PDA

View Full Version : Computers Juniper Firewalls...

penguinz
03-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Anyone here a juniper 'expert'?

BigRedChief
03-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Whats the issue?

penguinz
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
I am looking at getting a Juniper and want to make sure the one that was suggested would handle what I need it to.

The tech suggested an SSG140 with the 512MB RAM and Deep inspection. This would go in front of and handle the traffic for about 150 websites.

thecoffeeguy
03-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I am looking at getting a Juniper and want to make sure the one that was suggested would handle what I need it to.

The tech suggested an SSG140 with the 512MB RAM and Deep inspection. This would go in front of and handle the traffic for about 150 websites.

whats your incoming connection? what type of routers sits in front?

Garcia Bronco
03-02-2010, 09:28 AM

Your rep should be able to answer that question. Or get a demo and put it in line and try it for a few days. You should never spend that kind of money without seeing it in action in your production environment.

thecoffeeguy
03-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Anyone here a juniper 'expert'?

also, are you sold on juniper, or open to other firewall products?

Garcia Bronco
03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
also, are you sold on juniper, or open to other firewall products?

We use Nokia IP series with checkpoint....it works well, but we are moving to juniper.

thecoffeeguy
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
We use Nokia IP series with checkpoint....it works well, but we are moving to juniper.

Cool.
We are evaluating the Palo Alto networks firewalls. Look very interesting.

Juniper is very nice though. We use some of their products.

penguinz
03-02-2010, 09:50 AM
whats your incoming connection? what type of routers sits in front?We have two pipes. Once capped at 30Mbps and the other burstable to 100Mbps.

The routers are 3com 5000 series.

HC_Chief
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
The experience I have with them is their midline series will not aggregate properly... this leads to limited throughput. The Juniper engineers wre baffled; looks like you need to dig deep to get the same functionality as the Ciscos that were replaced. :-/

penguinz
03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I do not handle the aggregation of the two pipes at the firewall. I have two WAN optimizers in front of it.

BigRedChief
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
The experience I have with them is their midline series will not aggregate properly... this leads to limited throughput. The Juniper engineers wre baffled; looks like you need to dig deep to get the same functionality as the Ciscos that were replaced. :-/
wellll the newer checkpoints may be better if they are configured correctly to hold stateless sessions but the older ones were not up to speed in my opinion. I much prefer Juniper to Checkpoint these days.