PDA

View Full Version : Football Williams’ death main reason Brandon Marshall wants out of Denver

ForeverChiefs58
02-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Wilson: Williams’ death a reason Brandon Marshall wants out of Denver

Aaron Wilson, The National Football Post

Why does star wide receiver Brandon Marshall(notes) want off the Denver Broncos?

He wants a new contract. Check.

He wants a fresh start in a new city. Probably.

He’s had run-ins with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels in the past. Certainly, but they seem to be able to coexist most of the time.

However, there’s a deeper, more personal reason why Marshall would like a change of scenery.

According to the Denver Post, Marshall remains haunted by the murder of teammate Darrent Williams(notes).

In the report, which references conversations with several friends of Marshall, that Jan. 1, 2007 death is a major impetus for the Pro Bowl wide receiver wanting to leave Denver.

Marshall reportedly was in an altercation at a nightclub that could have led to the shooting, and he was with Williams shortly before he was killed in a driveby shooting.

Marshall might be called to testify in Willie Clark’s murder trial, which begins this week.

A clue to Marshall’s mindset was offered by the enigmatic receiver when he was arrested for driving under the influence on Oct. 22, 2007.

Per the arrest report, Marshall said: "I hate Denver. I hope I get traded. I hate this f—ing city .. Why aren’t you guys out looking for Williams’ killer?"

Marshall has caught 100 passes for three consecutive seasons, but the grief and guilt he still feels, per the Post, could be a big factor in determining what happens next in his NFL career.

didn't see this on first couple pages, so sorry if repost

acesn8s
02-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Talk about beating a dead horse.

MMXcalibur
02-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Right......THAT'S the reason you want to leave.
What a piece of shit.

Reerun_KC
02-21-2010, 11:02 PM

Welcome to CP....

POND_OF_RED
02-21-2010, 11:03 PM

ROFL It's wrong to laugh but I can't help it. That's funny.

acesn8s
02-21-2010, 11:25 PM
ROFL It's wrong to laugh but I can't help it. That's funny.That's twice I've got to use that joke.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-21-2010, 11:27 PM

Every fucked up Donko fan that ever talked shit about DT can suck on that.

ForeverChiefs58
02-21-2010, 11:42 PM
When you have had the season the chiefs have, you should take every opp. to laugh at a rival when you can.

|Zach|
02-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Every ****ed up Donko fan that ever talked shit about DT can suck on that.

I would rather not be on the same level.

Oh well...

acesn8s
02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
I would rather not be on the same level.

Oh well...What? The bottom? Too late.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Every fucked up Donko fan that ever talked shit about DT can suck on that.

The Donkos have fans? Shit, I thought that was just the Russian circus' freak show taking Sundays off.
:shrug:

Willie Lanier
02-22-2010, 12:07 AM
The Donkos have fans? Shit, I thought was just the Russian circus' freak show taking Sundays off.
:shrug:

Yes, they are quite a pleasure to deal with, regardless of accomplishment, they seem to choke out some kind of condescending remark.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Yes, they are quite a pleasure to deal with, regardless of accomplishment, they seem to choke out some kind of condescending remark.

I will always, always hate Denver.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2010, 05:35 AM
Every ****ed up Donko fan that ever talked shit about DT can suck on that.

Hey, at least you always have this line to throw out there as a preemptive strike against anyone that has an issue with it. "Someone years ago laughed at a joke, so that gives us the right to post anything we like".

':thumb:

kcfanXIII
02-22-2010, 06:09 AM
i can see where that would be something you would want to get away from. just saying...

Mile High Mania
02-22-2010, 06:41 AM
i can see where that would be something you would want to get away from. just saying...

Yeah, I remember reading (either speculation or accounts from people that were there via the news) that supposedly Brandon was doing things like spraying "champagne showers" on people and that Brandon was the genesis of the altercation with the people that ultimately ended in DW's death. If true, that's a lot of guilt and emotional baggage to carry with you each day.

jidar
02-22-2010, 07:40 AM
That actually makes sense.

LaChapelle
02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
SI's King of Cocks says he can be had for a 2nd

Quesadilla Joe
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
BS Marshall wants to leave because nobody on that team can stand McDipshit/Chiefs Planet

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-22-2010, 09:36 PM
BS Marshall wants to leave because nobody on that team can stand McDipshit/Chiefs Planet

WE HAVE TRUTH! WE HAVE TRUTH! TRUTH SIGHTING AHOY!!!LMAO

Mr. Laz
02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds like an excuse to try and make him look better for the other teams to me.

Ralphy Boy
02-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Ok so I'm shocked that nobody, especially the Cassel haters, has mentioned trading Cassel for Marshall. Then we draft Clausen. I'm sure its probably been suggested on another thread that I didn't read.

I also didn't see anyone post how much of his $28.5 million guaranteed was paid out already.
The salary breakdown that I saw was
2009 $5.0 mil
2010 $11.75 mil
2011 $4.75 mil
2012 $5.25 mil
2013 $7.5 mil
2014 $9.0 mil
Total $43.25 million

With an additional $20 million coming in bonuses over the first 3 years with $7.5 million set to come in March 2011. Assuming he received $10 million in a bonus when he signed the contract last year and is scheduled for another $2.5 million after the 2011 season, that would get you to the $20 million figure and mean his cap hit at this point would be $8.3 million if he were released.

For the record, I'm not suggesting we do it, just saying I was shocked nobody else had.

02-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Ok so I'm shocked that nobody, especially the Cassel haters, has mentioned trading Cassel for Marshall. Then we draft Clausen. I'm sure its probably been suggested on another thread that I didn't read.

I also didn't see anyone post how much of his $28.5 million guaranteed was paid out already.
The salary breakdown that I saw was
2009 $5.0 mil
2010 $11.75 mil
2011 $4.75 mil
2012 $5.25 mil
2013 $7.5 mil
2014 $9.0 mil
Total $43.25 million

With an additional $20 million coming in bonuses over the first 3 years with $7.5 million set to come in March 2011. Assuming he received $10 million in a bonus when he signed the contract last year and is scheduled for another $2.5 million after the 2011 season, that would get you to the $20 million figure and mean his cap hit at this point would be $8.3 million if he were released.

For the record, I'm not suggesting we do it, just saying I was shocked nobody else had.Pioli isn't giving up his golden boy.

Quesadilla Joe
02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Trades inside the division hardly ever happen.

Belicheat* trading Bledsoe to the Bills is the only time I can remember off the top of my head.

BossChief
02-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Trades inside the division hardly ever happen.

Belicheat* trading Bledsoe to the Bills is the only time I can remember off the top of my head.Ever hear of Wes Welker?

DaneMcCloud
02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Ever hear of Wes Welker?

Who?

Quesadilla Joe
02-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Ever hear of Wes Welker?

I said off the top of my head. I'm sure trades in the division happen, but most of the time teams try to avoid that kind of thing.

DaneMcCloud
02-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I said off the top of my head. I'm sure trades in the division happen, but most of the time teams try to avoid that kind of thing.

Are your brains at the bottom of your head?

Quesadilla Joe
02-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Are your brains at the bottom of your head?

It's an expression.

DaneMcCloud
02-23-2010, 12:49 AM
It's an expression.

LMAO

I was just teasin', Dude.

BigRock
02-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Right......THAT'S the reason you want to leave.
What a piece of shit.

It's a perfectly believable reason.

If I tried acting like a big shot at some club and got one of my teammates killed, I'd probably want out of town too.

Miles
02-23-2010, 01:45 AM
It's a perfectly believable reason.

If I tried acting like a big shot at some club and got one of my teammates killed, I'd probably want out of town too.

Yeah, it's actually pretty understandable.

Mile High Mania
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I remember reading (either speculation or accounts from people that were there via the news) that supposedly Brandon was doing things like spraying "champagne showers" on people and that Brandon was the genesis of the altercation with the people that ultimately ended in DW's death. If true, that's a lot of guilt and emotional baggage to carry with you each day.

Here we go...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14458514
Prosecution: Slain Bronco Darrent Williams was an innocent bystander

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14458514#ixzz0gTHNXOHh

For more than three years, football fans and the public have wondered why Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams ended up getting shot on New Year's Day 2007.
The answer came Tuesday in the first moments of the trial of the man accused of killing Williams: It wasn't anything the football player did.
Instead, a prosecutor said, Williams was the innocent victim of a gang member angry because he was sprayed with champagne and feeling disrespected over being manhandled by Williams' teammate, current Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall.

"In a world of Denver street gangs, in a world of Tre Tre Crips, if you are disrespected, you have a right to take an innocent life," prosecutor Bruce Levin told jurors during his opening
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0223/20100223__20100224_B01_CD24CLARK%7Ep2_200.JPG (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=2876373)Cornerback Darrent Williams was killed and two others wounded on New Year's Day 2007. <!--IPTC: ** FILE **IN this April 24, 2005 file photo, Oklahoma State cornerback Darrent Williams smiles as he holds a Denver Broncos' jersey bearing his name a news conference as the team's headquarters in Denver. Prosecutors say a grand jury has indicted Willie Clark on murder charges in the 2007 drive-by shooting of Williams. Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey said Wednesday, Oct. 8, 2008, that Willie Clark faces 39 counts, including first-degree murder and attempted murder. (AP Photo/Ed Andrieski, File)--> (AP, Ed Andrieski, File)

statement. "That is their world." John Sheppard, who was the prosecution's first witness, said there was chaos inside the limo when the shots were fired.
He said everyone started screaming and crying when they realized Williams was shot.
"He was just holding him like a little baby," Sheppard said of Williams' teammate, Javon Walker. "He was saying, 'Man, don't die on me. Don't die on me.' Darrent's shoe fell off and there was just blood everywhere. . . . I never seen nothing like that."
Willie D. Clark, 26, charged with first-degree murder, felt disrespected by Williams' friends and Marshall after the receiver grabbed Clark's head during an argument near the limousine at closing time, Levin said.
The argument began inside the club after Brandon Marshall's cousin Blair Clark sprayed champagne on a group of gang members.
Sheppard, who was visiting Williams from his hometown of Fort Worth, Texas, described Blair Clark as "overdrunk" and said the cousin later had to be restrained from fighting with members of the Tre Tre Crips outside the club.
Witnesses are expected to testify that after the argument, Willie Clark asked for a gun, but then said he had one in his
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0224/20100224__20100224_B03_CD24CCCLARK.B%7Ep1_200.JPG (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=2876478)Witness Brandon Flowers was in the limo and still carries a bullet from the shooting. <!--IPTC: In this courtroom sketch, witness Brandon Flowers sits on the stand during the trial of Willie Clark in Denver, Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2010. Clark faces several charges, including first-degree murder, in the 2007 New Year's Day killing of Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams. (AP Photo/Pat Lopez)--> (Pat Lopez, The Associated Press)

truck. One witness told police she saw Willie Clark get into the white Chevrolet Tahoe that police say was used in the drive-by shooting. More than 15 shots from a .40-caliber and a .45-caliber handgun were fired into the limousine carrying 17 people.
Limo passenger Brandon Flowers testified he was shot in the buttocks and the bullet remains in his thigh muscle.
"We were driving and heard glass breaking and everyone got down," Flowers said. "I started feeling the pain in my backside, and I was shot."
Passenger Nicole Reindl still has a bullet lodged at the top of her head and she might have been killed had she not bent down to pick up her ringing cellphone, Levin said.
In his opening statements, defense lawyer Darren Cantor said much of the prosecution's case rests in the hands of questionable witnesses who made plea deals with prosecutors in exchange for their testimony.
"Willie Clark was not there," Cantor said. "He was not in the white Tahoe that night, and he was not the one who shot at the limousine.
" He has been made the scapegoat by this group of people and brought here before you in an effort by them to free themselves and their close friends."
Daniel "Ponytail" Harris, who prosecutors say was riding in the Tahoe, told investigators that Clark was driving and shooting out the passenger side window.
Harris was facing up to life in prison on a federal drug case but may serve only five years in prison in return for his testimony. He was also granted immunity from prosecution in the Williams killing.
"He is looking at up to life without the possibility of parole," Cantor said. "He knows that if he gets charged in this case for shooting Darrent Williams what the penalty is. Instead, the deal he gets, the sale he makes with these prosecutors and the federal government is that he gets five years of which he has served almost three."

Ralphy Boy
02-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Witness Brandon Flowers was in the limo and still carries a bullet from the shooting.

WTF????????????? Different Brandon Flowers I assume?

Molitoth
02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Marshall is a douchebag.

Mr. Laz
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
after reading that article, maybe it is the reason he wants out. I mean if everytime a team mate looked at you and you had to wonder "Do they blame me for Williams dying?"

that constant reminder of guilt would be hard to deal with each day.

JakeT
02-24-2010, 12:59 PM
after reading that article, maybe it is the reason he wants out. I mean if everytime a team mate looked at you and you had to wonder "Do they blame me for Williams dying?"

that constant reminder of guilt would be hard to deal with each day.

plus the fact that he may have to stand trial and send a top member of the whatever gang to jail for life -- yeah he may feel a little uneasy driving around Denver