PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink When you drink, do you have an off switch?

KCChiefsMan
02-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Can you have just a couple of beers, glasses or wine or whatever it is you are drinking and be done? Or do you keep going until you are drunk? Do you have an "off switch?" It's all or nothing with me, I'm curious about how others handle their alcohol.

Pants
02-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, I can very easily have 3 beers and stop. Alcohol control has never been an issue for me.

Bugeater
02-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Yep, it's called 'the floor'.

The Franchise
02-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah....and I also know when to stop before I'll puke too.

Bane
02-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Yes I can stop.I usually have 3-4 jager bombs and then drink soda the rest of the night.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2010, 06:17 PM
drinking is a party game to me ... if the party stops, then i just stop. :shrug:

Buck
02-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I can stop easily. Also if I drink like 20 beers, my brain switches off.

CoMoChief
02-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah. On the week days I usually don't go out or drink a whole lot. I hate getting up hungover and having to work the next day.

Weekends though are another story. I'm a work hard/play hard kinda person.

LaChapelle
02-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I suspect it's an empty wallet
for these boozehounds

kstater
02-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Why the hell would I want to stop and sober up?

KCChiefsMan
02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah. On the week days I usually don't go out or drink a whole lot. I hate getting up hungover and having to work the next day.

ya, that's how am now.

SAUTO
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM

this is me. like tonight. cards and a bottle of patron. maybe a bottle and a half.....
Posted via Mobile Device

KCChiefsMan
02-26-2010, 06:26 PM
this is me. like tonight. cards and a bottle of patron. maybe a bottle and a half.....
Posted via Mobile Device

well that beats my 12 pack of miller lite that I will put down tonight....before I go out to the bars.

|Zach|
02-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Absolutely.

|Zach|
02-26-2010, 06:27 PM
well that beats my 12 pack of miller lite that I will put down tonight....before I go out to the bars.

I know it is "in" on this board to talk about drinking a lot but this post just seems sad to me.

listopencil
02-26-2010, 06:28 PM
I usually drink until I get a buzz, then maintain that buzz. If I stop enjoying it I stop drinking. Of course twenty five years ago that wasn't the case.

SAUTO
02-26-2010, 06:29 PM

we went crazy for a while and hit the bars for a couple of months like 3-4 times a week. got EXPENSIVE. the wife can hold her own too, lucky for me she hates tekillya, but we couldnt walk in with out droppin at least a buck fifty. usually more. staying home is much cheaper
Posted via Mobile Device

KCChiefsMan
02-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I know it is "in" on this board to talk about drinking a lot but this post just seems sad to me.

Once I get that first taste of beer, I just can't stop. I wish I wasn't like that, but that's how it is for me. I'm not trying to sound cool by talking about how much I can drink, but just being brutally honest I guess.

rockymtnchief
02-26-2010, 06:43 PM
If I'm in good company I want to keep drinking and BSing. If not, one or two and head home.

|Zach|
02-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Once I get that first taste of beer, I just can't stop. I wish I wasn't like that, but that's how it is for me. I'm not trying to sound cool by talking about how much I can drink, but just being brutally honest I guess.

I understand.

I think I am jaded from my bar tending days.

CosmicPal
02-26-2010, 06:45 PM
I've learned to quit after 3 drinks. If I have that fourth one, I'm history- there's no stopping me. At this very moment, I'm on my second cocktail.

ChiTown
02-26-2010, 06:55 PM
It depends when I am asked that question - before or after I start drinking.

:D

Reaper16
02-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Yes. I don't like the effects of alcohol so I tend to stop after I first begin to feel it. I only drink beer and wine because of their complex flavor anyway. I don't touch anything else.

Pants
02-26-2010, 06:59 PM

I didn't know they had sex robots in bars.

SAUTO
02-26-2010, 07:05 PM
wow thats a shocker to me. i would have nevef thought that with the way you talk about beer and wine. me i fucking HATE BEER, taste smell everything about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

edit. i quoted reapers post above but something went wrong....

Gonzo
02-26-2010, 07:24 PM
I used to drink like an sob. 4-5 times a week. I'd drink until I felt a really good buzz. Not anymore though. About 6 months ago, I just stopped. I'll have a scotch or two every now and again but rarely any more than that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
02-26-2010, 07:26 PM
I could always quit drinking. The off switch for other vices didn't work very well, though. Unless you count running out of money as an off switch. :D

KCChiefsMan
02-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I didn't know they had sex robots in bars.

they don't

crazycoffey
02-26-2010, 07:43 PM

I know it's "in" on this board, for some, to post an ultra conservative goody goody post about effects of alcohol and responsibilities of being a better person, but this post just looks gay. NTTAWWT

Delano
02-26-2010, 07:46 PM
I definitely have a tipping point but I don't hit it often.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
02-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Dipsomania is very common. It often evolves in to full-blown alcoholism, sadly.

I used to drink until sweet oblivion took me or somebody passed me the coke whichever came first. Nowadays, however, I find myself just enjoying a few beers or a couple glasses of wine without attempting to turn invisible.

FAX

CosmicPal
02-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Finishing my third drink. It's either quit now or all hell breaks loose.

Reaper16
02-26-2010, 08:12 PM
In honor of this thread I'm not consuming any alcohol from tonight til Monday.
"So here I am in the Middle West, the Heartland, muhfucker; sippin' whole milk, muhfucker!"

damaticous
02-26-2010, 08:24 PM
3 or less, I can stop and be fine
4 or more and I HATE to stop, so most the time I don't. I keep going.

I don't drink on weekdays anymore. Hangovers suck while working.

I only drink on Saturdays and during football season I'll drink a few on Sundays (helps with the hangover from Saturdays.

right now I'm drinking an average of a case of beer on Saturdays, but I anticipate that decreasing drastically soon. Those all day hangovers on Sundays suck.

DeezNutz
02-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Depends.

What's socially acceptable changes with the age of the person.

What he just described read like "undergraduate" to me. Eh. No biggie.

rtmike
02-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I usually never stopped until I had that buzz on or it hit 9pm. Usually quit so I could eat & go to bed. I used to wake up hungover every morning & think "I'm not drinking today, I hate feeling like this." Then around 3pm I couldn't wait to get home to crack one open. The 3am getting up for work never even used to stop me, just made me grouchy at work.

Days' off or weekends I always made sure it was at least noon before I started.

None of that is some thing I'm proud of. Just being brutally honest.

Reaper16
02-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Depends.

What's socially acceptable changes with the age of the person.

What he just described read like "undergraduate" to me. Eh. No biggie.
It might very well be a biggie. Its certainly not small potatoes no matter how one spins it.

BWillie
02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
3 or less, I can stop and be fine
4 or more and I HATE to stop, so most the time I don't. I keep going.

I don't drink on weekdays anymore. Hangovers suck while working.

I only drink on Saturdays and during football season I'll drink a few on Sundays (helps with the hangover from Saturdays.

right now I'm drinking an average of a case of beer on Saturdays, but I anticipate that decreasing drastically soon. Those all day hangovers on Sundays suck.

That pretty much covers it, especially in bold. You might want to try pedialyte. It works great. Just drink a bunch of it before you go to bed, you'll be livin' the dream in the morning.

Nzoner
02-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Well i went t my fav watering hole at 4 today,planning on having 2-3 25 oz beers,friends showed up and i finally made m7yself go home after 5...25 ozer's and a 16 oz.In my defense though a buddy bougt me the last 41 ouces to stick around.

Yep,it's hards for me to say no.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-26-2010, 09:51 PM

I used to drink until sweet oblivion took me or somebody passed me the coke whichever came first. Nowadays, however, I find myself just enjoying a few beers or a couple glasses of wine without attempting to turn invisible.

FAXNext time you DO get hammered, FAX, please post. I can only imagine the awesomeness of whatever thread that'd end up being. Who's with me, gang?

CosmicPal
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Well i went t my fav watering hole at 4 today,planning on having 2-3 25 oz beers,friends showed up and i finally made m7yself go home after 5...25 ozer's and a 16 oz.In my defense though a buddy bougt me the last 41 ouces to stick around.

Yep,it's hards for me to say no.

If there was a sobriety test online, you'd fail. :D

KCChiefsMan
02-26-2010, 10:06 PM
halfway through a mickey's 40 and had a couple of negra modelo's. About to go out, getting buzzed. I don't drink that much anymore so I'm a lightweight now, but when I drink like I said, can't stop

Terribilis
02-26-2010, 10:08 PM
FAX
I learned a new term today.

CosmicPal
02-26-2010, 10:09 PM
and had a couple of negra modelo's.

Polished off a twelver of that stuff the other day. I make beer-marinated chicken tacos with Negra Modelo. It's goooooooood! Really, really goooooood!

KCChiefsMan
02-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Polished off a twelver of that stuff the other day. I make beer-marinated chicken tacos with Negra Modelo. It's goooooooood! Really, really goooooood!

mmmm, sounds good :D

CosmicPal
02-26-2010, 10:17 PM
mmmm, sounds good :D

Yep...here's my recipe.

For the marinade
1 cup dark Mexican beer, such as Negra Modelo
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups of your favorite guacamole
8-12 Taco size corn tortillas
1. Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade together in a small bowl. Place the chicken thighs in a large Ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible, and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours to overnight.
2. Remove chicken from the refrigerator while lighting the fire. Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals out evenly over the charcoal grate. Grill chicken until fully cooked and browned on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into thin strips.
3. While the chicken is resting, warm tortillas on the grill until pliable, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. To assemble, spread a heaping spoonful of guacamole along the middle of each tortilla. Pile with chicken slices and serve.

KCChiefsMan
02-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Yep...here's my recipe.

For the marinade
1 cup dark Mexican beer, such as Negra Modelo
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups of your favorite guacamole
8-12 Taco size corn tortillas
1. Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade together in a small bowl. Place the chicken thighs in a large Ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible, and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours to overnight.
2. Remove chicken from the refrigerator while lighting the fire. Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals out evenly over the charcoal grate. Grill chicken until fully cooked and browned on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into thin strips.
3. While the chicken is resting, warm tortillas on the grill until pliable, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. To assemble, spread a heaping spoonful of guacamole along the middle of each tortilla. Pile with chicken slices and serve.

I'm going to try that sometime

CosmicPal
02-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm going to try that sometime

I happened to notice the store had Negra Modelo on sale the other day, so I simply bought the 12-pack and picked up the other ingredients and went home to make the marinade. The following evening we had beer-marinated tacos.

kysirsoze
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I can definitely stop when I care to. I abstain just enough that it only takes 4-5 drinks to get a pretty decent buzz going. Admittedly I often exceed that.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't have an 'ON' switch...

02-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Generally, I stop at 2.

Stewie
02-27-2010, 06:55 AM
When I was younger I drank until I got drunk. It was the point of drinking. Now when I drink it's limited to 2-3 unless I'm at a party. And I no longer drink beer at all. It used to be all I would drink, but when I hit my mid-30s it lost all of its appeal and no longer tasted good. Now I drink wine or a good whiskey (Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace).

Demonpenz
02-27-2010, 07:34 AM
I am powerless on the amount that a drink and I can't control my life with alcohol.

bevischief
02-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Why the hell would I want to stop and sober up?

this

DumbHillbillies
02-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, its usually my wallet that decides how much I drink.

PRIEST
02-27-2010, 08:33 AM
I can stop easily. Also if I drink like 20 beers, my brain switches off.

THIS:D

MikeTheWildcat
02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
I stop after 1 or 2 drinks. I don't like hangovers or feeling out of control. Besides a nice glass of wine with a steak is all I need anyway. Maybe a beer (Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat) watching the Chiefs or KSU play.

MahiMike
02-27-2010, 09:31 AM
I stop when I want or the bottle is empty, whichever comes last.

SDChiefs
02-27-2010, 12:38 PM
If im drinking with a bunch of friends at the house, I tend to just grab beer after beer without noticing it. Before I know it Im plowed. If im out Ill drink to get buzzed then cool it enough to sober up before I have to drive.

Hootie
02-27-2010, 12:40 PM
No off switch here...

If I drink, I drink to get out of control, blacked out drunk.

That's not a good thing.

CosmicPal
02-27-2010, 09:13 PM
This is what happens to me when I drink too much:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U9HYUKfm9rM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U9HYUKfm9rM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Simply Red
02-27-2010, 09:28 PM
it's welded in the off position.

NewChief
02-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Probably one of the biggest things I'm working on. I'm fine at home, as I can have just a couple of drinks in a night. If I get in a social party situation, then I have a real hard time turning it off. I don't get completely slammed, but I pretty much want a beer in my hand at all times.

angelo
02-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I am drinking right now!!

I can turn it on or off.

I have an extremely high tolerance for alcohol.

I try to usually limit my self to 2-3 in social setting 4-5 if I am with the boy's.

Although sometimes it is like I have a hollow leg.

Ang

Consistent1
02-27-2010, 10:14 PM
oFf sWithzz?

Phobia
02-27-2010, 10:30 PM
I've learned to pace myself. I prefer to average a drink an hour. I've never drank to get drunk but the past several years I've tried to avoid getting drunk at all. I'm not a very responsible person sober, much less drunk and it takes one poor decision before it affects your entire family. I don't want to be that guy.

Blick
02-28-2010, 03:53 AM
I drink to get drunk but I can turn it off before I get sloppy and/or sick. I can drink a lot, so usually I don't stay up late enough to drink enough to get really shitty drunk...even if I pre-drink before the bars, close the bars down, and then come back and have more drinks at after hours. Going to bed usually sounds like a better idea than finishing a bottle of whiskey by myself with everyone passed out.

Inspector
02-28-2010, 07:11 AM
I have an off switch and my wife has a magic button.