PDA

View Full Version : Football Manning contract article, is this getting out of hand?

Consistent1
03-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Given that many here think he is a choker, how much is too much to pay this guy? Like the article says, guys like Brady and Brees will be watching. Where should the line be drawn $$$ wise when it has an impact on things like fans being able to afford tickets, merchandise, etc?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-peytoncontract030110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Mecca
03-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Uh dude, Manning is the franchise, it's pretty obvious he's going to get a contract that makes him the highest paid player in the league.

Consistent1
03-02-2010, 05:19 AM
I understand that, but how much money is too much? It would be crazy to think that he already isn't making a freaking ton. If they do go back to the cap situation, it has an impact on that. Obama approved financing. Are Brady and Brees worth even more? Where does it stop?

Mile High Mania
03-02-2010, 07:00 AM
I understand that, but how much money is too much? It would be crazy to think that he already isn't making a freaking ton. If they do go back to the cap situation, it has an impact on that. Obama approved financing. Are Brady and Brees worth even more? Where does it stop?

Obama? Barring a hard cap per position, the sky's the limit... fans support the behavior by spending their $ in support of the teams.

And, this is America... who are we to say how much is enough for anyone to earn.

WhitiE
03-02-2010, 07:13 AM
i think manning should be the highest paid player in the league.....

Bane
03-02-2010, 07:18 AM
When they're paying guys like JaPorkchop millions for sitting on the bench,I could care less about what they're paying the guys that are actually leading their teams to the SB and actually making an actual argument for their salary.

wild1
03-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Yeah, what a choker :rolleyes:

-King-
03-02-2010, 07:42 AM
When they're paying guys like JaPorkchop millions for sitting on the bench,I could care less about what they're paying the guys that are actually leading their teams to the SB and actually making an actual argument for their salary.
Yup he's earned it. By far the best qb in the game now(even thouh for some reason i'd take brees over him). No reason for manning to not get the biggest contract ever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Consistent1
03-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Shouldn't have even posted this I guess. Of course he should be paid highly. For real, but I think all things considered it is more easy to justify a douche like A-Rod due to number of games, very attractive spring training spots to attract fan vacations, etc. Playoff games and World series. Pujols might as well get like 40 mil right now.

kaplin42
03-02-2010, 09:28 AM

Tarditus sports it's down syndromed little head again.

Lex Luthor
03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
I understand that, but how much money is too much?
If it is more money than the market will bear, it's too much. If the Colts are willing to pay it, then what's the problem?

CoMoChief
03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Whatever Manning gets......Obama's taking half of it.

MoreLemonPledge
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how something like this gets turned into a political conversation...

no love
03-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Whatever Manning gets......Obama's taking half of it.

and putting it right in his pocket. $20mill for the president. that's a nice raise for the guy. But it in all seriousness, it makes me kind of happy to know that half Peytons big ass contract will be put to good use; fixing potholes, educating children, cops on the street, war, all the things that make us great.

bowener
03-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Uh dude, Manning is the franchise, it's pretty obvious he's going to get a contract that makes him the highest paid player in the league.

They should just give him 30% ownership of the team and call it even. His pay will be proportionally tied to how well the team does. Sort of.

The_Doctor10
03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Given that many here think he is a choker, how much is too much to pay this guy? Like the article says, guys like Brady and Brees will be watching. Where should the line be drawn $$$ wise when it has an impact on things like fans being able to afford tickets, merchandise, etc?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-peytoncontract030110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Has the opinion of 'many here' ever been taken seriously for a microsecond by anyone running a successful NFL franchise?

KCrockaholic
03-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I said he would be getting a contract around 140 Mil total once the news broke that he would be getting a new contract. I'll be surprised if he gets less than 23 Mil a year.

38yrsfan
03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Has the opinion of 'many here' ever been taken seriously for a microsecond by anyone running a successful NFL franchise?

You mean this really is a waste of time like my wife claims????

The Franchise
03-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Manning is the one guy in the league that actually earns his fucking money. Pay the man.

Consistent1
03-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Like I said, this may have been an ill advised thread. There are some "dickish" responses here. The Obama part was because there will be a cap at some point. Chiefs fans should want that, right? If they pay him say $30 mil like the article mentions as an outside possibility, it is fake money like Obama talks about. And yes I know it talked about restructuring. Plus, when is enough....just enough? Time to spread it out more to other guys who may happen to get injured more often than Manning, etc.? Hell, just pay Manning $70 mil and use the "22 off the street" attitude to fill the rest of the roster. Is he THAT fucking good? People on this site bitch about Hunt spending money, tickets being too high to buy this year and all that. Not every team can win all their games, but the tickets and beer still won't be overly cheap. A thread bitching about Jerry Jones or Snyder would get more positive responses. It also occurs to me that maybe too many people on websites don't actually spend much on attendance and all that. Mock drafts and knowing so much more than everybody else is more likely. The economy is rough for most and you can't tell me Manning's contract does not get passed on to fans. I have always thought that athletes, actors should get as much as they could. Then again, I go to ZERO movies at regular price.

Consistent1
03-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Let's not forget that this news comes from a team that folded it up late in the year and stole money from fans anyway on top of the preseason games. They got what they deserved and that WAS NOT Manning's fault but I would be thinking of that before buying tickets as a Colt's fan.

Norman Einstein
03-03-2010, 06:12 AM
If the players are getting the big bucks the fans are going to pay for their portion of it with increased prices at the gates.

Joe Fan most likely won't be going to the games as often as in the past.