PDA

View Full Version : Spoon shines for NFL scouts

Tribal Warfare
03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Spoon shines for NFL scouts (http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/behind-the-stripes/2010/mar/04/spoon-shines-for-nfl-scouts/)

By Dave Matter

Having just worked out for NFL teams on Monday at the Scouting Combine, Sean Weatherspoon could have sat out Thursday’s pro day inside Missouri’s Devine Pavilion. Instead, he had a score to settle with the stopwatch.

"All the reviews I got at the combine was that I did what I needed to do," the former MU linebacker said. "But, me personally, I wasn’t satisfied with my 40 time. So I wanted to come out here today and run it on my home turf and maybe do a little better."

He did just that. After clocking 40-yard dash times in the 4.5 and 4.6-second range in Indianapolis, Weatherspoon was timed in the 4.4s on Thursday, specifically 4.43 by a scout from Green Bay and 4.48 by a representative from Atlanta. Weatherspoon also set a personal-record in the bench press, lifting 225 pounds 35 times, one more rep than he managed in Indy where he had the second-best total among linebackers.

I’ll have much more on Weatherspoon and his NFL journey in Friday’s Tribune, including his thoughts on some recent unflattering anonymous comments made by an NFL executive. (Long story short, he disagrees, as does everyone he’s talked to employed by NFL franchises.)

If anything, Weatherspoon might have scored points with scouts by working out at MU when he could have been a spectator.

"I had originally planned not to do the bench press, but when I saw other guys competing and all my teammates in there, I said, 'I got to get under there.' That was my motivation to do that. … You definitely get points for that."

Weatherspoon said he has had formal interviews with 21 teams and expects to line up some private workouts with clubs in the coming weeks. He’s hoping to fall somewhere between the draft’s No. 15 overall pick (owned by the New York Giants) and No. 34, the second pick of the second round, held by Detroit. Anything lower, he said, will be disappointing.

Weatherspoon said he feels best about his meetings with Atlanta, Denver, New England and New Orleans, among others. He also interviewed with Cleveland’s brass, including linebackers coach Matt Eberflus, MU’s former defensive coordinator and the coach who recruited Weatherspoon out of Jasper, Texas. Teams that run a 3-4 defense told Weatherspoon they like him as an inside linebacker, while 4-3 teams like him at either the middle or weakside position, the place he played most of his college career.

He wasn’t the only former Tiger working out for scouts. Also going through drills were offensive lineman Kurtis Gregory, defensive linemen Jaron Baston, Brian Coulter and Andy Maples, punter Jake Harry and safety Justin Garrett, whose last season at MU was 2008.

Baston, who played in the East-West Shrine Game but was not invited to the combine, weighed in at 304 pounds and said teams have told him his best course should be to put on 15-20 pounds and plan on playing nose guard in a 3-4 defense. That’s what I like doing anyway, stuffing the run," he said.

Also in attendance but watching from a distance was wide receiver Danario Alexander, who told me he’ll spend two more weeks on crutches after undergoing a fourth knee surgery last month.

In case you missed the news, Alexander suffered a minor cartilage tear in his left knee during Senior Bowl practices in January. He had the knee checked out by several doctors, including famed surgeon James Andrews and Pittsburgh Steelers team doctor James Bradley, and the consensus was that the latest setback was unrelated to the ligament damage Alexander originally suffered in 2007 and has since needed three surgeries. John Uribe, the team doctor for the Miami Hurricanes, performed the surgery in Miami, where Alexander had been training since the end of the season, along with Maryland offensive lineman Bruce Campbell.

Alexander won’t be able to work out for teams before the draft and is relying on his game film and individual interviews to score him a place in April’s draft. He said he expects to be able to run and practice in two to three months, definitely in time for an NFL training camp.

He’s trying to remain upbeat, but, man, hasn’t this kid endured enough? He’s got the Book of Job of left knees.

"I’ve been through a lot, but I’ve got to stay positive,"he told me. "There’s times when I get down, especially right after the surgery. I was like, ‘Man, I could have done this different or that different.’ And just being around" pro day, "I really want to compete. But I know the only way I can get back to where I’m supposed to be is to stay positive. That’s where I have to be now, man."

Missouri will hold another pro scouting day on March 18.

Nightfyre
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Say what yo will, but to me he's as close to sure-fire as you can get. I wouldn't be disappointed if we packaged picks to move up and take him as high as 15.
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
03-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I love him as a prospect, but Im not trading picks this year for anything.

In this draft every round holds a premium of an additional round with the added talent in htis class and the strength at the top.

Half of the second rounders this year would have been mid to late firsts last year and that holds true for about every round.

Mr. Laz
03-06-2010, 03:56 PM
gotta like his competitive attitude

Nightfyre
03-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I love him as a prospect, but Im not trading picks this year for anything.

In this draft every round holds a premium of an additional round with the added talent in htis class and the strength at the top.

Half of the second rounders this year would have been mid to late firsts last year and that holds true for about every round.

In truth I would much rather trade down and stack picks as well. I just don't know how you can get appropriate value trading from 5 to 20.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
hamas must have coached this guy up:)

or spoon lurks here
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
03-06-2010, 04:52 PM
This is why I have him going to Jacksonville @10 in my mock. He will be worth the pick wherever he goes.

beer bacon
03-06-2010, 05:11 PM
In truth I would much rather trade down and stack picks as well. I just don't know how you can get appropriate value trading from 5 to 20.
Posted via Mobile Device

It depends on what you mean by value. Say Berry and Okung are gone by pick #5. Clausen, McClain, and some OTs are still there, but our scouts have them all graded at as mid-1st value players, not top five value. At that point, it may make more sense to trade down to the teens, even if you don't get as much as the draft trade chart says a team should get for trading from #5 to 15 or 20.

BossChief
03-06-2010, 05:21 PM
If we arent gonna draft Berry or Clausen we should just trade back and get whatever we can get to do so.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Imagine this scenario:

Draft goes:

Bradford
Suh
Berry
Okung

We're sitting at 5, and Buffalo really wants Clausen. They offer us their second rounder and 9 for 5 and one of our 5ths.

Do you drop down to 9, take Dan Williams, and then package Buffalo's pick and the Gonzo pick to jump up to 18 (in front of the Falcons) and take Weatherspoon if he's on the board.

That still gives you your high 2a.

Thus, your first three picks could be:

Dan Williams (NT)
Sean Weatherspoon (ILB)
Sergio Kindle (OLB)

Chiefs=Champions
03-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Imagine this scenario:

Draft goes:

Bradford
Suh
Berry
Okung

We're sitting at 5, and Buffalo really wants Clausen. They offer us their second rounder and 9 for 5 and one of our 5ths.

Do you drop down to 9, take Dan Williams, and then package Buffalo's pick and the Gonzo pick to jump up to 18 (in front of the Falcons) and take Weatherspoon if he's on the board.

Dan Williams (NT)
Sean Weatherspoon (ILB)
Sergio Kindle (OLB)

Apart from Kindle i like this.. Though i would probably rather Clausen...

Nightfyre
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Imagine this scenario:

Draft goes:

Bradford
Suh
Berry
Okung

Dan Williams (NT)
Sean Weatherspoon (ILB)
Sergio Kindle (OLB)

Unlikely, but its a pretty sweet scenario for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Imagine this scenario:

Draft goes:

Bradford
Suh
Berry
Okung

Dan Williams (NT)
Sean Weatherspoon (ILB)
Sergio Kindle (OLB)

I'd love it.

BossChief
03-07-2010, 03:26 PM
I really like Spoon, and know that he should carry additional value because of him being a local guy and his motivation will never be an issue and that is highly infectious. That said, it would be hard to package EXTREMELY valuable seconds in this draft for anyone outside a qb or elite pass rusher.

If we move back we should probably stay put.

If I were Chiefs brass I would have a short list together of the 5 players I am considering at 5 and keep trading back till only 2 are left if that were possible.
I would be ok with another trade down and take him though...that possibility would depend on who falls to that point and who is in love with him. This is gonna be a great second round.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I just think that if you were to draft those three players, your defense is completely fixed if you sign OJ Atogwe.

You have two pass rushers, a young and extremely talented DL, a defensive leader, an excellent cover corner, one of the best young safeties in the NFL.

If you were to do that, I honestly think the Chiefs could have a top 5 defense for the next five years.

Spend the middle rounds looking for a SS, two interior OL, and a slot receiver.

Get your QBOTF in 2011 and give him one or two more weapons in that draft.

Nightfyre
03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Yes, but is weatherspoon worth say, jerry hughes and damien williams?
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
03-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Good for the kid. Go forth and make some money.

Hammock Parties
03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
God, he's faster than Derrick Johnson.

Mecca
03-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I think he's going to the Giants at 15 right now, might just be me though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-07-2010, 11:59 PM
I think he's going to the Giants at 15 right now, might just be me though.

If he did that, he might end up being one of the faces of the NFL. He's got the personality. In that media market, he could be something else.

Saccopoo
03-08-2010, 02:10 AM
If he did that, he might end up being one of the faces of the NFL. He's got the personality. In that media market, he could be something else.

He reminds me of Joey Porter.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2010, 02:34 AM
He reminds me of Joey Porter.

Joey Porter is a fucking cocksucker.

I've met Spoon. I talked to him for a little bit and bought him a drink. He's no cocksucker.

I think Reaper has met him as well.

Silock
03-08-2010, 03:16 AM
I talked to him for a little bit and bought him a drink. He's no cocksucker.

Maybe you didn't get him drunk enough.

Reaper16
03-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Joey Porter is a fucking cocksucker.

I've met Spoon. I talked to him for a little bit and bought him a drink. He's no cocksucker.

I think Reaper has met him as well.
Yup. We talked sneakers for like seven minutes on campus one day (I don't even remember why I was on campus then; I wasn't an MU student). No cocksucker.