doesn't know it.

:D

Wilson8
02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Report from Texas Vs Nation practice

Western Michigan four-year starting quarterback Tim Hiller has performed at or near expectations this week. He throws an excellent deep ball when given time in the pocket, has fair accuracy on short and intermediate routes and displayed a little more mobility than you would expect from a 6-4, 229-pound quarterback. The big concern: He doesn't always unload the ball quickly and has shown scouts on film that he does not make sound decision when facing pressure.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12875520/locals-make-noise-linemen-show-off-at-texas-vs-nation-practice

Chiefnj2
02-08-2010, 09:20 PM
The kid has a cannon for an arm, but his decision making is questionable. There are good clips of him against Michigan. Michigan's talent blew the Broncs out of the water, but you can see him do his best on short drops. He also has a beautiful 40+ yard throw on a rope in that game.

Wilson8
02-08-2010, 09:55 PM
02/04/10 - Texas vs. the Nation, Wednesday: Hiller threw several nice passes. He also threw one that fluttered nose down, driven to the turf in front of a wide open player in the end zone. Hiller remains a possible Saturday pick in April

01/08/10 - Former Western Michigan University quarterback Tim Hiller has been invited to the NFL scouting combine Feb. 24-March 2 in Indianapolis. Hiller, who set every WMU career passing record over the last five seasons, is considered a middle-to-late-round draft prospect. He is the 19th player in WMU history to be invited to the combine, a list that includes his former teammates, Louis Delmas, James Blair, Greg Jennings and Tony Scheffler. - Graham Couch, Kalamazoo Gazette

RustShack
02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Its official. He is our project QB, what round does he go in now?

Wilson8
02-08-2010, 10:24 PM
He is all up and down draft boards. A couple of years ago it looked like he was going to be a 1st round draft pick. Now I see 3rd to FA. Maybe we draft him in the 5th.

PERSONAL: Completed undergraduate degree in business sales & marketing in August, 2008 and is currently pursuing his MBA ... has carried a 4.0 GPA is entire academic career ... parents are Tom and Amy Hiller ... born Dec. 13, 1986 in Parma, Ohio ... hometown of Orrville, Ohio is also home to Smucker's, Co. and legendary college hoops coach Bobby Knight.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24294&SPID=1922&DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=129730&Q_SEASON=2008

Wilson8
02-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Nfldraftscout.com says projected 7th to FA with the highest possible being the 5th round.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=58108&draftyear=2010&genpos=qb

Walter's football says 7 to FA
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010QB.php

He didn't get to play in the Senior bowl or even the Shrine Bowl, only the Texas VS Nation Bowl. He played ok in that game, but did not blow scouts away.

He would have to have a heck of Combine and Pro Day to get him any higher than a 5th.

Wilson8
02-08-2010, 10:56 PM
11.23.09 - The skinny kid from Orrville, Ohio, who showed up five years ago with an awkward throwing motion and an average arm is a surprisingly certain NFL prospect — in part, because of the strength of his arm and the mechanics of his throwing motion. Folks in the NFL like that he ran a complex offense in college, one that required him to read defenses and get his team into the right play. They like that he’s beaten big-time programs and how he interacts with his young receivers. “I tell (scouts) all the time, and I think they believe it, if there’s a smarter guy in college football right now than him, I’d love to see it,” coach Bill Cubit said. “Because what he does for us, I tell guys and they kind of look at me like, ‘Wow,’ because you don’t see it in college anymore. I’m getting good feedback, which a lot of times you don’t get any feedback.” Cubit sees Hiller’s talents as better suited for the next level than the college game. And doesn’t think his surgically repaired knees should be much of an issue, though durability is among the biggest concerns of the stream of scouts dropping by practices. “His understanding of defenses and all the cheats of the defenses and the coverages and the blitzes and stuff like that,” Cubit said, shaking his head, standing in the same spot on the Waldo Stadium turf where he once discussed his freshman quarterback’s cumbersome throwing motion. “ ... You go in a meeting right now, ‘How about this blitz here, how do you know it’s coming?’ ‘Well, this guy’s cheating here, this guy’s cheating there and this guy’s over here.’
- Kalamazoo Gazette

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2010, 11:46 PM
The kid has a cannon for an arm, but his decision making is questionable. There are good clips of him against Michigan. Michigan's talent blew the Broncs out of the water, but you can see him do his best on short drops. He also has a beautiful 40+ yard throw on a rope in that game.

So he's Joe Flacco?

tk13
02-08-2010, 11:55 PM
He's got a good arm, great build, intelligent, and he can make NFL throws. But I think he really struggles with pressure, and that's because he's about as mobile as a brick. Maybe that's an overstatement, but I would not put him behind a team that couldn't protect a pocket passer. But I've always thought he'd be a decent late round pick for somebody.

Like Nate Davis he's probably going to get overlooked, but I think they ran more complex offenses and have better builds and arms than a lot of these spread guys.

salame
02-09-2010, 03:08 AM
http://www.wuerffeltrophy.org/picts/Tim_Hiller.jpg

he needs a corona like yesterday brah

RealSNR
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Don't know why people continue to use religion aspects to indicate character. Some the most twisted fuggers in the world surround themselves with religion.Are any of them fucking college QBs? :spock:

Ralphy Boy
02-10-2010, 03:01 PM
http://www.wuerffeltrophy.org/picts/Tim_Hiller.jpg

he needs a corona like yesterday brah

Cro-Magnon Male, get a load of those eyebrows.

If things with the NFL don't work out, he could always end up doing Geico commercials.