PDA

View Full Version : Mock draft based on CBS Draft rankings

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Okay, so I thought I'd take a run at a mock based on CBS' positional rankings, (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings) as if it were the Chiefs draft board. I don't necessarily agree with where they have some of the players ranked, but thought I'd take a stab at it with the rule being to not "reach" on a player by more than 10 picks past where they have him ranked.

They have the top 4 ranked as Suh, Berry, McCoy, Okung.

Pick #, Player, CBS's overall ranking
5 - Bryant, 10 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272524?tag=pageRow;pageContainer). I'll probably get slaughtered for this. I've changed it a half a dozen times between him, Bradford, Clausen & Spiller. I'd give anything to trade out of this pick, if Berry wasn't there.
36 - Jerry Hughes (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125969?tag=pageRow;pageContainer)OLB, 38
50 - Vladimir Ducasse RT (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1251194?tag=pageRow;pageContainer), 56
69 - Cam Thomas NT (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563224?tag=pageRow;pageContainer), 76
103 - Mardy Gilyard WR (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/556622?tag=pageRow;pageContainer), 104
138 - Jeff Byers C (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/504528?tag=pageRow;pageContainer), 138
144 - Jamar Chaney ILB (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1116461?tag=pageRow;pageContainer), 146
146 - Alterraun Verner CB (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1119272?tag=pageRow;pageContainer), 149

Really not how I thought it would play out. I really wanted to get a safety early, but didn't see one in the required range (Earl Thomas #19), that I thought would benefit the team more than who I picked. Nate Allen would have been there at #50 and would be hard to pass on.

KCrockaholic
03-07-2010, 02:02 PM
If Cam Thomas is available in the 3rd we should jump all over that. We need a young NT to mature with our defense.

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 02:06 PM
forgot to post where I got the pick ranking order from: http://nfl.draftsite.com/index.php?team=29

Their mock has us taking 3 players out of LSU & 2 from Alabama.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2010, 02:08 PM
No chance in hell the Chiefs take Bryant at 5

aturnis
03-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Agreed.

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Yeah I reallly don't see it either but I couldn't make a pick and I do think that Haley's frustration with our receivers last year showed his desire to upgrade the position before next season.

Think about all of the WR's we added at some point last year.
Engram, Copper, Rodney Wright, Webb, Lawrence, Toomer, Lelie, Wade, Long, Chambers.
That's 10 new players at one position, in one season.

Not that Bryant will ever be anywhere close to being as good as Fitz, but TJ probably will never be able to hold Seymour's jock either, yet that didn't stop us from drafting him based on positional need last year.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah I reallly don't see it either but I couldn't make a pick and I do think that Haley's frustration with our receivers last year showed his desire to upgrade the position before next season.

Think about all of the WR's we added at some point last year.
Engram, Copper, Rodney Wright, Webb, Lawrence, Toomer, Lelie, Wade, Long, Chambers.
That's 10 new players at one position, in one season.

Not that Bryant will ever be anywhere close to being as good as Fitz, but TJ probably will never be able to hold Seymour's jock either, yet that didn't stop us from drafting him based on positional need last year.

Bryant was immature, interviewed poorly and didn't even play last year.

Beyond that, Pioli's history indicates that he does not value skilled players in the first three rounds (Maroney aside - who's a failure). Pioli is far more likely to draft offensive line, defensive line or linebacker.

Not receiver.

BryanBusby
03-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Beyond that, Pioli's history indicates that he does not value skilled players in the first three rounds (Maroney aside - who's a failure). Pioli is far more likely to draft offensive line, defensive line or linebacker.

Not receiver.

Merriweather turned out decent from them, but yeah....tap dancing Maroney was a horrible pick.

and no, Bryant is not going to be selected. Chiefs will probably reach hard for Dan Williams if Pioli and Crennel think he's a fit.

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Not receiver.

D-line you are right about, but Pioli is not "far more likely" to draft offensive line in the first round. He's only drafted 1 in the 1st round, out of 10 picks and only drafted 1 in each of the 2nd & 3rd rounds. That's not to say there isn't a first time for everything.

He has drafted 1 LB, in the first two rounds, during his time in NE & KC and drafted 1 in the 3rd round.

As far as not valuing "skilled players"; He's drafted 3 WR's in the second; Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson & Deion Branch and two TE's in the 1st and one in the 3rd.

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Merriweather turned out decent from them, but yeah....tap dancing Maroney was a horrible pick.

and no, Bryant is not going to be selected. Chiefs will probably reach hard for Dan Williams if Pioli and Crennel think he's a fit.

I agree with the Williams pick and have said so before, but for the criteria I mentioned, he wasn't an option.

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
D-line you are right about, but Pioli is not "far more likely" to draft offensive line in the first round. He's only drafted 1 in the 1st round, out of 10 picks and only drafted 1 in each of the 2nd & 3rd rounds. That's not to say there isn't a first time for everything.

He has drafted 1 LB, in the first two rounds, during his time in NE & KC and drafted 1 in the 3rd round.

As far as not valuing "skilled players"; He's drafted 3 WR's in the second; Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson & Deion Branch and two TE's in the 1st and one in the 3rd.

So to recap:
First 3 rounds
WR = 3
TE = 3
LB = 2
OT = 1
OG = 1

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
So to recap:
First 3 rounds
WR = 3
TE = 3
LB = 2
OT = 1
OG = 1

So out of 27 picks (three rounds, 9 years), he chose three wide receivers, which equates to 11%.

He also turned around and traded one of the three.

I think it's highly unlikely he values Bryant more than Okung, Berry, Baluga, Williams or Clausen, especially given that he's a poor interview, has questionable character and didn't play in 2009.

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 04:49 PM
So out of 27 picks (three rounds, 9 years), he chose three wide receivers, which equates to 11%.

He also turned around and traded one of the three.

I think it's highly unlikely he values Bryant more than Okung, Berry, Baluga, Williams or Clausen, especially given that he's a poor interview, has questionable character and didn't play in 2009.

I agree that some of those would be valued higher but Berry, Okung & Williams weren't options based on the criteria I stated. So out of the people you mentioned that basically left Bulaga & Clausen and I don't think Clausen is an option for Pioli.

I agreed with you that Bryant isn't the "likely" pick, fact is I think they'd reach for Tate over Bryant but he also wasn't an option in this scenario.

If you'd have said "Pioli's history indicates that he does not value skilled players in the first round", I wouldn't disagree. You didn't though.

He has picked 25 times in the first 3 rounds, between here and New England. 6 of those times he picked some fashion of a receiver. Each of the TE's were right around 250 or less and were all looked at primarily as receivers. 6/25 = 24%.

As I already said, you were right about D-linemen. He's all over them in the first round and I've said before I think we'll actually end up trading down or reaching on Dan Williams.

The "first three rounds":
O-linemen = 3/25 = 12%
Linebackers = 2/25 = 8%
Your assertion that "Pioli's history indicates that he does not value skilled players in the first three rounds (Maroney aside - who's a failure). Pioli is far more likely to draft offensive line, defensive line or linebacker." = 2/3 FAIL.

I would hope to hell he would value Berry higher than Bryant, but both he and Okung were gone under this scenario.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2010, 05:05 PM
I agree that some of those would be valued higher but Berry, Okung & Williams weren't options based on the criteria I stated. So out of the people you mentioned that basically left Bulaga & Clausen and I don't think Clausen is an option for Pioli.

I agreed with you that Bryant isn't the "likely" pick, fact is I think they'd reach for Tate over Bryant but he also wasn't an option in this scenario.

If you'd have said "Pioli's history indicates that he does not value skilled players in the first round", I wouldn't disagree. You didn't though.

He has picked 25 times in the first 3 rounds, between here and New England. 6 of those times he picked some fashion of a receiver. Each of the TE's were right around 250 or less and were all looked at primarily as receivers. 6/25 = 24%.

As I already said, you were right about D-linemen. He's all over them in the first round and I've said before I think we'll actually end up trading down or reaching on Dan Williams.

The "first three rounds":
O-linemen = 3/25 = 12%
Linebackers = 2/25 = 8%
Your assertion that "Pioli's history indicates that he does not value skilled players in the first three rounds (Maroney aside - who's a failure). Pioli is far more likely to draft offensive line, defensive line or linebacker." = 2/3 FAIL.

I would hope to hell he would value Berry higher than Bryant, but both he and Okung were gone under this scenario.

Your math is off.

Pioli was in NE for nine NFL drafts, not eight (2000-2008). Even in KC, he hasn't valuled skilled players, not taking one until the 6th round of the 2009 draft, despite a lack of talent at WR and perceived lack of talent at running back.

It would be a tremendous shock if he took anything other than a lineman or linebacker with the #5 overall spot.

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Your math is off.

Pioli was in NE for nine NFL drafts, not eight (2000-2008). Even in KC, he hasn't valuled skilled players, not taking one until the 6th round of the 2009 draft, despite a lack of talent at WR and perceived lack of talent at running back.

I don't think my math is off. Maybe you aren't accounting for taded picks.

In KC, he had one 1st & one 3rd last year. Total 2
In NE he had:
2008 1, 2, 3, 3. Total 4
2007 1, no 2nd or 3rd. Total 1
2006 1, 2, 3. Total 3
2005 1, 3, 3 no 2nd. Total 3
2004 1, 1, 2, 3. Total 4
2003 1, 2, 2 no third. Total 3
2002 1, 2, no third. Total 2
2001 1, 2, 3. Total 3
23 total in NE.

That's 25.

As far as your comment: Even in KC, he hasn't valuled skilled players, not taking one until the 6th round of the 2009 draft, despite a lack of talent at WR and perceived lack of talent at running back.

Seriously? You're going to break that out. Seriously? One draft here and you break out the "even in KC" card.

It's been pretty well documented that Pioli had almost no scouts that he trusted here last year, his forte was defense and we were converting to a 3-4. He didn't draft offensive help at all until the 5th round when he picked Brown and we all knew our o-line sucked.

Its all irrelevant, fact is you are probably right and we won't draft Bryant.

Now that you're done (God I hope your done) dwelling on the first rounder, what did you think about the rest of it?

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't think my math is off. Maybe you aren't accounting for taded picks.

In KC, he had one 1st & one 3rd last year. Total 2
In NE he had:
2008 1, 2, 3, 3. Total 4
2007 1, no 2nd or 3rd. Total 1
2006 1, 2, 3. Total 3
2005 1, 3, 3 no 2nd. Total 3
2004 1, 1, 2, 3. Total 4
2003 1, 2, 2 no third. Total 3
2002 1, 2, no third. Total 2
2001 1, 2, 3. Total 3
23 total in NE.

That's 25.

As far as your comment:
Seriously? You're going to break that out. Seriously? One draft here and you break out the "even in KC" card.

It's been pretty well documented that Pioli had almost no scouts that he trusted here last year, his forte was defense and we were converting to a 3-4. He didn't draft offensive help at all until the 5th round when he picked Brown and we all knew our o-line sucked.

Its all irrelevant, fact is you are probably right and we won't draft Bryant.

Now that you're done (God I hope your done) dwelling on the first rounder, what did you think about the rest of it?

Pioli was hired in 2000.

Ralphy Boy
03-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Pioli was hired in 2000.

My bad, you're right. I had looked up his previous draft info a while back, while trying to get an idea who he would draft in the first round this year. Since they didn't have a 1st that year, I didn't write it down and forgot about that draft.

I should have counted it since his best draft pick ever was in the 2000 draft.

He added a OT Adrian Klemm with the 46th pick & RB JR Redmond with the #76.

Blindside58
03-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I love the Gilyard pick. He is the real deal.

Saccopoo
03-08-2010, 02:08 AM
I love the Gilyard pick. He is the real deal.

Did you happen to watch the Florida-Cincy bowl game?