PDA

View Full Version : Football Broncos sign DE Jarvis Green

Mile High Mania
03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
DE Jarvis Green's deal with Denver: Four years, max value of $20 million, $4.5 million in first year of deal and $7.5 million in first two.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100309jarvis_green_signs_with_broncos/srvc=home&position=also

Ok, so he's 31 years old... had knee surgery in 2009, missing 3 games and is a former Patriot. Personally, I have not paid that much attention to the guy... so, what says you?

lostcause
03-09-2010, 02:53 PM
DE Jarvis Green's deal with Denver: Four years, max value of $20 million, $4.5 million in first year of deal and $7.5 million in first two.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100309jarvis_green_signs_with_broncos/srvc=home&position=also

Ok, so he's 31 years old... had knee surgery in 2009, missing 3 games and is a former Patriot. Personally, I have not paid that much attention to the guy... so, what says you?

All I know is that Scott Pioli is currently pissed he had to deal with Thomas Jones and Fargas in KC today and missed his chance to sign Green.

Amnorix
03-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, who knows what he'll do now that he's 31 and is coming off knee surgery. I can tell you that for the Patriots he was a very solid situational player, in particular a pass rusher off the 3-4 DE position, and spot starter.

He was, easily, the best DL pass rusher the Patriots had during the last 8 or whatever years we've had him. He also had an eye for the spotlight, with many key sacks in the playoffs, etc. IIRC, he had three sacks of Manning in an AFCC game 5 or 6 years ago.

As the Patriots defensive backfield has struggled, so have his sack numbers (perhaps unsurprisingly) in the last few years. You can look at him as a very good situational player / superb backup, or an ok starter. He's not going to excite anyone really as a full time starter, especially in the 3-4, as he's a little light for the position and may wear down over time.

BigChiefFan
03-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Pretty good pick-up, IMO.

Bane
03-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Looks like panic mode for McFistpump and the Donks.Text book win now signings,that indicate his ass in on the line to produce since he choked like a crack whore last season.

Mile High Mania
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I agree.... if they have thoughts of him being a full-time starter, then I think expectations should be tempered a bit. Overall, I don't have any problems at all with the structure of the deal and at 31... he's still young enough, there are a couple of good years left in his tank.

Mile High Mania
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Looks like panic mode for McFistpump and the Donks.Text book win now signings,that indicate his ass in on the line to produce since he choked like a crack whore last season.

ROFL Ok...

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Well, who knows what he'll do now that he's 31 and is coming off knee surgery. I can tell you that for the Patriots he was a very solid situational player, in particular a pass rusher off the 3-4 DE position, and spot starter.

He was, easily, the best DL pass rusher the Patriots had during the last 8 or whatever years we've had him. He also had an eye for the spotlight, with many key sacks in the playoffs, etc. IIRC, he had three sacks of Manning in an AFCC game 5 or 6 years ago.

As the Patriots defensive backfield has struggled, so have his sack numbers (perhaps unsurprisingly) in the last few years. You can look at him as a very good situational player / superb backup, or an ok starter. He's not going to excite anyone really as a full time starter, especially in the 3-4, as he's a little light for the position and may wear down over time.

He'll have Elvis behind him on passing downs...and Dummervil.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-09-2010, 03:38 PM

That is a piss awful contract.

JD10367
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM

This.

And this. That's a lot of jack for a guy over 30 coming off injury who was never a starter. I would've been happy if he'd stayed, but for that kind of dough, meh.

easymobee
03-09-2010, 04:02 PM

If Green is a win now panic signing. What is Vrabel? A win 5 yrs ago panic signing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Amnorix
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
And this. That's a lot of jack for a guy over 30 coming off injury who was never a starter. I would've been happy if he'd stayed, but for that kind of dough, meh.

IIRC, he was a very highly paid backup/spot starter for us. For example, he was the 6th highest paid Patriot in 2009 in terms of cap number. $1MM roster bonus, $2.5MM salary and $600K pro rated signing bonus.

http://www.patscap.com/2009capinfo.html

DaFace
03-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Yeah, that's my only thought. Seems like a decent addition in certain situations, but that's a lot of dough. Still, I'd take a little minor overspending over what we've done so far.

EDIT: I hadn't seen the Thomas Jones news yet.

easymobee
03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

T-post Tom
03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
If Green is a win now panic signing. What is Vrabel? A win 5 yrs ago panic signing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran leadership and continuity? Remember, it's a process. :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, that's my only thought. Seems like a decent addition in certain situations, but that's a lot of dough. Still, I'd take a little minor overspending over what we've done so far.

Denver should have signed Dwan Edwards. He could start at 5 technique for their defense, is 3 years younger, and definitely would not command a contract of that size.

vailpass
03-09-2010, 04:25 PM

I agree. What's with this win-now crap? The don't-win-for-20-years plan is the respectable way to go. Kudos to KC for not falling for that win-now garbage.

tooge
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Uh.... to the glue factory!

Amnorix
03-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Patriots beat writers are also noting that Green was a top notch locker room guy, for what it is worth.

But yeah, they're mostly reiterating what I said. "Super-sub", and "2009 proved he's not really a 16 game starter at 3-4 DE".

BossChief
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I would have loved to have seen him in KC.....until I saw that contract.

Yall can have em

ChiefMojo
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
So the Donkey's pay Green that much money and in the process we steal Thomas Jones... I'll take it!

vailpass
03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
So the Donkey's pay Green that much money and in the process we steal Thomas Jones... I'll take it!

I don't know how much Jones has left but at that price you can sure afford to find out.

Quesadilla Joe
03-09-2010, 05:59 PM

If a team wants to spend money this is definitely the year to do it. You know..... because there is no salary cap.

BossChief
03-09-2010, 06:14 PM
If a team wants to spend money this is definitely the year to do it. You know..... because there is no salary cap.

ya know what the long term problem is with that?

When you go to extend the contracts of your current players and negotiations break down because the agents use that huge contract you signed with that ancient player against you.

Overpaying for players is a shortsighted way of building a team with or without a cap.

Brandon Marshall, DJ and Elvis Dumervil are gonna have much more leverage in negotiations because their agents see the team paying top dollar for past prime players, so they know they can likely demand absolute top dollar for their prime clients.

I wouldnt be surprised if 2/3 of those guys hit the open market next year

just watch

DaFace
03-09-2010, 06:15 PM

True, though there may be one in the future. Certainly not saying this one's gonna break the bank, but you do still have to consider the long-term or a team could end up in cap hell once the cap (hopefully) is reinstated.

Mile High Mania
03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
It's only money and it's not my money... :D

I have no idea what Dwan Edwards is targeting, but something didn't work out. Hopefully the triceps injury is a thing of the past for Williams and with Green, that's two easy upgrades for that front 7.

Sure, they're over 30, but they appear to be by all accounts very solid guys and leaders, so it can't hurt.

King_Chief_Fan
03-09-2010, 08:13 PM

fools and their money soon part

TEX
03-09-2010, 10:52 PM
And the ship continues to sink...

Mile High Mania
03-09-2010, 11:09 PM
And the ship continues to sink...

Ok, sure...