PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals can go .500 this season

lostcause
02-18-2010, 01:31 AM
I hate to open myself up to get flamed... But, I think the Royals have a legitimate shot to go .500 this year. I like the added power in the outfield with Ankiel - and what the hell, podsednik if he can come close to .300 again - and am buying into Gordon hitting his stride here at 27. I also like the move of Guillen to DH. There is also a possibility of B.Anderson realizing some potential - you know he will get the shot. Hochevar should be much improved over last season. If we can play with some leads that Farnsworth doesn't blow up, we could make it to .500. I am not a kool-aid drinker and never have much faith in the Royals, ever. But I do have a good feeling about this squad to overperform.

Red Dawg
02-18-2010, 03:26 AM
I will have a glass of the Kool-aid! Why the hell not the Royals? To the house!

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-18-2010, 04:23 AM
When you have a team full of replacement-level players, you go 40-120, not .500.

You should be more concerned with not losing 105 games next year.

You have the worst lineup and the worst middle relief in baseball, compounded with a horrible set of 2-5 starters.

blaise
02-18-2010, 05:36 AM
If they're still .500 after the first month of the season it would be astounding. Not unless Butler turns those doubles into homers and Gordon starts mashing. I doubt either of those things happen though.
And I don't think Hochevar can be much improved. I think he is what he's shown. His ceiling is a #3 on a mediocre to bad team

tyton75
02-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Hochevar's CEILING is a dominant #1 starter like Grienke... he has the tools... not saying he WILL be, just saying he has the ability

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Hochevar's CEILING is a dominant #1 starter like Grienke... he has the tools... not saying he WILL be, just saying he has the ability

This is categorically false. Hochevar is a pitch-to-contact guy. He'll only be as good as the defense behind him and his ability to keep his sinker down. His absolute ceiling is a shitty Brandon Webb.

Even with aberration starts like 13 K in 7 IP, he had a K/9 of around 6.75.

He'll also be 27 years old, so you can't really consider him a prospect anymore, either.

Braincase
02-18-2010, 06:55 AM
How sad is it when mediocrity is a goal?

blaise
02-18-2010, 06:57 AM
How sad is it when mediocrity is a goal?

It's sadder that people will regularly pay money to see it, and even pay $6 for a beer once they get in.

cookster50
02-18-2010, 06:57 AM

Hochevar's CEILING is a lousy #5 starter. He sucks the big one.

cookster50
02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
It's sadder that people will regularly pay money to see it, and even pay $6 for a beer once they get in.

This coming from a Chief's fan, classic.

tyton75
02-18-2010, 07:05 AM
i didnt' say he was going to reach is freaking ceiling... but anyone who has the ability to throw 87 pitches in a complete game win, has a high freaking ceiling

and again.. he likely wont' come anywhere near that

blaise
02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
This coming from a Chief's fan, classic.

What does that mean? I don't pay to go to Chiefs games either. I don't understand your logic there at all.

MGRS13
02-18-2010, 07:13 AM
no they can't. They will be lucky to win 70 games as always. The games are fun to go to, but the Royals are not a major league team they just play at a ball park that MLB teams visit.

Deberg_1990
02-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Their free agent moves have been puzzling??

Royals must be banking a ton on Hochevar and Gordon to become dominant.

Unfortunately they are wrong.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 07:16 AM
The Royals are going to challenge for the distinction of having the worst everyday lineup in MLB history. This is the unfortunate byproduct of a team that will run out a card, regularly, with Kendall, Guillen, and Betancourt.

The fact that anyone is suggesting that it might be a good thing that Guillen becomes the DH is only half correct. On the plus side, he'll no longer be in the field. On the negative side, he'll still be asked to hit.

And Hochevar? His ceiling is as a #4. He's a player who should be in his prime RIGHT NOW, and he's terribly mediocre. Finally, Gordon, at best, is an average ML player. Not a bad thing, but not close to meeting his expectations. I'll have even more faith he can be considered this good when he consistently catches pop-ups on the infield and doesn't routinely chase the breaking ball away and in the dirt.

Pencil in 100 loses for these clowns and be VERY pleasantly surprised if that doesn't come to fruition. Frankly, I'll be shocked, barring a rule change obviating the need to score runs in order to win games.

Picture the '09 squad. Now, imagine a club that got worse over the off-season.

Welcome to '10, Royals fans.

eazyb81
02-18-2010, 07:17 AM
I hate to say it but 90+ losses again.

BigRedChief
02-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Their free agent moves have been puzzling??

Royals must be banking a ton on Hochevar and Gordon to become dominant.

Unfortunately they are wrong.
Trust me. Ankiel won't work out. He'll hit a few home runs but it will be when nothing is on the line. He's a big time choker. The "book" on him in MLB is clear to everyone. It's easy to get him out. The only way he gets hits is on pitcher mistakes.

Delano
02-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Great thread. LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

tyton75
02-18-2010, 07:44 AM
I think we will be better defensively and probably equal to a little worse at the plate...

seems like the Royals are hoping for Grienke like performance out of the whole damn pitching staff and god knows that aint happening.

my guess.. 5 games + or - last years win total

eazyb81
02-18-2010, 07:57 AM
The most frustrating thing about this offseason is the fact that we had the potential to have a pretty good outfield defense with DDJ, Ankiel, and Podsednik, but in true Royals fashion we are going to play them in the worst possible combo.

DDJ should be in left or center, and we are going to put him and his noodle arm in right.

Ankiel is perfect for right and we are putting him in center (i'm sure Boras made sure he would play center this year so it would help his negotiations next offseason).

And Pods will be left field.

I'd love to see DDJ and Ankiel in the corners, which would help Pods crappy defense in center.

Also I think Callaspo will DH most of the time and Guillen is probably on his way out sooner rather than later.

BigCatDaddy
02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Color me optimistic about the pitching staff. Tejeda looked damn good as a starter the last few months of the year, although I think he is limited to about 6 inning starts. If Meche stays healthy those guys give you a pretty good 1-3 starters with Greinke. I would like to hope Crow come up and take the 4 spot over. The dude is 23 years old so let’s take the diapers off. Since our bullpen does suck, I think it’s time to see if maybe Bannister, Davies, or Hochevar wouldn’t make a good reliever since they have shown they aren’t consistant starting pitcher material. If Bannister only had to give you an inning or 2 in relief he could be pretty good and probably the best one of the group to move to the pen.

Deberg_1990
02-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Ill just pretend that the franchise the Royals really want to emulate (Tampa Bay) plays in KC. :)

Dayze
02-18-2010, 08:42 AM
lol..good one. .500.
I admire your optimism.

KCUnited
02-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Fuck wins and losses. Think of the t-shirts, backpacks, beach towels, and Brayan Pena bobbleheads.

alnorth
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm one of the first fans to jump aboard the hope train when there is a glimmer of optimism to be had. There isn't one this year.

Our pitching could be halfway decent this year, but it doesnt matter because we could very well have one of the the worst offensive lineups in baseball this year. Certainly the worst in the American league. A lot of the moves by our GM, who I thought might be a good hire a couple years ago, have since been.... lets say puzzling. I could say "stupid", but we'll go with puzzling until the end of the season.

My hope is that we somehow overperform and avoid losing 90+ games. I'm not even thinking about 81

Fish
02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
It's like getting excited for your upcoming colonoscopy.....

HypnotizedMonkey
02-18-2010, 09:19 AM
props for going there! lol

cmh6476
02-18-2010, 09:20 AM
should be a fun year :|

wazimo
02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
The Royals will finish 83-79 and win the AL Central on the last series of the season. Let's re-visit these predictions in September.

Demonpenz
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
This season is already a waste. I will just be happy at the 40 games we do win.

CoMoChief
02-18-2010, 10:04 AM
I hate to open myself up to get flamed... But, I think the Royals have a legitimate shot to go .500 this year. I like the added power in the outfield with Ankiel - and what the hell, podsednik if he can come close to .300 again - and am buying into Gordon hitting his stride here at 27. I also like the move of Guillen to DH. There is also a possibility of B.Anderson realizing some potential - you know he will get the shot. Hochevar should be much improved over last season. If we can play with some leads that Farnsworth doesn't blow up, we could make it to .500. I am not a kool-aid drinker and never have much faith in the Royals, ever. But I do have a good feeling about this squad to overperform.

I like to smoke pot too.

:bong:

King_Chief_Fan
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
.500 gets you what?

Ankiel has lost his burst since getting busted for PH drugs. He isn't going to help any team do much. You keep getting those ex- Cards and you continue to sit at the bottom.

good luck going .500...to bad KC fans will be happy with that.

Meanwhile the Cards will be contending again for the playoffs.

wild1
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I encourage you to seek treatment for your addiction.

gblowfish
02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
They'll be ten games under by May 1st, 15 games out by All Star Break, mathematically eliminated by August 25th.

Royals Baseball....

Whoo Hoo!!!!

King_Chief_Fan
02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
The Royals will finish 83-79 and win the AL Central on the last series of the season. Let's re-visit these predictions in September.:facepalm:

POND_OF_RED
02-18-2010, 10:16 AM
The Royals are selling controlled climate seats now behind the 3rd base dugout. Every couple innings they will send Gordon and Ankiel to the batters box to use their bats as fans for the 3rd base side.

Reaper16
02-18-2010, 10:21 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/Thereaper16/2vjso51jpg.gif

58kcfan89
02-18-2010, 11:02 AM

ROFLLMAO:clap:

I'm pretty much expecting 100 losses for the Royals. Sad thing is that I'll probably still make it to a game or 2 (Gawd, I hope I can make a Greinke start & watch Soria pitch) and follow the team all year. It's bad that out of 25 ML players, there's 3 that I'm willing to pay to watch...

DrRyan
02-18-2010, 11:21 AM
When you have a team full of replacement-level players, you go 40-120, not .500.

You should be more concerned with not losing 105 games next year.

You have the worst lineup and the worst middle relief in baseball, compounded with a horrible set of 2-5 starters.

40 wins? So what you are saying is the 2010 Royals are going to be the worst team in the history of the 162 game schedule and play .250 baseball this season.

I think if I ever read a post of yours with any positivity in it will be the first.

They will be a bad baseball team and are unlikely to play .500 ball, but JFC man, what a horrible take.

ChiefsCountry
02-18-2010, 11:40 AM
If Gordon, Meche, and Ankiel click the Royals might have a shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Dayton has assembled a lineup full of slappys, and that won't win you games in the Central. Our pitching COULD be improved, provided Meche can stay healthy, along with Bannister, and Hocheaver can find a way to get outs that doesn't rely on the defense behind him. That defense MIGHT be a bit better, as long as they figure out the outfield configuration properly, as pointed out earlier.

Basically, the Royals look like a team that relies on the team they are playing that night to screw it up and lose the game, rather than the Royals having any chance to go out and dominate. I'll be pleasantly suprised if we don't lose 95+ games this season.

alnorth
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I just noticed the OP's user name. Very appropriate.

gblowfish
02-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Well, it's hard to get hit in the face with a frying pan year after year after year and not learn to duck.

I have no optimism about the Royals. None. There are teams with lower payrolls, but as long as the Yanks are spending more than $200 mill a year, we have no shot.

Here's the ugly picture from 2009, it'll be worse in 2010:
http://www.sportscity.com/MLB-Salaries/

Sure-Oz
02-18-2010, 12:13 PM
This team will be in last place again...just have to hope that we get awesome t-shirts and some players get better.

Gordon needs to play a full season, i expect about 16 hrs and 80 rbis while hitting .270 at best....i hope for more but yeah

Bowser
02-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Well, it's hard to get hit in the face with a frying pan year after year after year and not learn to duck.

I have no optimism about the Royals. None. There are teams with lower payrolls, but as long as the Yanks are spending more than $200 mill a year, we have no shot.

LOL at Guillen banking 12 mil last year.

And the subject has been absolutely run into the ground (especially on Petro's show), but the Royals absolutley need to spend north of 90 mil/year on payroll to compete in the AL Central, much less the AL. Our farm system is bare; nobody is coming up the ranks anytime soon. The Glass family's obsession with the bottom line is killing this franchise.

noa
02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I would not be surprised if the Royals set the record for worst team on base percentage next season. It's going to be painful to watch.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:22 PM

The Royals ineptitude finally has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the dumb motherfucker making the decisions.

CoMoChief
02-18-2010, 12:25 PM
The Royals ineptitude finally has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the dumb mother****er making the decisions.

It will always be about money when the same teams are always getting the top tier FA's. There are some exceptions of course. But most of the time the bigger teams that spend the most are going to be the ones that consistantly win.

gblowfish
02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
The Royals ineptitude finally has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the dumb mother****er making the decisions.

I think both are major issues.

Neither helps much at all. I really haven't seen much difference between Dayton Moore or Allard Baird at this point, have you?

Sure-Oz
02-18-2010, 12:30 PM

Agreed....

We need to be smarter drafting and some of DM's picks so far are meh....and it's obvious he doesn't know how to sign guys. Aviles won't get a chance cause of a scrub like Betancrap.

I'm afraid Moos and Hosmer are going to be big busts, i hope im wrong.

KCUnited
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Success will be defined by the size of the Guillen explosion/assault charges in June.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
It will always be about money when the same teams are always getting the top tier FA's. There are some exceptions of course. But most of the time the bigger teams that spend the most are going to be the ones that consistantly win.

Not really.

The Twins are the model franchise for building a consistent winner on a lesser budget. The Rays, of course, were hugely successful on a ridiculously low budget because some of their high draft picks excelled, coupled with wise FA additions and trades.

Money isn't the Royals' biggest obstacle; stupidity is.

And his name is Dayton Moore.

Reaper16
02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, but we're talking about a Royals team that , for the most part, would be better if no moves were made during the offseason.

Sure-Oz
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Not really.

The Twins are the model franchise for building a consistent winner on a lesser budget. The Rays, of course, were hugely successful on a ridiculously low budget because some of their high draft picks excelled, coupled with wise FA additions and trades.

I wonder if Trey gets fired by midseason or year end when we are 15-20 games under

Bowser
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Neither helps much at all. I really haven't seen much difference between Dayton Moore or Allard Baird at this point, have you?

Well, one difference is that Moore has had a bit more cap room to play with than Baird ever did. You could argue that Baird couldn't chase a legitimate power hitter in FA because of funds, and Moore seemingly just doesn't have that as a priority when he shops.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Huge.

One has been given the resources to actually do his job. The other wasn't. Unfortunately, Moore has proven himself to be a woeful GM, who doesn't even have a consistent philosophy for building a winner. Doubt this? See his changing approach in the draft.

And the fact that Baird was jobless for about 5 minutes until Boston came calling should suggest he's not as big of an idiot as many in KC made him out to be.

Would he have been a successful GM with proper resources? I don't know. Maybe not. But I know we can't evaluate his tenure here with any sense of accuracy.

Sure-Oz
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Well, one difference is that Moore has had a bit more cap room to play with than Baird ever did. You could argue that Baird couldn't chase a legitimate power hitter in FA because of funds, and Moore seemingly just doesn't have that as a priority when he shops.

DM doesn't know wtf he wants in free agency...

Bowser
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
So is Moore being handcuffed by ownership, or is he incompetent? At this point, I'm not sure there's a sure answer for that. An argument can be made for both sides of that coin.

OnTheWarpath15
02-18-2010, 12:39 PM

LMAO

Consider that stolen.

Bowser
02-18-2010, 12:40 PM
DM doesn't know wtf he wants in free agency...Seems like he wants a bunch of castoff slappys with average to slightly above average defensive skills.

Sure-Oz
02-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Seems like he wants a bunch of castoff slappys with average to slightly above average defensive skills.

We don't have the payroll!11111111111111 Also OBP and pitch counts are not a stat

alnorth
02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
LOL at Guillen banking 12 mil last year.

And the subject has been absolutely run into the ground (especially on Petro's show), but the Royals absolutley need to spend north of 90 mil/year on payroll to compete in the AL Central, much less the AL. Our farm system is bare; nobody is coming up the ranks anytime soon. The Glass family's obsession with the bottom line is killing this franchise.

I dont buy that at all. The Royals are spending enough to do far better than they are, the problem is that we piss that money away on bad baseball players.

We are spending more than the Twins, and only about $10MM less than the Indians. Both will be better than us, and the talent gap from our roster to Cleveland isnt something that $10MM can fix.

If Glass gave Dayton another $40 million, I'd assume he'd find a way to waste at least half of it.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:45 PM
So is Moore being handcuffed by ownership, or is he incompetent? At this point, I'm not sure there's a sure answer for that. An argument can be made for both sides of that coin.

Yes, there's a sure answer. Use this as a microcosm: Betancourt.

Everything that this move represents on so many levels is what's wrong with Dayton Moore. And now we have a new draft philosophy.

For more resources on all of the above, check out Rany's blog. He does a great job of providing a host of evidence to answer your question.

DM is, without question, one of the worst GMs in baseball.

Kyle DeLexus
02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
"IT ALL HAPPENS HERE!"

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I wonder if Trey gets fired by midseason or year end when we are 15-20 games under

Let Hillman fall on the sword for this upcoming abortion.

We have better options in-house, and let them start fresh in '11.

My guess, however, is that Barnyard Trey is canned around the All-Star break.

58kcfan89
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM

other than the aforementioned resources problems, Moore seems to be able to build a decent pitching staff, but has a lineup that scores 1 run at most per game. Baird had the lineup, but bad pitching.

Fracking Royals.....

Bowser
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I dont buy that at all. The Royals are spending enough to do far better than they are, the problem is that we piss that money away on bad baseball players.

You won't get an argument from me there. It seems like since we have this "ceiling" of around 75 mil on the cap that Moore is trying to stretch his dollar in collecting all these second and third tier hitters. Depth, I guess?

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if we actually had a logical cap limit for this team, Moore might find the stones to chase some legit power.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
You won't get an argument from me there. It seems like since we have this "ceiling" of around 75 mil on the cap that Moore is trying to stretch his dollar in collecting all these second and third tier hitters. Depth, I guess?

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if we actually had a logical cap limit for this team, Moore might find the stones to chase some legit power.

He doesn't understand how to evaluate talent. This has been proven time and again.

We could have a $100 million payroll, and Moore would find the more expensive Guillen of the world.

alnorth
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM

I edited a bit. I believe if we had the Detroit payroll, Moore would improve the team by maybe 10 games. maybe.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I edited a bit. I believe if we had the Detroit payroll, Moore would improve the team by maybe 10 games. maybe.

We're on the exact same page.

And watch, all year the calls from fans are going to be for Hillman's head, the guy who matters the absolute fucking least.

tk13
02-18-2010, 12:53 PM
We spent like $80 million on salaries last year... there were several teams below us. There's still a major problem with teams like the Yankees or Red Sox... but so far this era of ineptitude clearly has more to do with making bad decisions than money. I don't see how you could say otherwise, we definitely aren't anything like teams like the Pirates and Marlins who are spending significantly less than the Royals. Yet we get lumped in with those teams, it's totally false. We haven't traded away any star players and we've offered plenty of FA's the most money and they've turned us down. It's just been poor decision making.

The only good thing is... it always seems like when expectations are really high, the Royals totally bomb. And when they've been really down, like really down, like now, we've had a better season than expected. Hopefully that repeats itself, somehow. Our offense looks really bad on paper though. But if the middle of the bullpen pitches better we could probably have a 70+ win team... but bullpens are such a streaky thing. One year a group of guys can be great, and next year they flame out.

alnorth
02-18-2010, 12:54 PM
This team re: payroll and GM is like trying to fill a jug of water to the brim and keep it filled when it has a gaping hole in the bottom. Sure, if you keep gushing enough water in there you'll get there, but it would be more cost-effective to fix the jug first. Otherwise, people might be happy that the jug is "full" and ignore the water gushing in and out.

Bowser
02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
He doesn't understand how to evaluate talent. This has been proven time and again.

We could have a $100 million payroll, and Moore would find the more expensive Guillen of the world.

Heh, don't get me confused for some type of Moore defender here, because I'm with you guys on this one. I guess I'm just trying to play devil's advocate, but Moore isn't making it easy with the moves he has made.

alnorth
02-18-2010, 12:56 PM
We're on the exact same page.

And watch, all year the calls from fans are going to be for Hillman's head, the guy who matters the absolute ****ing least.

I was the very last guy who wanted Muser fired, and that was only because I finally decided he was also yet another member of the team who wasnt good at his job. Most people just dont realize how incredibly important the GM is in this sport, they seem to think he's some backroom accountant who gets his name in the paper a couple times a year.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I was the very last guy who wanted Muser fired, and that was only because I finally decided he was also yet another member of the team who wasnt good at his job. Most people just dont realize how incredibly important the GM is in this sport, they seem to think he's some backroom accountant who gets his name in the paper a couple times a year.

Although accurate, I find this analogy to be even more depressing.

DeezNutz
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Heh, don't get me confused for some type of Moore defender here, because I'm with you guys on this one. I guess I'm just trying to play devil's advocate, but Moore isn't making it easy with the moves he has made.

Dayton Moore is an ugly fat bitch without the money for the gym or plastic surgery.

No one should willingly fall on this grenade.

cookster50
02-18-2010, 01:03 PM
What does that mean? I don't pay to go to Chiefs games either. I don't understand your logic there at all.

Doh! There goes my thought :)

tyton75
02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
One thing I will give Dayton credit for, I really like the way we are going after talent in the minors... I'm hoping that it will start to payoff this year and then really start showing next year

Sure-Oz
02-18-2010, 01:27 PM
DM hasn't shown me anything, I know i could run the team better than he has.

CoMoChief
02-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Not really.

The Twins play in a horrible division, once they get to the playoffs, they are usually beaten by a team with a MUCH larger payroll.

The Rays are the exception to the rule.

The larger market teams are almost ALWAYS in playoff contention.