PDA

View Full Version : Life Weightlifters:Chest-Back, Biceps-Triceps, Legs-Shoulders:What Do You Do?

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I want to lift for tone as opposed to size; haven't lifted since high school.
Planning a 4 day cycle and trying to put together a routine. I'd really appreciate it if some of you who lift could share....

What do you do for:

Chest-Back

Bicep-Tricep

Legs-Shoulders

Silock
02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
How are you planning on lifting for "tone?" Just curious.

rambleonthruthefog
02-09-2010, 11:18 AM
i'm doing the same thing. wanted to do it on the cheap.(no gyms or expensive equip). i bought a book called special ops fitness training. http://www.ulyssespress.com
there are dozens of exercises used by army rangers, navy seals, marines, etc. almost all use your own body wait, and are not for bulking up meat head style. i've been doing these excersices for about 6 weeks combined with yoga and running, and can tell a diff in my energy level, lung capacity, and physique. outside of the yoga vid, the book, and research time on the net, i've spent very little money, and still have results.

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Lighter weights, more reps. Not going to use supplements, etc. Same routines work for both, I'll just not lift as heavy.

ChiTown
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM

I'm guessing lower weights, higher reps.

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:20 AM
i'm doing the same thing. wanted to do it on the cheap.(no gyms or expensive equip). i bought a book called special ops fitness training. http://www.ulyssespress.com
there are dozens of exercises used by army rangers, navy seals, marines, etc. almost all use your own body wait, and are not for bulking up meat head style. i've been doing these excersices for about 6 weeks combined with yoga and running, and can tell a diff in my energy level, lung capacity, and physique. outside of the yoga vid, the book, and research time on the net, i've spent very little money, and still have results.

Cool, I'll look at this. I have a gym memberhsip so I'm looking for traditional lift routines but the excercises you suggest are intriguing as a change of pace from my usual cardio. Plus I don't know how to stretch worth a damn.
Thanks.

BWillie
02-09-2010, 11:21 AM
You don't have to do typical splits to be successful. You can, but you don't have.

MVChiefFan

That's very interesting, I think I'm gonna look into that.

Silock
Lighter weights, more reps. Not going to use supplements, etc. Same routines work for both, I'll just not lift as heavy.

I figured as much. Don't do that.

Lift heavy weight, low reps.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/muscle_tone_strategies_/muscle-tone-a-controversial-term-examined/

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
You don't have to do typical splits to be successful. You can, but you don't have.

Tell me more if you don't mind.

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
I figured as much. Don't do that.

Lift heavy weight, low reps.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/muscle_tone_strategies_/muscle-tone-a-controversial-term-examined/

I've seen this. I'll increase my lift weight gradually in order to continue to tear down tissue.

Anybody have any specifics that they use in their daily routine? chest press, flies, seated row, squats.....What do you do?

Silock
02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Here's my routine:

Mon, Wed, Fri:
Bench (2x5), Pull-ups (Max, Max-1, etc. 5 sets), Incline Bench (3x12), Cable Row (3x8), Weighted Dips (5x5), Cable Front Raise, Trap Shrugs (3x12), Overhead Press (3x12), Cable Lateral Raise (3x12), Cable Fly (3x12). All of this with 60 seconds rest in between. Doesn't take too long. But then I add 30 minutes of a core routine after.

Tues, Thurs:
Bench (2x5), Pullups (Max, Max-1, etc. 5 sets), Squats 5x5

NewChief
02-09-2010, 11:30 AM

You might look into crossfit (http://www.crossfit.com/) as well, which is an "open source" program that a lot of the military and law enforcement use.

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Here's my routine:

Mon, Wed, Fri:
Bench (2x5), Pull-ups (Max, Max-1, etc. 5 sets), Incline Bench (3x12), Cable Row (3x8), Weighted Dips (5x5), Cable Front Raise, Trap Shrugs (3x12), Overhead Press (3x12), Cable Lateral Raise (3x12), Cable Fly (3x12). All of this with 60 seconds rest in between. Doesn't take too long. But then I add 30 minutes of a core routine after.

Tues, Thurs:

What's core routine?

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
You might look into crossfit (http://www.crossfit.com/) as well, which is an "open source" program that a lot of the military and law enforcement use.

Thanks Phin, I've heard of CrossFit but not sure where to start as far as developing a routine.

Jenson71
02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
What's core routine?

It's where you get one of those big rubber balls, and then you sit on it for a while, and then you get bored, so you start kicking it against the wall, and then you start to wonder how far you can kick it, and then you take it to the courts and see if you can get it stuck on the rim.

And then you get kicked out.

HC_Chief
02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Back: deadlift, bent over barbell row, cable pull downs, pull ups

Chest: dumbell fly, dumbell press, push ups, dips

Triceps: lying tricep extension (aka "headcrushers","skull crushers","French Press"), close-grip bench press, tricep cable pushdown

Biceps: dumbell curl, barbell curl, reverce barbell curl

Shoulders: seated dumbell press, dumbell side lateral raise, barbell upright row (this one will hit your traps as well as shoulders), behind-the-head cable pull downs (traps, upper delts)

Legs: barbell squats, lunge (can use barbell or can use dumbells and lunge-walk), lying leg curls (hit your hammies)

NEVER work chest and shoulders on the same day!!!!!!!

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
It's where you get one of those big rubber balls, and then you sit on it for a while, and then you get bored, so you start kicking it against the wall, and then you start to wonder how far you can kick it, and then you take it to the courts and see if you can get it stuck on the rim.

And then you get kicked out.

:D

rambleonthruthefog
02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Here's my routine:

Mon, Wed, Fri:

Tues, Thurs:

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure working out your arms 5 days in a row is bad for the muscle. muscle needs time to heal properly in order to reach its maximum potential. you change tues and thurs to running(not jogging) or yoga, and you'll probably see even better results. looks like you need to work your legs a little more anyway.

HC_Chief
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
What's core routine?

Abs and lower back.

Leg raises are good, as are back extensions, but core is best worked through balance routines. At most gyms they have "core classes" where they have you use medicine balls and steps. You have to balance on one foot or on an exercise ball while lifting weight. It is excruciating!

Yoga and pilates are great for core. People who scoff have never tried it... it will kick your ass. :D

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Triceps: lying tricep extension (aka "headcrushers","skull crushers","French Press"), close-grip bench press, tricep cable pushdown

Shoulders: seated dumbell press, dumbell side lateral raise, barbell upright row (this one will hit your traps as well as shoulders), behind-the-head cable pull downs (traps, upper delts)

Legs: barbell squats, lunge (can use barbell or can use dumbells and lunge-walk), lying leg curls (hit your hammies)

NEVER work chest and shoulders on the same day!!!!!!!

Cool. How long do you wait between reps? I'm lifting alone.

vailpass
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Abs and lower back.

Leg raises are good, as are back extensions, but core is best worked through balance routines. At most gyms they have "core classes" where they have you use medicine balls and steps. You have to balance on one foot or on an exercise ball while lifting weight. It is excruciating!

Yoga and pilates are great for core. People who scoff have never tried it... it will kick your ass. :D

Oh, thats what its called. This is my day 4, then day 5 is off then start day 1 again. Thanks HC.

Silock
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure working out your arms 5 days in a row is bad for the muscle. muscle needs time to heal properly in order to reach its maximum potential. you change tues and thurs to running(not jogging) or yoga, and you'll probably see even better results. looks like you need to work your legs a little more anyway.

I'm only working back (pullups) and pecs five days in a row (taking weekends and every 5th week off), but they're low volume, so it's fine. The program I'm doing is designed to increase strength and increase pullups. It's not breaking down the muscle fibers like a pure hypertrophy program does. That's why there are 2 sets of 5 reps on the bench. There's not a ton of breakdown. It's a gradually increasing program. A lot of it is nervous system training. When I do higher reps is when I take breaks (like with incline bench) of at least 48 hours. Muscle is ready to go after 48.

Check out relativestrengthadvantage.com and the bench press strength increase program and the pullup increase program. I've been doing them both for quite some time now, and it definitely works.

Silock
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Cool. How long do you wait between reps? I'm lifting alone.

The lower the better. 90 seconds should be all you need.

Brock
02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Give the 300 workout a try for toning.

stevieray
02-09-2010, 11:51 AM

NEVER work chest and shoulders on the same day!!!!!!!good routine.. i would include incline and decline press... rotating for recoup is imperative...chest, arms and core on M/W/F ..legs back and shoulders T/Th

of cousre diet is important...fish, chicken, rice...fruit and veggies.

NewChief
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Phin, I've heard of CrossFit but not sure where to start as far as developing a routine.

It's done for you. They post a workout of the day on that site every day at about 5pm. That is your workout for the next day. I think they're 5 on 1 off on the workout routine, though. The site has a demos section that has videos and explanation of all the workouts. There's also a substitution section for exercises that can be subbed for others if you don't have the equipment for a workout.

NewChief
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM

300 workout is very similar to a crossfit workout call Fight Gone Bad from what I understand.

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=1471175174570526588&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

scorpio
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Monday
DB Bench
Incline DB Bench
Dips
BB Curls
DB Curls
Situps

Wednesday
Deadlift
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Calf Raises
DB press
DB lateral fly

Friday
BB Row
Lat Pulldown
Skull Crushers
Cable Pressdown
DB Shrugs
Leg Raises

scorpio
02-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Crossfit is great if you aren't worried about building size.

vailpass
02-09-2010, 12:03 PM

I have the link you sent marked to look at this weekend, thanks for the heads up.
How's the gallbladder thing?

vailpass
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
It's done for you. They post a workout of the day on that site every day at about 5pm. That is your workout for the next day. I think they're 5 on 1 off on the workout routine, though. The site has a demos section that has videos and explanation of all the workouts. There's also a substitution section for exercises that can be subbed for others if you don't have the equipment for a workout.

Have you done the workouts?

Brock
02-09-2010, 12:05 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRpbM9nzDcM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRpbM9nzDcM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Warning this will kill you

NewChief
02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Have you done the workouts?

I've done some workouts of the day, yeah. I haven't really committed to the program, though. My gym isn't really set up for it very well, and I've also started working with a kettlebell routine lately instead. I really like the philosophy, though, and my routines are somewhat similar to CF.

There is a poster (can't remember who) in the gym/diet thread who is doing crossfit regularly, though.

NewChief
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRpbM9nzDcM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRpbM9nzDcM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Haha. That was me at the gym yesterday. Ended up doing 150 2H swings and 150 H2H swings yesterday in a reverse ladder. Ouch.

Edit: after watching that video, I'm going to have to harass my KB instructor for "stealing" the 300 workout. It's very, very similar to the workouts we do.

vailpass
02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I've done some workouts of the day, yeah. I haven't really committed to the program, though. My gym isn't really set up for it very well, and I've also started working with a kettlebell routine lately instead. I really like the philosophy, though, and my routines are somewhat similar to CF.

There is a poster (can't remember who) in the gym/diet thread who is doing crossfit regularly, though.

I'm looking at developing a steady conventional lifting routine then supplementing with something like CF. Thanks.

It's going to take me a little while not to picture you freeballing in a skirt but that is my problem not yours.

Jenson71
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM

I just did it. Four times.

Dayze
02-09-2010, 12:25 PM
that kettle ball thing is interesting.
at somepoint in the next month, I want to try to get to our apartment complex's gym and/or get something like that kettle ball for home. I've never seen those before. My being so out of shape, I'm sure that kettle ball workout would come close to killing me lol.

my goal is to complete the Coucht to 5k program first, then start on the weights.

NewChief
02-09-2010, 12:26 PM
that kettle ball thing is interesting.
at somepoint in the next month, I want to try to get to our apartment complex's gym and/or get something like that kettle ball for home. I've never seen those before. My being so out of shape, I'm sure that kettle ball workout would come close to killing me lol.

my goal is to complete the Coucht to 5k program first, then start on the weights.

Just a warning: it's not a bad idea to take a kettlebell class. Good form is super important in using them, or you can seriously jack up your body.

Dayze
02-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Just a warning: it's not a bad idea to take a kettlebell class. Good form is super important in using them, or you can seriously jack up your body.

great info; thanks.:clap:

wonder if they make kettle ball DVDs (or something similar) to teach you?

NewChief
02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
For anyone interested in doing KBs, my instructor was certified through this website:

http://www.dragondoor.com/rkc/

Toward the bottom, it has a listing of instructors by state, and you can read reviews of those instructors and find out how to contact them. My class was a group seminar. Cost $40 for 3 hours of instruction, and I feel pretty confident in my use of KBs now.

Brock
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
great info; thanks.:clap:

wonder if they make kettle ball DVDs (or something similar) to teach you?

They do. I'd still seek out a coach.

NewChief
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Speaking of KBs without proper training.

I was doing my circuit last night. I'd found a nice isolated corner of the gym, facing a wall without mirrors. According to my instructor this is important, because when we look at mirrors, we get false input on our form (especially in a quick, full body motion like a KB swing) and end up screwing it up even worse because we're seeing things backwards, etc.. Also don't want to swing toward someone else or a mirror in case you let go of the KB (which happened at our gym last week, and someone broke a full wall mirror).

So anyway, this chick proceeds to come over and stand about 5 feet from me and start doing her KB swings facing me while watching herself in a mirror the whole time. I was doing turkish get ups at the time, so I was on the ground quite a bit. If she'd let go of her KB, it would have crushed me.

Needless to say, I gave her a dirty look and went and found somewhere else to work out. The whole point is that I might have made a similar faux pas if I hadn't taken a KB class.

el borracho
02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Monday:
Chest: Flat Bench, Incline Bench, Weighted Dips
Back: Pulldowns, Seated Rows, Close Grip Cable Rows

Tuesday:
Quads: Leg Press, Leg Extensions
Hamstrings: Seated Leg Curls
Calves: Calves on the Leg Press machine

Wednesday: Rest and eat

Thursday:
Chest: Flat Bench, Incline Bench, Cable Crossovers
Back: Close Grip Pull-ups, Pulldowns, Wide Grip Cable Rows

Friday:
Quads: Leg Press, (h)ack Squats
Hamstrings: Seated Leg Curls, Leg Curls (lying down)
Calves: Calves on the Leg Press machine

Saturday:
Shoulders: Military Press, Laterals (for the rear of the delt), Shrugs
Biceps: Biceps Pull-ups, Run-the-Rack
Triceps: Close Grip Bench, Triceps Pushdowns

Sunday: Rest and Eat

BigOlChiefsfan
02-09-2010, 01:12 PM
check Youtube 'body weight' stuff, burpees, pushups, pullups, dips, handstand press - check some of the parkour kid's workouts. Pavel's 'The Naked Warrior' book will kick your butt w/bodyweight exercises - his one leg squats (called 'pistols') are killer. For tone over size on the cheap you can't beat bodyweight.
Might consider one kettlebell to swing and a pair of dumb bells. Wal-mart has kettlebells fairly cheap online, they will deliver to your nearest store for free - keep that in mind when you start pricing kettlebells...delivery can be $30-$50 depending on weights involved.
Look around town for a 'par course'. Run from station to station and do the station's required exercise. Taxes paid for it, might as well put it to use.

stevieray
02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
kettleball looks very intriguing...I'd think i'd wrap my wrists starting out though.

Silock
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Speaking of KBs without proper training.

I was doing my circuit last night. I'd found a nice isolated corner of the gym, facing a wall without mirrors. According to my instructor this is important, because when we look at mirrors, we get false input on our form (especially in a quick, full body motion like a KB swing) and end up screwing it up even worse because we're seeing things backwards, etc.. Also don't want to swing toward someone else or a mirror in case you let go of the KB (which happened at our gym last week, and someone broke a full wall mirror).

So anyway, this chick proceeds to come over and stand about 5 feet from me and start doing her KB swings facing me while watching herself in a mirror the whole time. I was doing turkish get ups at the time, so I was on the ground quite a bit. If she'd let go of her KB, it would have crushed me.

Needless to say, I gave her a dirty look and went and found somewhere else to work out. The whole point is that I might have made a similar faux pas if I hadn't taken a KB class.

Damn, that SUCKS. Reminds me of the time I was doing DB Rows, and the guy next to me dropped his 120 lbs DBs on the ground from the incline bench. It hit his water bottle and the top went flying off and hit me in the cheek. I was SUPER pissed. That literally could have put my eye out. I was so hot, I went OFF on the guy. Even though he was way bigger than me, he knew he fucked up and everyone around him did, too.

He's pretty cool to me at the gym now, though lol

BigOlChiefsfan
02-09-2010, 02:22 PM
This gal is easy on the eyes, but more important, she knows her stuff. If you're thinking about kettlebells, watch and learn.

swings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0jalJ-3e7U)

kbell single leg deadlift (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA1n11ph_wU) seeworthy blue pants

kbell clean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeVQ8_HmvxI&feature=related)

HC_Chief
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Damn, that SUCKS. Reminds me of the time I was doing DB Rows, and the guy next to me dropped his 120 lbs DBs on the ground from the incline bench. It hit his water bottle and the top went flying off and hit me in the cheek. I was SUPER pissed. That literally could have put my eye out. I was so hot, I went OFF on the guy. Even though he was way bigger than me, he knew he ****ed up and everyone around him did, too.

He's pretty cool to me at the gym now, though lol

I #$(&@ing hate dumbshits who drop their wieghts. If you can't handle the weight appropriately then go lighter or get a #$&@ing spotter.

You, dumb$&@% teenage boy, I'm talking to you. No one is impressed. You are a (*#&$@ing idiot.

You, pimple-backed horse steroid shooting #@$&@stick, I'm talking to you. No one is impressed. You are a #&^@$%ing idiot.

You, gym employee, read the #($&@%ing signs your employer has plastered on EVERY GODDAMN WALL and ENFORCE THE RULE.

/rant

MVChiefFan
02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
F*** a kettlebell! Where's the kettlecorn?!

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Planning a 4 day cycle and trying to put together a routine. I'd really appreciate it if some of you who lift could share....

What do you do for:

Chest-Back

Bicep-Tricep

Legs-Shoulders

Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpresses, Dips, Pullups, Military Presses, Upright Rows, Bent-Over rows.

No real need to work out the arms, though you can. After that you should feel a burn in them anyway. And even squats can boost your arms. After doing a squat your body will produce as much testosterone as possible to build up those muscles. It has residual effects on your arms as well.

A good idea for lifting weights is to try and not make a sound when using them. No clanking the weight plates on cable exercises, or smacking the dumbbells together, or hearing the click of the plates shifting on the barbell. What this does is requires you to make fluid, slow movements which don't allow you to stop contracting at any point. Be warned, when you do this you will NOT be able to use as much weight as you're used to.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2010, 04:54 PM

What do you do for:

Chest-Back

Bicep-Tricep

Legs-Shoulders

I guess hoisting crosses isn't working for you.