View Full Version : Cardinals Pioli on 610 coming up

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
10 mins.....

[insert jokes]

[/]

Frazod
03-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I didn't realize Pioli was a Cardinals fan. I assumed he'd like the Red Sox.

MIAdragon
03-09-2010, 09:11 AM

I thought I read somewhere the fatty is a Yankee fan.

Frazod
03-09-2010, 09:12 AM
I thought I read somewhere the fatty is a Yankee fan.

I'm sure that went over well in Boston. :D

Crush
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Pioli's favorite pizza topping is Sausage and Mushrooms.

Dave Lane
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM

Thats strike one

Frazod
03-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Thats strike one

On him or me?

Crush
03-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Pioli has an itch that he just can't reach.

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:18 AM
he's on

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Thomas Jones is cooking him eggs right now

booyaf2
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Preparing for unimpressive no news.

nychief
Pioli has an itch that he just can't reach.

Needs more COWBELL.

OnTheWarpath15
Our first priority as an organization was to re-sign some of the scrubs that helped us double our win total last year. With that task complete, I can now focus on bringing in a few of Bill's castoffs for "veteran leadership."

nychief
tj in town today.

Hammock Parties
03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Says when he feels depressed, he just goes on down to price chopper and laughs at the little people.

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
"we are going to actively pursue almost signing good FAs"

"spending money does not equate to having good footballs teams"

he actually said one of the previous statements

OnTheWarpath15
03-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Dear God. That would have been a perfect opportunity to use the Clark .gif - but Im posting from my phone.

Hammock Parties
03-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Well, he's right.

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:25 AM
the "big FA" canard in full effect

OnTheWarpath15
03-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, he's right.

Having the payroll of a WNBA team does, however, equate to having a shiity team.

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:26 AM
pioli asked him to name a player the chiefs should have signed but didn't

he says "jason brown"

pioli says, "i was speaking hypothetically" and changes the subject

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-09-2010, 09:27 AM
It's a process

Dave Lane
On him or me?

Both :)

SenselessChiefsFan

Like it or not, it is true. The reality is that spending money does not guarantee success. There are more free agent busts than successes.

The key is getting better. As you draft, develop and acquire good players, the money spent tends to go up to keep guys that have been proven in your own organization.

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Like it or not, it is true. The reality is that spending money does not guarantee success. There are more free agent busts than successes.

The key is getting better. As you draft, develop and acquire good players, the money spent tends to go up to keep guys that have been proven in your own organization.

no, actually spending is a prerequisite for success

you can spend poorly, but have to spend..

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
pioli asked him to name a player the chiefs should have signed but didn't

he says "jason brown"

pioli says, "i was speaking hypothetically" and changes the subject

Not exactly the way it went. The host backed off the question and Pioli bailed him out by saying it was a rhetorical question.

jAZ
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Came in late, but good aggressive questions. He avoided the direct answers on the positional priorities and I can't blame him. Tipping his hand before the draft is stupid.

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
nick wright wasted 80% of the interview blabbing and asking the same question over and over....

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
no, actually spending is a prerequisite for success

you can spend poorly, but have to spend..

Pioli pointed out that when you go younger, the salaries tend to be less, and he is correct.

Now, as those guys develop, you have to pay to keep them. That is the reality.

It is much smarter to be patient and spend wisely, than to constantly chase the big name free agents. You would think that even casual fans would have figured that out by now.... guess not.

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Not exactly the way it went. The host backed off the question and Pioli bailed him out by saying it was a rhetorical question.

he gave him a name as soon as pioli asked the question, he even referenced Brown's agent saying he didn't want to be in St. Louis.....pioli ignored it completely and bailed....he didn't expect to have it thrown back at him

MGRS13
03-09-2010, 09:32 AM
The key is getting better. As you draft, develop and acquire good players, the money spent tends to go up to keep guys that have been proven in your own organization.If you draft shitty players even if you re sign them they are still shitty players.

Cosmos
03-09-2010, 09:33 AM
No Thomas Jones questions?

doomy3
03-09-2010, 09:33 AM
he gave him a name as soon as pioli asked the question, he even referenced Brown's agent saying he didn't want to be in St. Louis.....pioli ignored it completely and bailed....he didn't expect to have it thrown back at him

Maybe that's because you can't talk about another player like that who is signed to a contract with another team?

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
that was really a poor interview....wright blows

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
that was really a poor interview....wright blows

No surprise here

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/NickWright.jpg

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
nick wright wasted 80% of the interview blabbing and asking the same question over and over....

I don't listen to Nick Wright, but apparently, Pioli knew that guy was an idiot.

If you are going to be aggressive, be aggressive. Pioli caught him off guard with the question about naming a player that was successful in free agency last year. And, the best he could come up with was a center that played for a team that had the worst record in the NFL. Yeah, really made a huge difference.

Pioli could have taken him to the woodshed on that 'brilliant' answer. But, when he saw Nick stamering, he let him off the hook.

First time, and hopefully, last time I listen to Nick Wright. The guy is a total boob.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Maybe that's because you can't talk about another player like that who is signed to a contract with another team?

Not true. He could have talked about it being a success or not. Coaches and GM's talk about other players all the time, based on evaluations. What you can't do is say you want him.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:38 AM
No Thomas Jones questions?

He asked if TJ would be a Chiefs, and Pioli said he was in town today, and it remains to be seen whether he will be a Chief or not.

doomy3
03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Not true. He could have talked about it being a success or not. Coaches and GM's talk about other players all the time, based on evaluations. What you can't do is say you want him.

Right, and saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, we should have signed Jason Brown," would be saying you want him, right?

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't listen to Nick Wright, but apparently, Pioli knew that guy was an idiot.

If you are going to be aggressive, be aggressive. Pioli caught him off guard with the question about naming a player that was successful in free agency last year. And, the best he could come up with was a center that played for a team that had the worst record in the NFL. Yeah, really made a huge difference.

Pioli could have taken him to the woodshed on that 'brilliant' answer. But, when he saw Nick stamering, he let him off the hook.

First time, and hopefully, last time I listen to Nick Wright. The guy is a total boob.

i thought it was opposite....Brown is one player you could argue would have actually helped us, and I don't think pioli expected him to have that answer....pioli was using the 'big FA' ruse which is a distraction from the issue of why we're 90 mill under the cap

but it doesn't matter, it was just an interview...and wright is a dipshit, and pioli was clearly bored/irritated with him at the end....

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:44 AM
If you draft shitty players even if you re sign them they are still shitty players.

No argument there. The Chiefs were building a good core prior to his arrival. They had three good drafts before he got here. Last year's draft was a bit disappointing, but even still, Tyson Jackson looks to be a solid starter in the 3-4 defense. And, Succop was a huge find.

The Chiefs will be better this year, as they continue to add talent through the draft and continue to add role players.

It just takes time. I don't want a team built in free agency. Even if successful, the window is very small, and the reality is that those teams are rarely, if ever successful. Free agency should be used sparingly. And, a four win team should not sign huge free agents. They are too far away for it to make a difference, and the money would be better spent keeping their own young talent a couple years down the road.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Right, and saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, we should have signed Jason Brown," would be saying you want him, right?

He could have said, we talked to him, and decided at the time that it wasn't the right move, but in hindsight, we missed on that one.

He could have said, the Rams had the worst record in the league, how much of a difference did it make?

He could have even said that they tried to sign him, and wanted him, but he chose to go to the Rams.

He could have said any of those things and it would have still been fine.

For it to be tampering, there has to be some opportunity to get the player. If Brown were holding out, demanding a trade, then Pioli couldn't comment on wanting him. Or, if we were still in the season, and he were coming up on free agency, then Pioli couldn't comment on wanting him. If he were franchised, he couldn't comment on wanting him.

But, in the current situation, unless he specifically said something like we are trying to trade for Jason Brown, then there would be no tampering and no issue.

gblowfish
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Pioli's answer that "We're low in team spending because we went young" is BS. They've been spending low the last couple years to offset the funds put in by the Hunts in stadium upgrades. They're going cheap to re-coup those bucks. The Hunt Family didn't get filthy rich by accident.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:53 AM
i thought it was opposite....Brown is one player you could argue would have actually helped us, and I don't think pioli expected him to have that answer....pioli was using the 'big FA' ruse which is a distraction from the issue of why we're 90 mill under the cap

but it doesn't matter, it was just an interview...and wright is a dipshit, and pioli was clearly bored/irritated with him at the end....

Well, we at least agree that Wright is a dipshit. But, I really felt like Pioli was throwing him a life preserver. Because he could have slaughtered him. All he would have had to say was "How much did that signing help the Rams, given that they had the worst record in the league?"

Would Jason Brown have helped the Chiefs? Honestly, I didn't watch him play for the Rams last year. But, I will say that he probably would have helped. Even so, Pioli would have completely trounced Wright by merely pointing out that the best example he could come up with was on the team with the worst record in the league. And, then follow up with, do you want us to model ourselves after the worst franchise in the league?

So far, the Chiefs have been very Patriotesque in free agency. I expect that to continue. Even the Pats struck out with their one huge deal in free agency. The only time they have ever really gotten into the big name free agents was with Adalius Thomas, and he, by all counts, is a free agent bust.

I think the Chiefs will be better this year than they were last year. And, hopefully, there won't be a lockout in 2011.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Pioli's answer that "We're low in team spending because we went young" is BS. They've been spending low the last couple years to offset the funds put in by the Hunts in stadium upgrades. They're going cheap to re-coup those bucks. The Hunt Family didn't get filthy rich by accident.

Your reasoning would be sound, except Pioli could have went any number of places. He had offers from team, after team over the last couple years. He was in NE with one of the best organizations.

Why would he choose to come to KC if they weren't going to let him spend money. oh, yeah, he wouldn't have.

It's one thing if you are up and coming GM and you land your first gig. It is another if you countless opportunities and can pick and choose.

Tribal Warfare
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Is this the same Nick Wright who runs nfldraftcountdown.com?

The Bad Guy
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Is this the same Nick Wright who runs nfldraftcountdown.com?

That's Scott Wright.

BigRedChief
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I didn't realize Pioli was a Cardinals fan. I assumed he'd like the Red Sox.Since David and Don Glass are Cardinal fans, maybe he's trying to fit in?

the Talking Can
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, we at least agree that Wright is a dipshit. But, I really felt like Pioli was throwing him a life preserver. Because he could have slaughtered him. All he would have had to say was "How much did that signing help the Rams, given that they had the worst record in the league?"

Would Jason Brown have helped the Chiefs? Honestly, I didn't watch him play for the Rams last year. But, I will say that he probably would have helped. Even so, Pioli would have completely trounced Wright by merely pointing out that the best example he could come up with was on the team with the worst record in the league. And, then follow up with, do you want us to model ourselves after the worst franchise in the league?

So far, the Chiefs have been very Patriotesque in free agency. I expect that to continue. Even the Pats struck out with their one huge deal in free agency. The only time they have ever really gotten into the big name free agents was with Adalius Thomas, and he, by all counts, is a free agent bust.

I think the Chiefs will be better this year than they were last year. And, hopefully, there won't be a lockout in 2011.

I'd be curious to see how far under the cap the Patriots were...my guess is not much...and again, the issue is not "big name FA"....that's all anyone talks about, it's a red herring, and it doesn't excuse or explain our payroll...

and asking "how much better were the rams?" doesn't address the signing of brown either....he could have played great, and been a great signing, and the Rams still sucked...it doesn't invalidate the signing...

but again, it's just an interview....mostly i felt like pioli wanted to hang up

jAZ
03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Here's the interview:

http://fileskcsp.com/josh/nickpioli309.mp3

Starts about 13 minutes in for some reason.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I'd be curious to see how far under the cap the Patriots were...my guess is not much...and again, the issue is not "big name FA"....that's all anyone talks about, it's a red herring, and it doesn't excuse or explain our payroll...

and asking "how much better were the rams?" doesn't address the signing of brown either....he could have played great, and been a great signing, and the Rams still sucked...it doesn't invalidate the signing...

but again, it's just an interview....mostly i felt like pioli wanted to hang up

But, the guys the Pats are paying are big names they have drafted and role players.

They aren't running out to sign Julius Peppers.

Here is the thing, when the Chiefs are a good team, I believe their payroll will be much more. That said, I don't think increasing payroll gets you a good team. I have always been against big name free agents. The only time I wanted them was in 2005, when I felt like the Chiefs had one more year to really try and get something done. I think that impact free agents are largely a myth. But, I was willing to roll the dice for one last shot.

The most disappointing season, perhaps ever, was in 1998. The Chiefs came off a close loss to the Broncos in the playoffs. They got several big time free agents. They were preseason Super Bowl Picks. They went 7-9.

That isn't the exception, it is the rule when it comes to free agency.

Great teams are built through the draft. The core players come from the draft. Continuity and chemistry are key.