PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli Says The Chiefs Aren't Looking For A Quarterback

|Zach|
02-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Source links in the linked post.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/2/25/1326764/chiefs-gm-scott-pioli-says-the

Around 10:30 this morning I was listening to Nick Wright on 610 Sports and he mentioned Jon Yoon's post from this morning

Basically, Yoon gave his thoughts on five myths he felt surrounded the Chiefs quarterback situation. His feelings are summed up pretty well in the title: "It's Okay To Draft Jimmy Clausen...And Yes, It Could Happen." He raises a few interesting (and debatable) points.

Wright, who had some nice words for AP, strongly disagreed.

"Jon Yoon wrote on Arrowhead Pride -- it was posted at 6:20 this morning -- that it's okay if the Chiefs draft Jimmy Clausen and yes it could happen," Wright said.

"No, it's not okay and no it can't happen!"

Here's a link to the 610 Sports podcast. It's about 25 minutes in.

Well, if you're into believing GMs at the NFL Combine, then Wright is, uh, right. Chiefs GM Scott Pioli said today that the Chiefs aren't in the market for a quarterback and Matt Cassel is the starter (and future) moving forward.

Of course, this won't change the rumor mill from churning. Due in large part to the Charlie Weis connection, I suspect we'll continue to hear folks suggest it's not so crazy if the Chiefs draft Jimmy Clausen.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2010, 05:26 PM
That right there makes me think they are considering it.

Hammock Parties
02-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Well, duh. Bill Williamson said they were going to draft an offensive tackle.

Thig Lyfe
02-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Trade Cassel to Denver. Draft Clausen. McDaniels is happy, Weiss is happy, everybody's happy.

Fish
02-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Source links in the linked post.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/2/25/1326764/chiefs-gm-scott-pioli-says-the
Well, if you're into believing GMs at the NFL Combine......

No.... I'm not really into believing GMs at the NFL Combine...

CoMoChief
02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Trade Cassel to Denver. Draft Clausen. McDaniels is happy, Weiss is happy, everybody's happy.

I'd rather see Denver make due with Kyle Orton. LMAO

FAX
With Weis on board, you can be certain they're considering it. Weis will want his own guy and he's high on Clausen. The first real tug-of-war in this new staff.

FAX

cabletech94
Cassel for all of Denvers picks!!!!

To the 'ship!!!!

noa
02-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Countless Chiefsplaneteers would be happy.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-25-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm quite sure we're sending Cassel to Denver with all of the playbook from 1 Arrowhead Drive. that's just plain dumb thinkin!

DaneMcCloud
02-25-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm quite sure we're sending Cassel to Denver with all of the playbook from 1 Arrowhead Drive. that's just plain dumb thinkin!

Who cares.

Like teams don't have TIVO'd game film from different viewing angles?

Consistent1
02-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Has there been any type of reason to believe that Denver is still the slightest bit interested in Cassel? I am being serious. Figured that idea would be shot by now. The Chiefs are stuck with him for now unless something crazy happens IMO. As far as the rest of the denial stuff, whatever. They most likely really are not wanting a QB, but leaking it out and denying makes it seem sly to average board junkies. I doubt anyone is fooled, or cares enough to make some silly ass trade to give the Chiefs a ton.

Fritz88
02-25-2010, 06:25 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223649

The Franchise
02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
That right there makes me think they are considering it.

This. If they're saying that they're taking him or not taking him....it's all a smokescreen before the draft. I would only believe this 100% if we had the #1 pick.

KCrockaholic
02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Well this has been obvious all along, some people just refuse to accept it. It will be ok. If Cassel sucks that bad, maybe we can get Locker next year. But I would rather him improve and show that he can lead this team to the playoffs and beyond. I would like to take Dan LeFevour(sp?) in the 4th or so.

stevieray
02-25-2010, 06:30 PM
this is just primer for the bomb that will go off on draft day, regardless if it's true or not..

Sure-Oz
02-25-2010, 06:38 PM
we aren't looking for any playmakers either

KCrockaholic
02-25-2010, 06:42 PM
we aren't looking for any playmakers either

Duh. Did you watch our draft last year. That's against the Pioli code.

Buzzsaw
02-25-2010, 06:48 PM
With Weis on board, you can be certain they're considering it. Weis will want his own guy and he's high on Clausen. The first real tug-of-war in this new staff.

FAX

It's an interesting situation for sure. From the outside looking in, I wonder how much input you take from your offensive coordinator in regards to a draft. Aside from the GM and HC, there's a whole staff of scouts, and Crennel's going to be pushing for a defensive player of course.

IDK, I personally don't think Pioli is the type of guy that's going to swayed by his offensive coordinator for an enormous franchise changing decision like this. If anything, maybe they (GM, HC, head of scouting) might think Weis is too biased and can't be impartial and think even less of his opinion?

Just some thoughts.

Saccopoo
02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, duh. Bill Williamson said they were going to draft an offensive tackle.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1112/ncf_g_rokung1_400.jpg

DaneMcCloud
02-25-2010, 06:52 PM
It's an interesting situation for sure. From the outside looking in, I wonder how much input you take from your offensive coordinator in regards to a draft. Aside from the GM and HC, there's a whole staff of scouts, and Crennel's going to be pushing for a defensive player of course.

IDK, I personally don't think Pioli is the type of guy that's going to swayed by his offensive coordinator for an enormous franchise changing decision like this. If anything, maybe they (GM, HC, head of scouting) might think Weis is too biased and can't be impartial and think even less of his opinion?

Just some thoughts.

Word.

It's definitely unwise to trust a two-time Super Bowl winning offensive coordinator's opinion, especially when he developed the player in question.

I'm sure that the scouts are far more knowledgeable in their evaluations of Clausen.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
So Nick Wright is ok with never winning a super bowl?

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Any chance this is just a smoke screen? Otherwise, motherfuck you, scott pioli!
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
02-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Any chance this is just a smoke screen? Otherwise, mother**** you, scott pioli!
Posted via Mobile DeviceYou have to suspect anything that is said or leaked by the team as a caculated move. SOP for all the teams. It's like they get a mulligan to lie until the draft.

MoreLemonPledge
02-25-2010, 07:11 PM
So Nick Wright is ok with never winning a super bowl?

So drafting Clausen automatically means super bowl?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2010, 07:15 PM
You have to suspect anything that is said or leaked by the team as a caculated move. SOP for all the teams. It's like they get a mulligan to lie until the draft.

Not only is it a smoke screen, but it's also a great message to your QB just in case your guy isn't there anymore when it's time to pick.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 07:17 PM
So drafting Clausen automatically means super bowl?

The Chiefs won't win a super bowl without a franchise QB.

bevischief
02-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Not only is it a smoke screen, but it's also a great message to your QB just in case your guy isn't there anymore when it's time to pick.

THIS.

MoreLemonPledge
02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
The Chiefs won't win a super bowl without a franchise QB.

This team wouldn't win with one as it stands.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
This team wouldn't win with one as it stands.

I think with a QB like Clausen they could.

DumbHillbillies
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM

LMAO. Yeah, no way that works. Kinda forgot about that.

Mecca
02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Nick Wright also said the Chiefs couldn't fire Herm Edwards, just consider his views as a whole.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Nick Wright also said the Chiefs couldn't fire Herm Edwards, just consider his views as a whole.

He's a nice buy but his football views suck.

Buzzsaw
02-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Word.

It's definitely unwise to trust a two-time Super Bowl winning offensive coordinator's opinion, especially when he developed the player in question.

I'm sure that the scouts are far more knowledgeable in their evaluations of Clausen.

I hear what you're saying, and I personally believe that you keep drafting QB's until you get a franchise guy, so while I don't think Clausen's a great prospect I think he'd be a good pick for KC.

But as far as the decision process I'd think that the Director of Scouting's opinion is typically going to carry the most weight. And Crennel's got the same qualifications as Weis, he'll push for a defensive player. Just an interesting, unique situation this year.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in KC's war room when they discuss this stuff.

BigRedChief
02-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Nick Wright also said the Chiefs couldn't fire Herm Edwards, just consider his views as a whole.Yep, thats important background information right there.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Yep, thats important background information right there.

Do you mind if I ask you a question about the most recent e-mail?

BigRedChief
02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Do you mind if I ask you a question about the most recent e-mail?Why your email broken?

Red Dawg
02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Really? What a shock we are not looking for a QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Trade Cassel for a 4th rounder and start a combination of Croyle or other bums until week 10.

beach tribe
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
It is Fact that there is absolutely no way they are not "loooking' AT Matt C.
the Guy who has been running our scheme his entire college career from under center.
If they don't realize the potential success rate of a guy who gets to come into the NFL, with the luxury of being injected into to the Pro game running the only professional grade scheme has ever know, that He's likely 90% Mastered by now. Throw in the bonus of getting to step into this league with your college head coach, who wears a fist full of rings, hold your hand the entire way.
You could not ask for a better environment for success than that. It's damn near unheard of.
I think it would build an element of chemistry, and a family feel that you can't buy.

If we pick JC, and it never leaks that we were interested, Pioli should be ****ing saluted, hell worshiped. All the Pioli bashers would have no choice but to take notice .

BUT we better at least end up with Berry when the 1st rnd ends or Pioli will have lost me.
This is no time to **** around. You've got 2 rare prizes in this draft, You've got to walk away with one of them.

I Like JC because of the "so perfect that it won't happen" situation he has here in KC, because all I've seen of him are highlights, but from what I've seen, the dude looks more talented than Tom Brady, but we all know there's more to winning than talent. What I'm saying is, dude looks like we could plug him in ,protect him with the running game the first few games, and turn him loose the rest of the season. He knows the offense.
As a matter of fact, if I were JC, I would be praying to come here. I would hate to go learn a new offense from a total stranger, and would know deep down that my chance for success were significantly smaller having to master an entirely new offense.

doomy3
02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I think with a QB like Clausen they could.

What the fuck?

You've been knocking Clausen in nearly every thread, and now you think he is a franchise QB that the Chiefs could win with?

beach tribe
02-25-2010, 08:27 PM
What the ****?

You've been knocking Clausen in nearly every thread, and now you think he is a franchise QB that the Chiefs could win with?

If that guy puts on Red everybody here is going to have a man crush on him.
Hamas is going to have a Pioli poster hanging over his bed, and on the wall across from the toilet at eye level whilst in strain position.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
What the ****?

What? I tried to find a reason not to like him and after trying to find a good reason I couldn't.

doomy3
02-25-2010, 08:40 PM
What? I tried to find a reason not to like him and after trying to find a good reason I couldn't.

Here, I'll help you:

Clausen is the same as Cassel.... Shitty leaders

And drafting Clausen with the 3rd pick would be stupid. Clausen was knocked for not being a leader. If you are going to draft a QB that high and pay him he better be able to lead a team.

Yea but Clausen isn't a top prospect I've even seen you say that before. Cassel is going to get 2 more years no matter what I would prefer drafting a QB in the 3rd or 4th round cut that shit Brodie Croyle and develope said QB. Cassel will be 30 or 31 then you can dump him.

Or maybe the Chiefs draft Clausen?

Yuck but that makes some sense if Weis is the OC.

Yea I'd like to see Washington draft Clausen, I hate both of them.

Whats with all the Clausen love?

Red Dawg
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Not to worry everyone. Blaine will be in KC red in a few.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Maybe you should spend less time stalking me and more time reading. Notice I admitted I tried to not like Clausen but couldn't come up with any good reasons. You fail Douchy.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
And Weis knows a shitload more about QB's than I do.

doomy3
02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Maybe you should spend less time stalking me and more time reading. Notice I admitted I tried to not like Clausen but couldn't come up with any good reasons. You fail Douchy.

I thought you listed a few very legitimate reasons in the posts I quoted. And FWIW, there's a feature called "search" on this board, so it really isn't stalking.

But it's cool. I would expect no different than for you to fall in line.

Pablo
02-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Here, I'll help you:billOWNED.

BigRedChief
02-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Not to worry everyone. Blaine will be in KC red in a few.Now that dude looks like he will be a great NFL QB.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I thought you listed a few very legitimate reasons in the posts I quoted. And FWIW, there's a feature called "search" on this board, so it really isn't stalking.

Fall in line? Is there some big Clausen contingency on the board? I know he's been discussed extensively in the last 24-48 hours, but am I missing something? Sincere question.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Fall in line? How so? I argued aginst drafting Sanchez last year and it looks like I was wrong. The reasons I listed for Clausen not being a good pick had nothing to do with his playing ability and like I said Weis knows much more about QB's than I do. I will admit I've changed my position on Clausen.

BossChief
02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Ya know what would be funny? If they drafted Jimmy and told Matt he had to give up #7! LOL

Pablo
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Fall in line? Is there some big Clausen contingency on the board? I know he's been discussed extensively in the last 24-48 hours, but am I missing something? Sincere question.I presume he's talking about the Rage Against The Regime bunch pining for a 1st round, franchise type QB(and rightfully so); and there's been a lot of positive talk of Clausen by said group in the last few days so naturally billay's going to fall in line.

doomy3
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Fall in line? Is there some big Clausen contingency on the board? I know he's been discussed extensively in the last 24-48 hours, but am I missing something? Sincere question.

Yeah, I would say that most of the people who were screaming for Sanchez last year (who also said that was the last year for awhile that there would be a QB worth taking) have been listing Clausen as their #1 or 2 choice for the last couple weeks. This is shaping up to be exactly like last offseason, IMO.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
I presume he's talking about the Rage Against The Regime bunch pining for a 1st round, franchise type QB(and rightfully so); and there's been a lot of positive talk of Clausen by said group in the last few days so naturally billay's going to fall in line.

Thats interesting because i'm pretty sure I disagreed with those people last year.

chiefzilla1501
02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I would say that most of the people who were screaming for Sanchez last year (who also said that was the last year for awhile that there would be a QB worth taking) have been listing Clausen as their #1 or 2 choice for the last couple weeks. This is shaping up to be exactly like last offseason, IMO.

I don't know that that's true. There were a lot of people that were not on the Sanchez bandwagon. Myself included.

I like Clausen a lot more than I like Sanchez.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2010, 08:54 PM

I thought there was some secret bandwagon I was joining. :)

For me, I just hadn't seen very much on him until yesterday. He went from someone I wouldn't consider to my top choice just like that.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
As much as I like Clausen, I still wish we'd drafted Sanchez last year. While the skill set is already there for Clausen, I think Sanchez still has way more upside and I think he proved that this year.

Sanchez is going to go from a game manager to a super star in the next couple of years IMO. He's hungry, has a good arm, and makes great decisions.

As good as Clausen looks, a part of it for me is the connection to Weis. He has years of experience doing the things that Weis is going to do here. That has to play a part in it if you think he has the skills to be a franchise QB to begin with. I'm not sure anything like that has ever happened in the NFL before.

DeezNutz
02-25-2010, 08:59 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=219852&highlight=Clausen

I was talking about it long before it was "cool."

beach tribe
02-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Word.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't think it's even possible to not spend a large portion of your consideration on the Clausen situation. It's not like Weis is just some OC that Todd is talkin too They've spent a lot of time together. Weis' credentials are in order. If Weis tells him this guy is the real deal, I think Todd will listen to him.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=219852&highlight=Clausen

I was talking about it long before it was "cool."

LMAO I've just had my thumbs in my ears screaming "LALALALALA-LOCKER" regarding Clausen up until this point.

beach tribe
02-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Ya know what would be funny? If they drafted Jimmy and told Matt he had to give up #7! LOL

The team is out on the field, Jimmy, askes Matt,

Jimmy:"dude let's work it out. How much you want for the#.

Cassel: I'm sorry Jim, but I chose this # for a reason, it is a symbol of what I've had to go through to finally have my own team.

Jim: "I've never worn another number dude"
"Why don't you wear the # you had in NE that you had soo much success in. I'm telling you dude, you change your #, it's bad juju..

Cassel: "with all do respect bro, I can't give it to you."
Todd Haley who happens to have been ease dropping on the two from 10 yards away turns, and says "FU#KIN Throw for it!!!!

Jimmy smiles, and Matt takes his jersey off, and sighs.

Marcellus
02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I really believe that Pioli is out telling everyone who we want to draft so everybody knows. Makes complete sense.

He says we are going to be active in free agency everybody says bullshit. He says we aren't looking to draft a QB and everybody says moron.

Selective listening is a CP specialty.

Tribal Warfare
02-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Couldn't agree more.

I don't think it's even possible to not spend a large portion of your consideration on the Clausen situation. It's not like Weis is just some OC that Todd is talkin too They've spent a lot of time together. Weis' credentials are in order. If Weis tells him this guy is the real deal, I think Todd will listen to him.

If he is unsure that Cassel is a franchise QB, and is more comfortable with Clausen as QB then you take Clausen. He's the QB that Weis has confidence in.

RustShack
02-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Well, if you're into believing GMs at the NFL Combine, then Wright is, uh, right. Chiefs GM Scott Pioli said today that the Chiefs aren't in the market for a quarterback and Matt Cassel is the starter (and future) moving forward.

Scott Pioli, throwing seven different kinds of smoke!

BigRedChief
02-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Scott Pioli, throwing seven different kinds of smoke!7? More like 107.LMAO

beach tribe
02-25-2010, 10:18 PM
As much as I like Clausen, I still wish we'd drafted Sanchez last year. While the skill set is already there for Clausen, I think Sanchez still has way more upside and I think he proved that this year.

Sanchez is going to go from a game manager to a super star in the next couple of years IMO. He's hungry, has a good arm, and makes great decisions.

As good as Clausen looks, a part of it for me is the connection to Weis. He has years of experience doing the things that Weis is going to do here. That has to play a part in it if you think he has the skills to be a franchise QB to begin with. I'm not sure anything like that has ever happened in the NFL before.

If Clausen comes, and plays for us, Mark Sanchez will be in his shadow in the AFC.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2010, 10:33 PM
If Clausen comes, and plays for us, Mark Sanchez will be in his shadow in the AFC.

That's sure how I'll be hoping it pans out.

DeezNutz
02-25-2010, 10:34 PM

Sign me up.

BigChiefFan
02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
The problem is, the Redskins. If the Rams go QB, we can pretty much count ourselves out of the QB sweepstakes, IMO.

Titty Meat
02-25-2010, 10:53 PM
The problem is, the Redskins. If the Rams go QB, we can pretty much count ourselves out of the QB sweepstakes, IMO.

Depends if Shanahan likes Campbell plus the Redskins really need o-line help.

chiefzilla1501
02-25-2010, 11:25 PM

Still disagree.

I think he holds on to the ball way too long, is reckless holding onto the ball and is a fumble waiting to happen, and I don't think he's going to operate well behind either a more complex offense.

I like Clausen's upside a lot better. Not great measurables, but solid enough. But real smart kid with good accuracy. Granted, I think his upside is better because his downside is lower. I don't know if Clausen will be an elite QB, but I think it's a pretty good bet he'll be a good QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-26-2010, 04:39 AM

To be honest, I don't follow as many college teams as a lot of these guys do, and it was my understanding that our only choices this year were Jeebus Junior(Florida), Larry(OU) and Shemp(UT).

But I'm not completely averse to holding out one more year if there will be comparable or better candidates.

crazycoffey
02-26-2010, 05:08 AM
I think with a QB like Clausen they could. 2010
I think with a QB like Sanchez they could. 2009
I think with a QB like Ryan they could. 2008
I think with a QB like Quinn they could. 2007
I think with a QB like Leinart they could. 2006
I think with a QB like Rogers they could. 2005 (come on admit it, there are some of you that think we should have taken Aaron over Derrick)
I think with a QB like Blackledge they could. 1983

FYP billay

OnTheWarpath15
02-26-2010, 08:22 AM
So, we're not looking for a QB in the draft, yet we met with Levi Brown of Troy two nights ago.

Brilliant.

bkkcoh
02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Don't believe anything until it is been officially denied.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Still disagree.

I think he holds on to the ball way too long, is reckless holding onto the ball and is a fumble waiting to happen, and I don't think he's going to operate well behind either a more complex offense.

I like Clausen's upside a lot better. Not great measurables, but solid enough. But real smart kid with good accuracy. Granted, I think his upside is better because his downside is lower. I don't know if Clausen will be an elite QB, but I think it's a pretty good bet he'll be a good QB.

Fair enough. I'll tell you what, we draft him and I'll be his biggest fan.

Chief Pote
02-26-2010, 12:03 PM
The team is out on the field, Jimmy, askes Matt,

Jimmy:"dude let's work it out. How much you want for the#.

Cassel: I'm sorry Jim, but I chose this # for a reason, it is a symbol of what I've had to go through to finally have my own team.

Jim: "I've never worn another number dude"
"Why don't you wear the # you had in NE that you had soo much success in. I'm telling you dude, you change your #, it's bad juju..

Cassel: "with all do respect bro, I can't give it to you."
Todd Haley who happens to have been ease dropping on the two from 10 yards away turns, and says "FU#KIN Throw for it!!!!

Jimmy smiles, and Matt takes his jersey off, and sighs.

Wherever Clausen lands, I hope he's mature enough and intelligent enough not to give a shit about the number he wears and more about how many touchdowns he throws.

keg in kc
02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
You'd need CIA cryptography experts to try and dig the truth out of anything Pioli says for the next two months.