PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Do you text while you are driving?

Norman Einstein
03-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I saw some disturbing pictures today of a guy that was texting while he was driving. He was driving a small car, I couldn't identify the make due to the damage, and had a head on with a semi.

Poll to follow.

Link courtesy of Lzen (thanks for throwing it up, the last few make me want to throw up!)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

Hammock Parties
03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I try not to do anything but drive while I'm driving. At most I'll fiddle with the radio. If someone texts I'll look at it, but unless it's urgent I don't send more than a very brief reply.

HotRoute
03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I saw some disturbing pictures today of a guy that was texting while he was driving. He was driving a small car, I couldn't identify the make due to the damage, and had a head on with a semi.

Poll to follow.

people drove head on into semis before there were cell phones, some ppl just dont pay attention while they are driving at all cell phone or not

Lzen
03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
You mean this?

WARNING, VERY NSFW and VERY GRAPHIC!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ronaldarichardson.com/wp-content/uploads/lib/1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ronaldarichardson.com/2008/02/04/an-email-i-recieved-no-more-texting-while-driving/&usg=__xC6C5ZISrLR6ELo_WGJ6v7JmxS4=&h=450&w=600&sz=71&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=vw80qFqfF5THrM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtexting%2Bwhile%2Bdriving%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1

Lzen
03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
people drove head on into semis before there were cell phones, some ppl just dont pay attention while they are driving at all cell phone or not

I would be that there are a lot more cell phone related accidents today.

KCChiefsMan
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I like polls where I can ask the question right back at you

HotRoute
I would be that there are a lot more cell phone related accidents today.

ppl probably said the same crap way back when they started putting tape decks into cars, "always fidgeting with those cassetes and what not." Truth is ppl need to keep their attention on whats in front of them and they should be good

Bugeater
Using your phone at all while driving is stupid and dangerous. I swear to god it's only a matter of time before I end up in a road rage incident over one of you fuckers who can't put your goddamn phone down while you're driving, you have no fucking right to endanger everyone else's lives for your stupid phone call.

KCChiefsMan
03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I have before. But I'm a better driver than 99.999999999% of drivers in this country.

Silock
03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Yes, but only at red lights.

Lzen
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Using your phone at all while driving is stupid and dangerous. I swear to god it's only a matter of time before I end up in a road rage incident over one of you fuckers who can't put your goddamn phone down while you're driving, you have no fucking right to endanger everyone else's lives for your stupid phone call.

I'm with you on this - to a certain extent. I don't want a ban on calls. I use my cell while driving occasionally. I do try to not talk while I'm driving and if I do have to take/make a call, I limit the time. Texting is much worse and takes much more concentration on the phone. I agree with a ban on this.

Lzen
03-02-2010, 07:45 PM
http://weblogs.wxmi.com/news/traffic/dirty-windshield/Graphic-States-with-laws-banning-texting-while-driving.jpg

RJ
03-02-2010, 07:46 PM
It would never even occur to me to try to text while driving. It takes me about 30 seconds per word in the best of circumstances. I'm not a fan.

My wife's young cousin died in an accident and almost killed his girlfriend as well. He was texting while driving on I-25. He drifted over to the shoulder, then jerked the wheel in an attempt to correct and rolled his vehicle. I think he was 20 or 21. His mother is still devastated two years later and always will be I'm sure. Stupid stuff.

RJ
03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
I have before. But I'm a better driver than 99.999999999% of drivers in this country.

100% of drivers would describe themselves that way.

RJ
03-02-2010, 07:49 PM
ppl probably said the same crap way back when they started putting tape decks into cars, "always fidgeting with those cassetes and what not." Truth is ppl need to keep their attention on whats in front of them and they should be good

No, nobody said that.

Lzen
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM

I don't care what you think people may have said in the past. Texting while driving is obviously a danger to the public in general and the penalties need to be stiff.

stevieray
03-02-2010, 07:57 PM
no desire. never understood how a phone call became so important while driving, other than in an emergency.

Norman Einstein
03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
You mean this?

Yep, those are the ones I saw.

I've passed people of all ages texting.
Not paying attention to the road is not new as noted before, but I would say that texting is one of the most deadly types of inattentive driving.

Bugeater
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm with you on this - to a certain extent. I don't want a ban on calls. I use my cell while driving occasionally. I do try to not talk while I'm driving and if I do have to take/make a call, I limit the time. Texting is much worse and takes much more concentration on the phone. I agree with a ban on this.
No, the phone calls need to go, every single damn time I'm behind someone driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit and swerving back in forth in their lane they've got a phone to their ear, the shit is getting out of control.

And to those of you who think you drive good when you're on the phone, trust me, you don't. You're just too wrapped up your phone call to realize you're driving like a jackass.

Norman Einstein
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM

So was the guy in the little car in the pics Lzen put the link to.

tyler360
03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I try to do it as little as possible. I will usually just call if it is that important. Texting is having ur eyes completely off the road and amazingly dangerous. I really think it should be banned everywhere. It is hard not to text though sometimes. I cant really explain why either.

RJ
03-02-2010, 08:04 PM
no desire. never understood how a phone call became so important while driving, other than in an emergency.

Weird, isn't it? That's why I usually won't answer the phone while I'm driving. The calls I get are rarely so important that they can't wait a few minutes.

Bugeater
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I will usually just call if it is that important.
If your phone call is that important then pull the **** over to make it.

RJ
03-02-2010, 08:07 PM
No, the phone calls need to go, every single damn time I'm behind someone driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit and swerving back in forth in their lane they've got a phone to their ear, the shit is getting out of control.

And to those of you who think you drive good when you're on the phone, trust me, you don't. You're just too wrapped up your phone call to realize you're driving like a jackass.

I can always tell the driver who is texting by the inconsistent speeds. Every time they start typing the speed drops, then picks up again when they finish. I'm sure they think they're driving just fine.

BWillie
03-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Absolutely. But it depends if there is traffic near me or not.

Crush
03-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Absolutely not and I refuse to talk on the phone while driving. There is this little invention called voice mail and it is very useful.

I'm with Bugeater on this. People on the phone, while behind the wheel, need to eat the leaves of an AIDS tree.

CrazyPhuD
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Sorry I'm pretty much against any phone use on the road even with hands free it's a massive distraction that as bad as a DUI. Never going to happen for me.

Posted via Mobile Device on 101N

stevieray
03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Weird, isn't it? That's why I usually won't answer the phone while I'm driving. The calls I get are rarely so important that they can't wait a few minutes.

"Sorry, it's the President, I have to take this"

Ebolapox
03-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm all for banning it. for the record, they make things called voicemail for calls, and most (if not all) phones made today have a little thing called 'speakerphone' where you can talk and pay attention to the road.

at least once a day I get cut off or otherwise 'wronged' in traffic by some moron not paying attention to the road, just jabbing on a cell phone or texting. it's ridiculous and it goes to ridiculous lengths. just ban it already!

Norman Einstein
03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
"Sorry, it's the President, I have to take this"

If the president is calling he should already know you are driving and make the call later. (those gd secret service spooks are everywhere)

Norman Einstein
03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Is texting and driving a trend for the younger crowd?

Most of the older people I know either don't text or don't even have a cell phone. One old guy has a cell phone but won't turn it on unless he needs to make a call, I guess he doesn't do incoming calls.

Bearcat
03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Hooray, this discussion again... it's not about texting while driving, it's about stupid people. Yeah, I text while driving, but not in traffic, and usually just at stop lights. The idiots who text while in traffic or while going 5 under in the fast lane would just find another way to get themselves into a wreck.

I don't really care if they ban it, because I don't do it all that often (as long as I can still read texts, heh).... just another law to keep us from killing ourselves due to our own stupidity.

Bwana
03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Phone yes, text no.

RustShack
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
i am now... Or is this not sexting?
Posted via Mobile Device

2bikemike
03-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Heck I don't even Text.

Norman Einstein
03-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Hooray, this discussion again... it's not about texting while driving, it's about stupid people. Yeah, I text while driving, but not in traffic, and usually just at stop lights. The idiots who text while in traffic or while going 5 under in the fast lane would just find another way to get themselves into a wreck.

I don't really care if they ban it, because I don't do it all that often (as long as I can still read texts, heh).... just another law to keep us from killing ourselves due to our own stupidity.

Granted I didn't go looking for the same discussion, but it's not something I've seen here. The pictures that have been linked to in the thread were graphic and just plain nasty.

teedubya
03-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't text, but I do use Swype. I can literally text/swype with my left thumb, while not looking at the screen. The program is that badass.

I have it on my Droid.

http://swypeinc.com

Norman Einstein
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Heck I don't even Text.

I would think that might be hard on a bike!

2bikemike
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM

Harder than talking on it thats for sure!

acesn8s
03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I only do it after drinking and while I'm smoking a ciggy.

Bugeater
03-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Well I would certainly prefer that they stop handing out driver's licenses to stupid people over a ban on cell phone use, but I don't see either of them happening anytime soon.

Bearcat
03-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Granted I didn't go looking for the same discussion, but it's not something I've seen here. The pictures that have been linked to in the thread were graphic and just plain nasty.

Eh, at least it's not the "driving after drinking one beer" discussion.... but I guess you could start a blog with the same pics, and title it "DON'T DRIVE AFTER DRINKING ONE BEER!"

Lzen
03-02-2010, 09:49 PM
. just another law to keep us from killing others due to our own stupidity.

FYP

Lzen
03-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Kinda hard to use a phone at all. And the part that really pisses me off is when someone knows I'm on the bike and yet they keep calling....as if I'm going to fucking answer!! :grr:

Lzen
03-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Well I would certainly prefer that they stop handing out driver's licenses to stupid people...

That would be awesome. The roads would be mostly clear for me to wherever I am going. :)

lazepoo
03-02-2010, 09:53 PM
It's illegal in Minnesota, and they do pull you over for it. So no.

Mosbonian
03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I have hands free, but my drive home is so short it's not even worth answering the phone if it rings. And I am willing to admit that I am not coordinated enough to drive and text so I don't even think about it.

But while we are all screaming about texting and driving, we should be just as adamant about drinking and driving. I laugh at people who scream about texting and driving, but wouldn't think a second about driving after having beer, alcohol and even ingesting drugs (legal or illegal).

mmaddog

Norman Einstein
03-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I have hands free, but my drive home is so short it's not even worth answering the phone if it rings. And I am willing to admit that I am not coordinated enough to drive and text so I don't even think about it.

But while we are all screaming about texting and driving, we should be just as adamant about drinking and driving. I laugh at people who scream about texting and driving, but wouldn't think a second about driving after having beer, alcohol and even ingesting drugs (legal or illegal).

mmaddog

I don't drink enough to worry about it. I've never driven after drinking but I've had a couple of beers after driving around dumb people.

POND_OF_RED
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
I only do it if I'm in the left lane on the highway. That way I can go my own speed without affecting oncoming traffic. Those assholes trying to drive the speed limit behind me can go around if they want to. This is the texting lane.

Phobia
03-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Yes, but I'm over 21 and live in Missouri so it's okay.

BWillie
03-03-2010, 12:56 AM
It's illegal in Minnesota, and they do pull you over for it. So no.

How do you get pulled over for texting? I mean how are they going to know you are texting? You don't put the thing up to your ear and say hello. So cops are just going to pull people over for looking down now?

Phobia
03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
How do you get pulled over for texting? I mean how are they going to know you are texting? You don't put the thing up to your ear and say hello. So cops are just going to pull people over for looking down now?
Oh yeah, that's so totally unbelievable. I mean, it's so discrete. It's better than booger-picking. I mean, I've never saw somebody driving slow and known they were texting while driving. It's incredibly difficult to read that kind of secret body-language.

Jenson71
03-03-2010, 02:48 AM
Great poll options, fucking Einstein. I'm going to have to go with "Would you ever while driving?"

Norman Einstein
03-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Great poll options, ****ing Einstein. I'm going to have to go with "Would you ever while driving?"So Sandy Vagina, don't select that option if it's over your head.

Pushead2
03-03-2010, 05:53 AM
I text all the time.....since the iphone has no buttons it's been easier.

ChiefsFan4Life
03-03-2010, 06:01 AM
I text using the keyboard only at red lights

I text while driving only when I use the dictation app on my iPhone - I speak the text, it translates, and with two pushes on the screen it's off to the recipient

Norman Einstein
03-03-2010, 06:02 AM
I text all the time.....since the iphone has no buttons it's been easier.

While driving?

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2010, 06:19 AM
No, I drive while texting. And, only one highways when I am going faster than the rest of the traffic. That way they don't hit me when I'm not looking.

03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
I never answer the phone while driving. I have actually had someone bitch at me for not answering the phone. Needless to say, they got an earful from me when they did that.

FAX
03-03-2010, 08:04 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe I've recounted this episode on ChiefsPlanet before. It still troubles me, though, so I'm fully prepared to mention it again.

It was a crisp, clear August morning as I was driving into downtown Nashville on Interstate 40. As was my normal practice, and as traffic conditions allowed, I maintained a speed approximately 10 miles above the posted limit. As it happened, this velocity allowed me to pass another vehicle on the left. As I did so, I glanced right - in the direction of the other driver.

It was a woman simultaneously steering with her knees, reading from a packet of stapled documents, applying eye makeup, eating what appeared to be a breakfast burrito or one of those horrific toaster pop up pastries, and speaking on the phone. Waves of a nameless, aberrant fear flooded my very being like a sudden and unexpected, icy shower and I was at once overcome with repugnance, terror, and an overwhelming fitful anxiety. How was it possible that she could engage in these concurrent tasks while remaining in control of her conveyance? Was she some malformed, mutant hybrid? The freakish result of a bizarre and grotesque experiment to combine the DNA of both debutante and octopus? My first instinct was to immediately veer right forcing her off the road and into a tree or abutment. I, however, somehow resisted that overpowering urge and drove onward with complete confidence that the woman (if, indeed, that's what she was) and her terrifying vehicle of appalling, ghastly death would be featured on the local news that evening. If, that is, the camera could get a shot through the thick, black smoke and the inevitable grisly inferno.

FAX

Bugeater
03-03-2010, 08:04 AM
I never answer the phone while driving. I have actually had someone bitch at me for not answering the phone. Needless to say, they got an earful from me when they did that.
Yeah my former employer always grumbled about me not answering the phone, if I was supposed to meet him at a job he'd always start calling 5 minutes before I was supposed to be there, and he'd call over and over even though I made it clear to him I don't answer the phone when I'm driving, and if I did I'd pull over and it would just delay my arrival. He didn't get it at all. Needless to say, I don't work for him any more.

mlyonsd
03-03-2010, 08:20 AM
A kid ran a red light and T-boned my dad last year while dialing his cell phone.

My dad's jaw dropped when he openly admitted it to the cop. I'm pretty sure he was stupid but my dad being dad said he just appreciated him being honest.

Duck Dog
03-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm actually considering taking on the role of vigilante. I would spend my days driving around looking for cell phone drivers. Shoving their cell phones up their asses would be my calling card.

Brock
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM

You've never seen anyone texting while driving?

Bugeater
03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
You've never seen anyone texting while driving?
I never have, I guess if I don't see a phone plastered to their ear I just assume they are shitty drivers.

MeaTy The Pimp
03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
I am usually too busy reading the newspaper or shaving to worry about texting.

Just kidding, I don't take calls or text while driving. Driving takes enough concentration with having to watch out for all of the other tards out there who are on the phone while driving.

Brock
03-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I never have, I guess if I don't see a phone plastered to their ear I just assume they are shitty drivers.

I've seen a lot of people doing it. What usually tips me off is the weaving from shoulder to middle of the road like a drunk.

RJ
03-03-2010, 10:13 AM

Let's just say you don't need to be a highly trained traffic cop to figure it out.

patteeu
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I confess that on rare occasions, while on relatively low traffic rural roads, I've read ChiefsPlanet on my phone.

Jilly
03-03-2010, 12:45 PM
My habits have changed drastically from what they were. I will text while driving, but only to give a brief answer, like "Are you going to the store after work?" "Yes." "What time will you be home?" "five". Things like that and I limit those answers to when I'm stopped at a light or stop sign. I will occasionally pull over if there is something that requires more attention, or I will turn into a neighborhood and drive very slow around the block. But that's pretty much it anymore.

Bowser
03-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Truck drivers can now receive a fine of up to $2750 for texting while driving their rigs. You would be amazed at how many of those guys just drive down the road texting, completely oblivious.

Jilly
03-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Truck drivers can now receive a fine of up to $2750 for texting while driving their rigs. You would be amazed at how many of those guys just drive down the road texting, completely oblivious.

How does anyone even see them all the way up there?

Bowser
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
How does anyone even see them all the way up there?Helps when you are eye level with them. :)

Or, just wave for them to roll down the window and stick their heads out. They love that. Bare boobies help out in that regard. So I'm told, of course.....

Jilly
03-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Helps when you are eye level with them. :)

Or, just wave for them to roll down the window and stick their heads out. They love that. Bare boobies help out in that regard. So I'm told, of course.....

So if I were to drive by you, ask you to stick your head out the window and show you my bare boobies, there's no $2700 fine for that? but if you were texting while doing it......it's big bucks?!!!!

Bowser
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
So if I were to drive by you, ask you to stick your head out the window and show you my bare boobies, there's no $2700 fine for that? but if you were texting while doing it......it's big bucks?!!!!Basically, if you're not counting the dollar amount in damages I could do if I were to crash the thing, if I were to be so dumb as to be texting while driving the rig.

Hey, look there! An insurance scam to exploit!

Jilly
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Basically, if you're not counting the dollar amount in damages I could do if I were to crash the thing, if I were to be so dumb as to be texting while driving the rig.

Hey, look there! An insurance scam to exploit!

Ok, well next time I see you on the road I'll be sure to show you my boobies when you're not texting, which you wouldn't be doing anyways cuz you are an angel. o:-) Or at the least a responsible truck driver.

Bowser
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Ok, well next time I see you on the road I'll be sure to show you my boobies when you're not texting, which you wouldn't be doing anyways cuz you are an angel. o:-) Or at the least a responsible truck driver.

Bookmarked.

:evil: