PDA

View Full Version : Football CU and Utah to Pac-10?

jAZ
02-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Interesting... would be good for the Pac.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Utah-to-the-PAC-10-Not-BYU-It-could-happen/gpbSMZcBykqmrzztzmff7Q.cspx

Utah to the PAC 10? Not BYU? It could happen

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 Sports) The University of Utah to the PAC 10? BYU to the Big 12?? It could happen.

This is all speculation...but sources are telling ABC 4 Sports that Utah will be invited to join the PAC 10 conference, but not BYU. The Cougars could wind up in the Big 12...or staying put in the MWC.

Several dominoes have to fall first, but here's how it could all play out...

The Big 10 wants to expand to a 12 team league..giving them a conference championship game in football, like the SEC and Big 12. Pittsburgh could be asked to join the Big 10..or possibly Rutgers.

The PAC 10 would then follow suit, and it would need to invite 2 schools, and it could be Utah and Colorado.

BYU would not be invited, primarily because they don't play on Sunday...and the PAC 10 has a lot of Sunday games. Officially, the PAC 10 would say Utah is a better fit, because it's a research institution and has a medical school, like most of the other PAC 10 schools...and BYU does not.

Again, this is all speculation, but the PAC 10 TV deal is about to expire, and a new TV partner would want the league to have a football championship game, which requires the league to have 12 teams.

PAC 10 commissioner Larry Scott said today "We're looking at it very seriously. If we were ever going to look at expansion, this would be the logical time."

Utah and Colorado would be good fits for the PAC 10, giving the league exposure in 2 new, top 35 markets.

Utah would make that jump for several reasons, the 2 biggest being it would get them into a BCS conference, and it would be a huge boost for recruiting.

As for BYU, the Cougars could stay in the MWC, or accept an invitation to the Big 12 to fill Colorado's spot, although the Big 12 also has some Sunday competition.

If a team was to leave a conference, they would have to give a 1 year notice, so if a school was invited to join a new conference by June of 2010, it would play the 2010--2011 season in the old conference, then begin play in the new conference in the fall of 2011.

And again, if this happened, there would be more dominoes to fall. Would Boise State join the MWC...would Utah State be asked to join??? Would the MWC fall apart without Utah and BYU? It's all speculation, but once the dominos start falling, it could be very interesting.

POND_OF_RED
02-09-2010, 02:10 AM
It would suck to lose Colorado in the Big 12. They may bring our conference down a little bit but it's by far the best place to take a vacation and watch an away game.

alanm
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
It would suck to lose Colorado in the Big 12. They may bring our conference down a little bit but it's by far the best place to take a vacation and watch an away game.Colorado wouldn't be missed. And Boulder blows as a place to see a game. Although it's the Boof fans who make it a shitty place to go as a visiting fan.

Frosty
02-09-2010, 07:51 AM
BYU would not be invited, primarily because they don't play on Sunday...and the PAC 10 has a lot of Sunday games.

When does the PAC-10 play on Sundays?

Mojo Jojo
02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
When does the PAC-10 play on Sundays?

The Pac 10 has a Sunday Basketball deal with ESPN, or Fox Sports.

Mojo Jojo
02-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I doubt Colorado will be missed. I know the Big 12 hates when CU makes the football championship game because the fans don't travel and the venue is left with a lot of unsold seats. Lost money for the venue, the league and drives down the bidding for future games.

If CU were to leave I think the Big 12 would go after TCU, Houston, CSU or even Boise St. before BYU.

kstater
02-09-2010, 08:06 AM
1 bottom feeder for another.

ArrowheadHawk
02-09-2010, 08:08 AM
I doubt Colorado will be missed. I know the Big 12 hates when CU makes the football championship game because the fans don't travel and the venue is left with a lot of unsold seats. Lost money for the venue, the league and drives down the bidding for future games.

If CU were to leave I think the Big 12 would go after TCU, Houston, CSU or even Boise St. before BYU.One of these please.

Frosty
02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
The Pac 10 has a Sunday Basketball deal with ESPN, or Fox Sports.

I was being a dumbass and just thinking football. Duh.

Thanks.

jAZ
02-09-2010, 08:26 AM
So does the Big-12 care less about money and academic standards than the Pac-10? I wouldn't assume that. Maybe TCU is a comparable school in terms of fanbase and and population center, but BSU sure isn't. Heck, the Pac-10 won't even consider UNLV.

kstater
02-09-2010, 08:29 AM
So does the Big-12 care less about money and academic standards than the Pac-10? I wouldn't assume that. Maybe TCU is a comparable school in terms of fanbase and and population center, but BSU sure isn't. Heck, the Pac-10 won't even consider UNLV.

Considering this is all conjecture and speculation by media pundits, I'm not sure who the Big 12 would go after should one of its schools leave.

ChiTown
02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
If CU were to leave I think the Big 12 would go after TCU, Houston, CSU or even Boise St. before BYU.

You are losing a North school. Unless we realign, I don't think you are going to put TCU or Houston in the North. BYU is a great fit from a total package standpoint, but I think the B12 would rather stay in the Denver market and go with a CSU, imo. Boise St? Other than football, they bring NOTHING.

I don't care what anyone says, but losing CU would really suck, imo - especially when you look at the alternatives..

Frazod
02-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't blame anybody for wanting to leave the Big Texas Conference. 4321

Titty Meat
02-09-2010, 09:40 AM
lol none of the Big 12 North teams want to be in the Big 12. Thats pretty telling.

BWillie
02-09-2010, 09:44 AM

TCU would be a good fit. Memphis wouldn't be terrible either if they can get their football program up to par. It also isn't good for the Big 12 to lose Colorado. As one poster said, that makes the Denver market go bye bye. You aren't going to be able to keep up w/ your other BCS conferences w/ your biggest markets outside of Texas being Oklahoma City and Kansas City.

jAZ
02-09-2010, 10:18 AM
You are losing a North school. Unless we realign, I don't think you are going to put TCU or Houston in the North. BYU is a great fit from a total package standpoint, but I think the B12 would rather stay in the Denver market and go with a CSU, imo. Boise St? Other than football, they bring NOTHING.

I don't care what anyone says, but losing CU would really suck, imo - especially when you look at the alternatives..

Wouldn't they just move Oklahoma to the North and back with Nebraska?

Frazod
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Because Texas would cry about losing the yearly rivalry, and God forbid anything ever happen to upset those fucking scumbags.

ChiTown
02-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Nope. You lose the rivalry between Okie State and UT. That won't work

Tango&Cash
02-09-2010, 10:25 AM
CU needs to go to the Mountain West conf, were they would be at least competitive.

But.....it's all about $$$$ They would never do that.

I wouldn't mind losing CU and gaining an Arkansas or Iowa. But I don't see ARK ever leaving the SEC unless they are forced out for whatever reason that may be.

jAZ
02-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Nope. You lose the rivalry between Okie State and UT. That won't work

OkState makes sense, but isn't NU and OU a more traditional rivalry? I mean UT v OU is only a Big12 thing right? OU/NU is a Big-8 thing.

ChiTown
02-09-2010, 10:38 AM
OkState makes sense, but isn't NU and OU a more traditional rivalry? I mean UT v OU is only a Big12 thing right? OU/NU is a Big-8 thing.

The Red River Rivalry has been played every year since 1900. I'm not sure how that continues if you put OU in the North - where North and South teams only play in 2 year cycles.

POND_OF_RED
02-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Colorado wouldn't be missed. And Boulder blows as a place to see a game. Although it's the Boof fans who make it a shitty place to go as a visiting fan.

Considering you have a Denver Nuggets avatar I'm assuming you're from around the area. I'm from fucking Missouri. It's nice to go up into the foothills and watch my Tigers play. Now the next best place is somewhere in Texas which is just as flat as MO. Boulder is the best vacation town in the Big 12 right now for anyone that doesn't live in Colorado IMO. We would be left with Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas. Who the fuck wants to visit these places?

POND_OF_RED
02-09-2010, 10:59 AM
The Red River Rivalry has been played every year since 1900. I'm not sure how that continues if you put OU in the North - where North and South teams only play in 2 year cycles.

They'd actually still play basically every year. Now they just get the chance to play each other twice in some years. I'm just saying...

kstater
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
They'd actually still play basically every year. Now they just get the chance to play each other twice in some years. I'm just saying...

Not in football. Which is kind of the important part.

ChiTown
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Not in football. Which is kind of the important part.

I believe he is insinuating that OU would win the North and play UT in the B12 CG. I'd say he's probably not that far off........

jiveturkey
02-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I caught the end of something last week on 810 and they were talking about Texas possibly leaving the Big 12. Did anyone catch that?

Frosty
02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
I am not sure that I like the idea of the PAC-10 expanding. In football, we are one of the few major conferences that each team plays all of the other conference teams every year. Before that change was made, for example, USC would barely play out of California. Now there is alternating home and away games every year.

RustShack
02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
The Texas and OU rivalry would be even bigger if OU was in the North because they would be playing in the Big12 Championship game almost every year.