PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft The Dez Bryant Story.

KCrockaholic
03-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Oklahoma State Wide Receiver Dez Bryant, has a unique and deranged background. His past and present are hurdles that all NFL teams will have to beware before they even think about selecting Bryant. Just 5 years ago becoming an NFL prospect was pure mythical.

It starts when he was born to a mother who was only 15 years old at the time, and a father on the wrong side of 40. By the time his mother, Angela Bryant was 18 she had 3 children, and little or no money working as a cook in Lufkin, Texas. She then succumbed to selling drugs on the street, including PCP, Cocaine, and Marijuana. Soon after, she was using, and showing up high at home in front of her children.

Her criminal life caught up to her in March of 1997, when Dez was just 8 years old, a police informant caught her selling crack cocaine. After she pleaded guilty to the charges, her sentence was 4 years in the state prison. Angela Bryant later stated that Dez grew up troubled and "he was just around a lot of bad things."

While Angela was behind bars, Dez was sent to live with his 50 year old father McArthur Hatton, and was then sent back home to his mother after serving just 18 months in prison.

Football soon became Dez's passion, but mental issues caused him trouble and forced the schools to place him in special education classes. As time passed, he boomeranged around houses, living with his mom, dad, girlfriends parents, and others.

By the time he was in high school his talents shined through on the football field as he drew interest from LSU, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M, but most schools backed off when they realized how much of an academic mess he was, and what a liability it would be to offer him a scholarship.

Despite his troublesome situation Oklahoma State maintained contact with Bryant and their efforts paid off as Bryant was able to achieve just enough credits to graduate and then made a qualifying score on his 3rd ACT attempt. OSU offensive coordinator Gunter Brewer later said "we'd stick with him to the end and help in any way we could. We felt he was a good kid, he just needed a chance, and a break.

By the next fall Dez Bryant was burning OSU defensive back's on the practice field and eventually becoming the main target above other standout OSU wide receiver, Adarius Bowman.

All was not easy once he was on with OSU. His grades where still an issue, and he had to be walked back to class on more than one occasion by OSU directors. Thanks to the strong academic support OSU offers to its athletes he was able to find his way to passing grades through tutoring.

Time passed and NFL scouts began to take notice of "The Freak" from OSU with incredibly natural hands.

After his incredible Sophomore season, Bryant found himself in another sticky situation. The NCAA was probing to find out if Dez's relationship with former NFL star Deion Sanders was improper. The two had met twice in Dallas, and once at a training facility, and again at Sanders' house for dinner. The NCAA was not specifically after Bryant considering nothing that had been going on was improper. Bryant was then caught lying to investigators, and trying to cover Deion Sanders rather than save himself. The NCAA had caught Bryant red-handed.

"He panicked," Sanders said of Bryant. "He thought it was a violation to come over to my house, and it wasn't."

The suspension soon came thundering down on Bryant as he soon learned he would miss the rest off his Junior season and eventually become his last. Football is Bryant's passion. Taking the game away that helped make Bryant who he was, was very difficult for him to accept. Eventually Bryant left OSU and suggested that he would begin training in Tampa, Florida for his NFL career.

Dez Bryant now awaits to hear his named called at the 2010 NFL draft. Once that call is made to the Bryant's household, emotions will run high and 22 year weight will be lifted off his shoulders as he looks to change not only impressions, but his life.

Bowser
03-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Hell of a way to grow up.

Hammock Parties
03-07-2010, 12:49 AM
SLOW The Dez Bryant Story

The Bad Guy
03-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Taking Dez Bryant when next year's WR draft class is going to be sick would me me violently ill. This guy has tons of flags and issues.

Rain Man
03-07-2010, 12:54 AM
My god. She was selling marijuana?

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-07-2010, 02:06 AM
The next Terrel Owens/Pacman Jones/Brandon Marshall

He'll be a Raider

btlook1
03-07-2010, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE=Hog Farmer;6584147]The next Terrel Owens/Pacman Jones/Brandon Marshall

THIS!

teedubya
03-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Crack is a gateway drug.

Tribal Warfare
03-07-2010, 02:30 AM
Crack is a gateway drug.

to antifreeze

AustinChief
03-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Taking Dez Bryant when next year's WR draft class is going to be sick would me me violently ill. This guy has tons of flags and issues.
If next years class had NO Wrs.. taking Dez Bryant would still be beyond ridiculous at the #5 pick.

YAY let's draft a slow unproven spread WR that has MASSIVE character issues!

I would be loathe to take him in the 2nd round...

Fritz88
03-07-2010, 06:01 AM

He'll be a Raider

Not when Mays is still on the board.

milkman
03-07-2010, 07:11 AM
If next years class had NO Wrs.. taking Dez Bryant would still be beyond ridiculous at the #5 pick.

YAY let's draft a slow unproven spread WR that has MASSIVE character issues!

I would be loathe to take him in the 2nd round...

Does he really have character issues or is he simply a kid who's intellectually challenged?

He made a couple of poor decisions, and one would have to wonder if he has the intelligence to pick up a complicated NFL offense, but unless there's something other than the connection to Deion Sanders, which is nitpicky bullshit by the NCAA, I think calling his issues "Massive character issues" is a misnomer.

BossChief
03-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Fuck Dez Bryant.

We need a sure handed guy at WR that can get separation and he isn't it.

Mike Williams part 2

Give me Tate at 2a, or Benn at 2b or wait a bit and take defenders with those picks and take Demetrius Thomas or Freddie Barnes in the fourth/fifth.

Dez would be a worse pick that Okung.

Mile High Mania
03-07-2010, 07:35 AM
It's ok to question his background, but I think the red flags are more about the environment that he was in as a kid. Has he developed similar destructive traits? That's the real issue and it's not answered in this story.

The deal with the dinner at Sanders home is really a non-issue to me. Taking a WR in the top 15 is always risky to me, so I would likely go a different route, but I'm not going to hold the kid accountable for his home life. It's not like he chose it...

OnTheWarpath15
03-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Does he really have character issues or is he simply a kid who's intellectually challenged?

He made a couple of poor decisions, and one would have to wonder if he has the intelligence to pick up a complicated NFL offense, but unless there's something other than the connection to Deion Sanders, which is nitpicky bullshit by the NCAA, I think calling his issues "Massive character issues" is a misnomer.

I just breezed through it, but this piece fails to mention one of the red flags teams are learning about Bryant.

Not only was he often late for practice and meetings, he was often late for GAMES.

unlurking
03-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I just breezed through it, but this piece fails to mention one of the red flags teams are learning about Bryant.

Not only was he often late for practice and meetings, he was often late for GAMES.

:shake:

suds79
03-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Yeah pass.

If we're spending a high pick on any WR coming up, I'd rather save that one for AJ Green.

Bane
03-07-2010, 08:52 AM

He'll be a Raider

I want to think better than that but..........:doh!:

Rausch
03-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Football soon became Dez's passion, but mental issues caused him trouble and forced the schools to place him in special education classes. As time passed, he boomeranged around houses, living with his mom, dad, girlfriends parents, and others.

I hope the man finds some way in life to do well for himself but I want no fucking part in bringing him into the NFL...

milkman
03-07-2010, 09:06 AM

I wasn't aware of that, and that does open up an entirely new can of worms.

OnTheWarpath15
03-07-2010, 09:12 AM
I wasn't aware of that, and that does open up an entirely new can of worms.

I'd love to know what he scored on the Wonderlic, because after hearing him give a few interviews, if the kid scores more than a 10, I'm calling shenanigans.

The only thing this kid has going for him is he has good hands.

Problem is, he's slow, is a bad route runner, doesn't know half of the route tree, is dumb as a box of rocks and has serious character issues.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him drop out of the first round.

notorious
03-07-2010, 09:17 AM

....and so the discussion about taking Bryant in the 2nd round begins........

MahiMike
03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Michael Oher part deux.

milkman
03-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I'd love to know what he scored on the Wonderlic, because after hearing him give a few interviews, if the kid scores more than a 10, I'm calling shenanigans.

The only thing this kid has going for him is he has good hands.

Problem is, he's slow, is a bad route runner, doesn't know half of the route tree, is dumb as a box of rocks and has serious character issues.

Have you ever heard D'Brick Ferguson interviewed?

I haven't heard Bryant interviewed, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone could come acrosss a dumb as D'Brick.

College education, my ass.

Mecca
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Look now, Bryant is going to scare a lot of teams, good chance he falls.

But for the love of god don't compare him to Owens.

Owens is an extremely hard worker that has never had anything close to legal problems, he just has a big mouth.

Phobia
03-07-2010, 11:05 PM
I think it would be brilliant to hand that guy millions of dollars. I'll bet he invests it wisely and becomes a model citizen.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2010, 11:10 PM

He'll be a Raider

He's not nearly fast enough to be a Raider.

Deberg_1990
03-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Look now, Bryant is going to scare a lot of teams, good chance he falls.

But for the love of god don't compare him to Owens.

Owens is an extremely hard worker that has never had anything close to legal problems, he just has a big mouth.

Hard to believe T.O was a 4th rounder....