PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eagles tried to get DJ

Chiefnj2
02-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Eagles Tried to Acquire Derrick Johnson During Season
2010 February 21
1 Comment
by Cody Benjamin

Derrick Johnson of the Kansas City Chiefs was mentioned among several players the Eagles would potentially make a move for at the 2009 season trade deadline. Philadelphia came away with Will Witherspoon in a deal with the Rams instead, but it has been learned that there were indeed forms of contact made to officials in K.C. regarding a possible trade for Johnson. The General Manager of the Chiefs–Scott Pioli, who also worked with Andy Reid & co. when he was a member of the Patriots’ staff and several trades were executed–said that the Eagles were among a trio of teams who had called him in hopes of striking a deal.

Johnson (pictured), who was 26 years of age at the time, was considered a potential answer at struggles the Birds had at the Linebacker position, but apparently Philadelphia’s discussions and/or offers were not quite suitable enough for Kansas City; that or the price tag to acquire the defender may have been too high. Through 5 seasons, Johnson has totaled 386 tackles, 13 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 12 forced fumbles. This past season, he saw his amount of repetitions drop as a result of inconsistent play, but he remains one of the most highly-regarded young Linebackers in the league.

There might be another chance for the Eagles to add Johnson, if they’re willing to pay what will likely be a steep price. The Texas native is due to become a restricted free agent on March 5th, so he’ll have a chance to sign with other teams; the only issue is that the interested clubs are going to likely have to dish out significant value in return for him, seeing that he has the restricted title

ModSocks
02-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Good. IF we're going to deal one of our most talented players, we better get a pretty penny for him. Get everything you can, Scott.

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Million dollar talent, ten cent brain.

I'd take what I could get and move on.

Demonpenz
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
he would be nice with the eagles. They would blitz him from all over.

Chief Faithful
02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
My understanding is several teams were bargain hunting thinking DJ could be had on the cheap.

CoMoChief
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
DJ would fucking kick ass in that defense.

HemiEd
02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
DJ would ****ing kick ass in that defense.
Why? Does the Eagle defense totally lack structure and a scheme? It is ok to be out of position?
I love the kid, but he needs to learn to play the way he is coached instead of free lancing.

OnTheWarpath15
02-22-2010, 02:41 PM
So Pioli thinks enough of DJ to demand higher compensation than the Eagles (and at least two other teams) were willing to pay, yet he doesn't play on Sundays for the worst LB corp in the NFL.

Shit or get off the pot, Scott.

Deal him, or play him.

HotRoute
02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd rather see Dorsey go and keep DJ. I have a feeling we let DJ and it will bite us in the ass

BigRedChief
02-22-2010, 02:47 PM

I'd take what I could get and move on.DJ has some true believers in his upside in the Chiefs. I knew about Haley being one but now hearing about the possible trades on the table and Pioli didn't pull the trigger, Pioli must be in the Haley camp too.

Chiefnj2
02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
DJ has some true believers in his upside in the Chiefs. I knew about Haley being one but now hearing about the possible trades on the table and Pioli didn't pull the trigger, Pioli must be in the Haley camp too.

Then play him.

BigRedChief
02-22-2010, 02:49 PM
My understanding is several teams were bargain hunting thinking DJ could be had on the cheap.welll on the surface how much is a non starter, doesn't even play special teams worth? no way the average NFL not even starting do you get draft picks for in trades.

BigRedChief
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Then play him.It's complicated. They are doing what they think is in the best interests of DJ to get him to play/live up to his potential.

Mr. Laz
02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I'd rather see Dorsey go and keep DJ. I have a feeling we let DJ and it will bite us in the ass:shake:

The Franchise
02-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I'd rather see Dorsey go and keep DJ. I have a feeling we let DJ and it will bite us in the ass

How the fuck did you get back in the green making statements like this?

Bill Lundberg
02-22-2010, 03:09 PM
welll on the surface how much is a non starter, doesn't even play special teams worth? no way the average NFL not even starting do you get draft picks for in trades.

He did play special teams.

BigRedChief
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM
He did play special teams.he didn't start on special teams. And whats a special teams player worth anyway?

Mecca
02-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Either play him or get rid of him, these stupid mind games these guys like to play don't do much for anyone.

Bill Lundberg
02-22-2010, 03:12 PM
he didn't start on special teams. And whats a special teams player worth anyway?

Just sayin', when he became a bench guy he was inserted on the kickoff team and possibly the punt return team (not sure on that one)

DBOSHO
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Espn just reported lt got released.

Id make a thread of it but i got banned for some reason

Chiefnj2
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
It's complicated. They are doing what they think is in the best interests of DJ to get him to play/live up to his potential.

He has been in the league for 5 years. Enough. Hire a sports phsych and play him, or trade him.

BigRedChief
02-22-2010, 03:16 PM
He has been in the league for 5 years. Enough. Hire a sports phsych and play him, or trade him.I'm not saying their judgement or decision is right. I think DJ gave them no choice in the matter anyway. You going to get a 7th rounders for him? How many 7th rounders make it in the NFL? I'd take DJ over a 7th rounder any day.

michaelj_58
02-22-2010, 05:23 PM
i hope they keep him, we had four starting linebackers and johnson was a back up which i didnt understand. so which is expendable, not johnson. he is one our building blocks to have a defense like pit. or philly.who would you upgrade on.

Chiefaholic
02-22-2010, 06:33 PM

I'd take what I could get and move on.

Same could be said for Reggie White and Neil Smith. I still believe DJ could be one hell of a playmaker in the right defensive system and with better talent around him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I still don't know what to make of DJ. SO inconsistent.

Sure-Oz
02-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Same could be said for Reggie White and Neil Smith. I still believe DJ could be one hell of a playmaker in the right defensive system and with better talent around him.

Their only job was to rush the QB

chiefzilla1501
02-22-2010, 07:41 PM
i hope they keep him, we had four starting linebackers and johnson was a back up which i didnt understand. so which is expendable, not johnson. he is one our building blocks to have a defense like pit. or philly.who would you upgrade on.

If DJ is one of our building blocks, we're in trouble.

#1, he plays the least important position on a 3-4
#2, he's horribly inconsistent and has been for 5 seasons

The Steelers have never been built around their ILBs (see Kendrell Bell). When Polamalu and Aaron Smith went down, the defense fell apart. They seem to treat their corners as the least important position on the field, but the ILB is a close second.

Easy 6
02-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I hope Romeo gets a chance to straighten him out some.

Still doesnt mean he gets to be starter, but why dump that kind of talent on such a un-talented team? unless its a big $ issue.

chiefzilla1501
02-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Still doesnt mean he gets to be starter, but why dump that kind of talent on such a un-talented yeam? unless its a big $ issue.

If you can get a real good pick, then I'd rather use the pick on a player who is more consistent and plays a position of actual positional value.

I agree, though, that the trade value has to be right. You wonder if this is a potential draft day trade where a trade goes off only if the Chiefs really, really like someone who's sitting in the second round. I have a feeling that the Chiefs are going to be watching the board very, very carefully by the time the Lions are up for their second pick.

The_Doctor10
02-22-2010, 08:01 PM
How the **** did you get back in the green making statements like this?

My guess would be too many posters were beating off to his Rihanna avatar to notice whether they were clicking 'Positive' or 'Negative' on the rep button:)

Easy 6
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
If you can get a real good pick, then I'd rather use the pick on a player who is more consistent and plays a position of actual positional value.

I agree, though, that the trade value has to be right. You wonder if this is a potential draft day trade where a trade goes off only if the Chiefs really, really like someone who's sitting in the second round. I have a feeling that the Chiefs are going to be watching the board very, very carefully by the time the Lions are up for their second pick.

I agree, despite my rooting for DJ he could very well be shipped off & justifiably so, if a no brainer deal is presented/player is available or if Romeo & the new staff decide he just isnt going to fit.

My gut says Crennel will be intrigued & try to keep him around... but yea, i've been wrong before.

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2010, 10:59 PM

Look at what you just wrote: "If he was in the right system and if there was better talent around him".

So what you're saying is that he's an average player that benefits from better players than him. He's not a game-changer nor is he an impact player but he could be, if everyone around him were great.

:rolleyes:

And to compare him to Reggie White?

Child, please.

alanm
02-23-2010, 12:22 AM

Still doesnt mean he gets to be starter, but why dump that kind of talent on such a un-talented team? unless its a big $ issue. He's been in the league 5 years. He's not getting any younger. His biggest problem is consistency and mental lapses. Granted he's also had two coordinators in his 5 years. Now 3. If the light ever comes on for him in his overall game he's more than talented enough to rack up some pro bowl seasons. But he's running out of time in KC. It's time for him to step up and become the player everyone thought he was supposed to be.

RippedmyFlesh
02-23-2010, 01:04 AM

If they got a 2nd for dj I would be estatic .

crazycoffey
02-23-2010, 01:21 AM
So Pioli thinks enough of DJ to demand higher compensation than the Eagles (and at least two other teams) were willing to pay, yet he doesn't play on Sundays for the worst LB corp in the NFL.

Shit or get off the pot, Scott.

Deal him, or play him.

I'm thinking, just maybe, after he started getting trade attention, they stopped playing him so he wouldn't get hurt. Just a thought, carry on....

salame
02-23-2010, 01:23 AM
I think it might be best for him to be on another team
I like him a lot
but shit play him

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-23-2010, 01:25 AM
I think it might be best for him to be on another team
I like him a lot
but shit play him

This. What's the deal?

DaneMcCloud
02-23-2010, 03:13 AM
I'm thinking, just maybe, after he started getting trade attention, they stopped playing him so he wouldn't get hurt. Just a thought, carry on....

But what about beyond October 15?

BossChief
02-23-2010, 03:31 AM
If Im a coach and I want to get the absolute most out of a career underacheiver, Im gonna only let him do what he is good at and take away the responsibilities he is lacking in production in to make a point that you have to earn your PT on this team. In DJs case, he is a somewhat soft run defender so they took away his run downs until he showed he deserved it.

He gave us more big plays in limited time than he ever did in full time in previous years and the point was made that he has to earn it.

I think it got to DJ by years end and after he broke Denvers back in the finale I dont think it was a coincedence that he gave Haley that huge hug. I think Haleys style is gonna get the most out of guys like DJ that had become complacent under the previous regime.

I see Haley, Crennel and Gary Gibbs as the right set of guys to surround DJ with to help him take the next step in his career in KC and not somewhere else.

I hope I am wrong.

crazycoffey
02-23-2010, 04:03 AM
But what about beyond October 15?

I don't know, the season is shot, Hailey may have just wanted to see what other talent he may have at the position, and then still to protect DJ's trade value this year or draft day.

It's total speculation, but to me it makes more sense than Hailey trying to "train him" to be a Hailey guy. Same thing with Bowe. You know the season is a wash and you know these two guys have value for trade or to play next year as the real team starts to take growth. That's the reason Dorsey and LJ played more, they had to prove more this year if they were worth keeping or not.

T-post Tom
02-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Joe Walsh loves "Diamond Joe's."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vkymXo2NP1M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vkymXo2NP1M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Chief Pote
02-23-2010, 05:04 AM
If they trade him....I'm gonna start a thread for all of us to count how many formers Chiefs players make it to the Super Bowl, AFTER they leave. I sure hope that this isn't the only team that fails to develop young talent.