PDA

View Full Version : Misc Schneider National will hire 2,500 drivers in 2010, as many as 100 in the Kansas City

|Zach|
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I am sure there are a lot of KC job seekers here or friends and family who might be able to jump on this.

Via KC Business Journal (http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2010/02/08/daily14.html)

Schneider National Inc. of Green Bay, Wis., said Monday that it plans to hire 2,500 new drivers this year for its regional fleet to serve a growing freight base.

That includes 50 to 100 drivers in the Kansas City area, among hundreds to be hired in the company’s Midwest region, a company spokeswoman said.

Schneider is hiring drivers in each of its five regions: West, Southwest, Midwest, Southeast and Northeast. Hiring is expected to take place throughout the year, with all 2,500 new drivers in place by December.

Regional drivers will provide short-haul services for Schneider customers. Schedules will allow drivers to have time at home each week.

“Schneider’s regional driving opportunities are a perfect fit for those drivers who want to make a good living with a company that will be here tomorrow and, at the same time, enjoy more time at home with their families,” Schneider Vice President Mike Hinz said.

Schneider, the nation’s largest privately held trucking company, said strong reception of the regional service by customers and drivers accelerated its regional expansion plans.

“The customer demand for our regional service has exceeded our expectations and created enough freight density to get drivers home weekly,” Hinz said.

More information about the jobs is available on the Schneider Web site.

Schneider — a $3.7 billion provider of truckload, logistics and intermodal services — will continue to provide long-haul service for customers.

The hiring plans hint at a shift in an industry deflated by an extended freight downturn that has pushed many trucking companies out of business. Even Overland Park trucking giant YRC Worldwide Inc. (Nasdaq: YRCW) faced falling revenue and took dramatic action — such as two rounds of union concessions, thousands of layoffs, selling property and trading hundreds of millions of dollars in debt for a stake in the company — to stabilize its financial position.

YRC, one of the Kansas City area’s largest public companies, on Friday reported 2009 revenue of $5.28 billion, down 41 percent compared with 2008.

Brock
02-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Sometimes I think about driving a truck for a couple of years just to see if I like it.

seclark
02-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Sometimes I think about driving a truck for a couple of years just to see if I like it.

my bil has done it for 35 years. i think the open road would be all right, but i'd hate to drive that oversized stuff through the cities.
sec

Dayze
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
i've seriously considered getting a class A CDL and trying to find something local; or something that runs to/from like Omaha, Arkansas, St.Louis etc.
not sure I could do OTR...well, "I" could, but I couldn't stand being away from my wife for a week at a time...all the time.

jjchieffan
02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
i've seriously considered getting a class A CDL and trying to find something local; or something that runs to/from like Omaha, Arkansas, St.Louis etc.
not sure I could do OTR...well, "I" could, but I couldn't stand being away from my wife for a week at a time...all the time.

Actually, being away from my wife for a week or more at a time is a perk. Being away from my daughter......now that sucks.

BWillie
02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
How much do these cats make a year?

Dayze
02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Actually, being away from my wife for a week or more at a time is a perk. Being away from my daughter......now that sucks.

:D

Tango&Cash
02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Many truck drivers live horrible lives due to their schedules.

Dartgod
02-09-2010, 02:04 PM
YRC, one of the Kansas City area’s largest public companies, on Friday reported 2009 revenue of $5.28 billion, down 41 percent compared with 2008.
It's a shame what has happened to that company.