PDA

View Full Version : Misc Cross Fit

kaplin42
02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Since I keep seeing threads about differnet exercise topics, I thought I would start this one.

How many of you heard of Cross Fit? Anyone out there other than myself doing it?

I hated to work out, and hated going to the gym, until I found cross fit. I think I like it so much because its a quick routine generally under 30 mins, but it works your entire body, and you know that you got your exercise in for the day when you are done.

I have been doing it now for about 6 months and I love it. I'm not quite where I want to be yet, but I am getting there. While you will never hulk out on this type of excercise, it is great for endurance, and cardio. I have noticed some muscle build/tone and have noticed the ability to do more and more over the past few months. If you like working out, I strongly suggest giving it a try.

NewChief
02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
You and I have talked about it, and I'd really like to get into it. I imagine I'm going to once I've sort of exhausted my interest in the program I'm currently doing. My main issue will be finding someone else to do it with, I think. If I can find a partner, then I'll be golden. My gym is pretty open to alternative stuff, so I may request that they get a few pieces of equipment that would help out (rings, higher pull up bar for kipping, 20 lb. wall ball, wall ball target, rowing machine).

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Good for endomorphic people, but for us skinny guys it won't do much other than make us look stringy. But then again, with more middle-aged people in this country being fat than a healthy weight, CrossFit might be great!

I say a good powerlifting scheme for a ectomorph is still the best route to go. The only things you need are iron and food. And lots of both.

MOhillbilly
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
the people i know who do cross fit love it. They are strong w/ loads of wind.

kaplin42
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
You and I have talked about it, and I'd really like to get into it. I imagine I'm going to once I've sort of exhausted my interest in the program I'm currently doing. My main issue will be finding someone else to do it with, I think. If I can find a partner, then I'll be golden. My gym is pretty open to alternative stuff, so I may request that they get a few pieces of equipment that would help out (rings, higher pull up bar for kipping, 20 lb. wall ball, wall ball target, rowing machine).

Yeah, that sounds like the way to go. When ready, I got a few routines that I don't mind sharing. Enough to keep you busy at least for a few weeks.

NewChief
02-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah, that sounds like the way to go. When ready, I got a few routines that I don't mind sharing. Enough to keep you busy at least for a few weeks.

Do you and your buddy do the workout of the day posted on crossfit.com? Or do you just sort of pick and choose WODs?

kaplin42
02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Good for endomorphic people, but for us skinny guys it won't do much other than make us look stringy. But then again, with more middle-aged people in this country being fat than a healthy weight, CrossFit might be great!

I say a good powerlifting scheme for a ectomorph is still the best route to go. The only things you need are iron and food. And lots of both.

I don't know how it could be bad for skinny people. Since, I guess theoretically everyone should be doing some cardio. And to me, 15 - 25 minute cross fit beats the crap out of running on a tread mill or down the street for 5 miles. But thats just me. I got a budy who will run 10 miles and have a great time, I try to get him into cross fit and looks at me like im a tard.

On the other side of the coin though, I would like to work in a few days of lifting. Nothing crazy, but something that can go with my cross fit to help develop just a little more muscle.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
HIIT is great, but there's nothing like running for an hour straight. I know its sadistic, but I LOVE the feeling of puking my guts out after a good run. It lets me KNOW I gave everything my body had to give.

I don't know how it could be bad for skinny people. Since, I guess theoretically everyone should be doing some cardio. And to me, 15 - 25 minute cross fit beats the crap out of running on a tread mill or down the street for 5 miles. But thats just me. I got a budy who will run 10 miles and have a great time, I try to get him into cross fit and looks at me like im a tard.

On the other side of the coin though, I would like to work in a few days of lifting. Nothing crazy, but something that can go with my cross fit to help develop just a little more muscle.

Lifting weights is a GREAT anaerobic workout, and does wonders for your heart. Do three sets of squats to failure, and take your pulse. You'll see. And if you're trying to get big, you shouldn't do aerobics. You should do high-intensity interval training, if anything at all (I don't do anything at all). Basically 10 seconds of run/jog, followed by five seconds of sprinting. Repeat for about ten minutes, and you literally will not be able to pick yourself off of the belt on the treadmill. Its been shown to produce the same levels of functional endurance. Anything you ask your heart to do in daily activity, HIIT will help you with. I love to run, but I'm trying to get bigger so I lay off.

kaplin42
02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Do you and your buddy do the workout of the day posted on crossfit.com? Or do you just sort of pick and choose WODs?

I have a lucky and rare situation where I have a coach who instructs me and gives us the workouts that he does from his gym for free.

kaplin42
02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Lifting weights is a GREAT anaerobic workout, and does wonders for your heart. Do three sets of squats to failure, and take your pulse. You'll see. And if you're trying to get big, you shouldn't do aerobics. You should do high-intensity interval training, if anything at all (I don't do anything at all). Basically 10 seconds of run/jog, followed by five seconds of sprinting. Repeat for about ten minutes, and you literally will not be able to pick yourself off of the belt on the treadmill. Its been shown to produce the same levels of functional endurance. Anything you ask your heart to do in daily activity, HIIT will help you with. I love to run, but I'm trying to get bigger so I lay off.

Not really trying to get big. Just trying to look more like a man than a couch potato. I have a cool tat around my arm, and I always thought it would look a lot better if it was around a bicep.

I have no intention going Arnold, and no illusions of ever having a six pack, but I think that I could definately do a lot better than I am now, and I'm already a lot better than I was 6 months ago.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Not really trying to get big. Just trying to look more like a man than a couch potato. I have a cool tat around my arm, and I always thought it would look a lot better if it was around a bicep.

I have no intention going Arnold, and no illusions of ever having a six pack, but I think that I could definately do a lot better than I am now, and I'm already a lot better than I was 6 months ago.

Yeah. If you're overweight, CrossFit is AWESOME. If you're scrawny and stringy, Crossfit will just make you look the same with a better heart.

stlchiefs
02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I've been doing it for a few weeks now, talked to Phin about it a few times. I definitely am not overweight, but got tired of throwing up big weights and not getting any larger like I wanted so I decided to try something different. My weight is what it is, I'm never going to get huge, so I might as well have kick as cardio ability and enjoy doing varied and very difficult routines. Really liking crossfit and feeling soreness in lots of new areas. I have a buddy back home who does it as well so it's fun to compare times against each other.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I've been doing it for a few weeks now, talked to Phin about it a few times. I definitely am not overweight, but got tired of throwing up big weights and not getting any larger like I wanted so I decided to try something different. My weight is what it is, I'm never going to get huge, so I might as well have kick as cardio ability and enjoy doing varied and very difficult routines. Really liking crossfit and feeling soreness in lots of new areas. I have a buddy back home who does it as well so it's fun to compare times against each other.

Do the crossfit, but EAT EAT EAT!!! Muscle is gained outside of the gym. Whenever you can eat something high in protein. It sounds crazy but sneaking in a boiled egg here or there, or eating some chicken breasts in the middle of the afternoon WILL make you bigger.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I've been following the site for several years now. Learned a lot. Don't do their WOD, but incorporate their ideas. Locally, there's a guy here in KC called Coach Rut who runs a crossfit affiliate if anyone is interested I could probably find his contact info. I'm on his email update list. Another crossfit affiliate up in Leavenworth IIRC.

stlchiefs
02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Do the crossfit, but EAT EAT EAT!!! Muscle is gained outside of the gym. Whenever you can eat something high in protein. It sounds crazy but sneaking in a boiled egg here or there, or eating some chicken breasts in the middle of the afternoon WILL make you bigger.

Done it dude, it doesn't work for me. I was eating 3 complete meals plus a protein shake between breakfast and lunch and another between lunch and dinner and maybe saw a 4lb swing over 6+ months. I was able to throw up considerably more weight at the gym, but I've never really been able to bulk up.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Done it dude, it doesn't work for me. I was eating 3 complete meals plus a protein shake between hamster droppings and lunch and another between lunch and dinner and maybe saw a 4lb swing over 6+ months. I was able to throw up considerably more weight at the gym, but I've never really been able to bulk up.

That sucks. THe only other two recommendations I have is to split it up into 6 meals, and do reps like 3x12. 3x12 is supposedly is the best combination for size.

The bodybuilders say "YOU SHOULD NEVER GO MORE THAN THREE HOURS WITHOUT EATING!!! You will need to get up in the middle of the night to eat!" But even if you aren't that hardcore, you can kind of see their advice and go from there.

FTR I'm really not that in shape. But my best friend for years was a personal trainer/bodybuilder, and he told me pretty much everything you need to know in order to get big or fit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2010, 05:45 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fk1wl7rssIA/SKdCob_GwpI/AAAAAAAAFCU/K0DRfsIsmcI/s400/cross+joint+004.JPG

verbaljitsu
02-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Crossfit is the hardest workout regiment I've ever done. My old jiu jitsu gym offered it. Crossfit warmups are harder than lots of workouts. Even if you are already in good shape, you will see quick results. The functional strength benefits cannot be overstated.

chiefzilla1501
02-09-2010, 06:23 PM

I've been doing this for years. My buddy tells me that when he was getting huge, he used to load up big time on starchy carbs and glycogen right after a workout. I don't know if that works, as I'm looking to get lean more than enormous, but that sort of flipped everything upside down for me.

stlchiefs
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
That sucks. THe only other two recommendations I have is to split it up into 6 meals, and do reps like 3x12. 3x12 is supposedly is the best combination for size.

The bodybuilders say "YOU SHOULD NEVER GO MORE THAN THREE HOURS WITHOUT EATING!!! You will need to get up in the middle of the night to eat!" But even if you aren't that hardcore, you can kind of see their advice and go from there.

FTR I'm really not that in shape. But my best friend for years was a personal trainer/bodybuilder, and he told me pretty much everything you need to know in order to get big or fit.

Yeah it does suck. I finally decided to quit wasting money on protein shakes that just lead to big poos and only have maybe 1 shake a day now and only if I am legitimately hungry for it.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
I've been doing this for years. My buddy tells me that when he was getting huge, he used to load up big time on starchy carbs and glycogen right after a workout. I don't know if that works, as I'm looking to get lean more than enormous, but that sort of flipped everything upside down for me.

My favorite choice for an after-workout drink is chocolate milk. Protein, plus the sugars to get your body to immediately start working on building back the muscle.

Cutting for more than half of the people out there is what will make you look great. I have a chest that's literally 36-38" I wear a size small. I don't need CrossFit. I need lots of red meat, and heavy iron.

Yeah it does suck. I finally decided to quit wasting money on protein shakes that just lead to big poos and only have maybe 1 shake a day now and only if I am legitimately hungry for it.

Body Builders go overboard. That's their whole purpose. Your body doesn't need 1.5g/lb of protein each day. That's outrageous. Its just to make sure you get as much as you need.

Its also important to remember every bit helps. Even if you do one protein shake, its more protein than you did take in. Even if you can't make it through the whole CrossFit session doesn't mean it didn't do any good. Keep going, eventually you'll get through it and have more pride than anyone there.

stlchiefs
02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Even if you can't make it through the whole CrossFit session doesn't mean it didn't do any good. Keep going, eventually you'll get through it and have more pride than anyone there.

yep. They are intense, but I usually finish them. I have a pretty good base, just like pushing myself with new stuff.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 07:11 PM
yep. They are intense, but I usually finish them. I have a pretty good base, just like pushing myself with new stuff.

none<a little<some<most<all

Every little bit helps. These people who say they can't do 25 push ups, so they won't try: If you keep trying you'll actually be able to, after a while!

kaplin42
02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
none<a little<some<most<all

Every little bit helps. These people who say they can't do 25 push ups, so they won't try: If you keep trying you'll actually be able to, after a while!

When I started, I could barley do a pushup. Today I was doing clapping pushups in my routine.

stlchiefs
02-09-2010, 10:52 PM
When I started, I could barley do a pushup. Today I was doing clapping pushups in my routine.

Nice man. Congrats. How long you been going now?

kaplin42
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Just over 6 months. Believe me when I say, I hated the thought of going to a gym. Now I can't wait for 1pm to roll in so I can go get my sweat on.

And never will you sleep better than after a nice ass kicking cross fit session.

stlchiefs
02-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Just over 6 months. Believe me when I say, I hated the thought of going to a gym. Now I can't wait for 1pm to roll in so I can go get my sweat on.

And never will you sleep better than after a nice ass kicking cross fit session.

That's great. And you are right about cross fit kicking your ass. I definitely like how it's forcing me to mix up my routines.

Crashride
02-10-2010, 12:25 AM
I've been doing crossfit for 8 months now here www.crossfitsparta.com. I will be in the fire academy in april and I know im gonna smoke everyone during pt. Without a doubt crossfit is one of the most physically demanding workouts i've ever been a part of, and if anyone is on the fence please just hop on over and give it your all.

kaplin42
02-10-2010, 09:22 AM
I've been doing crossfit for 8 months now here www.crossfitsparta.com. I will be in the fire academy in april and I know im gonna smoke everyone during pt. Without a doubt crossfit is one of the most physically demanding workouts i've ever been a part of, and if anyone is on the fence please just hop on over and give it your all.

crossfitsparta looks pretty damn intense. I might have to try their WoDs a little bit. The crouching tiger WoD looked like a lot of fun.

Crashride
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
If anyone lives in tampa and wants to train let me know. I know some people need someone to workout with to get started.

NewChief
02-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I'm liking their WODs. I like that they have pics of people doing the exercises right there. It also looks like it utilizes more commonly available equipment than the crossfit.com WODs.

kaplin42
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Post your Wod:

GAME TIME:
- Complete with Partner for Time -
100-80-60-40-20 reps of:
OH Plate Lunge M:25 F:10
Push Ups
Box Jumps
Push Press M:65 F:45
Sit Ups
- One athlete must be moving at all time -
- You may switch back and forth with partner any time you wish, through any or all movements –

NewChief
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Post your Wod:

GAME TIME:
- Complete with Partner for Time -
100-80-60-40-20 reps of:
OH Plate Lunge M:25 F:10
Push Ups
Box Jumps
Push Press M:65 F:45
Sit Ups
- One athlete must be moving at all time -
- You may switch back and forth with partner any time you wish, through any or all movements –

Ouch.

This was the crossfit sparta one I thought was insane:

Brainiac:

1. With a partner, one does 62 wall balls (20/14#) while the other hangs from the pullup bar. If partner drops from the pullup bar, person doing wall balls must stop until the other is back up on the bar. Each bar drop results in 5 burpees for both partners. Then the exercise rolls are switched and repeated by the other.

(In 1962, Two members of the Flying Wallendas high-wire act were killed when their seven-person pyramid collapsed during a performance in Detroit.)

2. One partner must answer 50 math addition questions as the other holds a handstand against a wall. If partner must come down from the handstand hold, the answering of the math questions must be paused. Each fall from the hold results in 5 burpees for both partners. In addition, each math question that is answered incorrectly results in the addition of 10 seconds to the team’s final time.

3. One partner executes 79 ball slams while the other does the pullup bar hang again. Same rules apply. Each drop equals 5 burpees for both members.

(1979 The civilian government of Iran announced it had decided to allow Ayatollah Khomeini to return from exile in France.)

4. One member must write down the 50 United States while the other holds a handstand. Same rules apply and 10 seconds added to the final time for each state that is incorrect or missing.

5. One partner does 72 Medicine ball thrusters as the other hangs from the pullup bar.

(1972 Thirteen Roman Catholic civil rights marchers were shot to death by British soldiers in Northern Ireland on what became known as “Bloody Sunday.”)

*Scores not posted in an attempt to save embarrassment to the educational system !

Can you imagine holding a handstand while another son of a bitch tries to write down all 50 states? Good gravy.

kaplin42
02-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Ouch.

This was the crossfit sparta one I thought was insane:

Can you imagine holding a handstand while another son of a bitch tries to write down all 50 states? Good gravy.

I would so fail that WoD. There would be no way i would get past the states.