PDA

View Full Version : Music SPINOFF:What's some of the least/most you've paid for a concert?

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
With all the concert discussion etc. I was interested in seeing the different price ranges on concerts through the years.

So list the cheapest/highest the year or thereabouts and the band(s)

1977,I paid $17.25(with ticket handling charge) and saw in order

Little River Band
Climax Blues Band
Head East
Black Oak
REO Speedwagon
Ted Nugent

2008 I paid $120 for

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

mikeyis4dcats.
02-11-2010, 12:48 PM
$0 Rockfest passes from a buddy

$150 Aerosmith/ZZ Top

JD10367
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Cheapest is simple: free. The local alt-rock station usd to put on free summer concerts, and when I first moved here in the early 00s they had some kick ass shows. In 2000 I saw Guster, Eve 6, SR-71, and Everclear.

The most would be more recent, since prices have risen. I refuse to pay three digits to see a musical act, so it's probably around $50-70.

The Franchise
02-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I think the most I paid was $45 to see Marilyn Manson. The cheapest I paid was $10.25 to see Pennywise, Puddle of Mudd, Offspring, Kottonmouth Kings and Papa Roach.

seclark
02-11-2010, 12:54 PM
cheapest: reo/cheap trick free(back in the late 70's)

most expensive: clapton $110

sec

KC native
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Definitely been to my share of few concerts/festivals.

Cheapest I've paid would be $25 (without fees) and that list would be George Clinton, Les Claypool, a laundry list of Hip Hop acts.

Most expensive was Tool at $75 but ticketmaster stacked another $22 in fees so it came to $97.

The Franchise
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Oh....I guess the cheapest would be free.....but I had to work security at the concert. It was Styx, Survivor and Creedence Clearwater Revisited. I guess you could say I got paid to go to that concert.

BigRedChief
02-11-2010, 12:58 PM
cheapest: reo/cheap trick free(back in the late 70's)

most expensive: clapton $110

sec
Old School:
I think I paid $7.50 for Lynard Skynard and the New York dolls back in 1976.

$12.50 to see Judas Priest and Ozzy back in 1981.

Recent ones:
Paid $100-$110 for Van Halen, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Greenday. But, I like the good seats,

shitgoose
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I think I paid around $100 to see Roger Waters do Dark Side a couple years ago

The cheapest was when I won tickets to see Headeast/Doobie Bros/Boston which happened to be my first concert as well at age 13

Boon
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
1979 - Van Halen - $10.00
2006 - Rolling Stones - $250.00

eazyb81
02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Paid $200 2-3 years ago to see Smashing Pumpkins reunion show at the Ryman Auditorium. 5th row center, caught Billy Corgan's guitar pick.

Saw George Clinton and P-Funk for free this past summer.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Old School:
I think I paid $7.50 for Lynard Skynard and the New York dolls back in 1976.

$12.50 to see Judas Priest and Ozzy back in 1981.

Recent ones:
Paid $100-$110 for Van Halen, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Greenday. But, I like the good seats,

Van Halen tickets were $2500 when they last played Staples Center.

Suffice to say, I didn't go.

Tango&Cash
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Got Free tickets from a radio show, took my g/f to see Keith Urban (before he was huge) opening act was Kenny Chesney, main act was Tim McGraw.

Also paid $85 for Metallica a long time ago

JD10367
02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Old School:
I think I paid $7.50 for Lynard Skynard and the New York dolls back in 1976 . . .

Lynyrd Skynyrd and the New York Dolls? ROFL Who thought up THAT double bill? "Glam Rock and Mullets!" LMAO

shitgoose
02-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Suffice to say, I didn't go.

Anyone who would pay $2500 to see Van Halen needs their fucking head examined. You couldn't pay me $100 to sit in the front row of a VH concert.

BigRedChief
02-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd and the New York Dolls? ROFL Who thought up THAT double bill? "Glam Rock and Mullets!" LMAOAnd it was at what is now a bowling alley in Springfield, mo.

BigRedChief
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Suffice to say, I didn't go.I was on the floor about 20 rows back.

blaise
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I went to Woodstock for free (the second one).

Fish
02-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Hank Williams Jr. - Free
Buddy Guy - $175

Inspector
02-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Sat in $400 seats at Shoreline Amphitheater for the Fray / Vedera concert. My costs: $0.00

:D

Frazod
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
The most I ever paid was $75 (x3) to see the Eagles.

The least I ever paid was $0 to see Tracy Chapman open for Bob Dylan. And I still wanted a refund. And to kill the people who convinced me to go see it. :#

Dayze
02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
i think i paid like $100 or thereabouts for VH with DLR when they came to town. I wasn't going to miss out, since I was 7 DLR left the band. Awesome concert.

$80 is about my 'max' now though. and even then, it had better be a really good band.

last one I went to was the Motley Crue concert; Godsmack blew them out of the water as the opener, but still pretty cool to see Crue finally.

Godsmack
Nickelback
AC/DC
Rob Zombie
Metallica
Tesla
....pretty much the only bands I woudl care to see.

KCbroncoHATER
02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
15 bucks for a 3 day rock concert that was held at the fair grounds in Sedalia Mo back in the early 70's.

http://rodsievers.googlepages.com/ozarkmusicfestival

20 bucks to see Pink Floyd at Kemper.

100 bucks for Pink Floyd at Arrowhead.

BigRedChief
02-11-2010, 01:32 PM
15 bucks for a 3 day rock concert that was held at the fair grounds in Sedalia Mo back in the early 70's.

http://rodsievers.googlepages.com/ozarkmusicfestival

Man that was wild time. People putting up signs in front of their tents about what drugs were for sale inside etc. People having sex out in the open or leaving their tent flaps open. A much different time.

rockymtnchief
02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
A DJ buddy of mine got me into many concerts free. Plus, he'd get me backstage passes also.

$75 + $22 Ticketmaster fee = $97 for Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Buck
02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
My dad has bought me quite a few concert tickets that cost $50+ (Queen, The Black Crowes, etc.).

The most I've ever spent was $20 for two different Tech N9ne concerts.

I've been to plenty of free shows.

Frosty
02-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Man, I have no idea. Most of my concert were metal bands in the '80's and I don't remember them being expensive. $20-30 maybe?

The last concert I saw was The Cure in '93 in Seattle. I think tickets were around $40 each for mid-level seats.

KCbroncoHATER
02-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Man that was wild time. People putting up signs in front of their tents about what drugs were for sale inside etc. People having sex out in the open or leaving their tent flaps open. A much different time.

Do you remember the tunnel? I was standing at one of the openings when the crowd parted and this naked blond chick walked by with two dobermans(on leashes) in front of her leading the way.

That was one hell of a party.

BigRedChief
02-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Do you remember the tunnel? I was standing at one of the openings when the crowd parted and this naked blond chick walked by with two dobermans(on leashes) in front of her leading the way.

That was one hell of a party.
They don't make em like that anymore. :rolleyes:

soundmind
02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Tons of free concerts...and I think the most I've spent (or ever would spend) was like $50-$60, but that was for multiple stage efforts like Lolla and Ozzfest, back when they were worth attending. Most for a single act was probably $50, that extremely short list includes Tool and The Smashing Pumpkins.

Then again, I'm only nearing 30. I completely missed my decade, I really think I should have lived my father's time.

rambleonthruthefog
02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
the wife and i just dropped $165/person for Cirque de Soleil "O" in Vegas. also dropped $55/person for the "price is right" in vegas. i once paid over $100 bucks for WSP NOLAWEEN tix through ebay. usual ticket price i pay is between $25-$65 for a concert/comedian/play,etc.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2010, 02:36 PM
The most I ever paid was $75 (x3) to see the Eagles.

The least I ever paid was $0 to see Tracy Chapman open for Bob Dylan. And I still wanted a refund. And to kill the people who convinced me to go see it. :#

LMAO You should've looked at them after the opening song and said "Give me one reason to stay here, or I'll turn right back around."

When I was a wee lad growing up in the early 90's Grunge was hitting the scene. And I lived in it's birthplace. The local rock station KISW used to have Friday night concerts at the mural in Seattle Center called "Pain in the Grass" shows. They were free. We went every week, and saw bands that would charge big bucks in the years to follow.

I've paid over $70 for a ticket to see Tool and Rush. Other than that, I won't spend more than $50 to see a show. Needless to say, I haven't been to a concert in a while.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I also won passes from 107.7 The End to see a band a few years ago named Tantric cut some studio tracks in one of the Seattle studios. Had a meet and greet with them afterwards and they invited me and my buddy to their show at the Crocodile Cafe that night. Guests of the band. That was fucking cool.

Tantric was pretty much all the guys from Dayz of the New minus their lead singer.

tooge
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Metalica for free a few years ago. Friends company had a suite. Then Y & T for 5 bucks in college. I also saw Guns and Roses in 1986 before they were anybody at the student union at SDSU for 3 or 4 bucks cover.

Dartgod
02-11-2010, 02:45 PM
I've seen a few for free, from winning a radio contest or whatever. The best free one was The Eagles @ Kemper. It was The Long Run Tour, I believe.

I've also paid less than $10 to see Styx, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, Journey and many more back in the 70's. I still have ticket stubs from most of them.

I've also paid $100+ to see Aerosmith, Jimmy Buffett, (the upcoming) Bon Jovi and others.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Cheapest: Free. I'm very, very fortunate in that regard.

Most expensive: Rush at the Hollywood Bowl. I paid $225 dollars for a good ticket, only to blow out my MCL the day before. I didn't even get to see the show because I couldn't walk (that lasted 4 weeks), so I gave the ticket to a friend.

Easy 6
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
$120 for the Van Halen reunion in STL, which they then proceeded to cancel not once, but ****ing twice, so Eddie could hit rehab & stop pretending it was 1979 all over again... :mad:.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Most expensive: Rush at the Hollywood Bowl. I paid $225 dollars for a good ticket, only to blow out my MCL the day before. I didn't even get to see the show because I couldn't walk (that lasted 4 weeks), so I gave the ticket to a friend.

:(

I had no clue you were a Rush fan. I know I'll take shit for it on this site, but those guys are my heroes. I absolutely love everything they've ever done. They helped shape my personality growing up, as retarded as that may sound. There is not a bigger fan on the face of this planet.

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Free: More concerts than I can count.

Most I've paid was $75 twice. Once to see U2's Zoo Station tour at the old Busch Stadium from the front row, and in August to see Kings Of Leon at The Joint @ Hard Rock Vegas.

Stewie
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Several free concerts, including:

Chuck Mangione
Glenn Miller Orchestra (they were awesome). No, I'm not that old, but his legacy band was great.

The Police/Elvis Costello - I think it was $95 for upper tickets and a ton of surcharges.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM

I had no clue you were a Rush fan. I know I'll take shit for it on this site, but those guys are my heroes. I absolutely love everything they've ever done. They helped shape my personality growing up, as retarded as that may sound. There is not a bigger fan on the face of this planet.

I was a huge fan in junior high and high school but not much after that. In 2003, after nearly 20 years of not listening to Rush, I purchased every CD up until Grace Under Pressure and I'll occasionally listen to those records. I just got really burned out.

I was really excited to see them in 2007, especially at the Hollywood Bowl, which is the greatest venue in America in my opinion. Maybe another time...

Frosty
02-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Rush was my first concert, when I was a sophomore in high school (1980). It was the tour for the Permanent Waves album and I saw them in Portland. As well as I can remember it, it was a great concert. :D

The weird thing was that .38 Special was the opening band. That was a strange pairing.

Easy 6
02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
My first real concert was the Beach Boys in 1982 at the Illinois State Fair.

Wasnt really into it a bit, i would appreciate it MUCH more these days, i'm sure.

And Eddie Rabbit the next year at the same venue... i used to LOVE 'ol Eddie Ragbit, iirc i liked his show much better LMAO, Drivin My Life Way & 'well i love a rainy, i love a rainy night...', ahh youth...

He wrote Kentucky Rain for Elvis.

kc rush
02-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I saw the Rainmakers do a four song (acoustic) set at Streetside Records for free as a part of the release of their Skin album. I saw them again soon after that at the Beaumont Club for probably $25-$30.

I've seen Cheap Trick at the Beaumont a couple of times for $25-30 and saw them at the Iowa State Fair in the early 90's for around $20 (always great shows).

I saw the Smithereens in college (Kirksville) for probably $10 in the early 90's.

I paid $85 - $90 a couple of years ago to see Rush.

kc rush
02-11-2010, 03:29 PM

That sucks. Your friend owes you big time. The good news is that they may be touring again this summer.

RJ
02-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Back in the 70's I saw bands like Jethro Tull, Yes, ELP, Doobies, Boston, Genesis, etc. and the tickets usually went for about $15. I can remember being able to raise enough cash for a ticket just by cutting a few lawns or shoveling snow.

The most recent concert I saw was Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt. Those were about $75 a pop.

Prices have changed a little over the years. Fortunately, I don't have to cut anyone's grass these days.

DeepPurple
02-11-2010, 03:31 PM
The most was for the Amnesty Int'l Show at the Omni in Atlanta 1986 for $36, it included U2, the Police, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Adams and Neville Bros.

In the early 80's I usually paid about $10 at Savannah Civic Center where I caught the Foreigner 4 tour, Def Leppard Pyromania, Scorpions Love at First Sting among others.

It wasn't until the mid to late 80's before I paid double digits, like $15 for U2 on the Unforgettable Fire tour in Jacksonville 1986, $15 for REM on Fables tour and then $20 for Pink Floyd in Atlanta 1988. In the 90's I saw many shows for only $20 at Merriweather Pavillion outdoor on the lawn in Columbia, MD. A few of them are 1995 Boston, 1996 Styx & Kansas, 1997 Steppenwolf, Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult & Pat Travers, 1997 Jethro Tull & ELP, 1998 Grand Funk original lineup.

Going back to the 60's and 70's I sometimes paid as little as $5.50 for Uriah Heep Wonderworld Tour 1974, Deep Purple Machine Head 1972, Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick 1972.

In the late 70's I paid about $7.50 for Journey Departure tour, Styx Pieces of Eight tour, Blackfoot Strikes tour, Billy Squier Emotion in Emotion, and so on.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Rush was my first concert, when I was a sophomore in high school (1980). It was the tour for the Permanent Waves album and I saw them in Portland. As well as I can remember it, it was a great concert. :D

The weird thing was that .38 Special was the opening band. That was a strange pairing.

That is a weird pairing. I actually went and saw them multiple times, but I believe it was their 30th anniversary tour when they broke out my favorite song from the vault which happened to come off of the Permanent Waves album. Natural Science. It's so obscure I thought they did it just for me. :D

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Oh....I guess the cheapest would be free.....but I had to work security at the concert. It was Styx, Survivor and Creedence Clearwater Revisited. I guess you could say I got paid to go to that concert.

I worked at Kemper back in the early 80's got paid to see the likes of ELO,The Rolling Stones,Dan Folgelberg etc.

RJ
02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Wait, free concerts.....yeah, I won tickets on the radio to see Squeeze back around '81 or so. Free is a good price.

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Most: IIRC, $100 for scalped McCartney tickets in Atlanta in 1989 or 90.

Least: Would have to have been Frampton at Greensboro in 77 ... back then, probably $10 or so.

Boy those were the days. I recently bought tickets to Porcupine Tree at the House of Blues in Orlando for April. They were $25 each for standing room only. I thought, Hey, that's damn good, considering. So I go online and order them (two, one for me, one for my son) -- they each had like a $12 "ticket charge" or somesuch bullshit fee, on top of tax of course. So the roughly $50-$60 expense I was expecting became $85. Out-fucking-rageous.

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Speaking of weird pairings I once saw Molly Hatchet open for KISS,talk about 2 different sets of fans.

Frosty
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
That is a weird pairing. I actually went and them multiple times, but I believe it was their 30th anniversary tour when they broke out my favorite song from the vault which happened to come off of the Permanent Waves album. Natural Science. It's so obscure I thought they did it just for me. :D

It's funny but I didn't really care for any of their stuff after Permanent Waves, so I kind of lost track of them.

Probably TMI but I lost my virginity to Permanent Waves, so it will always hold a special place to me. :D

RJ
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
The most was for the Amnesty Int'l Show at the Omni in Atlanta 1986 for $36, it included U2, the Police, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Adams and Neville Bros.

In the early 80's I usually paid about $10 at Savannah Civic Center where I caught the Foreigner 4 tour, Def Leppard Pyromania, Scorpions Love at First Sting among others.

It wasn't until the mid to late 80's before I paid double digits, like $15 for U2 on the Unforgettable Fire tour in Jacksonville 1986, $15 for REM on Fables tour and then $20 for Pink Floyd in Atlanta 1988. In the 90's I saw many shows for only $20 at Merriweather Pavillion outdoor on the lawn in Columbia, MD. A few of them are 1995 Boston, 1996 Styx & Kansas, 1997 Steppenwolf, Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult & Pat Travers, 1997 Jethro Tull & ELP, 1998 Grand Funk original lineup.

Going back to the 60's and 70's I sometimes paid as little as $5.50 for Uriah Heep Wonderworld Tour 1974, Deep Purple Machine Head 1972, Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick 1974.

In the late 70's I paid about $7.50 for Journey Departure tour, Styx Pieces of Eight tour, Blackfoot Strikes tour, Billy Squier Emotion in Emotion, and so on.

I saw lots of those summer shows at Merriweather. Good times.

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Most: . I recently bought tickets to Porcupine Tree at the House of Blues in Orlando for April.

Color me jealous,I would so love to see them again.

kc rush
02-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Consider me a fellow retard, but we've had this discussion before.

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Color me jealous,I would so love to see them again.

Well, at least you've seen them. It'll be a first for me. And, brother, I haven't been this stoked for a concert in years.

Frazod
02-11-2010, 03:38 PM

I had tickets to see Boston/Cheap Trick back in '96, and a couple of weeks before the show Tom Scholz broke his leg or arm or something and they cancelled. Never worked out that I got to see them again, and now that Brad Delp's dead I have no desire to. :(

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Wait, free concerts.....yeah, I won tickets on the radio to see Squeeze back around '81 or so. Free is a good price.

I'm going to admit this but I once won a Footloose dance contest and won a pair of tickets to see Berlin and The Thompson Twins at Starlight.

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Well, at least you've seen them. It'll be a first for me. And, brother, I haven't been this stoked for a concert in years.

Stoked you should be,they're not just great in concert they're focking incredible.You do know they have a live concert DVD out right?

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Stoked you should be,they're not just great in concert they're focking incredible.You do know they have a live concert DVD out right?

Yep, but I don't want to watch it until I see them live. I've watched some Youtube vids over the years, of course, but I'm trying to save myself for that night. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2010, 03:43 PM
It's funny but I didn't really care for any of their stuff after Permanent Waves, so I kind of lost track of them.

Probably TMI but I lost my virginity to Permanent Waves, so it will always hold a special place to me. :D

ROFL Science like nature, must also be tamed.

02-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire 2009 - Free for my birthday(thanks to a friend)
U2 2002 in Denver - $120 tickets plus travel expenses.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty lucky. Ive been to hundreds of shows in my life, and frankly don't remember EVER paying. I miss the good old days of payola. lol

DeepPurple
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Speaking of weird pairings I once saw Molly Hatchet open for KISS,talk about 2 different sets of fans.

The weirdest has got to be.............. Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees!!!

It happened about 8 times, then parents of all the little 14 year old kids seeing the Monkees were freaked out by Jimi. Of course, Hendrix was soon a headliner anyway.

By by RJ: I saw lots of those summer shows at Merriweather. Good times. Today 04:35 PMFor a while they were going to close Merriweather down and use the land for something else. However, they've kept it open but don't get as many concerts, and very few of the classic acts.

Whoever is a RUSH fan should see the movie "I Love You Man" with Paul Rudd. The movie wasn't half bad, but the Rush part is really cool.

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Yep, but I don't want to watch it until I see them live. I've watched some Youtube vids over the years, of course, but I'm trying to save myself for that night. :D

Damn,I just left their site and see that they're in Chicago on Friday April 30th,I've got a call in to my best friend who's also a huge fan...ROADTRIP!!

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Damn,I just left their site and see that they're in Chicago on Friday April 30th,I've got a call in to my best friend who's also a huge fan...ROADTRIP!!

:clap:

blaise
02-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I once saw Metallica open for Ozzy. That was a nice pairing.

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 03:54 PM

in '78 I went to a general admission show to see headliner Black Sabbath(before Ozzy was gone) and the opening act was a little band that was really starting to create a stir called Van Halen.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I had tickets to see Boston/Cheap Trick back in '96, and a couple of weeks before the show Tom Scholz broke his leg or arm or something and they cancelled. Never worked out that I got to see them again, and now that Brad Delp's dead I have no desire to. :(

That really sucks.

I still don't know why Delp committed suicide.

MOhillbilly
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
man i have noooo idea. Ive seen hundreds and hundreds of HC/punks bills for free.
Most expensive was the 1st or 2nd lalapalooza, dumb whore i was with at the time wanted to go.
Whore.

seclark
02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
man i have noooo idea. Ive seen hundreds and hundreds of HC/punks bills for free.
Most expensive was the 1st or 2nd lalapalooza, dumb whore i was with at the time wanted to go.
Whore.

LMAO i love you, man.LMAO
sec

Frazod
02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
That really sucks.

I still don't know why Delp committed suicide.

That was a bad fucking weekend. Richard Jeni (one of my favorite comedians) killed himself on Friday and then Delp went on Saturday.

Whoarethechefs
02-11-2010, 04:02 PM
1979 - Ted Nugent - $12
Aerosmith
Foreigner

2009 - The Police - $285 per seat (Didnt want to, but it was on the wifes bucket list)

Frosty
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Both times I saw Ozzy, Motley Crue opened for him. It was a nice pairing musically and was fun too, because the Crue members kept coming on stage during Ozzy's set and messed with him.

seclark
02-11-2010, 04:11 PM
1979 - Ted Nugent - $12
Aerosmith
Foreigner

2009 - The Police - $285 per seat (Didnt want to, but it was on the wifes bucket list)

i saw nugent play in a bar in quincy, il. a few years before that. think it was $1 cover charge to get in.
sec

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
i saw nugent play in a bar in quincy, il. a few years before that. think it was $1 cover charge to get in.
sec

Did you feel like you wasted your dollar?

I was like 12 at the time but seriously, I was really bummed to find out that Nugent didn't even sing most of the time, if ever. It was Derek St. Hubbins.

jAZ
02-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Lowest: I worked for a summer in 1995 in the backstage kitchen at Sandstone. So I got paid to have backstage passes to Van Halen, Beck, REO Speedwagon, Hole, Sonic Youth, Cypress Hill, Pavement, Sinéad O'Connor, Reba McEntyre, Coolio and a bunch more.

Highest: $100, U2 this last October was the most. Unless you count travel and related costs for going to Mexico to see Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers concerts twice a year . While those concert tickets were only $25 each, I'd typically spend a couple hundred for the weekend.

jAZ
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Not sure that beats having my backstage pass signed by Beck, Coolio and Sinéad O'Conner while eating dinner backstage at Lollapalooza 1995. :)

Nzoner
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Did you feel like you wasted your dollar?

I was like 12 at the time but seriously, I was really bummed to find out that Nugent didn't even sing most of the time, if ever. It was Derek St. Hubbins.

You mean Derek St Holmes?

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Hahahahaha, Dane had "Spinal Tap" on his mind!

http://gliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/spinaltap2.jpg

CosmicPal
02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I still have my Kiss & Molly Hatchet ticket stub at Municipal Auditorium in KCMO. The cost on the ticket states $10.19 with .61 tax and .20 User Fee. Total price of the ticket $11.00.

Not sure about the year because it's not listed on the ticket stub. I was just a kid and this was my second show.

CosmicPal
02-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I used to work concerts in Denver, so I got to see a lot of great bands for free.

I was dating a gal who worked for an ad agency in Denver too. Her agency handed her a couple of tickets to Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Got to go to that one FREE!

I remember years ago, a friend of mine and I went to see Genesis at Kemper Arena. We didn't have any tickets and were hoping to score some tickets when we got there. We couldn't find any so we went to the rear of the arena and hopped the rail and ran down the aisle. We knew the ticket gal couldn't leave her post and they just left her standing there checking tickets all alone. We criminal boys took advantage of it. Heehee. Anyways, we walked around Kemper looking for a seat in a sold-out arena and as soon as the lights darkened we spotted a couple of seats in 3rd row on the floor. Again, someone was left manning their post alone and we just walked down to the floor while a crowd gathered around the guy and we just slipped by him and strolled casually over to the empty seats to watch Genesis.

A few moments later, we hear a loud boom, the lights went out, and Phil Collins started cursing like a drunken Irishman and stormed off the stage. The power went out! This gave one of the security guards an opportunity to approach us and check our tickets when we just looked at each other and walked out.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 05:20 PM

LMAO

David St. Hubbins was in Spinal Tap. Saint Hubbins was the patron saint of quality footwear.

I was just messing around with his name.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-11-2010, 05:30 PM
So let me get this straight. Nugent's drummer spontaneously combusted?

EyePod
02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I saw Jordan Knight (Terrible), Shaggy (Enjoyable, obviously not amazing or anything but definitely fun), Blessed Union of Souls (Really great) for free.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I got to see Pink Floyd for free. Twice. It kicked SO much ass.

cardken
02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Saw 8 straight weeks of shows @ the Grand Old Opry in Nashville from a radio contest this past year, acts were Vince Gill, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, amongst others.
Never paid to see a single Vegas show while I lived there, either. acts included, Tom Jones, Randy Travis, Cirque "Love", the Fab Four, Trent "the King" Carlini, Penn and Teller, Chris Angel and Barry Manilow, David Spade, Kevin James, Ray Ramano, Dennis Miller, Dwight Youkum, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Faith Hill, Rodney Carrington, Toby Keith and Kenny Rogers to name a few.
Most paid? 125 Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" Tour, their first far awhile tour

stumppy
02-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I think it was $6.50 I paid to see STYX back around 1972.

MahiMike
02-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Most I've paid to date is probably $50 to see the Stones. I'd pay $200 to see Neil Young or Mark Knopfler. Cheapest and best concert I ever went to was last Friday night at this place:

http://www.bradfordvilleblues.com/

It's out in the boonies on a washed out dirt road and only fits 75 people and you're right on top of the band. Never saw so many college girls dancing to blues. During their breaks, we went outside to a big bonfire and partied alongside the band. Pretty awesome for $13.

MahiMike
02-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Sweetage! My #3 all time band.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Sweetage! My #3 all time band.Got to see the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour @ Arrowhead, then the Division Bell in Dallas. The record company flew my wife & I down, paid for hotel & all.

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 06:01 PM

I hate you with the burning intensity of 1,000 suns.

Frazod
02-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I hate you with the burning intensity of 1,000 suns.

THIS

:deevee:

Fat Elvis
02-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I've seen plenty of bands for free.

Best deal for paying for a concert, however, has to be seeing U2 twice at $5 a pop. This was when they were filming for Rattle and Hum. They played two shows at Sun Devil Stadium and said that you could pay $5 to see the movie or pay $5 and be a part of the movie.

I thought that was pretty cool.

WilliamTheIrish
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Summer of 1975 I had to go to San Diego with my Mom and one of my brothers so my Mom could settle the estate of my Aunt. On the way back we drove through Las Vegas. Mom loved Vegas and we stayed three days. My brother heard on the radio that YES was playing and picked up two tickets. I got to see them in their prime for $10 bucks at UNLV stadium.
Saw The Dead at red Rocks in 77/78 for under $10. Been a long time so I don't really remember what the exact proice was.

Paid pretty good money to see Pearl Jam at Red Rocks in 95 maybe 96. I think Bad Religion opened the show. Damn they were outstanding and that venue is such a great place to see a show it made the money spent seem inconsequential.

Opened with Jeremy and closed with Better Man and Yellow Ledbetter. What a great time that was.

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 08:23 PM
My brother heard on the radio that YES was playing and picked up two tickets. I got to see them in their prime for $10 bucks at UNLV stadium.

I hate you with the fiery intensity of 1,000 volcanoes.

CosmicPal
02-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Saw The Dead at red Rocks in 77/78 for under $10.

That would've been sweet. My favorite time-period for the Dead and their live performances.

Paid pretty good money to see Pearl Jam at Red Rocks in 95 maybe 96...Opened with Jeremy and closed with Better Man and Yellow Ledbetter. What a great time that was.

That reminds me...I got to see Pearl Jam FREE at the very first Day on the Hill in Lawrence. Their first video had just launched on MTV and some friends and I drove up there to check them out. Little did we know they were going to become the enigmatic act that they are today.

WilliamTheIrish
02-11-2010, 08:42 PM
That would've been sweet. My favorite time-period for the Dead and their live performances.

That reminds me...I got to see Pearl Jam FREE at the very first Day on the Hill in Lawrence. Their first video had just launched on MTV and some friends and I drove up there to check them out. Little did we know they were going to become the enigmatic act that they are today.

Are you kidding me? I never knew they even played at DotH.

CosmicPal
02-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Yep...I still have the program guide to the event stashed away somewhere.

CosmicPal
02-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Wow!! Found this video on YouTube. Pearl Jam at DotH. We had to be just a few feet from where this guy was shooting the camera.

Funny thing is, I was going to say that the one thing I remember was how Eddie Vedder climbed all over the scaffolding and impressed the hell out of me with his climbing around- this is all on the video. Lousy sound, but great video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyxkgHip2t8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyxkgHip2t8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CanadianChief
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I paid about $150 for ACDC last year at an outdoor stadium concert. Best concert I've seen and worth every penny. Cheapest was free tickets we got to go see Rod Stewart.

WilliamTheIrish
02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I hate you with the fiery intensity of 1,000 volcanoes.

You know what? I knew even then as a teenager that I had seen a pretty special show. Squire, Howe, Wakeman and White. It's not often I hear a song from YES on the radio, but it takes me right back to that show and I can remember Squire walking across the stage, taking the mic after a pause in the first set and saying:

Are you having a good time tonight?? [crowd roars as the scent of weed wafts through the air] It sure smells like it"!! [crowd goes wild]

An experience that I'll never forget.

WilliamTheIrish
02-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Great find Cosmic.

siberian khatru
02-11-2010, 09:05 PM
You know what? I knew even then as a teenager that I had seen a pretty special show. Squire, Howe, Wakeman and White. It's not often I hear a song from YES on the radio, but it takes me right back to that show and I can remember Squire walking across the stage, taking the mic after a pause in the first set and saying:

Are you having a good time tonight?? [crowd roars as the scent of weed wafts through the air] It sure smells like it"!! [crowd goes wild]

An experience that I'll never forget.

If it was 75, it would've been Moraz, not Wakeman. Either way, it would've been a great time to see them, and I am envious.

RJ
02-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Summer of 1975 I had to go to San Diego with my Mom and one of my brothers so my Mom could settle the estate of my Aunt. On the way back we drove through Las Vegas. Mom loved Vegas and we stayed three days. My brother heard on the radio that YES was playing and picked up two tickets. I got to see them in their prime for $10 bucks at UNLV stadium.
Saw The Dead at red Rocks in 77/78 for under $10. Been a long time so I don't really remember what the exact proice was.

Paid pretty good money to see Pearl Jam at Red Rocks in 95 maybe 96. I think Bad Religion opened the show. Damn they were outstanding and that venue is such a great place to see a show it made the money spent seem inconsequential.

Opened with Jeremy and closed with Better Man and Yellow Ledbetter. What a great time that was.

I saw Yes in 1976 at an all day outdoor concert w/Pousette-Dart Band, Ace, Gary Wright and Peter Frampton. I had to look that up. I remember Frampton and Gary Wright, I had forgotten the other two. Place was packed, but I remember I managed to work my way up to the edge of the stage for Yes. They were still playing at what must have been the pre-determined cutoff time and the promoters just cut the power. The band didn't realize what had happened at first. They were still singing, then they all just sort of looked at each other and walked off. It was a helluva day.

Anyhow, I don't remember what that show cost but it couldn't have been much since I was 17 at the time. I'd bet on under $20.

Mastashake
02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
A friend of mine took me to a concert once. I went to pay and it was a dollar. That seemed rather sad to me. They weren't bad.

The most was to see the Rolling Stones. Lets just say they were pricey.

Goldmember
02-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Anyone who would pay $2500 to see Van Halen needs their ****ing head examined. You couldn't pay me $100 to sit in the front row of a VH concert.

No shit man, for that price, they'd have to thrown in three high dollar hookers, dinner, penthouse, limo, and all the liquor and drugs you could handle....and I'd still have to think about it.

02-12-2010, 01:30 AM
I had tickets to see Boston/Cheap Trick back in '96, and a couple of weeks before the show Tom Scholz broke his leg or arm or something and they cancelled. Never worked out that I got to see them again, and now that Brad Delp's dead I have no desire to. :(I missed out on seeing Genesis back in 87 due to Phil getting a cold the day of our show. Of course, our show was the original show but the tickets sold so fast they created a second show the day before the original. So basically, the people that weren't fast enough to get tickets for the original show got to see them while those of us that planned and got our tickets missed out.

That is still a sore spot for me to this day. Especially in that I will never get to see Genesis in concert now. That was also the last time they came to KC.

Oh, and don't forget the ticketmaster fees that don't get refunded.

tk13
02-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Cheapest was free, like many others.

Most expensive was 100+ dollars plus all the extra fees to see Genesis in 2007. And it was worth every penny.

02-12-2010, 02:36 AM
:mad::huh:Cheapest was free, like many others.

Most expensive was 100+ dollars plus all the extra fees to see Genesis in 2007. And it was worth every penny.

stumppy
02-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Along with (as I posted earlier) paying $6.50 to se STYX around 1972 I seen Three Dog Night for the price of 3 empty Coke cans.

WilliamTheIrish
02-12-2010, 06:38 AM
I saw Yes in 1976 at an all day outdoor concert w/Pousette-Dart Band, Ace, Gary Wright and Peter Frampton. I had to look that up. I remember Frampton and Gary Wright, I had forgotten the other two. Place was packed, but I remember I managed to work my way up to the edge of the stage for Yes. They were still playing at what must have been the pre-determined cutoff time and the promoters just cut the power. The band didn't realize what had happened at first. They were still singing, then they all just sort of looked at each other and walked off. It was a helluva day.

Anyhow, I don't remember what that show cost but it couldn't have been much since I was 17 at the time. I'd bet on under $20.

RJ,

ACE opened at this show also. Forgot about that. There big hit at the time was "How long..... Has this been going on?

Nzoner
02-12-2010, 06:51 AM
RJ,

ACE opened at this show also. Forgot about that. There big hit at the time was "How long..... Has this been going on?

Just an FYI on the band Ace but Paul Carrack played keyboards and sang in that band,you might recall his name as later on he played with Roxy Music,Squeeze and Mike & The Mechanics as well as some solo stuff.

siberian khatru
02-12-2010, 07:06 AM
I missed out on seeing Genesis back in 87 due to Phil getting a cold the day of our show. Of course, our show was the original show but the tickets sold so fast they created a second show the day before the original. So basically, the people that weren't fast enough to get tickets for the original show got to see them while those of us that planned and got our tickets missed out.

That is still a sore spot for me to this day. Especially in that I will never get to see Genesis in concert now. That was also the last time they came to KC.

Heh, you're talking about me. I went to the first show ... had seats BEHIND the stage. But it was OK, and afterwards the band came to the back of the stage and took bows and waved at all of us schlubs, which I thought was classy.

Red Beans
02-12-2010, 07:16 AM
I paid $0 to see Everclear in 1999 and several years later I paid $200 to go get cah-razy at Bonnaroo.

black angus
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I paid 6 bucks to see Three Dog Night in 1971 in Manhattan, and 6 bucks for Alice Cooper billion dollar babies concert in Lawrence in 1972. I did see Kansas at a local bar in Hutch in the early 70's, but they weren't famous yet and it cost about $3 to get in.

I've never paid over 15 dollars for a concert, Earl Scruggs his family and friends,and the Doobie Brothers.

38yrsfan
02-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Cal Jam II, around $20 maybe, not sure, a bunch of us GIs pooled our money and went .... crazy times.

Ted Nugent
Aerosmith
Santana
Heart
Foreigner
Dave Mason
Welch with Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood
and couple others ......

Had the most fun though at an Eagles concert at Mile High in the 70s ... home of the enemy

RJ
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I missed out on seeing Genesis back in 87 due to Phil getting a cold the day of our show. Of course, our show was the original show but the tickets sold so fast they created a second show the day before the original. So basically, the people that weren't fast enough to get tickets for the original show got to see them while those of us that planned and got our tickets missed out.

I saw Genesis back in 1977 in Baltimore. It was their first tour after Peter Gabriel left. They had two sets of drums on stage, for Collins and Chester Thompson, and I believe that was Thompson's first tour with them. I remember the drums coming out of doors in giant mushrooms. Or I may have eaten some mushrooms, which might be making me misremember.

Dartgod
02-13-2010, 08:37 AM
I pulled out some old ticket stubs.

Styx
$9.50 in '78
$11.00 year unknown
$12.50 in '84

Van Halen
$10.00 year unkown
$10.50 in '82
$13.50 in '84
$15.00 in '86

Ozzie Osborne
$14.00 in '86

Queen
$9.50 year unknown

Journey/Blackfoot
$8.50 in '79

Foreigner
$10.25 in '81

Nazereth
$9.50 in '81

Molly Hatchet
$9.00 in '79

Deep Purple
$13.50 in '85

Pink Floyd
$22.50 in '88

Summer Jam @ Arrowhead - REO Speedwagon, Ted Nugent, John Cougar & Rainbow
$15.00 in '82

Triumph
$5.99 in '79

Rush
$9.50 year unknown
$18.50 in '90
$20.00 in '94

Cheap Trick
$9.00 in '80

ZZ Top
$20.00 in '90

cdcox
02-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Cheapest: $2 to see Shooting Star on campus at Mizzou the night John Lennon was killed.

Most expensive: ? I'm guessing maybe $50. I saw DMB in an open air concert in the early '90s. That was the last big concert I went to.

cdcox
02-13-2010, 08:55 AM
I had tickets for the Yes show scheduled for Kemper before the roof caved. Anyone else planning to go to that show?

"Bob" Dobbs
02-13-2010, 01:08 PM
I had tickets for the Yes show scheduled for Kemper before the roof caved. Anyone else planning to go to that show?Yeah. I was planning on going to that show. Didn't that happen the night after a Rod Stewart show?