PDA

View Full Version : Misc Phoeniz, AZ: Anyone from there, live there?

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Anyone from there? Whats the scoup on the city/area? Got some company offering me a boatload of money to take a position there.

Quick glance at the housing market looks like alot of foreclourses and cheap housing.

Should I avoid the area no matter the salary?

RJ
02-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Pretty nice city if you don't mind 115 in the summer. There's a number of CP'ers there.

SDChiefs
02-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Im not a fan. Well, of AZ in general.

MIAdragon
02-27-2010, 11:24 AM
isn’t RoR from there?

chief52
02-27-2010, 11:26 AM
My sister and her family ended up there for work after living in Ca and Wa. They love it. Big beautiful home with a pool...a must down there. I do not think they will ever leave. I love visiting them. Guess that is probably a drawback to moving to Phoenix :) I should be down there for spring training right now!

Bugeater
02-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I spent a week there and that was enough to convince me I would never live there, I didn't like the landscape at all. No trees, no grass (except on the golf courses)...nothing green anywhere, just dirt and rocks and cactuses, I felt like I was in some kind of friggin' wasteland. I think crime is kinda bad there as well. The weather sure is nice in the wintertime though.

Stewie
02-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I spent alot of time there from '07 to '09 for my job. There are tons of other places I would live before I'd live there. You can get a house there cheap now, I'm sure. I saw the boom and then the crash in housing. Towards the end of my time there, unfinished new housing stood untouched for months. I doubt it's changed much.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I spent alot of time there from '07 to '09 for my job. There are tons of other places I would live before I'd live there. You can get a house there cheap now, I'm sure. I saw the boom and then the crash in housing. Towards the end of my time there, unfinished new housing stood untouched for months. I doubt it's changed much.yep, 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, 3000 sq ft in suburbia built in 2005 for $180K.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 11:45 AM
dupe

Frazod
02-27-2010, 11:48 AM
It would be brutal in the summer, but nice the rest of the time. I certainly wouldn't miss midwestern humidity. Scottsdale is particularly awesome. But I'm told there's a vast difference between visiting the desert and living in the desert. It's not for everybody.

pr_capone
02-27-2010, 12:04 PM
That is where I want to move to. Hopefully I am there within the next 5 years or so. :D

YAY for 350 days of nice riding weather per year!

Sully
02-27-2010, 12:36 PM
The wife is intervieing there, so we may be in the same boat.

Where's your son going to go to college, BRC?

WilliamTheIrish
02-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I love it there. I'd take that desert heat over this humidity ridden shit we get all summer. I looked in Glendale last year at homes while doing a Spring Training vacation. Those same homes I looked at are still vacant and have dropped up to 70k in asking price.

If I could, I'd move in a heartbeat.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 12:59 PM
The wife is intervieing there, so we may be in the same boat.

Where's your son going to go to college, BRC?He's just going to Longview college because he doesn't know what he wants to do yet. So just take some basic cources that can transfer until he figures it out.

You going to the Mavs game tonight?

Sully
02-27-2010, 01:04 PM
He's just going to Longview college because he doesn't know what he wants to do yet. So just take some basic cources that can transfer until he figures it out.

You going to the Mavs game tonight?

Ill be there. Look forward to finally talking to you in person.

Phobia
02-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Man, I'd jump for Phoenix in a heartbeat. I love that place. Family is a concern but I really like Phoenix.

EWOK
02-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I have been living in Phoenix since 91. Summers are brutal 110 + but winters are great and you never have to shovel sunshine. The state is a "Right to Work" which sucks so keep that in mind. The freeways system is 20 years behind to buy a house is great but I would hate to sell one. You are going to be 5 hours from the beach, 2.5 hours from skiing, and 1.5 hours from the forests. Baseball starts early and during spring training you can see many teams, we also have all the majors sports. The desert takes some getting use to but the sunsets are fantastic. Their are lakes close by if you are into that and the camping up north is great. I hope this helps.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Man, I'd jump for Phoenix in a heartbeat. I love that place. Family is a concern but I really like Phoenix.I don't know whats going on whether the recession is getting better or what it is but, I'm getting a lot more calls about jobs now. I've got a 2nd interview with the evil empire, Microsoft for a position paying a boatload of money in St. Louis this week.

Yeah, with David finishing high school in a couple of months and just wanting to take basic courses for right now, he can take those anywhere. The wife can teach anywhere, or most places anyway.

But, on the other hand I got a nice cushy job now in which I'm way overpaid.

Bowser
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Scottsdale is nice. My dad had an old friend that lived at the base of Camelback Mountain. Great place.

If I were to live in Arizona, it would be in Flagstaff, if I had a choice in the matter.

Time's Yours
02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm becoming so sick of cold and snow. I could definitely live in the Southwest

Mr. Flopnuts
02-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I love it there. I'd take that desert heat over this humidity ridden shit we get all summer. I looked in Glendale last year at homes while doing a Spring Training vacation. Those same homes I looked at are still vacant and have dropped up to 70k in asking price.

If I could, I'd move in a heartbeat.

I've been to both places. I'd take 115 and dry over 95 and humid as fuck any day of the week.

Bowser
02-27-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm becoming so sick of cold and snow. I could definitely live in the Southwest

I say the same thing, but the last week of August will have me wanting this shit weather back.

Bowser
02-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I've been to both places. I'd take 115 and dry over 95 and humid as fuck any day of the week.I'd have to agree with this. Humidity = devil.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I've been to both places. I'd take 115 and dry over 95 and humid as **** any day of the week.I spent a summer in the desert by the Dead Sea in Israel one summer. 120 degrees during the day. Worked outside. I swear it wasn't any hotter than KC in the summer when its 90 degrees.

Stewie
02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I have been living in Phoenix since 91. Summers are brutal 110 + but winters are great and you never have to shovel sunshine. The state is a "Right to Work" which sucks so keep that in mind. The freeways system is 20 years behind to buy a house is great but I would hate to sell one. You are going to be 5 hours from the beach, 2.5 hours from skiing, and 1.5 hours from the forests. Baseball starts early and during spring training you can see many teams, we also have all the majors sports. The desert takes some getting use to but the sunsets are fantastic. Their are lakes close by if you are into that and the camping up north is great. I hope this helps.

The incremental opening of 202 helped ALOT while I was there. We could get downtown and to the airport in a hurry instead of dealing with the I-10 clusterfuck in Phoenix. I'm sure the 202 "back-roads" have been figured out by now.

Spring training blew me away. I stayed at a golf resort in Mesa during my time there, but it filled up during spring training because damn near every hotel was booked.

It's just too damn hot for me there in the summer and so fucking dry. They don't call it the booger picking capitol of the world for nothing. And the politics are soooo conservative. I never saw so many Ron Paul for President billboards. They were everywhere in '08.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I have been living in Phoenix since 91. Summers are brutal 110 + but winters are great and you never have to shovel sunshine. The state is a "Right to Work" which sucks so keep that in mind. The freeways system is 20 years behind to buy a house is great but I would hate to sell one. You are going to be 5 hours from the beach, 2.5 hours from skiing, and 1.5 hours from the forests. Baseball starts early and during spring training you can see many teams, we also have all the majors sports. The desert takes some getting use to but the sunsets are fantastic. Their are lakes close by if you are into that and the camping up north is great. I hope this helps.What's a "right to work"?

Bowser
02-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Go find ENDelt and party on his deck. He may be in Tuscon, though.....

Mr. Flopnuts
02-27-2010, 01:46 PM
I spent a summer in the desert by the Dead Sea in Israel one summer. 120 degrees during the day. Worked outside. I swear it wasn't any hotter than KC in the summer when its 90 degrees.

You'll sweat less in the dry 120 than you do in the humid 90. It's much more comfortable to me. You just have to learn the tricks of the trade. Like covering your windshields up while you're out and about so you don't get 2nd degree burns when you get back in your car and grab the steering wheel.

Slainte
02-27-2010, 01:48 PM
What's a "right to work"?

It's basically the right of your employer to fire you at any time, without having to give due cause. And you have no reproach unless you can prove some sort of discrimination...

Mr. Flopnuts
02-27-2010, 01:50 PM
It's basically the right of your employer to fire you at any time, without having to give due cause. And you have no reproach unless you can prove some sort of discrimination...

Most states have that law. I'd be surprised if MO and KS didn't.

Stewie
02-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Most states have that law. I'd be surprised if MO and KS didn't.

I think it's a union thing. Kansas is right to work, I don't think Missouri is. I could be wrong.

1ChiefsDan
02-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I agree that hot and dry is better than hot and humid - but the summers in the desert are brutal. We lived in Vegas for 8 years - went to visit my Grandad in Phoenix for his birthday one year (July) - couldn't wait to get back to Vegas where it was "cooler".

WilliamTheIrish
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Actually "Right To Work" means more than that. It's the ability to work in a union environment and reap the benefits, but not have to be part of the union.

It also means you get paid the same as the guy next to you because the union negotiated your wage.

WilliamTheIrish
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I think it's a union thing. Kansas is right to work, I don't think Missouri is. I could be wrong.

You are correct.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 01:55 PM
It's basically the right of your employer to fire you at any time, without having to give due cause. And you have no reproach unless you can prove some sort of discrimination...chit, thats no biggie to me. I've been working like that for years. You make yourself valuable and people like to work with you, you never have a problem regardless of the field your in. My field(I.T.) once you prove yourself and make life easier for the departments and boss's above you..you can make some mistakes and survive. And when I make a mistake thousands of people know about it. :)

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Actually "Right To Work" means more than that. It's the ability to work in a union environment and reap the benefits, but not have to be part of the union.

It also means you get paid the same as the guy next to you because the union negotiated your wage.holy crap, that doesn't sound fair at all. Why would you join the union if you get the same wages and benefits but not pay the union dues?

pr_capone
02-27-2010, 02:04 PM
holy crap, that doesn't sound fair at all. Why would you join the union if you get the same wages and benefits but not pay the union dues?

As I understand it... If there is a greivance against you at any point the union will come to bat for you if you are a member. If not, there is only so much that the union is required to do for you.

WilliamTheIrish
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
holy crap, that doesn't sound fair at all. Why would you join the union if you get the same wages and benefits but not pay the union dues?

Exactly. It is more than anything a law that's designed to discourage non-union working environments from organizing.(help the employer)

And those that are organized want you to join and even may apply a little peer pressure. (help the union)

And several unions are exempt from RTW. (Railways, some Fed stuff; Air traffic controllers)

Slainte
02-27-2010, 02:06 PM

It also means you get paid the same as the guy next to you because the union negotiated your wage.

"Right to work" extends to employment that has nothing to do with unions or unions rights...(i.e., Florida)

WilliamTheIrish
02-27-2010, 02:18 PM
http://phoenix.about.com/cs/empl/a/righttowork.htm

Arizona is a Right to Work state. Often there is confusion as to what that means. Many people believe it means that you can be fired from your job without explanation, and they are, therefore, reluctant to live and work in a Right to Work state. That is not the basis of the Right to Work concept. A Right to Work law guarantees that no person can be compelled, as a condition of employment, to join or not to join, or to pay dues to a labor union. In other words, if you work in a Right to Work state, like Arizona, and the employees form a union, you may not be fired if you decide not to join. Likewise, if you are a member of a union in a Right to Work state, and you decide to resign from the union, you may not be fired for that reason.

Because before Taft-Hartley, you could be canned for any of those reasons.

WilliamTheIrish
02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
"Right to work" extends to employment that has nothing to do with unions or unions rights...(i.e., Florida)

Absolutely. That's why I replied and said it "means more than just" being fired w/o cause. But the original intent was to protect workers in a union environment from being removed for not joining the union.

DrRyan
02-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I have lived in Phoenix since about Thanksgiving 2006 when I moved back to the states from New Zealand. The summers are brutal when it is over 110 for 40-50 days in a row. Don't buy the, "it's a dry heat" BS. It is brutally hot. If you do not like the heat, I would suggest against making the move. The good news is Flagstaff is always 15-30 degrees cooler than Phoenix and is only two hours away. I really like Flagstaff.

Vegas, LA and SD are about an hour flight away. I enjoy living here enough to stay for a while. Eventually I would prefer living in Colorado though.

Stewie
02-27-2010, 02:27 PM
I have lived in Phoenix since about Thanksgiving 2006 when I moved back to the states from New Zealand. The summers are brutal when it is over 110 for 40-50 days in a row. Don't buy the, "it's a dry heat" BS. It is brutally hot. If you do not like the heat, I would suggest against making the move. The good news is Flagstaff is always 15-30 degrees cooler than Phoenix and is only two hours away. I really like Flagstaff.

Vegas, LA and SD are about an hour flight away. I enjoy living here enough to stay for a while. Eventually I would prefer living in Colorado though.

Me too. I'd live in Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson in a heartbeat, not the valley.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Personally, I'd jump at the chance.

The housing market is way down right now, so you can get an amazing place for an extremely affordable price. The market WILL come back, it's just a matter of time. You'll like gain $50-100k in equity over the next 5-7 years.

Scottsdale is awesome. Also, as others have mentioned, you're an hour flight from LA, San Diego & Vegas. For the kids, it would be incredible. Even by car, it's only about 5.5 hours to LA or SD, meaning you could go to Sea World, DisneyLand, Universal, etc. on a Friday evening and spend all day Saturday at those parks.

There are just so many opportunities to have fun and enjoy life, especially in the winter months.

Just be absolutely certain to buy a home with a swimming pool. In that summer heat, it's a MUST.

Good luck!

Mr. Flopnuts
02-27-2010, 02:28 PM
What Dane said + air conditioning. Although most homes come with it standard there.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-27-2010, 02:29 PM
What Dane said + air conditioning. Although most homes come with it standard there.

LMAO Which is probably pretty obvious for anyone NOT living in Seattle. :)

Stewie
02-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Personally, I'd jump at the chance.

The housing market is way down right now, so you can get an amazing place for an extremely affordable price. The market WILL come back, it's just a matter of time. You'll like gain $50-100k in equity over the next 5-7 years.

Scottsdale is awesome. Also, as others have mentioned, you're an hour flight from LA, San Diego & Vegas. For the kids, it would be incredible. Even by car, it's only about 5.5 hours to LA or SD, meaning you could go to Sea World, DisneyLand, Universal, etc. on a Friday evening and spend all day Saturday at those parks.

There are just so many opportunities to have fun and enjoy life, especially in the winter months.

Just be absolutely certain to buy a home with a swimming pool. In that summer heat, it's a MUST.

Good luck!

Have you been there lately? The housing market is going to come back in 5-7 years? There are so many people/banks hoping to dump their houses now it's incredible. That's not to mention the 1000s of new subdivisions in the valley that sit idle for lack of buyers. The over-supply of housing is insane. You won't make $50k on a house in five years, no fucking way. I can drive down Power Road in Mesa and show you 1000s of new homes that sit idle within 2 miles east or west. They aren't finished and there's no hope for anyone to buy them.

WilliamTheIrish
02-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I have to agree w/Stewie here. It's a buyers market all the way. Five years is a long time but it will take a long time to shake out in that housing market.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Have you been there lately? The housing market is going to come back in 5-7 years? There are so many people/banks hoping to dump their houses now it's incredible. That's not to mention the 1000s of new subdivisions in the valley that sit idle for lack of buyers. The over-supply of housing is insane. You won't make $50k on a house in five years, no fucking way. I can drive down Power Road in Mesa and show you 1000s of new homes that sit idle within 2 miles east or west. They aren't finished and there's no hope for anyone to buy them.

Well, that's contrary to the information that I've received.

You're making it sound like Vegas, which is far from the case.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Have you been there lately? The housing market is going to come back in 5-7 years? There are so many people/banks hoping to dump their houses now it's incredible. That's not to mention the 1000s of new subdivisions in the valley that sit idle for lack of buyers. The over-supply of housing is insane. You won't make $50k on a house in five years, no ****ing way. I can drive down Power Road in Mesa and show you 1000s of new homes that sit idle within 2 miles east or west. They aren't finished and there's no hope for anyone to buy them.I'm looking at ads that say only 3% down for the house. Some kind of buyers incentive of 3.5% to cover closing costs, some kind of HomePath Mortgage and HomePath Renovation Mortgage Financing that looks like no mortgage insurance needed. Looks like a real sweet buyers market.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
I have to agree w/Stewie here. It's a buyers market all the way. Five years is a long time but it will take a long time to shake out in that housing market.

Right. I've been told by people I trust that it'll take between 5-7 years for the market to come back.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the housing market in 2017 is exactly the same as today.

Regardless, it's definitely a buyer's market and BRC could do very, very well with a home purchase at this time.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Right. I've been told by people I trust that it'll take between 5-7 years for the market to come back.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the housing market in 2017 is exactly the same as today.

Regardless, it's definitely a buyer's market and BRC could do very, very well with a home purchase at this time.And my house here in Lees Summit has kept its value the last couple of years too.:thumb:

Also thinking about California but $250-$300K doesn't get us much of a house out there.

Stewie
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
And my house here in Lees Summit has kept its value the last couple of years too.:thumb:

Banks here didn't loan $250K if you made $50K/year. That was the problem in the "booming" areas in '07. It was false wealth base on "credit."

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2010, 02:59 PM
And my house here in Lees Summit has kept its value the last couple of years too.:thumb:

Also thinking about California but $250-$300K doesn't get us much of a house out there.

Yeah, the midwest wasn't really hit because the homes there weren't tremendously over-valued.

There were many homes here in the sub-$1 million dollar market that crashed big time. Homes that should have been selling for $500k that were going for $1 million or more. After the crash, those homes are back down around $500k but the owners are stuck with huge mortgages.

It's far worse in Vegas. Homes that should have been valued at $250-300k were going for well over a million. Those homes are back down to their "natural" pricing but empty. One in 20 homes is in foreclosure in Vegas.

Too bad it's a lame place to live.

Stewie
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah, the midwest wasn't really hit because the homes there weren't tremendously over-valued.

There were many homes here in the sub-$1 million dollar market that crashed big time. Homes that should have been selling for $500k that were going for $1 million or more. After the crash, those homes are back down around $500k but the owners are stuck with huge mortgages.

It's far worse in Vegas. Homes that should have been valued at $250-300k were going for well over a million. Those homes are back down to their "natural" pricing but empty. One in 20 homes is in foreclosure in Vegas.

It's one in four nationwide.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 03:02 PM

What kind of house does $300K get you out in southern Cali since the housing crash?

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 03:03 PM
It's one in four nationwide.jeeezz, no chit?

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Me too. I'd live in Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson in a heartbeat, not the valley.

I'd say get your elevation between 2900 and 3500ft year-round, and you'll be living in kick-ass weather for this state.
I left the White Mountains in October, and I haven't worn long pants in over a year now. WOOT!

Payson and Sedona? Yes. Flag? Fuck no. It's cold as fuck there in the winter, and I HATE snow.

Stewie
02-27-2010, 03:10 PM
jeeezz, no chit?

The stats don't lie and 25% of homeowners can't make their monthly payment.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I'd say get your elevation between 2900 and 3500ft year-round, and you'll be living in kick-ass weather for this state.
I left the White Mountains in October, and I haven't worn long pants in over a year now. WOOT!

Payson and Sedona? Yes. Flag? **** no. It's cold as **** there in the winter, and I HATE snow.So, if I go to Phoenix where's the best place? Which suburbia is better than others?

Stewie
02-27-2010, 03:32 PM
So, if I go to Phoenix where's the best place? Which suburbia is better than others?

Scottsdale if you have money.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-27-2010, 03:33 PM
So, if I go to Phoenix where's the best place? Which suburbia is better than others?

Anything north of Camelback Road. The north hills going up to Bell Street are pretty nice.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Scottsdale if you have money.

I haven't been to Tempe yet, but Mesa seemed pretty "Bed, Bath, and Beyond".

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
What kind of house does $300K get you out in southern Cali since the housing crash?

Nothing.

You might be able to find a 1,000 square foot loft in Downtown LA for $300k but your HOA's will like be $600 a month.

To get something comparable to your home in Lee's Summit in a nice neighborhood (Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc.), you're still looking a $1 million plus.

In Hancock Park, that home is probably a minimum of $3 million and in Santa Monica and the beach cities, $4 million.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Nothing.

You can move in to Black Flag's old cinder-block loft.LMAO Comes complete with graffiti and historic piss stains at no additional charge.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Nothing.

You might be able to find a 1,000 square foot loft in Downtown LA for $300k but your HOA's will like be $600 a month.

To get something comparable to your home in Lee's Summit in a nice neighborhood (Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc.), you're still looking a $1 million plus.

In Hancock Park, that home is probably a minimum of $3 million and in Santa Monica and the beach cities, $4 million.jeeezz how do working stiffs afford those prices?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
jeeezz how do working stiffs afford those prices?

Either a 2 hour commute, or they move to Watts. :D

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Scottsdale if you have money.Looks like you can get this for $300K and only 3% down in Scotsdale. Foreclosure home. What was something like this selling for back in 2006-2007?
http://search.phoenixhomes.com/detailsarmlsres_109117.cfm?startrow=11&&sqftmin=2251&pricemin=175000&sqftmax=4500&mlsnumber=0&addressnum=no&subdivisionops=no&zipcodes=no&addressname=no&siteagentid=0&area=no&subdivision=no&addresssuffix=no&propertytype=single%20family%20-%20detached&bathrooms=2&addressdir=no&schooldistrict=no&showlistings=0&bedrooms=2&pricemax=300000&features=foreclosure&city=payson,scottsdale,sedona&age=no&list_id=4258484&pageid=109116

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks like you can get this for $300K and only 3% down in Scotsdale. Foreclosure home. What was something like this selling for back in 2006-2007?
http://search.phoenixhomes.com/detailsarmlsres_109117.cfm?startrow=11&&sqftmin=2251&pricemin=175000&sqftmax=4500&mlsnumber=0&addressnum=no&subdivisionops=no&zipcodes=no&addressname=no&siteagentid=0&area=no&subdivision=no&addresssuffix=no&propertytype=single%20family%20-%20detached&bathrooms=2&addressdir=no&schooldistrict=no&showlistings=0&bedrooms=2&pricemax=300000&features=foreclosure&city=payson,scottsdale,sedona&age=no&list_id=4258484&pageid=109116

Yep, that's pretty sweet. I love the southwest houses.

stevieray
02-27-2010, 04:36 PM
never again.

doesn't mean you won't like it..

the weather is hard on your vehicles.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2010, 04:40 PM
jeeezz how do working stiffs afford those prices?

Working stiffs rent. But rent is pretty damn high. There are apartments near my home that go from anywhere from $1,000 for a single up to around $3.5k for a three bedroom, 2 bath.

It's a very difficult city to live in if you're in the middle. It's easy if you don't have any money because normally, you're single and have a lot of friends in the same predicament. Likewise if you're earning good money.

Otherwise, it pretty much sucks ass. All of your money goes out the door for a car payment, rent and such and the rest you either save, save, save or spend it on finer things.

It's an odd place for sure.

Spott
02-27-2010, 06:57 PM
I loved living in Phoenix, although I haven't been there in 15 years. The heat never really seemed that bad and the people there seemed really laid back. If I ever had the opportunity, I wouldn't mind moving back.

Rain Man
02-27-2010, 07:40 PM
i'm not a fan of the city, but that's just my opinion. very sprawling, very brown (not racist, talking about scenery), kind of hot, lots of poisonous critters. there are worse places, though, and any place is good if you make enough money.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2010, 08:15 PM

You're telling us that there are more than 25 million homes are in foreclosure?

That's pure and utter nonsense.

vailpass
02-27-2010, 10:17 PM
A few things:
The housing market here has crashed but cheap is a relative term and depends on where you are buying. 1900 sq.ft. homes in the 85254 were going for 300k, now they ar down to 200k range. Cheaper but still not cheap for a little bitty house. Almost all homes here have no basements;most are slabs. Prices here were so inflated they will never return to what they were at the peak of the paper tiger that was the PHX housing market; although now is a good time to buy as value will rise in good locations.
Mesa, Goodyear, Queen Creek and other outlying areas have big houses for low prices right now. Of course you are looking at a commute from hell unless you also work there.
Bottom line: in PHX choose where you live according to where you work. Traffic here is hell.

Swimming pools are nice but don't think for a minute they cool you off in the summer. In the summer we don't get into our pools here until the sun goes down.

Come visit and make your own decision. If you are used to friendly neighbors and a sense of community that is much harder to find here. Not impossible but much harder. Nobody is from here, there aren't roots. If you are a big-city mentality person this will be no problem for you.

As was mentioned, everything in PHX is brown and that includes the air downtown. Stripmalls are the rule for most of the town. You are ALWAYS in town no matter where you are, there is no unoccupied open space within city limits and city limits extend just shy of infinity. Everything is a crowd, everywhere you go you will be in a line.

Your first July-August here you will want to die.

That is some of the down side.

IMHO the best areas to live are out here in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley and Fountain Hills. What I like may not be what you like though, obviously.

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 10:57 PM
A few things:
The housing market here has crashed but cheap is a relative term and depends on where you are buying. 1900 sq.ft. homes in the 85254 were going for 300k, now they ar down to 200k range. Cheaper but still not cheap for a little bitty house. Almost all homes here have no basements;most are slabs. Prices here were so inflated they will never return to what they were at the peak of the paper tiger that was the PHX housing market; although now is a good time to buy as value will rise in good locations.
Mesa, Goodyear, Queen Creek and other outlying areas have big houses for low prices right now. Of course you are looking at a commute from hell unless you also work there.
Bottom line: in PHX choose where you live according to where you work. Traffic here is hell.

Swimming pools are nice but don't think for a minute they cool you off in the summer. In the summer we don't get into our pools here until the sun goes down.

Come visit and make your own decision. If you are used to friendly neighbors and a sense of community that is much harder to find here. Not impossible but much harder. Nobody is from here, there aren't roots. If you are a big-city mentality person this will be no problem for you.

As was mentioned, everything in PHX is brown and that includes the air downtown. Stripmalls are the rule for most of the town. You are ALWAYS in town no matter where you are, there is no unoccupied open space within city limits and city limits extend just shy of infinity. Everything is a crowd, everywhere you go you will be in a line.

Your first July-August here you will want to die.

That is some of the down side.

IMHO the best areas to live are out here in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley and Fountain Hills. What I like may not be what you like though, obviously.Wow thats some good information. Thanks for taking the time :thumb:

Buehler445
02-28-2010, 01:27 AM
My former boss lived there for 15 years or something. The housing crash they are talking about he mentioned also.

I think if I were you, I would put a LOT of time into scouting the neighborhoods to determine which ones will bounce back and which ones will deteriorate. I think structurally, the city cannot support the amount of suburban housing as was developed. Logically, it makes sense that some would deteriorate. That being said, don't overpay. There appear to be some real bargains out there.

From my understanding, the traffic is dramatically worse than KC. I would put stock into it and maybe even make the drive from a suburban area to your potential job. There may be a nice route for you, or it may suck shit.

In Western Kansas we have dry heat also, and it is dramatically different. I don't know if it sucks any less, it just sucks different. Apparently your body acclimates to it. I had an uncle that did some temp work there and he said the locals would wear long sleeves and jackets at night when it is still 95. My body would NEVER do that, but FWIW.

My former boss also raved about the quality of food there, particularly mexican. I'm certain it does not compare to KC BBQ, but there is damn good mexican food down there, and a variety of other quality establishments.

If I were you I'd definitely negotiate some relocation in your agreement, because it will suck.

Best of luck in your decision dude.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2010, 01:37 AM
I spent a week there and that was enough to convince me I would never live there, I didn't like the landscape at all. No trees, no grass (except on the golf courses)...nothing green anywhere, just dirt and rocks and cactuses, I felt like I was in some kind of friggin' wasteland. I think crime is kinda bad there as well. The weather sure is nice in the wintertime though.Cacti :p

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2010, 01:43 AM
I spent 4 months in Mesa back in '93-'94. I'd love to go back. 70 degrees on New Years Day was great. I actually still have my AZ drivers license. Never surrendered it when I moved back to KC.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2010, 01:47 AM
I've been to both places. I'd take 115 and dry over 95 and humid as fuck any day of the week.Yup. The day I got there it was 95. That was early Oct. It didnt feel like it. Fuck humidity...

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-28-2010, 02:01 AM
Yup. The day I got there it was 95. That was early Oct. It didnt feel like it. Fuck humidity...

Thing is, the shade does help too.

petegz28
02-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Phoenix is great, as long as you don't like green stuff like grass and all that. Everything is very brown and drab. I can only take so much of that. And they have the worst drivers known to man.

BigRedChief
02-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Phoenix is great, as long as you don't like green stuff like grass and all that. Everything is very brown and drab. I can only take so much of that. And they have the worst drivers known to man.Dirt and desert only? that doesn't sound very good.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Phoenix is great, as long as you don't like green stuff like grass and all that. Everything is very brown and drab. I can only take so much of that. And they have the worst drivers known to man.

Go to Charlotte, NC. Everyone thinks they're a fucking NASCAR driver.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Dirt and desert only? that doesn't sound very good.

Yeah, you're not going to get a lot of greenery in that part of the country. I'll tell you though, don't be deterred by some of these comments. Personally, I live in one of the most beautiful areas in the nation and I thought AZ was fine. I found the desert to be gorgeous in its own way.

All that sunshine might kill the trees and the grass, but the pussy flocks to it. :p

What kind of beauty do you really want anyways?

BigRedChief
02-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, you're not going to get a lot of greenery in that part of the country. I'll tell you though, don't be deterred by some of these comments. Personally, I live in one of the most beautiful areas in the nation and I thought AZ was fine. I found the desert to be gorgeous in its own way.

All that sunshine might kill the trees and the grass, but the pussy flocks to it. :p

What kind of beauty do you really want anyways?I lived in the desert by the dead sea in Israel for 6 months one time. I tell everyone how beautiful it was. But, I was visiting, not planning on staying, so I wonder how that changes your outlook?

WilliamTheIrish
02-28-2010, 10:28 AM

What kind of beauty do you really want anyways?

I would love to walk out onto the rocks of my lawn, spray the RoundUp and say: "Honey, the lawn's done... for the next 90 days".

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I lived in the desert by the dead sea in Israel for 6 months one time. I tell everyone how beautiful it was. But, I was visiting, not planning on staying, so I wonder how that changes your outlook?

That's possible. I didn't live in AZ for that long so I can't speak to the long term outlook. I don't know though, I was young when I lived there. If I'd moved there a few years later in life, I think there's a good chance I still live there. I absolutely loved it.

Bugeater
02-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Cacti :p
I know, I hate using that word though. It just doesn't sound right.

I would love to walk out onto the rocks of my lawn, spray the RoundUp and say: "Honey, the lawn's done... for the next 90 days".
Yeah if you're not into lawn care it's definitely the place to be. And it's not like the snow we've had on the ground here for the last 3 months is all that attractive either.

BigRedChief
02-28-2010, 11:12 AM
I know, I hate using that word though. It just doesn't sound right.

Yeah if you're not into lawn care it's definitely the place to be. And it's not like the snow we've had on the ground here for the last 3 months is all that attractive either.No chit. Have to put some ice melt crap on my deck to get out to the smoker. Nothing should come between a man and his smoker.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Suburban 'hoods have plenty of grass on the lawn IF you want it. But it IS a desert valley after all.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
No chit. Have to put some ice melt crap on my deck to get out to the smoker. Nothing should come between a man and his smoker.

365 days of smoking and grilling, no waiting.:thumb:

prhom
02-28-2010, 12:44 PM

I lived in the desert for 6 years growing up and that was one of the best parts. Instead of mowing the lawn as a chore I got to bust out a propane bottle and torch to burn the rocks in the front yard. Needless to say, my parents didn't have to work very hard to get me to do that part of my chores!

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
02-28-2010, 01:45 PM
BRC,

I live here and in the City of Maricopa, which is 20 miles south of Phoenix and pretty new. Arizona has it's pro's and con's just like anywhere in the US or world for that fact. The housing market in the metro Phoenix is in the tank. There are signs from various realtor friends of mine that inventory is starting to burn up but the values are down. I recently came across a 3,300-sq foot home for $140K that was in foreclosure.

Where is the company located? I can help you find some neighborhoods that would be close to the office, offer good value and would be situated in a nice community. Schools (most of them) flat out suck due to the BS educational funding model the state uses. But with your son in Com College, there are some options plus Arizona State is a kick-ass university. And it's still pretty cheap for in-state residents.

I bought a former model home in Maricopa last year made by Meritage Builders. It was 4,500 sq ft on a lake with a dock, fully loaded and we paid $230K fixed at 5% for 30 years. Deals are to be made and to be had.

Tons of great places to eat and mexican food rules the roost here. BBQ is pretty weak, however. The dry air does impact the meat when you cook/smoke. You will have to experiment with that. BBQ Galores, a chain store, sells all kinds of stuff including Gates BBQ sauce, which is nice.

Drivers are asshats, we have photo radar (it could get thwacked if it makes the November ballot), car insurance rates are a little higher out here than in KC, property taxes are a little lower, but you will likely have HOA's (mine are $60/month and I have seen them as high as $100/month).

Pro Sports is decent. Suns will break your heart, Diamondbacks will be scrappy, Cardinals are on a wave and the Coyotes might sneak into the playoffs this year.

Flagstaff is nice to visit but expensive, crowded and a pain in the ass when it snows since everyone in PHX travels up there to play in the white stuff. Tucson is 90 minutes to the south but it's a shithole (sorry, it's the whole ASU-vs-UofA thing) and is often referred to as Nogales North. All kidding aside, Tucson has some beautiful locations (Starr Pass Resort being one of them).

As for grass...if it grows you have to mow it. Rocks don't grow. Remember you are moving to a desert so it wont be green but there are areas of town that are lush with greenery and landscape and mix nicely with the desert.

Politics suck out here as well. We are still trying to clean up after Gov Janet Napolotano's mess.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
02-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Oh and the best place for wings is either Native New Yorker or Long Wong's.

Donger
02-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I won't live anywhere it gets so hot that jet aircraft can't take off.

Donger
02-28-2010, 02:12 PM

I don't think that's accurate. I read that 25% of homeowners are upside-down in their homes (the principal on the mortgage is more than market value of the home), which is bad if you want or need to sell (and honestly just really bad in general), but that isn't foreclosure.

BigRedChief
02-28-2010, 02:47 PM
BRC,

I live here and in the City of Maricopa, which is 20 miles south of Phoenix and pretty new. Arizona has it's pro's and con's just like anywhere in the US or world for that fact. The housing market in the metro Phoenix is in the tank. There are signs from various realtor friends of mine that inventory is starting to burn up but the values are down. I recently came across a 3,300-sq foot home for $140K that was in foreclosure.

Where is the company located? I can help you find some neighborhoods that would be close to the office, offer good value and would be situated in a nice community. Schools (most of them) flat out suck due to the BS educational funding model the state uses. But with your son in Com College, there are some options plus Arizona State is a kick-ass university. And it's still pretty cheap for in-state residents.

I bought a former model home in Maricopa last year made by Meritage Builders. It was 4,500 sq ft on a lake with a dock, fully loaded and we paid $230K fixed at 5% for 30 years. Deals are to be made and to be had.

Tons of great places to eat and mexican food rules the roost here. BBQ is pretty weak, however. The dry air does impact the meat when you cook/smoke. You will have to experiment with that. BBQ Galores, a chain store, sells all kinds of stuff including Gates BBQ sauce, which is nice.

Drivers are asshats, we have photo radar (it could get thwacked if it makes the November ballot), car insurance rates are a little higher out here than in KC, property taxes are a little lower, but you will likely have HOA's (mine are $60/month and I have seen them as high as $100/month).

Pro Sports is decent. Suns will break your heart, Diamondbacks will be scrappy, Cardinals are on a wave and the Coyotes might sneak into the playoffs this year.

Flagstaff is nice to visit but expensive, crowded and a pain in the ass when it snows since everyone in PHX travels up there to play in the white stuff. Tucson is 90 minutes to the south but it's a shithole (sorry, it's the whole ASU-vs-UofA thing) and is often referred to as Nogales North. All kidding aside, Tucson has some beautiful locations (Starr Pass Resort being one of them).

As for grass...if it grows you have to mow it. Rocks don't grow. Remember you are moving to a desert so it wont be green but there are areas of town that are lush with greenery and landscape and mix nicely with the desert.

Politics suck out here as well. We are still trying to clean up after Gov Janet Napolotano's mess.
Thanks for the information and taking the time to type it up. Much appreciated.

Sounds like I'll be buying in at the lowest point of the housing market. Groceries, gas, utilites more/less/same as KC?

Stewie
02-28-2010, 02:48 PM
You're telling us that there are more than 25 million homes are in foreclosure?

That's pure and utter nonsense.

I don't think that's accurate. I read that 25% of homeowners are upside-down in their homes (the principal on the mortgage is more than market value of the home), which is bad if you want or need to sell (and honestly just really bad in general), but that isn't foreclosure.

My bad. It is mortgages under water. This number is expected to rise to the low 30% range in Q2 '10.

BigRedChief
02-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Just found out my wifes freind of 30 years and old college roomate has a sister thats a realtor in Phoenix.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Just found out my wifes freind of 30 years and old college roomate has a sister thats a realtor in Phoenix.

As long as it's not family. No good EVER comes of that hook-up. Go with it!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
By the by, we got about an inch or two of rain last night. Ground drank that water right up.

Puddles do not last long out here.

vailpass
03-02-2010, 01:52 PM
BRC,

There are many good things about living here if you have the right situation. However let's be honest:

1. Arizona State is a kick-ass university? If you mean academically below average with no discernible campus but lots of hot young things walking around then you are correct.

2. Full disclosure: Maricopa is way out in BFE; 40 miles from Scottdale, 35 miles from Phoenix and an hour or more drive from town. It is one of the man-made towns they created before the bubble burst. It is miles of concrete with cookie-cutter houses plopped down block after block after block. The builders and banks are now stuck with thousands of homes in Maricopa, Queen Creek and other way-out-of-town areas and there are deals to be had if that is where you want to live.
In PHX the term "lake" is defined as "man-made hole scooped out of the hardpan and filled with water; usually chemically treated on a regular basis. Not safe for swimming."

3. Arizona is going broke. Phoenix is laying off 520 city workers, closing parks, DMV locations, city programs, and much more. Public schooling in PHX consistently ranks among the lowest in the nation, as does state money spent per student.

4.Cave Creek, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley are the most stable properties with the most convenient locations. Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe have some ok spots.

5. In Phoenix proper the buildings, ground, plants and air are all brown.

tooge
03-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Too hot 4 months out of the year for me. However, just think, you can still be BRC. BIGREDCARDINAL.

Katipan
03-02-2010, 02:27 PM

:drool:

Damn you...

DAMN YOU

P.S. Only people that go to Native NY are people that sing karaoke. You know... THOSE people. The drunks, degenerates and rock stars hit Long Wongs.

Katipan
03-02-2010, 02:29 PM
The heat is not a factor. Really. You go from air conditioned home to air conditioned car to air conditioned work. Wash rinse repeat. Ok so it's a factor if you don't have air conditioning. But really. If I was to pick reasons not to go home, it wouldn't be the heat. Crime and easy drugs maybe ;) Ultimately I couldn't drop my kids off at a bus stop in Phoenix...

But I think the rest of us living in meat lockers for 5-6 months of the year are ****ing sick.

BigRedChief
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
There are many good things about living here if you have the right situation. However let's be honest:

1. Arizona State is a kick-ass university? If you mean academically below average with no discernible campus but lots of hot young things walking around then you are correct.

2. Full disclosure: Maricopa is way out in BFE; 40 miles from Scottdale, 35 miles from Phoenix and an hour or more drive from town. It is one of the man-made towns they created before the bubble burst. It is miles of concrete with cookie-cutter houses plopped down block after block after block. The builders and banks are now stuck with thousands of homes in Maricopa, Queen Creek and other way-out-of-town areas and there are deals to be had if that is where you want to live.
In PHX the term "lake" is defined as "man-made hole scooped out of the hardpan and filled with water; usually chemically treated on a regular basis. Not safe for swimming."

3. Arizona is going broke. Phoenix is laying off policemen, firefighters, closing parks, DMV locations, city programs, and much more. Public schooling in PHX consistently ranks among the lowest in the nation, as does state money spent per student.

4.Cave Creek, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley are the most stable properties with the most convenient locations. Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe have some ok spots.

5. In Phoenix proper the buildings, ground, plants and air are all brown.
Wow :eek: Thanks for taking the time to give me a different prespective and some additional information. :clap:

BigRedChief
03-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Too hot 4 months out of the year for me. However, just think, you can still be BRC. BIGREDCARDINAL.Sadly, myself and the Cheifs are forever linked. :shrug:

KC Dan
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
BRC,
I have an office in Chandler and am down there frequently. If you move there, at least I would be able to talk smack to your face vs. this damn board! :D

BigRedChief
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
BRC,
I have an office in Chandler and am down there frequently. If you move there, at least I would be able to talk smack to your face vs. this damn board! :DMoving there increases my chances of getting punched in the nose?

teedubya
03-03-2010, 01:09 PM
If BRC goes to Phoenix... I'd guarantee that he loses a lot of weight, quickly, due to the heat...

Could be a wise move.

Jilly
03-03-2010, 01:42 PM
The heat is not a factor. Really. You go from air conditioned home to air conditioned car to air conditioned work. Wash rinse repeat. Ok so it's a factor if you don't have air conditioning. But really. If I was to pick reasons not to go home, it wouldn't be the heat. Crime and easy drugs maybe ;) Ultimately I couldn't drop my kids off at a bus stop in Phoenix...

But I think the rest of us living in meat lockers for 5-6 months of the year are ****ing sick.

so the crime is really bad? In outlying areas as well? And how bad is the heat, really? Be honest with me. I'm a midwest girl.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Arizona is hella expensive. At least in Flagstaff. KC is cheap compared to anywhere here. My fiancee' and I live in Flagstaff and it's absurd. We plan on moving to Colorado after she graduates from nursing school, I have a good job here now that pays pretty sweet but we wanna be in the middle so it's close to both of our families (she's from here, when we went back for vacation she couldn't believe how cheaper it was compared). So when she graduates we are moving to Colorado. It's not cheap there at all, but we'll be able to afford it with our work.

FWIW, Before I moved out here I have never seen and met so many indians in my life, coming from Missouri. Just like whites and blacks, some are rude, some aren't. I'm so used to just whites and blacks it's a culture shock lol. I never came in contact with people with last names such as (I promise, I'm not kidding)...

Cowboy
Greymountain
Longacre
Manygoats

And that's just a few lol. Where I'm from, I'm not used to it. It's kind of uncomfortable. I'm used to last names like Smith, Sampson or whatever. I don't like calling people by their first name if I don't know them but I have called them by their first name or sir or ma'am if I know they have a weird last name. I don't want them to think I'm mocking them lol.

But yeah, Arizona is weird.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Alamo Mart. 24 wings for $9.99, 50 wings for $19.99, BEEYATCH!:D

Their pizza is awesome and cheap too.

BigRedChief
03-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Alamo Mart. 24 wings for $9.99, 50 wings for $19.99, BEEYATCH!:D

Their pizza is awesome and cheap too.Alamo Mart? with a name like that, they had better have some damn fine wings.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Alamo Mart? with a name like that, they had better have some damn fine wings.

They are. Alamo Mart is the ultimate, old-school corner store.

Katipan
03-04-2010, 07:57 PM
so the crime is really bad? In outlying areas as well? And how bad is the heat, really? Be honest with me. I'm a midwest girl.

I'm a Los Angeles girl so the crime was rather negligible to me as an adult. Far more car theft with the proximity of Mexico. I mean, it's a mini L.A. But there are certainly way scarier places to live and if you go west, I've always felt safe around the Air Force Base.

The scary part for me was raising kids that weren't older enough to fend for themselves. I was 7 the first time a guy in a car asked me if I wanted a ride. I squeeked out a "fuck you" and ran to school. I grew up taking public busses to school or walking a couple miles. I just can't assume my darlings will be as hardy as I was. I don't think I'd want them to be.

But you'd love Sedona. You've love love the people and the surroundings. Prescott has a hippie college. Flagstaff is for rich people. But all in all nothing bad happens to you in those places. Except snow.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
My fiancee' and I wanna live in Phoenix now for a couple years. We currently live in Flagstaff which is the most expensive place to live besides California. My place of work is also in Phoenix and I want to transfer down there, and she wants to finish her schooling down there at ASU. It would be so much cheaper. We tried to put up with Flagstaff, but we wanna get out as soon as possible now that everything is going up here. It's already expensive as I mentioned, but it's going up even more now. We want out as soon as possible. We want to live in Glendale. Then after she graduates, we'll look elsewhere and at other opportunities in the US. Hopefully move back to Kansas City. It's exciting actually.