PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Weird Shit your Grandparents and Parents used to (or still do) eat or drink

Buck
03-04-2010, 04:23 PM
The Thread Title says it all, lets hear it.

Buck
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
My grandpa on my Dads side is the only one who ate weird shit.

Mustard and Butter sandwiches
Mayonnaise and Black Pepper sandwiches
He'd drink Buttermilk straight (sometimes with pepper)

KCChiefsMan
03-04-2010, 04:26 PM
my Grandma loved liver and onions, but that's not that weird.

Dartgod
03-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Lutefisk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk
:Lin:

Buck
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Also my Grandpa said he ate monkey brains and turtle. I dont know if this was when he was in the war (Japan WWII) or when he was a kid (East St. Louis, Illinois), or if he was just bullshitting me, because I never saw him eat that.

FAX
Grandma FAX used to eat live chickens. It was always, "C'mon in the house now Grandma and stop eating those chickens."

FAX

Buck
Lutefisk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

I saw that on Man vs. Food the other day.

Tell me who in their right fucking mind would say, let me soak this fish in Lye, and then soak it in Water and see if it tastes good?

Frazod
03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
My grandpa used to drink Falstaff beer, after he sprinkled salt in it.

He liked liver and onions, too. It may not be weird, but it is disgusting. I hate onions.

Frosty
03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
My grandma liked peanut butter and sweet onion sandwiches. It's weird but actually not too bad.

loochy
03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
My grandma always used to make stewed tomatoes with pieces of white bread in it and lots of pepper on top. I've never seen that since.

Demonpenz
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
my grandma who is from Austria would do all kinds of crazy shit. Bread rolled in sugar and dumped into milk. Soup with duck but for some reason there was blood in the soup. Duck blood soup

FAX
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM
It wasn't my grandmother ... somebody else's. But her practice was to sip her coffee - not from the cup - but from the saucer. I always thought that was an odd, but somehow endearing, practice.

FAX

Frazod
03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
my grandma who is from Austria would do all kinds of crazy shit. Bread rolled in sugar and dumped into milk. Soup with duck but for some reason there was blood in the soup. Duck blood soup

Sounds Klingon. :D

Fish
03-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Grandpa used to drink some concoction of Vinegar and Apple juice. It was supposed to help with something or other. Quite a shocker when I went get a drink of what I thought was just Apple juice, and took a big swig of that.....

Pitt Gorilla
03-04-2010, 04:38 PM
My grandma always used to make stewed tomatoes with pieces of white bread in it and lots of pepper on top. I've never seen that since.Breaded tomatoes, or whatever other folks call them, are wonderful.

Frazod
03-04-2010, 04:38 PM
I remember my grandma used epson salt as a laxative. A brutally effective one, too.

Demonpenz
03-04-2010, 04:40 PM
"This is an old Polish recipe that was used at Easter time. This recipe is traditionally served with home made noodles. If desired the fruit can be removed, leaving broth to serve with noodle. If you do not know where to purchase a duck, contact a local farmer or butcher. If you prepare your own poultry be sure to add 1/2 cup vinegar to duck blood to prevent coagulation

Kylo Ren
03-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Head cheese....... beef tounge....... pickled pigs feet. Ugh! G'pa used to eat all of that. Not often, but once in a while.

raybec 4
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Hogs head cheese....fuggin awful.

penchief
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
My grandma used to chew tobacco old school. She had a spittoon next to her rocking chair.

aturnis
03-04-2010, 04:56 PM

Great depression food? I think my girlfriends mom would put sugar in milk or water or something with bread. My girlfriend said it's good, but probably only b/c she grew up w/ it. Weird shit I tell ya.

MOhillbilly
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
My dads dad ate.
lutefisk
headcheese
pigbrains
hogjowls
ox tail
chicken feet
chicken necks
balls of any quadruped or fowl
pretty much anything hardcore nasty...i cant say shit cause i eat it...

well everything but beer kask cheese, that shit smells like diapers and tastes like what youd imagine diapers to taste like. ****in nasty.

aturnis
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Breaded tomatoes, or whatever other folks call them, are wonderful.

Fried green tomatoes?

gblowfish
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
My grandpa loved straight horseradish. The hotter, the better. Used to to clear his sinus. He also put salt and tomato juice in his beer.

philfree
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Nothing strange really. Peanut butter and white syrup sandwichs served with chili. It's great!

PhilFree:arrow:

aturnis
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM

That's what I was mentioning in my earlier post. WTF is that about? My guess is it was a depression era thing.

raybec 4
03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
My dads dad ate.
lutefisk
headcheese
pigbrains
hogjowls
ox tail
chicken feet
chicken necks
balls of any quadruped or fowl
pretty much anything hardcore nasty...i cant say shit cause i eat it...

well everything but beer kask cheese, that shit smells like diapers and tastes like what youd imagine diapers to taste like. ****in nasty.

What the hell is beer kask cheese?

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I remember my grandma used epson salt as a laxative. A brutally effective one, too.

We mix Epsom Salt in our sow feed right before they have their piglets to loosen their stool and make the farrowing process easier.

And what did my grandpa used to eat that was weird?

My Grandma.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I loves me a tomato sammich.

orange
03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Horehound candy.

Gaaaaghhh.

The Franchise
03-04-2010, 05:08 PM
My Grandpa used to eat honey and peas together. He used to smother his knife in honey....because it helped pick up the peas.

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
mohllbilly already mentioned it, but in her later years my grandmother lamented the fact that the local store no longer carried chicken feet.

Dave Lane
03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Watch the evening news...

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
We also had squirrel on occasion at my grandmother's house after my dad or uncles would go kill a few in the woods. It was a furry Christmas alternative to ham or turkey.

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
And that was my dad's side of the family. On my mom's side, Grandpa Dahmer used to ... well, it's a long story.

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 05:19 PM
On a less weird basis, I'm curious about the evolution of candy. My generation tends to go for chocolate. Was chocolate widely consumed during the depression era? Was it hard to preserve without air conditioning? I don't know if my grandparents liked chocolate, but when we'd go over to their house they always had hard candies - ribbon candy, butterscotches, and a dozen other varieties I don't remember right now. And usually they were in a bowl all stuck together so you had to chisel off the piece you wanted. I wonder what the sales trends are for hard candies, because I can't imagine that they're as popular now as they were with the older generations.

(And I'll exempt Werther's from the above discussion, because Werther's candies rock.)

rageeumr
03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Grandpa ate (eats?) Cow brain sandwiches.

CHENZ A!
03-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Pops loves some anchovy and green olive pizza.
Posted via Mobile Device

flipped cracker
03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
grandma eats balut which is fermented duck eggs. that stuff is nasty.
http://images.google.com/images?q=balut

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 05:41 PM

You win.

Demonpenz
03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Grandpa ate (eats?) Cow brain sandwiches.

lawlz Millers grill used to serve them in st joe!

stlchiefs
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I've done the salt in the beer thing and enjoy tomato juice in beer = red beer, both of which relatives did/do. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is raw ground beef. It's a german holiday thing that we usually have. Spread it on a cracker and eat away. Mad cow be damned!

RJ
03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
It wasn't my grandmother ... somebody else's. But her practice was to sip her coffee - not from the cup - but from the saucer. I always thought that was an odd, but somehow endearing, practice.

FAX

I had a grandma who did that. I never understood it, but she sure seemed to enjoy it. She would put her cream and sugar in the cup and then over fill the coffee so it spilled over into the saucer, then sip from the saucer. I always figured it was a southern thing.

RJ
03-04-2010, 06:27 PM

My grandpa liked buttermilk with crackers crumbled in the glass and pepper. He also liked crackers crumbled just in white milk. Apparently in the depression that was a dessert. Another thing he loved was rice pudding. I think that stuff was comfort food from childhood.

RJ
03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I've done the salt in the beer thing and enjoy tomato juice in beer = red beer, both of which relatives did/do. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is raw ground beef. It's a german holiday thing that we usually have. Spread it on a cracker and eat away. Mad cow be damned!

I love red beers.

My stepdad really enjoys a raw beef sandwich on rye bread with onion. Sometimes he adds limburger cheese. He also enjoys boiled tripe with lemon and olive oil. That's an Italian thing, apparently.

RJ
03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a damn fine pizza, right there.

One of my favorite combinations is pepperoni, onion and anchovy.

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I assumed you were supposed to drink buttermilk straight. What else would you do with it? Or is it supposed to be just for cooking?

My grandpa drank buttermilk. I assumed it was no different than drinking milk.

DaFace
03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
One of my wife's grandpas eats nothing but sausage biscuits 90 percrnt of the time. Three times a day every day. Seriously.
Posted via Mobile Device

RJ
03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
mohllbilly already mentioned it, but in her later years my grandmother lamented the fact that the local store no longer carried chicken feet.

Yeah, these days I can only find the canned chicken feet. It's impossible to find them fresh. The canned just aren't the same.

Mecca
03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Dude tripe is fucking disgusting, I worked at a grocery store in high school and asian people bought it, it just looks fucking gross.

RJ
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Dude tripe is ****ing disgusting, I worked at a grocery store in high school and asian people bought it, it just looks ****ing gross.

I've known Mexicans, Asians and Italians to enjoy tripe. I guess it's well liked outside the continental US.

Mecca
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Whatever it is...it looks incredibly disgusting.

Isn't it like stomach lining?

Chiefs=Champions
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
My grandpa loves tripe, liver, kidneys, brains etc...

Chiefs=Champions
03-04-2010, 06:42 PM

RJ
03-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I believe that's exactly what it is. My stepdad boils it in water with some vinegar and a I think oregano. It doesn't smell any better than it looks. Then he seasons with lemon, oil and s&p.

Tripe is also the "meat" in menudo.

Mecca
03-04-2010, 06:45 PM
I believe that's exactly what it is. My stepdad boils it in water with some vinegar and a I think oregano. It doesn't smell any better than it looks. Then he seasons with lemon, oil and s&p.

Tripe is also the "meat" in menudo.

Hey man whatever you wanna do with menudo's meat is between you and Ricky Martin.

bevischief
03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I loves me a tomato sammich.

this

Frosty
03-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah, these days I can only find the canned chicken feet. It's impossible to find them fresh. The canned just aren't the same.

I've seen fresh chicken feet (plus plenty of other weird animal parts) in pretty much every Asian market I've been in.

Buck
03-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I assumed you were supposed to drink buttermilk straight. What else would you do with it? Or is it supposed to be just for cooking?

My grandpa drank buttermilk. I assumed it was no different than drinking milk.

Have you ever drank it? Its pretty gross. Then again, I think Egg Nog is gross.

But Buttermilk is used in a lot of different recipes.

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Have you ever drank it? Its pretty gross. Then again, I think Egg Nog is gross.

But Buttermilk is used in a lot of different recipes.

Nah. I thought it looked weird and wouldn't drink it as a kid, and then have never bought it for anything as an adult. I probably should try it just to see what it is. Like you, I'm not an egg nog person, either, and really don't like milk that much, so I don't anticipate an epiphany. I pretty much only drink milk if it's chocolate.

Over-Head
03-04-2010, 07:32 PM
The wife's grandfather ate plain oatmeal with apple juice poured over it, a slice of toast, and a piece of salt fish every day for breakfast.

Over-Head
03-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Dude tripe is ****ing disgusting, I worked at a grocery store in high school and asian people bought it, it just looks ****ing gross.

Ya never tried "peas pudding" have ya ? :Lin:

http://newfoundland.ws/Newfoundland_Recipes_Cookbook.asp?Recipe_ID=Peas_Pudding

Sully
03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
My grandma, a few years back, ran over a squirrel. She stopped the car, went and got it, took it home, and had it for lunch.

RJ
03-04-2010, 07:39 PM
The wife's grandfather ate plain oatmeal with apple juice poured over it, a slice of toast, and a piece of salt fish every day for breakfast.

Plain oatmeal, as in uncooked? Or plain as in boiled in water?

That's probably a pretty healthy, though unappetizing, breakfast.

Over-Head
03-04-2010, 07:39 PM
My grandma, a few years back, ran over a squirrel. She stopped the car, went and got it, took it home, and had it for lunch.
we used to shoot em with pellet gun's and roast em while skipping school.
More meat on a squirrel than there is a sparrow jftr

RJ
03-04-2010, 07:40 PM

Do you think hitting the squirrel was an accident?

Over-Head
03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Plain oatmeal, as in uncooked? Or plain as in boiled in water?

That's probably a pretty healthy, though unappetizing, breakfast.
Dump it from the bag in a bowl, let it soak in the apple juice for a while then eat it. Guess it was the fact he had no teeth had something to do with it

Over-Head
03-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Do you think hitting the squirrel was an accident?
I know for a head shot it ain't easy if their moving, ya really gotta lead em.
i'll bet she sped up and swerved a bit too huhh?

Mecca
03-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I wonder if she ate all road kill.....possums here she comes.

CanadianChief
03-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Pickled Herring. I remember my Grandparents and Parents eating it when I was younger. I think I even had it a few times. I look at the stuff now and it just looks and smells wrong.

Norman Einstein
03-04-2010, 08:16 PM
My Grandad used to cook "haggis tatties and nips", or neeps.
Best I could figure it was sheep innerds cooked in the sheeps stomach, mashed potatos and turnips.

Nasty tasting stuff, I think he brought it over from Scotland.
My opinion is that he should have left it there.

bobbymitch
03-04-2010, 09:02 PM

Back in the day, the bars in central Wisconsin served Wildcat. Basically raw steak that had been ground almost to a paste consistency with some spices. A big hunk would be placed on a plate, surrounded by chopped egg, onions, capers, etc. You took a dollop of Wildcat put it and any toppings on a cracker.

No mad cow or ecoli issues.

Grampa would eat scrambled eggs, English sausage, and mashed potatoes fro breakfast. It was his version of bangers and mash.

I have had BBQ'd dog and monkey on a stick; not bad really. "Course I really like Spam as well. Not cooked mind you. That stuff is nasty.

Another nasty thing I tried was scrapple. Unfortunately for me, that greasy spoon used liver.

RJ
03-04-2010, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=bobbymitch;6577390]Back in the day, the bars in central Wisconsin served Wildcat. Basically raw steak that had been ground almost to a paste consistency with some spices. A big hunk would be placed on a plate, surrounded by chopped egg, onions, capers, etc. You took a dollop of Wildcat put it and any toppings on a cracker.

QUOTE]

Sounds like pate. I'd probably like it.

NewChief
03-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Squirrel brains and eggs was a classic.

My mom still eats buttermilk with cornbread in it. Puts tons of black pepper in it and eats it like a shake or sundae.

The old women (and a lot of the kids back in the day) liked to smoke grape vine and crossvine as well as dip snuff.

I love Southern Arkansas.

NewChief
03-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Back in the day, the bars in central Wisconsin served Wildcat. Basically raw steak that had been ground almost to a paste consistency with some spices. A big hunk would be placed on a plate, surrounded by chopped egg, onions, capers, etc. You took a dollop of Wildcat put it and any toppings on a cracker.

This sounds absolutely delicious.

Mecca
03-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Man didn't anyone ever tell you guys you aren't suppose to eat raw meat?

stlchiefs
03-04-2010, 09:16 PM

NO WAY! Is this legit or just bs? :eek: I'd have to say this would win the thread for me. Eating crazy stuff is one thing. Eating crazy roadkill is a step further! Was grandma sitting on top of the truck in a rocking chair? kidding ;)

NewChief
03-04-2010, 09:18 PM

Filipino?

FAX
03-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Whatever you do, don't order the soup.

http://www.break.com/index/chick-throws-embarrassing-tantrum-over-soup.html

FAX

DMAC
03-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Kraft Mac & Cheese topped with a heaping load of ketchup.

MOhillbilly
03-05-2010, 08:00 AM
My grandpa loved straight horseradish. The hotter, the better. Used to to clear his sinus. He also put salt and tomato juice in his beer.

red beers were a 10 am tradition down on the farm.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Buttermilk is a 'byproduct' of making butter - basically everything that doesn't turn to butter in the churn. Before good roads/milk trucks, farmers who couldn't sell milk made butter and sold that. They were left with a LOT of buttermilk, it was the drink of choice for farm-folk. The traditional crackers or cornbread in buttermilk (sometimes called 'clabber') was an affordable snack, when I was a kid in the ozarks this was what the old country folks offered children like me. It's nothing to write home about, but for po' folks it beats the hell out of going hungry. For those who haven't had it, buttermilk is not unlike plain yoghurt or kefir. It's pretty good for you, so far as dairy goes, and is more digestible than 'sweet' milk (as opposed to buttermilk). I like it mixed 40-60 w/OJ, tastes kind of like an Orange Julius - YMMV, of course. On our farm, extra buttermilk was mixed w/ground corn and fed to pigs, who fattened up on it until autumn when they magically turned into hams, bacon and sausages. Carrying the 5 gallon buckets of 'hog slop' (grain + milk + vegetable scraps from the kitchen and anything else semi-edible') was pretty hard work...and for you weight lifters, this is the origin of 'the Farmer's walk' that you'll sometimes see strength athletes working on. Just pick up 50lbs - 100 lbs or so in each hand and walk as far as you can.

Fried brains were a staple in the corner bars of St. Louis when I was a kid - I always assumed this was a germanic slaughterhouse-town treat, as everyone we knew back then was a German hillbilly who'd escaped to the big city. Fried Brain sandwiches or fried brains w/scrambled eggs are no big deal - think 'unseasoned sausage' and you're pretty close in taste/texture.

Coffee in the saucer is old-skool. In the olden days, coffee was a boiled product, and often came to the table too hot to drink. You add cream/sweetening to your saucer and pour some coffee in/slop some over. The wider circum/shallow depth let the coffee cool quickly. You drank this while your cup cooled off. No need to do this w/coffee-maker java as it's never boiled, never really all that hot.

Pickled herring/roll mops were traditional 'free lunch' bar food, as were pickled pigs feet, deviled eggs/pickled eggs. A lot of fellows my grandpa's age had lived thru the pre-prohibition era when the free lunch or nickel lunch was a good reason for a guy to go to the bar, buy a beer and gossip. If you've never gotten a free lunch (TANSTAAFL = There ain't no such thing as a free lunch/Missouri's own Robert Heinlein) then you may never have tasted these freebies, but there was a time when we had skinny, hungry worker bees in this country instead of obese cubicle rats. Eh, it could happen again. My Grandpa ate 'roll mops' and sardines every chance he got. I keep up the sardines tradition, but never really liked the rollmops.

Head cheese...if you carry those heavy buckets of slop every day to feed them damn pigs (and dodge getting eaten by the pigs your own self) then when the time comes you eat every bit, including the tail. Everything but the squeal. Headcheese is not half bad if it's well made. Likewise, beef tongue makes a great roast beef sandwich. But I'll admit you had to grow up on most of this to really enjoy 'em. Which reminds me of one of my favorite quotes...

"What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?" ~Lin Yutang

NewChief
03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Head cheese...if you carry those heavy buckets of slop every day to feed them damn pigs (and dodge getting eaten by the pigs your own self) then when the time comes you eat every bit, including the tail. Everything but the squeal. Headcheese is not half bad if it's well made. Likewise, beef tongue makes a great roast beef sandwich. But I'll admit you had to grow up on most of this to really enjoy 'em. Which reminds me of one of my favorite quotes...

The cool thing is that this attitude is coming back pretty hard core in contemporary culinary culture. With the "snout to tail" or "nose to tail" movement. Butchering, sausage making, and eating organs is all coming back into vogue.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2010/02/24/snout_to_tail_is_the_route_chefs_are_taking_with_the_whole_pig_these_days/

There's a cookbook out on it as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Beast-Nose-Tail-Eating/dp/0060585366

This explains why nose-to-tail is "green."
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/nose-tail-eat-animal.html

Mr. Laz
03-05-2010, 11:36 AM
ketchup on cottage cheese

:shrug:

CoMoChief
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
My grandparents make home made Pea soup and I fucking hate it.

Red Beans
03-05-2010, 11:42 AM
My Grandma said she loved squirrel brains. She'd fry them up like scrambled eggs. Sounds...well...it sounds nuts to me. My Grandpa used to love dipping cornbread in bacon grease. Had to stop that action once his health started to go. He always talked shit on my Grandma's cooking becasue she regulated what he ate later in life. Funny stuff. He was a quater Cherokee and talked about making some kind of bread/tortilla thing out of crushed acorns. They grew up in the depression so I'm sure that list of crazy shit is actually a mile long...

ChiTown
03-05-2010, 11:45 AM
red beers were a 10 am tradition down on the farm.

They were a tradition at the Aggie Lounge aka "The Lou" in Manhattan, KS. Loved that place.........:toast:

Rain Man
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Filipino?

I doubt it. Filipinos are mammals.

NewChief
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I doubt it. Filipinos are mammals.

Bravo. :clap:

MOhillbilly
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Fried brains were a staple in the corner bars of St. Louis when I was a kid - I always assumed this was a germanic slaughterhouse-town treat, as everyone we knew back then was a German hillbilly who'd escaped to the big city. Fried Brain sandwiches or fried brains w/scrambled eggs are no big deal - think 'unseasoned sausage' and you're pretty close in taste/texture.

i have picked more hog brains that anyone on this bb. Little kid hands make it an easy job.

MOhillbilly
03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
They were a tradition at the Aggie Lounge aka "The Lou" in Manhattan, KS. Loved that place.........:toast:

we would work in the garden or fields startin at around six, by ten is was time to start drinkin. :)

MOhillbilly
03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Buttermilk is a 'byproduct' of making butter - basically everything that doesn't turn to butter in the churn. Before good roads/milk trucks, farmers who couldn't sell milk made butter and sold that. They were left with a LOT of buttermilk, it was the drink of choice for farm-folk. The traditional crackers or cornbread in buttermilk (sometimes called 'clabber') was an affordable snack, when I was a kid in the ozarks this was what the old country folks offered children like me. It's nothing to write home about, but for po' folks it beats the hell out of going hungry. For those who haven't had it, buttermilk is not unlike plain yoghurt or kefir. It's pretty good for you, so far as dairy goes, and is more digestible than 'sweet' milk (as opposed to buttermilk). I like it mixed 40-60 w/OJ, tastes kind of like an Orange Julius - YMMV, of course. On our farm, extra buttermilk was mixed w/ground corn and fed to pigs, who fattened up on it until autumn when they magically turned into hams, bacon and sausages. Carrying the 5 gallon buckets of 'hog slop' (grain + milk + vegetable scraps from the kitchen and anything else semi-edible') was pretty hard work...and for you weight lifters, this is the origin of 'the Farmer's walk' that you'll sometimes see strength athletes working on. Just pick up 50lbs - 100 lbs or so in each hand and walk as far as you can.

Coffee in the saucer is old-skool. In the olden days, coffee was a boiled product, and often came to the table too hot to drink. You add cream/sweetening to your saucer and pour some coffee in/slop some over. The wider circum/shallow depth let the coffee cool quickly. You drank this while your cup cooled off. No need to do this w/coffee-maker java as it's never boiled, never really all that hot.

Pickled herring/roll mops were traditional 'free lunch' bar food, as were pickled pigs feet, deviled eggs/pickled eggs. A lot of fellows my grandpa's age had lived thru the pre-prohibition era when the free lunch or nickel lunch was a good reason for a guy to go to the bar, buy a beer and gossip. If you've never gotten a free lunch (TANSTAAFL = There ain't no such thing as a free lunch/Missouri's own Robert Heinlein) then you may never have tasted these freebies, but there was a time when we had skinny, hungry worker bees in this country instead of obese cubicle rats. Eh, it could happen again. My Grandpa ate 'roll mops' and sardines every chance he got. I keep up the sardines tradition, but never really liked the rollmops.

You and i seem to be cut from the same cloth. Did your grandpa get his beer in a bucket? Mine walked across what is now kansas exp. in spfld to dinkledine brewery and get him a bucket of beer after his shift at the frisco workin as a blacksmith/cable splicer.

RockChalk
03-05-2010, 01:08 PM
My grandma really never ate any weird stuff that I know of. Beets is about the only thing she ate that I can't stand.

However, nothing went wasted from this lady. We would drive up to her house once or twice a month (she lived in Butler, MO) and have lunch/dinner with her. We'd find things in her refrigerator that had formed their own little colony of life. She'd try to use things that had expired 2 or 3 years prior. Her response was to always cut the mold/green crap off and use the rest.

I remember several times where all of us would have terrible stomach problems after eating some of her meals that she'd prepared prior to our arrival. I think it's the reason I have an iron gut today.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I've had buckets of beer in Hermann back when they first started their Oktoberfest, but I don't remember Grandpa drinking anything but Stag or Falstaff from the can (opened w/a churchkey).

One thing my grandparents liked, that I like too is sassafrass tea. We had to go dig up sassafrass saplings 'as the sap started to run' which is late winter. They used to tout it as a health tonic, it's the 'root' that flavors root beer. But they've found one ingredient (saffrole?) that can cause cancer so it's no longer touted as a healthy drink. You can buy 'Pappy's' brand of sassafrass extract - which has had the saffrole removed - and use a little of that with boiling water instead of simmering your freshly dug roots for half an hour or so. Dang, now I want a cuppa this stuff. Might have to go drink a root beer instead.

Liver and onions was a lot more popular when I was a kid in the country, we ate it probably twice a month. Doctors used to encourage people to eat calves liver as a way to get minerals and iron (in those days you couldn't buy vitamin pills at Walmart, you had to 'eat weird stuff' if you were low on this mineral or missing that vitamin). My Mom would soak calves liver in milk (or buttermilk) for a few hours before she fried it, took a lot of the blood and 'bad taste' out of it IMHO. I won't eat liver and onions just anywhere, but I like it if it's done 'like mama used to make'.

orange
03-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Your father is obviously a man of exceptional good taste.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1225/1375877491_b19f55fa05.jpg

:drool:

RJ
03-05-2010, 08:21 PM
You and i seem to be cut from the same cloth. Did your grandpa get his beer in a bucket? Mine walked across what is now kansas exp. in spfld to dinkledine brewery and get him a bucket of beer after his shift at the frisco workin as a blacksmith/cable splicer.

Back when I was a kid in Baltimore, you'd see men carrying a gallon jug up to the corner bar after work for a draft beer fill up.

Simpler times.

NewChief
03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
More evidence of the butchering trend:

http://www.salon.com/food/chefs_and_cooks/index.html?story=/food/feature/2010/03/11/rock_star_butcher_parties
Chefs and Cooks
THURSDAY, MAR 11, 2010 11:01 EST
Meathead fad? The rock star butcher
Sexy tattoos! Butchering parties in trendy bars! The latest hip food trend already faces a backlash
BY SARA BRESELOR

Andrew Lin
Ryan Farr at a butcher party
"The first butcher party," Ryan Farr says, "was called 'Hop, Hop, Hop, Into the Burning Ring of Fire.' That was on Easter last year, and we did rabbits."

Farr is the star of San Francisco's 4505 Meats, "Home of Revival Butchery," and he is taking his gospel to the barroom. He is one of a handful of young practitioners across the country who are staging bacchanalian "butcher parties," where they bring whole carcasses -- from rabbits to steer -- to bars, hang them up, take them apart, and cook them while wide-eyed partiers wash down the resultant meaty snacks with cocktails and beer. The resurgence of artisan butchery is supposed to be about respect for traditional craft, an emphasis on ethical, sustainable meat eating, and a renewed awareness of where our meat really comes from. Do blood-and-booze-soaked butcher parties cheapen these ideals?

Farr doesn't think so. "It's very educational," he says. "You get to see the whole animal, it gets processed in front of you, and then you eat it. And at the same time you get to have martinis or beer. It's just a good time all around."

But Tom Mylan, one of the butchers at The Meat Hook in Brooklyn, is not so sure. "It's a real double-edged sword," he says. "It's popularizing and getting people interested in butchering, and I think that's of value. On the other hand, it's one of those things that's so inherently flimsy that it's feeding this sort of fashion trend of butchering."

And the gory craft is becoming ever more stylish. In a trend piece, The New York Times called both Farr and Mylan part of a cadre of "Rock Star Butchers," and Mylan says "dozens" of television producers have approached him about a reality TV series based in his shop. "It's a fashion trend of the most hollow and irritating sort," Mylan says. "That sort of hyperbole just doesn't make sense to me."

Mylan fears that the people going to butcher parties will tire of it the way they tire of all fads, leading to a "butchering backlash" when people start, as he says, "calling bullshit" on the trend. He says, "Hopefully one out of the 50 people getting drunk at a bar, doing the latest thing, will stay with it and remain interested in it. But on the other hand, I think it's going to lead to self-parody." For people taken in by the fashion of meat handling, it will be "the thing they were into in 2010. Like, 'I was really into indie rock, and then I was into artisanal cheese, and then I got into butchering.'"

Farr sees butcher parties less as trendy events than attempts to recapture a more traditional mood around eating meat. "[It's] kind of the same thing as slaughtering an animal on the farm and eating it right there," he says. "It doesn't happen as often as it used to." He admits that some patrons miss the point. "There are always going to be people who are just coming to see a show," he says. "They usually are the ones that are getting drunk and pushing people around for chicharrones and hot dogs. But that's anywhere, you know?" He says that the majority of partygoers, though, come with questions about the craft and a desire to learn, and he encourages them to attend his intensive training sessions later. "The classes are for the hands on, face-to-face educational part. The parties are to have fun and to educate people at the same time, but it's not in a scholastic environment," he says. "You know, people are doing shots."

But this, according to Mylan, is exactly the problem. "It's kind of sending a message like, animals are like strippers, or animals are like whores." He doesn't consider himself overly pious about butchering -- his upcoming "Date Night Butchering" class at Brooklyn Kitchen, called "Lambs of Love", will feature "libations befitting a Saturday night"-- but he sees the bar parties as crossing a line. "It's not like we don't have fun at our classes, because we do," he says. "We drink beer. It's just not at a bar; it's not this group spectacle thing."

Bringing the animals and knives into a bar suggests transgression, a general sense of macho naughtiness that seems to undermine nouveau butchering's emphasis on respect for the animal. Many who trumpet the trend towards artisanal meat production note that some former vegetarians and vegans attend butchering classes, willing to eat meat that they take from the creature themselves. The point for many is having a personal relationship to meat rather than seeing it as a product under glossy plastic wrap. The point is to remember that it was a life. Hanging a steer from the rafters at a bar and cutting it while people slug bourbon and take pictures with their iPhones seems only tenuously connected to this concept.

Still, Farr urges doubters to look at the bigger picture. "I think it's disrespecting an animal when it's in a huge plant with ten thousand other animals, just going through a line, getting cut and going into Cryobags and Styrofoam," Farr says. "Packing a thousand pigs into a farmhouse that's supposed to hold 800 animals -- that's disrespectful."

He feels passionately that, no matter where he does it, "showcasing a beautiful animal that somebody raised," preparing it well, and using the entire animal is an expression of reverence. "I have the utmost respect for anything that I handle, be it a whole hog or a vegetable that came out of the ground, because I know the farmers and I know the ranchers," Farr says. And to him, the parties fill a gap in the public's relationship with meat -- getting to know their butcher. "Because that's the connection that was lost when the big corporations took over the meat industry," Farr says."There was no connection between the meat and the butcher."

Artisan butchery, still limited mostly to communities of food enthusiasts with money to spend on high-quality products, is not in itself a solution to our country's issues with meat, but Farr and Mylan are actively trying to untangle the knots of industrial meat production. They may disagree about details, but both men are remarkably passionate and articulate. They encourage debate and offer meat eaters thoughtful, and crucial, options.

"There needs to be something different," Farr says, "because there's a lot of bad meat out there."

Buck
06-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Just had a Mustard and Butter sandwich. Very light butter and light mustrd. The old man wasn't that crazy, it actually tasted good.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Buttermilk.

teedubya
06-19-2010, 12:41 PM
This thread is barftastic

Stewie
06-19-2010, 01:09 PM
My mom was 40 and my dad 41 when I was born. Their parents were older (in that day and age) when they were born, so I only knew my mom's mom. My grandma was 76 when I was born and lived to 94. She ate all kinds of stuff I didn't like from the old country (Sweden). I think it was more nostalgic for her rather than great food. Pickled herring, hardtack, etc.. She never turned down a great burger or steak, though. Heh! It always puzzled me that she woke up at 5 am and ate two pieces of dry toast with black coffee and had nothing else until dinner.

Valiant
06-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Did he grow up in the great depression?? Most had to be creative with their meals and have big gardens to survive during the depression and WWII..

Buck
06-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Did he grow up in the great depression?? Most had to be creative with their meals and have big gardens to survive during the depression and WWII..

Yep.

He also said that in Japan they would capture and eat monkeys, specifically their brains.

LaChapelle
06-19-2010, 02:58 PM
The so called civilized world is full of pussies
we turn up our noses at stuff people had to eat or starve
but being pansy puts alot of people to work

Bane
06-19-2010, 03:41 PM
My grand mother would only drink goat milk.I wouldn't try it for years and after I did,I was very sorry it took me so long to try it.very good IMO,but I haven't had any in years.

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Man, my whole family (on both sides) as far back as I can remember are all picky eaters. They never ate anything really weird. At least not more than once.

I, however, am a big fan of things like sweetbreads and chicken feet. My family can't handle that.

boogblaster
06-19-2010, 08:56 PM
cow brains .. chicken feet .. racoon .. all luved by me grand parents ....

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 09:23 PM
At the risk of turning this into a "chicken feet thread" ... I love chicken feet.

Just Passin' By
06-20-2010, 02:11 AM
I eat a lot more of the 'weird' stuff than my parents or grandparents did. Baccalau is one of the exceptions, though, since we don't need to salt fish to death in order to preserve it anymore.

Now, if you want to see some weird shit that people actually eat. there's always Hákarl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

I love to try exotic dishes, but there's not a chance in hell I'd be sampling that stuff.

angelo
06-20-2010, 06:31 AM

Most Asian markets will have chicken feet.
I find them delicious and weird at the same time.
Duck feet are very gelatinous but have a great flavor.

Ang

ElGringo
06-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Can't say I know much about what my grandparents ate, but in moving to Mexico, have learned they let nothing go to waste. I have married a local Mexican woman, and normally eat authentic Mexican cuisine. I have now learned to have a strict don't ask don't tell policy about what I am eating. An example of why this has happened was when we were eating menudo (which I don't find too bad tasting) I bite into something so hard I can't even begin to chew it, so I take it out and place it on the table. She proceeds to tell me, I guess they left a tooth in there (I now make her prescreen my menudo for no teeth).

Very popular down here are tacos (duh), but not just tacos de asada (beef), they have (and people will order these before the beef tacos) cabesa (head), lengua (tongue), and a favorite of the wife tripita (stomach). I have watched them raise and kill the pigs, and yes, they cook all pieces of it, and don't even make bacon. So yes, Americans overall are picky eaters and only eat the best cuts.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, chickens feet, also very popular down here, I haven't had any because I can't get past the way they look.

Baby Lee
06-20-2010, 07:06 AM
i have picked more hog brains that anyone on this bb. Little kid hands make it an easy job.

As Hog Farmer will tell you, the bigger hands are better served at the other end of the hog.

Baby Lee
06-20-2010, 07:15 AM
My paternal gramps' palette was tempered, rather than expanded, by WWI. There wasn't a chicken dish lovingly prepared enough for him to eat it after the unending rations of grey simmered chicken slopped on his plate in the War. The most 'out there' he got was salt on his Grapefruit or ice in his milk.

My maternal grandma was too good of a cook for there to be a call for anything but southern comfort food. biscuits from scratch with butter and blackstrap molasses, and a mix of breakfast meats. They did do head cheese [actually Souse, because it was spicier] but the local market made souse so tasty, we'd load up a few pounds to take back home with us.

Did have an uncle who LOVED mayonnaise on a saltine.

My own quirky taste is green olives on cottage cheese, delish.

OmegaRed
06-20-2010, 07:47 AM
When times were bad my dad would put together rice, miracle whip, mustard, and tunafish. It wasn't that bad.

angelo
06-20-2010, 08:23 AM
The cool thing is that this attitude is coming back pretty hard core in contemporary culinary culture. With the "snout to tail" or "nose to tail" movement. Butchering, sausage making, and eating organs is all coming back into vogue.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2010/02/24/snout_to_tail_is_the_route_chefs_are_taking_with_the_whole_pig_these_days/

There's a cookbook out on it as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Beast-Nose-Tail-Eating/dp/0060585366

This explains why nose-to-tail is "green."
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/nose-tail-eat-animal.html

For the past 5 years I have been practicing head to tail.

I make my own bacon, sausage and cured meats.

Head cheese when made right is fantastic.

Ang

lakeman
06-20-2010, 08:26 AM
My wife’s family is from the Ozarks around Plad and Wendyville close to Lebanon. They still get together every once in a while to enjoy biscuits and coco gravy. I love sausage, hamburger or even chipped beef but can't handle the coco. I guess it was a treat that satisfied the kids sweet tooth. They lived in a Army surplus tent for over a year so they didn’t have a lot. In fact you all talked about tripe, stomach, etc. well my mother in-law loves it all. Nothing went to waste when they butchered something.

soopamanluva
06-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Chitterlings! The nastiest crap I ever saw. It's smells like he'll when you clean and cook them and they look so gross when done.

Great Expectations
06-20-2010, 09:58 AM
lengua tacos are awesome, buttermilk and cracker/biscuits are a horrible southern tradition.

We have pickled eggs on occasion.

CoMoChief
06-20-2010, 11:04 AM
my grandpa used to take thanksgiving leftovers and put it all in a blender and make like a leftovers spread and would make sandwiches outa it. It actually wasn't that bad.

Frazod
06-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Chitterlings! The nastiest crap I ever saw. It's smells like he'll when you clean and cook them and they look so gross when done.

I had this once in the Navy. Granted, Navy cooks can fuck up just about anything, but that was one of the nastiest things I ever tasted - like chunks of rubber in greasy vinegar. Oh the humanity.

soopamanluva
06-20-2010, 07:02 PM
I had this once in the Navy. Granted, Navy cooks can **** up just about anything, but that was one of the nastiest things I ever tasted - like chunks of rubber in greasy vinegar. Oh the humanity.

I know. I keep trying to tell my Grandma we aint slaves no more, we don't have to eat that crap. eat another part of the pig

Rain Man
06-20-2010, 07:17 PM
I eat a lot more of the 'weird' stuff than my parents or grandparents did. Baccalau is one of the exceptions, though, since we don't need to salt fish to death in order to preserve it anymore.

Now, if you want to see some weird shit that people actually eat. there's always Hákarl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

I love to try exotic dishes, but there's not a chance in hell I'd be sampling that stuff.

That sounds pretty superb. Any food that's poisonous unless it sits and ferments for months, and then causes involuntary gagging in most first-timers has to be worth the effort.

bevischief
06-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Get re-married and do what they never did before...