PDA

View Full Version : Misc Learning CPR is Important!

gblowfish
02-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I've had some distraction this week. There's a bunch of friends of mine, and every year in October we go to the Lake of the Ozarks for what we call "The WMD: Weekend of Mass Destruction." We've been doing it for about 10 years now.

Superbowl Sunday, my pal (we'll call him "Fred") and his wife was watching the game at Mr. Doggity's house. They had chili and beers and watched the game with their wives and kids scurrying around.

Monday night Fred had a heart attack that almost killed him. His wife did CPR on him frantically till the paramedics arrived. He's been in ICU since Monday, and just woke up and realized where he was this afternoon. It was touch and go for several days, and he's still not out of the woods, but he's stable now.

My friend Mr. Doggity happens to work at the same hospital where Fred is in ICU now. Got this email from Mr. Doggity about getting to talk to Fred after he came out of the fog from all the drugs and stuff. Here's the e-mail:

Well, he's back!
He's still groggy as hell, and his short-term memory is fuzzy, but then he's had enough Versed pumped through him to keep him high for a week. He asked me where he was, and what happened. I told him his heart stopped Monday night, and (wife) did CPR and the paramedics shocked him and brought him to the hospital. His reply was, "My wife saved my life?" and I said, yes. He said, "Sh*t! Now I owe her!" And then he laughed and said, "I love my wife, you know that." And I said, yeah.

I said, your nurse gave you a sponge bath this morning and you slept through it. He said, "Get her back in here, I need another one."

I said, what day is it, do you know? He said, "I figure it's Tuesday night." I told him it was Friday, and he said, "I've pissed off a whole week? Did anyone call my work?" I told him that everyone knew what was going on.

I said, can I get you anything? He said, "A beer would be nice." I laughed and said it was good to have him back.

As I was leaving the room, he said, "Your f*ing chili did this!" and he laughed.

(end of email)

Anyway, I hope Fred will make a full recovery. He's a stellar guy, and the world is a better place with him in it. I'm sure his wife will be extra thankful this Valentine's Day to have him around.

And thanks to CPR training for the shoestring catch. It does save lives, no doubt about it.

Buck
02-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Awesome story.

Sounds like he has a great sense of humor and is at peace with his life.

Pants
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Story made my day better. Sounds like an awesome dude, I wish him a speedy recovery so he can "thank" his wife in whatever way she wants.

Iowanian
02-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Absolutely.

I can't recall the percentage, but its a very high chance you'll end up using it on someone close to you, but it sure doesn't hurt to have the ability to help a stranger.

I've never done CPR, but I've used the heimlich twice, the first time I was 12-13.

Gonzo
02-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm a licensed CPR/FA/AED instructor for the Red Cross and the National Safety Council.
It's a skill that you hope you never need but you get a feeling of relief when you know you have that ace up your sleeve.

I made damn sure I was up to date when Lumpy and I had our boy. Child and infant CPR is totally different than adult CPR, (obviously) and I made sure Lumpy knew what she was doing if that need ever present itself.

If anyone want's to know how or who to contact in their area, shoot me a PM.
The NSC is a far more basic and affordable program the the Red Cross by the way.

rockymtnchief
02-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Child and infant CPR is totally different than adult CPR, (obviously) and I made sure Lumpy knew what she was doing if that need ever present itself.

The NSC is a far more basic and affordable program the the Red Cross by the way.

Very good point!:thumb:

Luckily, my company makes us have a safety meeting once a month. One of those meetings is dedicated to nothing but CPR (adult, child, and infant).

Dartgod
02-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I've never done CPR, but I've used the heimlich twice, the first time I was 12-13.
Same here and I've used the heimlich once.

My wife and her mother and I were eating at Jess and Jim's and the MIL starts choking on a piece of prime rib. I got up and got her stood up and I started doing what I've seen on TV, but never had any training on whatsoever. I'll be damned if it didn't work. Nobody else in the restaurant had any idea anything was happening.

DMAC
02-12-2010, 04:10 PM
There's an app for that.

Iowanian
02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I've been certified in red cross and American heart both since college, but had been exposed to cpr in elementary school.

The hardest part is, they are different and change about every year....but I think having the basic idea of what you're doing with breaths and compressions increases someone's chance to live in an emergency.

Stewie
02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm on our First Aid Team at work and we get CPR training every year. If you've taken CPR in the past, it has changed in recent years. It might be a good idea to get in on a refresher course.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't have CPR training but do have other training that is handy. If you spend a lot of time on the farm or just riding the countryside you never know when animal masturbation will be needed. Just the other day this Antelope was hung in the fence and unable to get out, There was a doe in heat standing in front of him with her ears erect. Twenty minutes later I had him all relaxed and was able to free him from the death grip that barbed wire had on him.

teedubya
02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Awesome.

I was confused though... because I thought Blowfish was Mr. Doggity... and I know is also Fred.

Glad someone is better though. :-)

gblowfish
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Found out my pal "Fred" is going to have a Pacemaker put in on Wednesday, so he'll be in the hospital for at least another week. But they think he'll live, which is the important part.

milkman
02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm a licensed CPR/FA/AED instructor for the Red Cross and the National Safety Council.
It's a skill that you hope you never need but you get a feeling of relief when you know you have that ace up your sleeve.

I made damn sure I was up to date when Lumpy and I had our boy. Child and infant CPR is totally different than adult CPR, (obviously) and I made sure Lumpy knew what she was doing if that need ever present itself.

I (and my wife) had to learn infant CPR when my daughter was born before we got to take her home from the hospital in Tarzana, where whe was transfered to shortly after her birth.

Phobia
02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, haven't used CPR yet but it's been pounded into my brain.

I used the Heimlich in 1991 during GW1 to save a fellow Marine from sure death attempting to chew through some God-awful "steak" crap your tax dollars bought for us. Poor guy was literally choking to death standing up chewing what amounted to camel skin along with the occasional sinew and gristle chunk.