PDA

View Full Version : Mayock gives his team views..prepare to get pissed off

Mecca
02-27-2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d81692755&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Kansas City: Value at No. 5

The two defensive tackles are the best players in the draft: Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh. Bryant, to me, is a top-5 player. And I think, depending on your flavor, two of the offensive tackles are both worthy of a top-5 pick.

Tackles Russell Okung of Oklahoma State and Bulaga from Iowa would be the two guys at the top of my list for the Chiefs. And I happen to like Haden, the corner from Florida. I believe that ultimately the best value for Kansas City is probably going to be one of the tackles.

And if you think about it, Scott Pioli, the GM for the Chiefs, is a good friend and admirer of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. He loves the type of technician that Kirk develops with offensive linemen. So it wouldn't surprise me if Bulaga went as early as No. 5 to Kansas City.

milkman
02-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Why am I going to get pissed off about something that Mayock says about a team that he probably hasn't watched?

The Franchise
02-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Mayock has Berry at #12 in his top 20 right now.

Mayock is a fucking tool

Mecca
02-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Mayock has Berry at #12 in his top 20 right now.

Mayock is a fucking tool

He doesn't even have Berry as his top safety, he gave that to Earl Thomas.

RealSNR
02-28-2010, 12:25 AM
This isn't saying much, but Mel Kiper > Mike Mayock

Sully
02-28-2010, 10:17 AM
This isn't saying much, but Mel Kiper > Mike Mayock

Hell... For that matter saccojohnny is marginally better than Mayock.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-28-2010, 10:19 AM
The bullshit of this is that last year, everyone was tripping all over themselves to wash his balls.

KCUnited
02-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I can't get pissed about something that's been obvious since our starting QB didn't make it out of training camp without an injury. It was obvious then that we would be in the top 5 and that we would take an OT.

All these mock drafts are like the Sears catalog you got when you were a kid and you sat with your buddy going through each page and picking out the thing you'd want most, when in the back of your mind you knew you were getting socks and a pink bunny suit.

milkman
02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I can't get pissed about something that's been obvious since our starting QB didn't make it out of training camp without an injury. It was obvious then that we would be in the top 5 and that we would take an OT.

All these mock drafts are like the Sears catalog you got when you were a kid and you sat with your buddy going through each page and picking out the thing you'd want most, when in the back of your mind you knew you were getting socks and a pink bunny suit.

So an interior D-Lineman beating Niswanger and Goff to get to Cassel and injure him in preseason immediately screamed to you that we need a LT?

KCUnited
02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
So an interior D-Lineman beating Niswanger and Goff to get to Cassel and injure him in preseason immediately screamed to you that we need a LT?
It didn't scream to me that we need a LT, it screamed to me that our boss will interperet that as us needing a LT and take one with the top 5 pick we are destined to occupy. What I personally think we need is irrelevant.

milkman
02-28-2010, 10:37 AM
It didn't scream to me that we need a LT, it screamed to me that our boss will interperet that as us needing a LT and take one with the top 5 pick we are destined to occupy. What I personally think we need is irrelevant.

Oh, ok, so you think "our boss" is a real dumbass that sees the interior line, at center and opposite center, getting beat and blaming it on the LT.

Gotcha.

KCUnited
02-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Oh, ok, so you think "our boss" is a real dumbass that sees the interior line, at center and opposite center, getting beat and blaming it on the LT.

Gotcha.
He certainly kept rolling with them. I'm not sure who he blamed, but the combination of his boy not making it out of camp due to shitty line play, less shitty, but still shitty play as the year went on, us having a top 5 pick, and an OT grading out as value at that pick, I can read that writing on the wall.

milkman
02-28-2010, 10:49 AM
He certainly kept rolling with them. I'm not sure who he blamed, but the combination of his boy not making it out of camp due to shitty line play, less shitty, but still shitty play as the year went on, us having a top 5 pick, and an OT grading out as value at that pick, I can read that writing on the wall.

I get that Albert struggled, and that there are many that think the best approach to repairing the O-Line is to start by replacing Albert.

I get it, but I don't agree with it.

I am, however, trying to wrap my mind around the concept that the center/RG failure somehow translates to LT needs to be replaced.

Fact is, I'm simply trying to point out how your post about Cassel's injury has no bearing on the subject of LT.

Coogs
02-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Something that has been talked about on here before has now come out of Haley's mouth as well...

Combine buzz | Haley mum on Albert’s role
awks Coach Todd Haley wouldn’t be pinned down about Branden Albert’s future, other than to say it’s as a starter with the Chiefs.

His comments didn’t shoot down speculation the Chiefs would find a new left tackle and move Albert to either guard, where he played in college, or right tackle.

“The good thing about Branden is he’s got some versatility,” Haley said at the annual scouting combine. “He played a tough position. There were enough encouraging signs from Branden even though it was an up-and-down year … that he can play the toughest position there. But we’ll do whatever we have to to get better.

“Across the board on the offensive line, we have some really versatile guys, which is a plus. Brian Waters could play at a high level at center and if in a pinch we had to play him at left tackle, he’d probably be able to hold his own.”

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/02/27/1778313_combine-buzz-haley-mum-on-alberts.html?storylink=omni_popular

KCUnited
02-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I am, however, trying to wrap my mind around the concept that the center/RG failure somehow translates to LT needs to be replaced.

Fact is, I'm simply trying to point out how your post about Cassel's injury has no bearing on the subject of LT.
If Pioli feels that the C position could be rectafied by moving Waters, and the G position rectafied by moving his current LT to G, and then drafting a LT, it does. I know Goff was a RG and Albert played LG in school. Replaying the down concludes that it was the C and G that broke down and led to the injury. Broadbrushing it as shitty line play is more likely when you're a value driven GM sitting at 5 with your QB already hand selected by yourself.

OnTheWarpath15
02-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Something that has been talked about on here before has now come out of Haley's mouth as well...

Combine buzz | Haley mum on Albert’s role
awks Coach Todd Haley wouldn’t be pinned down about Branden Albert’s future, other than to say it’s as a starter with the Chiefs.

His comments didn’t shoot down speculation the Chiefs would find a new left tackle and move Albert to either guard, where he played in college, or right tackle.

“The good thing about Branden is he’s got some versatility,” Haley said at the annual scouting combine. “He played a tough position. There were enough encouraging signs from Branden even though it was an up-and-down year … that he can play the toughest position there. But we’ll do whatever we have to to get better.

“Across the board on the offensive line, we have some really versatile guys, which is a plus. Brian Waters could play at a high level at center and if in a pinch we had to play him at left tackle, he’d probably be able to hold his own.”

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/02/27/1778313_combine-buzz-haley-mum-on-alberts.html?storylink=omni_popular

:facepalm:

Brian Waters didn't play at a high level at the position he's been playing for a decade - but Haley thinks he can play center or - holy fuck - LEFT TACKLE at a high level?

Saul Good
02-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Brian Waters didn't play at a high level at the position he's been playing for a decade -

Come again?

OnTheWarpath15
02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Come again?

Brian Waters didn't play LG at a high level last year, yet Haley thinks he can play center or LT at a high level?

Waters skills have declined quite a bit over the past two years. He's an average to slightly above average guard at this point in his career.

If his play is representative of a "high level" Haley is expecting from players, then he's not expecting much, IMO.

SAUTO
02-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Brian Waters didn't play LG at a high level last year, yet Haley thinks he can play center or LT at a high level?

Waters skills have declined quite a bit over the past two years. He's an average to slightly above average guard at this point in his career.

If his play is representative of a "high level" Haley is expecting from players, then he's not expecting much, IMO.

actually the quote says he thinks waters could HOLD HIS OWN IN A PINCH AT LT, nothing about a high level.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
02-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Mayock is like the hackiest of the hacks. And that's saying something.

DaneMcCloud
02-28-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm beginning to think that no currently employed by the Chiefs knows a fucking thing about offensive lineman.

philfree
03-01-2010, 07:43 AM

Brian Waters didn't play at a high level at the position he's been playing for a decade - but Haley thinks he can play center or - holy **** - LEFT TACKLE at a high level?

You high lighted it and then you missed quoted it. LOL:doh!:

PhilFree:arrow:

BigCatDaddy
03-01-2010, 07:57 AM
It just sounds like he doesn't want to tip his hand to me.

Chiefnj2
03-01-2010, 12:34 PM

Ha, ha. Suddenly the guy Haley didn't want to take the time to talk to in the offseason is so good he can line up anywhere and be an improvement.

milkman
03-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Ha, ha. Suddenly the guy Haley didn't want to take the time to talk to in the offseason is so good he can line up anywhere and be an improvement.

What?

Where the hell does he say he'd be an improvement?

Danman
03-02-2010, 08:44 AM
I remember THE GAME Brian Waters played center. We had like four fumbles between QB/C and we all thought he was a bum.