PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs NFL combine buzz: Former MU player Weatherspoon an early-round prospec

Tribal Warfare
03-02-2010, 12:41 AM
NFL combine buzz: Former MU player Weatherspoon an early-round prospect (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/02/28/1780116/nfl-combine-buzz-former-mu-player.html)

Former Tiger a good prospect

NFL teams at the scouting combine are taking a close look at Missouri’s Sean Weatherspoon, who projects as an inside linebacker if he’s drafted by a team playing the 3-4 defense, like the Chiefs.

Weatherspoon, at 239 pounds, isn’t big enough to be an outside linebacker, but he was a productive player at Missouri, finishing his career with more than 400 tackles. That’s a feat he said he takes much pride in.

“Especially the fact that I didn’t start for (all) four years,” Weatherspoon said. “That just gives me a little bit more pride. At Mizzou, we try to get to the football. The linebackers, it’s a big competition who can get the most tackles, who can make the most plays. We had a good time fighting for that right.”

The Chiefs had Corey Mays and Demorrio Williams starting at inside linebacker last year. While Weatherspoon isn’t worthy of their first-round pick, fifth overall, he could still be available when they pick again early in the second round.

“Last year, he definitely would have been a first-round pick,” said analyst Shawn Zobel, who runs a draft Web site at www.draftheadquarters.com.

“This year, I think he’ll go early in the second round or maybe even in the middle of the second round. He’s definitely a talented player, but there’s so much talent at other positions that even though he has first-round talent, I think some team in the second round is going to get a steal.”

Cable supports proposed change

Oakland coach Tom Cable has an extensive collegiate coaching history, including four years as the head coach at Idaho. He wouldn’t mind seeing the NFL change its overtime rules to something resembling what’s found in the college game.

NFL owners will debate a proposal to change the overtime format for playoff games only. Under the proposed format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown. If the first team to get the ball kicks a field goal and the second team matches it, the game becomes sudden death at that point.

“I think that’s kind of a real dynamic way to play into overtime, with both teams getting a fair shot at it,” Cable said. “You’re put in a very stressed environment in terms of a short field and all those things and you have to play off each other and answer whatever the other team did. I think that brings more strategy into this whole thing.”

KCrockaholic
03-02-2010, 12:47 AM
2nd round for Weatherspoon? Sign me up! It aint happenin though....

BWillie
03-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Midget linebacker

KCrockaholic
03-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Spoon and DJ in the middle with Williams as a back-up would be pretty sweet.

Blick
03-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Yeah there's no fucking way he makes it to the 2nd round.

Would a guy like Jamar Chaney be worth taking in the 2nd round? He had a really good 40 and vertical and he's almost the same size as Weatherspoon...nowhere near the production though.

KCrockaholic
03-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Yeah there's no ****ing way he makes it to the 2nd round.

Would a guy like Jamar Chaney be worth taking in the 2nd round? He had a really good 40 and vertical and he's almost the same size as Weatherspoon...nowhere near the production though.

Depends on who is on the board. But probably not.

Mecca
03-02-2010, 01:05 AM
He ain't going in the 2nd, Weatherspoon is probably somewhere in the 19-30 range.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-02-2010, 01:13 AM
and here I thought he was in the 19-33 range

KChiefs1
03-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Spoon will be a 1st round pick.