PDA

View Full Version : Misc who are the pit bull owners here?

wilas101
03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I seem to recall a couple guys that were owners/advocates for pit bulls but i don't remember who exactly it was.

a friend of mine found a puppy on the road the other day and we thought it looked like it might have some pit bull in it so i thought I'd ask the experts. :)

here are the pics:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/wilas101/DSCN1601.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/wilas101/DSCN1598.jpg

What do you all think?

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Beautiful puppy. Kinda looks like my pup did. Mine is a mutt. Pitt/Rottie mix.

He looks a bit more Pitt than mine did though.

Donger
03-03-2010, 10:25 AM
All I see is something I want to destroy.

stlchiefs
03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
cute guy. Definitely has pit in him.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
honestly, no telling.

but to second quess my 1st thought it looks to be more of what fanciers call a 'bully' type, than a 'pitbull' type.

RJ
03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Looks like he has pit in him to me. Have you ever owned that type of dog before?

blaise
03-03-2010, 10:30 AM
We had three growing up. One got shot by a neighbor because she kept getting into his chickens. One got shot by my stepbrother because he turned mean and the third one got hit by a car. One or two of them killed some dog once that happened onto our property. I didn't see it happen, but we found a dead dog all bloodied up out in the back pasture and I'm almost positive our dogs did it. (I lived on a horse ranch with quite a bit of land and woods, etc)I think for the most part it's owners that make them bad, but if I had small kids in the house or neighborhood I personally wouldn't own one. I would just think, if something did happen, that I made a bad decision.
That dog definitely has some pit in him, by the way.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Looks like he has pit in him to me. Have you ever owned that type of dog before?

Cuz if you haven't they're a handful. Have to excercise them everyday or they will get restless and destructive.

And since that pup is so young, I'd highly recomend socializing him early. I dont have friends with dogs so I have to take mine to the dog park regularly.

POND_OF_RED
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I love pit bulls. A couple of my buddies have them and they are probably the best trained dogs I've ever seen. I hate these fuckers trying to ban them from entire cities.

rambleonthruthefog
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
yup.......time to shoot it now.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I love pit bulls. A couple of my buddies have them and they are probably the best trained dogs I've ever seen. I hate these ****ers trying to ban them from entire cities.

My puppy, though only part Pitt, is only 4-5months old and understands the commands: Sit, come, off, out, and can pee on command.

Still working on "down"...that's a tough one for whatever reason. But it's pretty cool when you're at the dog park and your 4 month old pup is 20-30 yards away and still runs to you when you call his name. Smart doggies.

58-4ever
03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Antifreeze should do the trick.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
I love pit bulls. A couple of my buddies have them and they are probably the best trained dogs I've ever seen. I hate these ****ers trying to ban them from entire cities.

Best thing that could happen to the breed imo is BSL on pitbull types from coast2coast. all out genocide.

Many in the fancy feel the sameway.

Phobia
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
My puppy, though only part Pitt, is only 4-5months old and understands the commands: Sit, come, off, out, and can pee on command.

Still working on "down"...that's a tough one for whatever reason. But it's pretty cool when you're at the dog park and your 4 month old pup is 20-30 yards away and still runs to you when you call his name. Smart doggies.

When he jumps up grab his feet and lift him off the ground half an inch and hold for a second. Then drop him. He'll stop very quickly.

POND_OF_RED
03-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Best thing that could happen to the breed imo is BSL on pitbull types from coast2coast. all out genocide.

Many in the fancy feel the sameway.

It must be hard watching a dog show more intelligence than you the majority of the time. I understand your pain.

wilas101
Nope, but I'm not looking to own now.

We have a great dane and that's enough dog running around the house. :)

the gal that found it doesn't want to keep it but was looking for a home. needless to say, finding someone to take a dog, let alone one that appears to have pit bull in it is difficult.

My next idea was to check here because I knew there were a couple (I assume) responsible pit bull owners and thought they might be able to help with finding a shelter or someplace to take it.

If it goes to the humane society around here they will euthanize immediately because of the pit bull factor.

She doesn't want to see it dead if she can find it a home that will take care of it.

ModSocks
When he jumps up grab his feet and lift him off the ground half an inch and hold for a second. Then drop him. He'll stop very quickly.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 10:44 AM

the gal that found it doesn't want to keep it but was looking for a home. needless to say, finding someone to take a dog, let alone one that appears to have pit bull in it is difficult.

My next idea was to check here because I knew there were a couple (I assume) responsible pit bull owners and thought they might be able to help with finding a shelter or someplace to take it.

If it goes to the humane society around here they will euthanize immediately because of the pit bull factor.

She doesn't want to see it dead if she can find it a home that will take care of it.

Put him on Craigs List. Just make sure that you actually interview the person and know that you're giving him up to someone who can actually take care of him.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
It must be hard watching a dog show more intelligence than you the majority of the time. I understand your pain.

best check yourself at the door big, before you go talkin about bulldogs on this BB with me.

Rain Man
03-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Dunno about the breed, but I love those blue eyes.

POND_OF_RED
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
best check yourself at the door big, before you go talkin about bulldogs on this BB with me.

To say a pit bull genocide is the best thing that could happen is fucking retarded.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 10:53 AM

http://www.pbrc.net/

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
To say a pit bull genocide is the best thing that could happen is ****ing retarded.

you have such a limited knowledge about the breed, how could you call someone how has spent half a lifetime with the breed retarded.

Maybe my thinking goes far beyond what you can even begin to ponder.

tooge
03-03-2010, 10:56 AM

I need to try that but I'm afraid I'll dislocate my shoulders.

POND_OF_RED
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM
you have such a limited knowledge about the breed, how could you call someone how has spent half a lifetime with the breed retarded.

I'm sure Hitler thought he was a genius when he came up with his genocide idea as well. Doesn't mean you're a deep thinker. Killing these dogs is wrong. Period.

El Jefe
03-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Should probably take your finger off that trigger, I learned the hardway also. I remember Big_Daddy warning me when i started yapping one time. MOhillbilly is untestable in his knowledge in this area FFR.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm sure Hitler thought he was a genius when he came up with his genocide idea as well. Doesn't mean you're a deep thinker. Killing these dogs is wrong. Period.

coming from an extreme novice i will take you opinion for what its worth.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 11:00 AM

So why is that? I hear you say that you're a bulldog expert in nearly every dog thread, but have yet to hear why you are an expert.

I am not doubting your credentials, but am curious to know why you think the breed should be murdered.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
So why is that? I hear you say that you're a bulldog expert in nearly every dog thread, but have yet to hear why you are an expert.

I am not doubting your credentials, but am curious to know why you think the breed should be murdered.

To keep this breed in its true form the only option is to take it out of the hands of the novice breeder,handler. The only way to do this is an across the board BSL on pitbull types. The diehard fancy will keep the true blood close, never to escape the yard again.

You have a mutt, now tell me how im wrong.

CoMoChief
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I have a dog thats' half dragon half pitbull with a little bit of hammerhead shark in it.

It swims faster than any human ive ever seen. Flies all over the planet and when it gets mad it breathes fire on everyone and anything.

And it attacks neighborhood children in the area.....I guess he gets that from the Pit in him.

POND_OF_RED
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
To keep this breed in its true form the only option is to take it out of the hands of the novice breeder,handler. The only way to do this is an across the board BSL on pitbull types. The diehard fancy will keep the true blood close, never to escape the yard again.

Uhhh, that's not genocide. That's more like keeping them in captivity. Huge difference. Where does your all out genocide plan fall into this?

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Uhmm....so you want to kill the breed so that only Dog snobs can breed them and raise them? Correct?

And why is that? And what is wrong with having a crossbred dog?

blazzin311
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
To say a pit bull genocide is the best thing that could happen is ****ing retarded.

Agreed. I love pits as well. Living in Bismarck, Nd I know several people here in town that own pits. All of those people's pits are well behaved, loving, loyal dogs. I somewhat grew up around pits from time to time with couple of my cousins each owning pits as well. I've never known anyone owning a pit to experience any serious problems. It's all about how you raise treat/ your animal that will affect it's temperment. They're good dogs. Also there is for sure pit in that dog you found. Guarantee it! How much I supposed is debatable. Looks like a mix to me. ;)

El Jefe
03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Uhmm....so you want to kill the breed so that only Dog snobs can breed them and raise them? Correct?

Not trying to be a douche, but if you can't answer that question for yourself you really don't have much footing to stand on in this conversation.

soopamanluva
03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Certainly looks like it. I had 4 of them at one time and that looks like one of the pups I had.

Demonpenz
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I couldn't afford the homeowners insurance on them

Bill Lundberg
03-03-2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.mprgroup.net/

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Not trying to be a douche, but if you can't answer that question for yourself you really don't have much footing to stand on in this conversation.

Well then explain it to me. Considering that most dog breeds were created by cross breeding other dogs, im not sure what the issue is here.

MahiMike
03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
All I see is something I want to destroy.

This. Before it destroys you or the neighbors.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
KILL IT WITH FIRE NOW

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
So, the only advantage I can find for the Purebred vs Crossbred debate is that the purebred is more predictable.

Aside from that, Various sites have said that:

Crossbreeds typically have better temperments
Crossbreeds typically have less health problems
Crossbreeds are cheaper to own due to less health issues

So...what is wrong with Crossbreeds again? Especially considering that most dog breeds are the result of years of crossbreeding?

Im just curious.

I mean yeah, purebreeds have specific charectoristics that people look for, and they are obviously worth more money, especially for breeding.

But if you dont plan on breeding them and dont care about the, "oh he's a pureblood" snob factor, then what's wrong with a crossbreed? Seriously? Someone tell me.

morphius
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
So, the only advantage I can find for the Purebred vs Crossbred debate is that the purebred is more predictable.

Aside from that, Various sites have said that:

Crossbreeds typically have better temperments
Crossbreeds typically have less health problems
Crossbreeds are cheaper to own due to less health issues

So...what is wrong with Crossbreeds again? Especially considering that most dog breeds are the result of years of crossbreeding?

Im just curious.

I mean yeah, purebreeds have specific charectoristics that people look for, and they are obviously worth more money, especially for breeding.

But if you dont plan on breeding them and dont care about the, "oh he's a pureblood" snob factor, then what's wrong with a crossbreed? Seriously? Someone tell me.
Unless you are looking to show a dog I can't see any reason for a purebred or that breed was bred for a very particular job. And since I can't see a reason for showing dogs and very few people have a reason for job specific dog...

vailpass
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM

ROFL

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM

Pitbulls are dangerous. They come with a certain skill set joe public who couldnt raise a poodle couldnt begin to comprehend the dominat and recesive traits that pitbulls carry.
Facts are facts. these dogs were never meant to be in JQs hands, to much of a liability. Dont believe me? punch up pitbull attack on google news and see how many good dogs all of a sudden 'go bad'.
for me to say genocide is the best option for the breed and that the men & women who breed by the code laid down for us hundreds of years ago keepin the blood pure is in the dogs best intrest comes from years of study.

As for your mutt, as i stated above the american pitbull terrier comes w/ certain traits, mix that w/ a mongrel and you end up w/ an animal more dangerous than a pitbull. You end up with a hodgepodge of bullshit just waiting to 'start up' so to speak.

Brock
03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
He's so cute you almost forget to worry about him removing a toddler's face.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Pitbulls are dangerous. They come with a certain skill set joe public who couldnt raise a poodle couldnt begin to comprehend the dominat and recesive traits that pitbulls carry.
Facts are facts. these dogs were never meant to be in JQs hands, to much of a liability. Dont believe me? punch up pitbull attack on google news and see how many good dogs all of a sudden 'go bad'.
for me to say genocide is the best option for the breed and that the men & women who breed by the code laid down for us hundreds of years ago keepin the blood pure is in the dogs best intrest comes from years of study.

As for your mutt, as i stated above the american pitbull terrier comes w/ certain traits, mix that w/ a mongrel and you end up w/ an animal more dangerous than a pitbull. You end up with a hodgepodge of bullshit just waiting to 'start up' so to speak.

Just because you mix the Pitbull doesn't mean that you end up with an animal that is more dangerous. You're assuming that ONLY the worst traits will be predominate. That's not true. You're also not taking into account the traits of the other dog. My dog is mixed, neither of his parents are aggressive dogs. My dog, though still young, is obedient and non-aggressive. He is one of the most playful dogs at the dog park. He is incredibly social. He approaches nearly every dog owner there in a playful manner as well as other dogs.

And if we're going to single out Pitbulls because of there alpha nature, shouldn't we also point out boxers, German Shepards, Rotts, Pinchers etc, because they are also alpha-type dogs?

And I thought the whole premise of a Pitbull was the that they are aggressive towards other dogs, not particularly humans. Isn't the pitbull's fondness of humans one of the breed's most positive traits aside from there ability to perform tasks?

Now, I do agree with you on the rest of your statement that not just anyone should be raising a Pit. But killing the breed is a bit extreme. The same could be said about people raising any of the other breeds of alpha dogs.

BIG_DADDY
03-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Mo,

So you want to empower the HSUS and PETA even more than they already are? Interesting.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Just because you mix the Pitbull doesn't mean that you end up with an animal that is more dangerous. You're assuming that ONLY the worst traits will be predominate. That's not true. You're also not taking into account the traits of the other dog. My dog is mixed, neither of his parents are aggressive dogs. My dog, though still young, is obedient and non-aggressive. He is one of the most playful dogs at the dog park. He is incredibly social. He approaches nearly every dog owner there in a playful manner as well as other dogs.

And if we're going to single out Pitbulls because of there alpha nature, shouldn't we also point out boxers, German Shepards, Rotts, Pinchers etc, because they are also alpha-type dogs?

And I thought the whole premise of a Pitbull was the that they are aggressive towards other dogs, not particularly humans. Isn't the pitbull's fondness of humans one of the breed's most positive traits aside from there ability to perform tasks?

Now, I do agree with you on the rest of your statement that not just anyone should be raising a Pit. But killing the breed is a bit extreme. The same could be said about people raising any of the other breeds of alpha dogs.

spend the next 15 years rubbing elbows with purebred apbt and then come back and laugh at your jibberish.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Mo,

So you want to empower the HSUS and PETA even more than they already are? Interesting.

no bigdaddy. i want the breed out of the hands of the public and into the hands of diehard dogmen.
its the breeds only real hope.

BIG_DADDY
03-03-2010, 02:50 PM
no bigdaddy. i want the breed out of the hands of the public and into the hands of diehard dogmen.
its the breeds only real hope.

I understand what you're saying brother but that will be one of the drawbacks. Just saying. Seems Russia has been importing a lot of talent in recent years.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I understand what you're saying brother but that will be one of the drawbacks. Just saying. Seems Russia has been importing a lot of talent in recent years.

i know you have a better feel for what i am sayin than 99% of the bb. The sad truth is that the dogs sent east are being sent back to strengthen the blood here.

it is that watered down.
And the ones who have good blood arent lettin it off yard.

im out.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 02:59 PM
spend the next 15 years rubbing elbows with purebred apbt and then come back and laugh at your jibberish.

Well, rather than "laughing at my jibberish" explain to me why you're right and im wrong?

Are the other dogs i mentioned not aggressive, alpha dogs? If not taken care of properly, do they not have the ability to attack a human?

Aren't pitbulls known for there fondness of people? Because i have not come across an APBT that's agressive towards people. And most owners of the breed claim they are great with people as long as they are cared for correctly; trained, excercised everyday etc.

Yes, they are a dominant breed and must cared for in the same manner that other dominant breeds are. Some people dont have the patience and will to care for these dominant dog breeds properly. But, I've seen plenty of instances in which the dog thrived as a family dog.

I just dont agree with your stance that the APBT is so dominate that it needs to be killed off, because the same rationale would have to be used for every other dominate dog breed.

The Rott is a perfect example of that. The rott is not nearly as receptive to humans as the Pit, (hence the reason they make great guard dogs). So, shouldn't the Rott be the first dog to mass murder?

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Well, rather than "laughing at my jibberish" explain to me why you're right and im wrong?

Are the other dogs i mentioned not aggressive, alpha dogs? If not taken care of properly, do they not have the ability to attack a human?

Aren't pitbulls known for there fondness of people? Because i have not come across an APBT that's agressive towards people. And most owners of the breed claim they are great with people as long as they are cared for correctly; trained, excercised everyday etc.

Yes, they are a dominant breed and must cared for in the same manner that other dominant breeds are. Some people dont have the patience and will to care for these dominant dog breeds properly. But, I've seen plenty of instances in which the dog thrived as a family dog.

I just dont agree with your stance that the APBT is so dominate that it needs to be killed off, because the same rationale would have to be used for every other dominate dog breed.

The Rott is a perfect example of that. The rott is not nearly as receptive to humans as the Pit, (hence the reason they make great guard dogs). So, shouldn't the Rott be the first dog to mass murder?

i dont feel i have to explain anything to you noob. feel free to study up on your own.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Basically, I respect your opinion but would rather you expand on it than take an elitist attitude towards the matter.

The "oh, you're such a novice, you'll never understand" attitude kinda devalues your opinion.

Keep in mind, you're not the only person on the BB to have ever owned one of these dogs. I owned one, I lived with another for about 3 years, and my GF has one in there family. All of them great dogs.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
i dont feel i have to explain anything to you noob. feel free to study up on your own.

Noob? Are you serious?

Come on dude, I thought you were better than that.

I've studied up on it plenty. Which is why im interested in hearing your reasons for it. Im just trying to have a conversation with you yet you want to resort to insults and an elitist attitude.

Come on man, what's up with that?

DMAC
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Pit Bulls are cool. Nice lookin pup.

I have about the exact opposite of a pit bull.

Pablo
03-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Couldn't he have just hit it with the car instead of stopping to pick it up and bring it home?

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Noob? Are you serious?

Come on dude, I thought you were better than that.

I've studied up on it plenty. Which is why im interested in hearing your reasons for it. Im just trying to have a conversation with you yet you want to resort to insults and an elitist attitude.

Come on man, what's up with that?

alright if youve read up give me the sdj #1 ROM dog & bitch.

tooge
03-03-2010, 03:22 PM
First off, all breeds have "alpha dogs". That is simply part of the pack social order. There are certainly alpha dogs and omega dogs taht are pitbulls, but that goes for all dog breeds. There are poodle type mutts that will bite you square in the face and not let go if you get your face to close to theirs. They just dont take your entire face off. I happen to have a very large breed dog (swiss mountain dog) that was bred for a certain task (pulling stuff around a farm, like a horse). Mine jsut so happens to be NOT the alpha dog in our pack (my family) so she knows her place. I've seen just about every breed of dog "go bad" at some time or other. Remember, dogs are like people in that they have chemical signals tath contro their brains. And, just like people, there are some whos chemical signals are genetically flipped up. Thats why we have people like Jeffry Dahmer. If a dog shows propensity for violence, shoot its ass. Breeding should be only in the hands of those that know what qualities thay are breeding for.Just because you mix the Pitbull doesn't mean that you end up with an animal that is more dangerous. You're assuming that ONLY the worst traits will be predominate. That's not true. You're also not taking into account the traits of the other dog. My dog is mixed, neither of his parents are aggressive dogs. My dog, though still young, is obedient and non-aggressive. He is one of the most playful dogs at the dog park. He is incredibly social. He approaches nearly every dog owner there in a playful manner as well as other dogs.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM

So you wanna play this game? Im not a dog breeder. I've never claimed to be. I am a dog OWNER. AS such, I have my own experiences with the breed. None of them bad. Which is why i find you stance to be out of the norm for someone who raises them

I don't claim to know it all. Which is why, in countless posts, I have asked you to clarify the reasoning for your hard stance. I would like to pick you brain and have a conversation with you. Instead, you have taken the, "you don't know nearly as much as I do, so fuck you i dont need to have this conversation" stance.

Im not going to go research Dog breeding facts and bloodlines. I could care less. When i purchased my mutt, someone was trying to sell me a full blooded pit, and he was rattling off blood lines and blah blah blah to try to justify me dropping 1k on a dog.

I dont care about that. I just want a good family pet. I have owned a Pit that was a GREAT dog. Lived with another Pure APBT who was an even better dog.

I care about the breed as a pet, not to make money, not to show off, not to work on a farm. As a pet.

And my research on the subject will stop there. How good is this dog as a pet? It's a great dog as a pet as long as it's cared for properly.

So, I have no idea what you're asking. It looks like a question about breeding. And if it is a question about pure bloodlines, how does that relate to the topic of genocide?

blazzin311
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Agreed Detox. Couldn't have said it any better myself. :clap:

Well that's your opinion Mohillbilly and your certainly entitled to it. However just because you've had some bad experiences with pits doesn't make them bad. Just means you've had some bad luck/ run across some bad dogs. It happens. Generally speaking though pits are good well behaved dogs.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Well that's your opinion Mohillbilly and your certainly entitled to it. However just because you've had some bad experiences with pits doesn't make them bad. Just means you've had some bad luck/ run across some bad dogs. It happens. Generally speaking though pits are good well behaved dogs.

no big it means ive been around thousands of pitbulldogs and dont care to shine a light to someone who doesnt have the most basic understanding about this breed.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
First off, all breeds have "alpha dogs". That is simply part of the pack social order. There are certainly alpha dogs and omega dogs taht are pitbulls, but that goes for all dog breeds. There are poodle type mutts that will bite you square in the face and not let go if you get your face to close to theirs. They just dont take your entire face off. I happen to have a very large breed dog (swiss mountain dog) that was bred for a certain task (pulling stuff around a farm, like a horse). Mine jsut so happens to be NOT the alpha dog in our pack (my family) so she knows her place. I've seen just about every breed of dog "go bad" at some time or other. Remember, dogs are like people in that they have chemical signals tath contro their brains. And, just like people, there are some whos chemical signals are genetically flipped up. Thats why we have people like Jeffry Dahmer. If a dog shows propensity for violence, shoot its ass. Breeding should be only in the hands of those that know what qualities thay are breeding for.

I know all breeds have alpha dogs. I wasn't talking about the Alpha dog in a pack. And I agree, Breeding should be left to Breeders. Im not debating that.

But are you also saying that Breeds that have shown aggressive tendancies should all be banned and put to sleep?

Because that is what the debate is here. And I disagree. It's on the owners to care for the dog properly so it does not become anxious and destructive.

People seem to think that they can buy a dog like a Pit, or a dog like yours, and just chain him up in there backyard until they are ready to go play with them. That's when good dogs go bad.

So, what seperates a Pit from the rest of the larger, aggressive dog breeds that can turn on you? Why does the Pit need to die?

To preserve the bloodline? That's a shitty reason to kill off thousands of perfectly good dogs.

El Jefe
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM

You do understand that he is an expert in this particular breed of dog no? Im not defending him, but the guy has been around more pits than probably all of us on this site put together. So his opinion on the breed holds some major weight, that doesn't mean you have to agree with him, just wanted to make sure you knew that.

-King-
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't know anything about the subject really but I feel that MoHillbilly is using the douchebaggish "I know more than you but I won't explain my point to you" attitude too much.

-King-
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM

You do understand that he is an expert in this particular breed of dog no? Im not defending him, but the guy has been around more pits than probably all of us on this site put together. So his opinion on the breed holds some major weight, that doesn't mean you have to agree with him, just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Then he should defend his opinions instead of just basically saying "I know more than you so shut up".

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't know anything about the subject really but I feel that MoHillbilly is using the douchebaggish "I know more than you but I won't explain my point to you" attitude too much.

dude ive been here since 02 and have been round and round with this subject. feel free to search the archives.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
[quote=kcchiefsfanGoJC;6573489]

Then he should defend his opinions instead of just basically saying "I know more than you so shut up".

i can do what i want its my brain.do your own homework.
Ive set the op on the right track.

im out.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
no big it means ive been around thousands of pitbulldogs and dont care to shine a light to someone who doesnt have the most basic understanding about this breed.

How do you figure I dont have the most basic understanding?

That's a cop-out. You're assuming shit. That's that elitist attitude again. I am receptive to your opinions, but you choose not to expand.

So, in your terms, what is the basic understanding of the breed? I just want that clarified, since we've never talked about it and you've already assumed that I know nothing about the dog that i've owned.

If you're going to ask breeding questions, than yeah, you're right. I dont breed dogs

BIG_DADDY
03-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Crenshaws CH JEEP
JC Shaw CH Honeybunch

El Jefe
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
How do you figure I dont have the most basic understanding?

That's a cop-out. You're assuming shit. That's that elitist attitude again. I am receptive to your opinions, but you choose not to expand.

So, in your terms, what is the basic understanding of the breed? I just want that clarified, since we've never talked about it and you've already assumed that I know nothing about the dog that i've owned.

If you're going to ask breeding questions, than yeah, you're right. I dont breed dogs

Let it go brother...

blazzin311
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Yea I gather that he's spent a lot of time with the breeds and so forth based on his comments. Which is cool. They're fun dogs. That being said I've grown up around them too with friends and relavitves owning them and such. Several different pits too. They've all been well behaved dogs without any problems what so ever. I've never known anyone with any problems with their pits. It's all about how you raise and treat the animal. Now is that to say they're all good well behaved dogs? Absolutely not! There may be some exceptions to this in some pit cases but for the most part it's about how you raise em. That's the damn truth!

El Jefe
03-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I understand where you're coming from blazzin, I wasn't defending MO, just simply stating that his opinons are pretty solidly based.

NewChief
03-03-2010, 03:58 PM
One basic difference here:

Mohillbilly is coming at this from the perspective of someone interested in the breed from a gamedog point of view. Most of the other people are mainly interested in the dog as a pet. Those are two very different perspectives.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Im not saying his opinion doesn't. It's exactly why im trying to have this conversation.

Anytime ANYONE knows more than me about a particular subject, i want to know too. I've learned a lot about many things here on this BB and look forward to learning more.

But, when I and many others have had nothing but great experiences with these dogs, than I am curious to know why an "expert breeder" wants this breed slain?

Everything that I have ever read, heard and experienced show this dog to be a great dog when cared for properly. And if you don't care for a dog properly, then it's not just a Pit that you have to worry about bitting your face off. There are MANY other dog breeds more than capable of attacking and will do so if not treated right.

So, the question is, why genocide for this particular breed? Is it the breed or the people raising them?

I believe it's the people raising them. The kind of "gangstas" that get one, rough house with it all the time, and then tie them up out back and neglect them. Those are the kinds of people who turn there dogs into monsters. And those people wont just turn Pits into monsters, they have the ability to turn many dog breeds into monsters.

So, why genocide for a particular breed when many other breeds are prone to the same kind of behavior given the same kind of circumstances?

A Pit, like any other dog, in a good environment will be a good dog. In a bad environment, you'll get a bad dog.

If a pit couldn't be a good dog, then why bother breeding them at all? Aren't they bred to be sold to families? It just doesnt ad up.

If the point is that not everyone should be BREEDING these dogs....then ok, I agree. But to call mass genocide? For what? To prevent breeding? Come on...that's not a good reason...

KC native
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I own a pit (and have owned one for almost my whole life) and they are great dogs but they aren't for the novice dog owner. I won't go as far as MO in saying they are all dangerous but there are certain characteristics that you have to be on top of. The problem is they are extremely overbred so there are a lot of pits out there that should have never been bred. So, because of this there are a lot of dogs with unstable tempraments and a whole host of other issues that should have never existed in the first place if the dogs were bred properly.

KC native
03-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Mohillbilly is coming at this from the perspective of someone interested in the breed from a gamedog point of view. Most of the other people are mainly interested in the dog as a pet. Those are two very different perspectives.

This. I was trying to think of a way to say it to make it clear to the rest of the board without slamming MO.

BIG_DADDY
03-03-2010, 04:05 PM

And I'm not sure I agree with the BSL he is for either for a number of reasons. I certainly understand his point though. Saw some friggen hippies out at whole foods 2 days ago with 8 pups that they were trying to sell on the sidewalk. Helping somebody out. They were going to keep at least a couple. They have no idea what they are doing.

ModSocks
03-03-2010, 04:05 PM

I think you're 100% right.

Iowanian
03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Every dog that has ever bitten a kids face off was "the nicest dog, never shown aggression towards anyone...their kids play with it".

I don't think its the breed that is the problem as much as the percentage of Dooooshers that own them.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Crenshaws CH JEEP
JC Shaw CH Honeybunch

;)

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 04:16 PM

and what happened when the gamebred dogs got into john Qs hand starting in the 70s?

To truely understand an apbt you must understand the nature of the gamedog and dogman. Anything less and you sell yourself short on what the breed was, is , and where its going.(pitbull dogs as a whole gamedogs or curbred)

edit- and the perspective on selective breeding should be the same minus the petbull owners willingness to sell curbred dogs to the public(hell dogmen do it as well)

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
And I'm not sure I agree with the BSL he is for either for a number of reasons. I certainly understand his point though. Saw some friggen hippies out at whole foods 2 days ago with 8 pups that they were trying to sell on the sidewalk. Helping somebody out. They were going to keep at least a couple. They have no idea what they are doing.

i love this breed so much BigDaddy that i am willing to see it eradicated from the publics hands. Those that truely love what the breed is, would go back to 'family dogs' and you will have to walk over the dogmans bodies to take there charges.
Diehard stand bro. this is what i think is best for the breed on a whole.

BIG_DADDY
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
i love this breed so much BigDaddy that i am willing to see it eradicated from the publics hands. Those that truely love what the breed is, would go back to 'family dogs' and you will have to walk over the dogmans bodies to take there charges.
Diehard stand bro. this is what i think is best for the breed on a whole.

I totally understand what you are saying and why. My main concern is it will empower the HSUS and PETA and the SPCA to go after all kinds of breeds. We both know damn well they will. If they get just one they will go after as many breeds as they can. It's funny how the media portrays these organizations as being humane when in reality if they were given the power they would turn into huge killing machines.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I totally understand what you are saying and why. My main concern is it will empower the HSUS and PETA and the SPCA to go after all kinds of breeds. We both know damn well they will. If they get just one they will go after as many breeds as they can. It's funny how the media portrays these organizations as being humane when in reality if they were given the power they would turn into huge killing machines.

it doesnt matter cause across the board bsl will never happen.
AR can eat meat and choke on it.

it amazes me they still get pub. from celebs about animal care and they murder more animals than anyone else.

BIG_DADDY
03-03-2010, 04:58 PM
it doesnt matter cause across the board bsl will never happen.
AR can eat meat and choke on it.

it amazes me they still get pub. from celebs about animal care and they murder more animals than anyone else.

They are even talking about reversing the ban in Denver.

Swanman
03-03-2010, 05:10 PM

We had a Great Dane that liked to jump when she was a pup, which was cured by my dad grabbing her front feet, holding her up, then giving her hind feet a little stomp (enough to get a slight yelp but don't break bones). Seems a bit cruel, but cured her of jumping right quick.

BIG_DADDY
03-03-2010, 05:20 PM
They are even talking about reversing the ban in Denver.

This would be the equivilent of the Nazi's losing Auschwitz for the HSUS BTW

blazzin311
03-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I understand where you're coming from blazzin, I wasn't defending MO, just simply stating that his opinons are pretty solidly based.

Yup I hear ya. I wasn't trying to knock his opinions or say he's totally ill informed either. I try to remain open to all opinions or at least try to see where people are coming from. It's only fair I think. Then again for the most part in general I try to get along with everyone. I don't like having beefs/ holding grudges against people. It's not fun to go through life that way. So instead I state my opinions while at the same time trying to understand everyone else. I guess it's kind of a respect issue really. IDK.

I own a pit (and have owned one for almost my whole life) and they are great dogs but they aren't for the novice dog owner. I won't go as far as MO in saying they are all dangerous but there are certain characteristics that you have to be on top of. The problem is they are extremely overbred so there are a lot of pits out there that should have never been bred. So, because of this there are a lot of dogs with unstable tempraments and a whole host of other issues that should have never existed in the first place if the dogs were bred properly.

Yup I think you hit the nail on the head here as to what I was thinking, but didn't know how to explain it. Well done Sir. :clap:

Every dog that has ever bitten a kids face off was "the nicest dog, never shown aggression towards anyone...their kids play with it".

I don't think its the breed that is the problem as much as the percentage of Dooooshers that own them.

I'd have to agree with you. The people/ assholes that own these bad tempered pits is a very important issue to consider. There are many people out there who own pets that really should not be able to. For various reasons.

MahiMike
03-03-2010, 06:29 PM
There's a reason why insurance companies won't let tenants have these dogs. If anyone knows risk/reward/stats, it's those guys.