PDA

View Full Version : Trading down and not getting "chart value"

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 11:50 AM
How important is it to really get the "appropriate value" out of your pick when you are trading down? Last year we couldn't get enough out of our pick so we stayed where we were and got TJ. I don't know how far off the compensation was, but what is too much to give up if your player isn't there? Don't really care to debate who we want to pick, just assume that the team believes the player we want is going to be available at a lower pick

Just as an example:
Say we were offered a trade with Buffalo for our #5 (1700) for their #9 (1350) and their #72 (230) for a total of 1580 points. We lose 120 points but don't have to pay top 5 money and gain another 3rd. For the record, the 120 points we give up equates to the #95 pick, a late 3rd.

We'd have five picks in the first 3 rounds: 9, 36, 50, 68 & 72.

In my mind, its worse to pay a guy more than he's worth by picking him higher (TJ), just because you couldn't move down, than it is to trade down and lose points.

OnTheWarpath15
03-07-2010, 11:51 AM
All depends on who's on the board, IMO.

Had you told me we were taking Tyson Jackson come hell or high water last year, I would have taken just about anything to trade down.

milkman
03-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I think as the compensation to high draft picks has increased, the validity of the draft value charts has decreased.

Until they reach a slotting agreement with the union, the value chart will be antiquated.

chiefzilla1501
03-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I despise the draft chart. It changes every year. Some years you're sitting on Eli Manning as your #1 pick. In other years, you're sitting on Jamarcus Russel. And yet, both of them have the same value according to the draft chart.

Last year, the Browns took a bad deal where they went way off the chart. You don't want to do that. At the same time, it took them out of a high pick in what I thought was a shitty draft. That should hopefully show that things are changing.

KCDC
03-07-2010, 12:38 PM
If you really want Berry or Clausen there, you want chart value to trade down, if at all. If you are going OL, you trade to Buffalo and happily take a 3rd rounder. Or, you swap firsts and they swap their second pick for our third, or something like that.

Heck, I'd swap with the Patriots for their #22 and a second rounder. Even though that is only 1140 points for our #5 (1700). Most mocks show good players available at #22 (Iupati, Witherspoon, Gresham, Mays, etc.) and then we'd have another second rounder to take the likes of Ducasse, McCluster, Cam Thomas, etc.

Two of these guys sure beat Okung. They probably beat Berry too, for a team with as many holes as we have. Just my two cents anyway.

B_Ambuehl
03-07-2010, 12:59 PM
We could've really used a 2nd round pick last year.

Someone should put together a new trade chart based on probabilities. How much more likely is the 1st pick in the draft to be a pro bowler or 3 year starter vs any other pick? Go thru and do that for every pick in the draft the last 20 years.

aturnis
03-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I can see it a few different ways. I would take less value thank the #5 is worth this year just b/c this draft is so deep. There will be a lot of guys who have 1st round talent dropping down into 2nd round. It's hard not to value that.

On the other hand, I would take lower value in a year like last year when the draft is not so fruitful and a team might be a little more desperate to get a better value.

Chiefnj2
03-08-2010, 07:12 AM
At the end of the day nobody remembers if a team got good or bad chart value. What matters is what you do with those picks. You could end up getting raped on chart value, but if your picks are hits that is all anyone will remember or care about.

What was the chart value to move up and grab Sims? Who cares, Sims was a bust. What was the chart value to move up and grab Tony G? Who cares, he's been one of the best TE's in the history of the game. Did we get good value for moving down and grabbing Johnson? All I know is they passed on Polamalu and took Siavii a little later.

Ralphy Boy
03-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Did we get good value for moving down and grabbing Johnson? All I know is they passed on Polamalu and took Siavii a little later.

LJ & Polamalu was 2003.
Siavii pick was from trading down the next year with Detroit, coupled with Kris Wilson.

We passed on Bob Sanders for Siavii and Darnell Dockett for Wilson.

:shake:

Crush
03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
The Siavii pick was due to the fact that the dumbasses did not anticipate San Diego picking Olshansky. When Olshansky was off the board, they panicked and threw a Hail Mary.

Ralphy Boy
03-08-2010, 01:31 PM
The Siavii pick was due to the fact that the dumbasses did not anticipate San Diego picking Olshansky. When Olshansky was off the board, they panicked and threw a Hail Mary.

Like most Hail Mary's in KC's past, it got picked off and went the other way for a TD.