PDA

View Full Version : University of Buffalo free safety impresses scouts at Pro Day

Tribal Warfare
03-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Wilson: UB's Newton figures to get an NFL shot (http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/05/977510/wilson-ubs-newton-figures-to-get.html)
By Allen Wilson
News Sports Columnist
Updated: March 05, 2010, 9:58 AM /

More than a dozen NFL scouts came to the Buffalo Bills Fieldhouse on Wednesday to watch players from the University at Buffalo chase the dream.

Many of the scouts came to the Pro Day to watch running back James Starks and wide receiver Naaman Roosevelt. But everyone left talking about free safety Mike Newton.

While Starks chose to stand on his strong showing at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Roosevelt made a favorable impression. So did fellow receiver Brett Hamlin.

But Newton clearly stole the show.

The 5-foot-10, 197-pound senior got off to a slow start, bench pressing 225 pounds just nine times. But on the field, he lit it up.

Newton recorded times of 4.46 and 4.48 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to some stopwatches. That would have made him the second-fastest safety at the combine.

"He ran a lot faster than I thought he would," one NFC scout said of Newton.

"Anything under 4.5 [seconds] is outstanding for a safety," added an AFC scout.

Newton's 41-inch vertical leap matched what USC safety and likely first-rounder Taylor Mays did in Indy. Newton also posted a 10-foot broad jump, had times of 6.94 and 4.17 seconds in the three-cone drill and 20-yard shuttle, respectively, and looked good in defensive back drills.

None of this means Newton will be drafted next month. He's projected as a late-round pick or free agent.

But the consensus at UB's Pro Day was that Newton enhanced his stock considerably. The Indianapolis Colts have invited him in for a private workout. More teams are likely to follow suit.

"I think the Pro Day gives you a chance to make teams go back and have to take another look at you if you test out well," Newton said. "I feel good about what I did. I think some team will fall in love with the way I play and take a chance on me."

I've often felt that teams put too much weight on the workouts. Former Pittsburgh Steelers coaching great Chuck Noll used to say he's more interested in what a guy does in pads than shorts.

If that's the case with Newton, consider that he's a four-year starter and two-time All-Mid- American Conference second-team selection with 343 career tackles (197 solo). He finished with 12 career interceptions, which is tied for the fourth-highest total in Bulls history and the most ever in the school's Division I-A era. He also ranks in UB's top five in passes defended (30) and total takeaways (16).

Newton's knack for making big plays were forever etched in UB lore when he made nine tackles (eight solo), including two for lost yardage, broke up a pass and returned a fumble 92 yards for a touchdown to lead the Bulls to a historic win in the 2008 MAC Championship game.

That's a pretty good body of work for teams to look at when evaluating Newton.

"I've done all I could do as far as showing teams what I can do," he said. "Hopefully my athletic ability and production will give me a chance."

There were 17 safeties drafted last year. Fourteen were selected in 2008 and 20 the year before that. So the odds appear favorable that Newton will get picked. All it takes is one team to fall in love with a player's talent and potential.

Even if Newton isn't drafted, he'll find a team that will give him a chance to chase the dream.

"This is really a blessing to get an opportunity to go out there and do something you love," he said. "Not everybody gets this chance. All you can ask for is the opportunity. If I get it I'm going to try to make the most of it."

RealSNR
03-06-2010, 10:19 PM
"He ran a lot faster than I thought he would," one NFC scout said of Newton."

The whole thing?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-07-2010, 01:38 AM
The next Michael Mitchell??