PDA

View Full Version : Football Ravens sign Donte' Stallworth

RJ
02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I guess he was worth a flyer for a one year contract and the Ravens are desperate for receivers.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-ravens-will-sign-donte-stallworth-0217,0,751080,print.story

Ravens sign WR Donte' Stallworth
Veteran agrees to a one-year deal, team says
By Ken Murray

ken.murray@baltsun.com

3:10 PM EST, February 17, 2010

The Ravens took their first -- and possibly biggest -- step toward upgrading their passing game today when they signed veteran wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to a one-year contract.

Stallworth missed last season under a one-year NFL suspension after he pleaded guilty June 16 to manslaughter while driving drunk in Miami Beach in March. He was given an indefinite suspension, without pay, on June 18 under the league's substance abuse and personal conduct policies. He was released by the Browns after serving the suspension.

"We've given a lot of thought to this, and we've done extensive research into Donte' beyond football," general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement issued by the team. "He made a huge mistake. There's no doubt about that. He has paid a significant price for that and, as he has said, he carries a heavy weight.

"As [Ravens owner] Steve [Bisciotti] said, we believe in second chances, and Donte' does deserve that. But, we've signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us. We worked him out, and it's obvious he is working hard to be effective. We thought it was important to sign him now, because other teams were pursuing him, and we want him in our offseason program, which starts next month."

Said coach John Harbaugh: "Our goal is to become a better team, and we work on that every day. Adding Donte' gives us the opportunity to improve. I observed him and interacted with him for a year when we were both in Philadelphia. He's the kind of person and player who can help us. It's clear that he is determined to play, that he has been working hard and that he wants to have a positive impact off the field, too. We're looking forward to working with him."

Stallworth served a 24-day jail sentence and reportedly made an out-of-court settlement of more than $3 million with the family of the man he killed with his car. A 2002 first-round draft pick of the Saints, Stallworth's best season was a 70-catch year in 2005 with the Saints.

Stallworth also had a statement on the release:

"I will never get that morning back. It weighs on me every day and will for the rest of my life. What I can do is move forward, try to be a better person, try to convince others not to do what I did and warn others about the dangers of drinking and driving. I have to show otherwise that what happened doesn't reflect who I am. I have to prove that, and, hopefully, I'm on my way to doing that."

Gonzo
02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Dammit carl!

RJ
02-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Ok, there's another Stallworth thread. I would kill myself but I have to work until 5:30. I'll do it tomorrow.