PDA

View Full Version : I keep hearing that Pioli and Chiefs scouts have their board done already

googlegoogle
02-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Is this true?

No need to even go to the combine then.

It would be interesting to hear the media's comments.

KCrockaholic
02-17-2010, 12:34 AM
And where have you been hearing this from?

RustShack
02-17-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm sure all teams have their board done.. that doesn't mean they wont change it after the combine and Pro Days.. but if for some reason they didn't, I wouldn't really have a problem with them going off what happens on the field rather than in shorts. But either way, your stupid if you think they aren't going to the combine.

|Zach|
02-17-2010, 12:37 AM
lol

mylittlepony
02-17-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm sure all teams have their board done.. that doesn't mean they wont change it after the combine and Pro Days.. but if for some reason they didn't, I wouldn't really have a problem with them going off what happens on the field rather than in shorts. But either way, your stupid if you think they aren't going to the combine.

With the exception of the raiders. :thumb:

Mecca
02-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Every team has a board done as of today where they could draft tomorrow if they really needed to, but guys will consistently move up and down that board over the course of the draft process.

Ebolapox
02-17-2010, 12:51 AM
...so it's a process?

RustShack
02-17-2010, 12:53 AM
...so it's a process?

Chiefs fans don't believe this. Shit is done instantly and so are the results.

Sfeihc
02-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Every team has a board done as of today where they could draft tomorrow if they really needed to, but guys will consistently move up and down that board over the course of the draft process.

This. By the time everyone goes to the combine they have a board done. That's why they employ scouts.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-17-2010, 10:03 AM
:shake:

Chiefnj2
02-17-2010, 10:05 AM
from nfl.com last year, the board isn't assembled until March:

The pre-draft attack

Preparation for each draft often encompasses an entire year. The repetition in video study and analysis sometimes seems infinite. The discussions and rankings of players voluminous.

Most NFL teams early in the process send their scouts nationwide to view players from the smallest to the biggest towns and schools. Teams combine information from national and league scouting services they employ with their own scout analysis.

Once the combine rolls around in February, NFL teams have a feel for players they like, while being open to those who flash at the combine.

Soon afterward, the NFL's version of "March Madness" arrives.

"I call that the period in March where players are having their private workouts on campuses," said Wooten, who spent his first 16 years in NFL personnel with Dallas and finished his career with Baltimore in 2003. "Most teams will send their position coaches out with scouts to those workouts to connect the player with the scheme and the team. Then you return and start building your board. Some teams rank players by need, but I always believed in ranking players by talent and always drafting them in that order. We would use clusters and bunches, giving ourselves three or four players that we liked at a certain draft spot. You are working to get that board to a point where you can't deny it, that you trust your people, your judgements, and that on draft day, if it is put together the way it should be, there is no sudden change."

Beathard, who won three of his Super Bowls as Washington's general manager, said he used exceptions.

"You hope you do have three or four guys you like at a certain spot, but let's say one ranks 8.0 on a scale of 10 and the next two are 6.9 and 6.5. In the early rounds, I would not jump down to the lower rated player. But in the later rounds, in that instance, it was a possibility, especially if you are talking about a position like offensive tackle and there is a need."

Mock drafts begin surfacing among fans and the news media several weeks before the draft. NFL teams create them, too.

This leads to the game of "What If's," Wooten said.

"You could always expect a call from Bobby before the draft and during it to talk about deals," Wooten said. "You had to prepare for his calls and other calls. Tex Schramm with the Cowboys used to always say, 'You have to scout everybody: Assistant coaches, head coaches, scouts, the teams.' You keep working your board before the draft, calling around, taking calls. You can't isolate yourself. You have to have an open door despite any shenanigans. You are guessing what the teams in front of you will do -- if they do this, then we can do that."

Coaches get involved on the final draft board. Oftentimes owners, too. Draft day arrives. "Trust your stuff," Beathard said.

Mr. Laz
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
1. there is no way in hell that the chiefs are going to let info about their draft board out.

2. i imagine every team has a preliminary draft board done but their board will continue to change on a weekly basis up until the day of the draft.

Chiefnj2
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
movethesticks twitter and web page:

"We had the same philosophy and system in place in both Baltimore and Cleveland. Each scout is assigned an area of the country to cover. We had cross-checker scouts (national scouts or college director) that also made a fall visit to study every draftable prospect. In the last week of November, we would send a third scout to visit the players that we had major interest in. After the college season was over, each scout was assigned a position to evaluate. During meetings, we would spend time going over each player. All of the fall reports would be read, all-star game evaluations and combine results would then be discussed. Then the scout that interviewed the player would discuss what he had gleaned from the conversation.

After all of the information was discussed, our GM would then ask the scouts to compare the player we just went over to other players at his position. Once we found a landing spot for him at his position, we compared him to players across the board that were given a similar grade. Eventually, we entered the draft with our list of 150 players in order. From there, it is pretty much paint by the numbers. We would just check off the names one by one until it was our turn to pick."

Fish
02-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey guys,

My sister is dating a guy who's cousin is a janitor at the Chiefs training facility..... and he said that.....

wild1
02-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey guys,

My sister is dating a guy who's cousin is a janitor at the Chiefs training facility..... and he said that.....

He also saw Scott Pioli pass out at 31 flavors last night.

I guess it's pretty serious.

B_Ambuehl
02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
After all of the information was discussed, our GM would then ask the scouts to compare the player we just went over to other players at his position. Once we found a landing spot for him at his position, we compared him to players across the board that were given a similar grade. Eventually, we entered the draft with our list of 150 players in order. From there, it is pretty much paint by the numbers. We would just check off the names one by one until it was our turn to pick."

And then you watch your GM/Owner/misc. suits ignore all of that and pick the worthless guy with all the hype.

It's gotta be tough being a scout watching other people continually f*ck up your work. Imagine how chiefs scouts felt last year when Peehole drafted Colin Brown. LOlz

Although in his case it does seem Baltimore is more scout friendly than most organizations.

RustShack
02-18-2010, 05:19 PM
The year Pioli was with the Ravens they drafted Lewis and Ogden.

Mecca
02-18-2010, 06:59 PM
And then you watch your GM/Owner/misc. suits ignore all of that and pick the worthless guy with all the hype.

It's gotta be tough being a scout watching other people continually f*ck up your work. Imagine how chiefs scouts felt last year when Peehole drafted Colin Brown. LOlz

Although in his case it does seem Baltimore is more scout friendly than most organizations.

If you believe what we've read the Chiefs essentially had no scouts for last years draft as Pioli essentially told them to get bent.

BigRedChief
02-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Is this true?

No need to even go to the combine then.

It would be interesting to hear the media's comments.I call :BS:

cabletech94
02-18-2010, 07:40 PM
He also saw Scott Pioli pass out at 31 flavors last night.

I guess it's pretty serious.

Lactose intolerant? :eek:

jjnunley
02-19-2010, 01:04 AM
There is one time the chiefs draft board will be complete and that is the night before the draft when pioli goes to bed. Of course that is if he sleeps that night. He could be up all night evaluating and then re-evaluating and then re-evaluating etc.......

RustShack
02-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Yeah I doubt he sleeps much that night.

Chiefnj2
02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
The best articles on scouting:

http://www.movethesticks.com/?cat=7

chiefzilla1501
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM

I think it's interesting that many claim that Pioli stole credit for his scouts' work in New England, but then the same people are suggesting that he's too stubborn to listen to his scouts.

The problems last year seem be due to freezing out scouts he didn't like. I don't like that decision. But I don't see any proof that this is a "continual" problem. He has his own scouts this year and he's never had a history in New England of not listening to other people.

Saccopoo
02-20-2010, 10:41 PM
The problems last year seem be due to freezing out scouts he didn't like. I don't like that decision. But I don't see any proof that this is a "continual" problem. He has his own scouts this year and he's never had a history in New England of not listening to other people.

Trade places with Scott. Would you really trust the scouting department of the Chiefs coming into the job of General Manager, especially knowing that you were going to be changing the way the defense and offense was going to be run? I mean, the best draft pick that Carl had since John Tait was Jared Allen, and he only consented to take him because he was a long snapper. There was never any real hope that he was going to be anything other than the center on special teams punt formations.

chiefzilla1501
02-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Trade places with Scott. Would you really trust the scouting department of the Chiefs coming into the job of General Manager, especially knowing that you were going to be changing the way the defense and offense was going to be run? I mean, the best draft pick that Carl had since John Tait was Jared Allen, and he only consented to take him because he was a long snapper. There was never any real hope that he was going to be anything other than the center on special teams punt formations.

I don't like the decision to freeze the scouts. They had a lot of valuable information, at the very least, on the offense and at least on CBs, Safeties, and ILBs, all of which would rely on fairly similar skill sets in a 4-3 or a 3-4. I wouldn't say you'd trust their word entirely, but they add some extra voices to the process. It was a mistake to freeze the scouts and to rely on the advice of 2 people to do the entire scouting process, especially given that Pioli wasn't the one who was actually going across the country doing all of the scouting. It showed--we should have been much better in later rounds and on the undrafted rookie wire, and we weren't.

Like I said, it's a 1-time thing. I don't see that being a continual problem now that the staff is in place. But it doesn't excuse the mistake.

Chiefshrink
02-21-2010, 11:17 PM

Totally agree. Hell, I agree with the freezing out. I mean look at the lack of talent Scott walked into here at Arrowhead 1:rolleyes:. You want "your own cabinet of scouts" who you know their work is good that "you trust".:thumb:

Willie Lanier
02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I would like to ask the identity of these sources claiming that a rigid draft board has already been finalized. I am to a fault a sympathetic optomist regarding my team, but I find it hard to believe their draft board is set in stone. Ideally you want to have a fairly good idea of who you value before the combine, that's the logical way to conduct the process.

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2010, 12:08 AM

I'm sorry, this is no way to run a successful business.

It's often helpful to hear the opinion of someone that has no stake in the outcome.

wild1
02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
I think it's interesting that many claim that Pioli stole credit for his scouts' work in New England, but then the same people are suggesting that he's too stubborn to listen to his scouts.

indeed