PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli Says Chiefs Will 'Absolutely' Keep Dorsey, DJough and that eve

|Zach|
02-17-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/2/17/1314509/pioli-says-chiefs-will-absolutely

Two names on the Kansas City Chiefs roster keep popping up in trade rumors: DE Glenn Dorsey and LB Derrick Johnson.

Dorsey because of his perceived struggles in the transition to a defensive end and Johnson because of his lack of playing time in 2009 and the perception that he was in Todd Haley's doghouse.

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli said on NBC-41 last night that, as of now, trading either player isn't in the cards.

"I saw Glenn actually play better this year than he did in his rookie year," he said. "Not only in my opinion, but every coach on the staff. He improved in year two, which is when you usually see a significant jump."

Dorsey's name has been thrown about recently because of some words Detroit Lions defensive coordinator said recently.

As for Johnson, Pioli said they "have every intent" of keeping him in a Chiefs uniform next year. Depending on the labor agreement, he's scheduled to be a restricted free agent which means the Chiefs can retain his services rather cheaply.

Of course, Pioli is a smart man and understands that if he says they're interested in trading either player their value would plummet.

GordonGekko
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
it is still way too early to abandon dorsey after just 2 years, and he deserves more time and has incredible talent to give up on him so early. plus he would probably go to another team and immediately become an all-pro considering this franchise's luck with getting rid of talented players. looks like pioli is very interested on keeping talent on the roster and is playing for the long term here.

johnson if we can retain him rather cheaply i don't see why he wouldn't have a spot on the 53 next year. again, with him i feel it will come down to economics. he has a lot of experience and is still pretty young and i like the fact that he has been a chief from day one..

Micjones
02-17-2010, 02:43 PM
The Chiefs still retain DJ's rights for another year, no?
I'd extend him, now, and keep him on.

It's not time to give up on Dorsey yet.

Mr. Kotter
02-17-2010, 02:46 PM
The Chiefs still retain DJ's rights for another year, no?
I'd extend him, now, and keep him on.

It's not time to give up on Dorsey yet.

Ditto

Mr. Laz
02-17-2010, 02:46 PM
iirc Derrick Johnson will be a RFA and can be retained cheap ... like 1.3 million.

i still imagine they would trade DJ in a heartbeat if they get a decent offer.

58kcfan89
02-17-2010, 03:08 PM
iirc Derrick Johnson will be a RFA and can be retained cheap ... like 1.3 million.

i still imagine they would trade DJ in a heartbeat if they get a decent offer.

This. Not so much on Dorsey, I'm glad to see that they all have seen improvement in him. But maybe Crennel thinks he can help out DJ?

BigRedChief
02-17-2010, 03:10 PM

i still imagine they would trade DJ in a heartbeat if they get a decent offer.I hear Haley is a big believer in DJ's potential. They get him cheap next year because of the CBA. But, will he ever be playing football?

Brock
02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
I hear Haley is a big believer in DJ's potential. They get him cheap next year because of the CBA. But, will he ever be playing football?

What do you mean by that?

Mr. Laz
02-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I hear Haley is a big believer in DJ's potential. They get him cheap next year because of the CBA. But, will he ever be playing football?
i dunno

i imagine the Chiefs would love to get a trade offer so they didn't have to worry about that decision.

kcxiv
02-17-2010, 03:17 PM
If They force him around, he's going to play. He did nothing but make plays last year when he was on the field. Sure he missed a few tackles or whatever, but the big plays he made more then makes up for it.

Anyways. When Dorsey was out, our run D went to shit. Soon as he came back in, it got significantly better. Not saying it was great, but it was ALOT better.

Another thing i found wierd. I was watching that Mike Vick reality thing he did when he got out of prison and he said the 2 teams that he thought he was going to after he was reinstated were The Rams or to Kansas City, but Philly made the bigger deal.

Mr. Laz
02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
If They force him around, he's going to play. He did nothing but make plays last year when he was on the field. Sure he missed a few tackles or whatever, but the big plays he made more then makes up for it.not even close imo ... the chiefs didn't even bother putting DJ out there in non passing situations because he was sucking so much ass against the run. He was a glorified safety.

(i assume you are talking about DJ and his interceptions btw)

kcxiv
02-17-2010, 03:28 PM
not even close imo ... the chiefs didn't even bother putting DJ out there in non passing situations because he was sucking so much ass against the run. He was a glorified safety.

(i assume you are talking about DJ and his interceptions btw)

That sack of Big Ben was pretty epic. lol

Mr. Laz
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM
That sack of Big Ben was pretty epic. lolyea, it was good. I like the interceptions too. He's got lots of talent and athletic ability. The problem is between his ears ... he can't seem to function within the system without screwing up.

maybe if he goes to some team that can just turn him loose because he is so surrounded with talent that they can play with 10 people and just let him run.

i think Junior Seau couldn't handle playing within a system either iirc.

Icon
02-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Glenn Dorsey is a good football player but he's playing in a system (3-4) that doesn't fit his body type. He's a little short for a DE and he's too light for a NT. I could still see KC trading Dorsey for a draft pick or player if Pioli thinks it will improve the team in the long run.

BossChief
02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Ive said it before a few times and Ill say it again. If we are gonna have a defensive turnaround, these two will have to play a pivotal role in it.

DJ represents one of the best big play linebackers to ever come out of college football and if he can out it all together he can be a MAJOR force for us going forward.

The reason I have continued to support the guy is because of how close he has been to being a really good player for us, he really isnt far off.

He makes a good play in coverage and then drops the easy pick, or he bursts through the line and just misses the qb for a pivotal sack. He reads the keys to a play and reacts quickly to make the stop behind the line but just misses the tackle.

He seems to always be inches from being a absolute game changer/impact player. I hope that whatever it is that isnt letting him get over the hump is remedied and he becomes that guy for us.

time will tell

Mr. Laz
02-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Ive said it before a few times and Ill say it again. If we are gonna have a defensive turnaround, these two will have to play a pivotal role in it.

DJ represents one of the best big play linebackers to ever come out of college football and if he can out it all together he can be a MAJOR force for us going forward.

The reason I have continued to support the guy is because of how close he has been to being a really good player for us, he really isnt far off.

He makes a good play in coverage and then drops the easy pick, or he bursts through the line and just misses the qb for a pivotal sack. He reads the keys to a play and reacts quickly to make the stop behind the line but just misses the tackle.

He seems to always be inches from being a absolute game changer/impact player. I hope that whatever it is that isnt letting him get over the hump is remedied and he becomes that guy for us.

time will tell
can't disagree

it's just that DJ has been just inches away his entire career.

hey ... maybe if the level of talent around increases he will get those inches. :shrug:

The Bad Guy
02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm happy DJ finally has a real coordinator to play under. From Greg Robinson in college to Gunther to Clancy that's like going through Delta Burke, Carney Wilson and the Snapple Lady in a whore house.

chiefzilla1501
02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
In a 3-4, you want your inside linebacker to:

1. Be smart and be in the right position to make plays. DJ doesn't do that. And is in the wrong place more often than he's in the right place.
2. Be strong and be able to shed blockers to attack the run game. Because you have less linemen, it's more likely a blocker will get to the second level. DJ's not a good shedder.
3. Make tackles. We know how well DJ tackles.

In a 3-4, it's nice to have athleticism, but I'd much rather have smart and strong. And DJ is neither of those things. I don't like the way he fits into this defense and I would take any first day value to send him packing.

chiefzilla1501
02-17-2010, 05:58 PM

time will tell

While that's true on certain key plays, you're also leaving plays out where he's miles away from being around the play.

He's LaVar Arrington. I'd rather a guy who was consistently solid than a guy who's very inconsistently superb.

HemiEd
02-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Good, I am sick and tired of seeing this team give up on their own picks early, and then sign some other teams castoffs.

the Talking Can
02-17-2010, 06:03 PM
i'd trade dj for a bean and cheese burrito

The Bad Guy
02-17-2010, 06:09 PM
In an uncapped year, there is nothing to lose by keeping him.

milkman
02-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Good, I am sick and tired of seeing this team give up on their own picks early, and then sign some other teams castoffs.

DJ has been here long enough to establish that he is what he is, an inconsistent player.

Giveing up on him at this point is far from early.

BossChief
02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Lets see what happens with DJ under good coaching.

If we draft a player like McClain in the first, he could help DJ IMHO. It is a big reason I have been on that bandwagon.

tyler360
02-17-2010, 07:24 PM
I think that DJ is what he is a very inconsistent player. However seeing as how this d lacks talent we should keep him around and see if the coaches can finally get through to him.

Titty Meat
02-17-2010, 08:11 PM
DJ will never be a great player. If he's a starter all he's doing is taking away playing time from someone who could be good.

Marcellus
02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
DJ has been here long enough to establish that he is what he is, an inconsistent player.

Giveing up on him at this point is far from early.

This x 1,000.

People are ready to bash Cassel and say he has shown his best ability already but defend DJ endlessly.

I have more faith Cassel can improve than I do DJ (Cassel has played much less in his NFL career) and that's not saying a whole lot.